Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dispersion shield gauntlet Mk.1

Gauntlet
4346029-1262623_10151581490287447_1219637856_o.jpg

Shield
Z1vT4gW.jpg

Image Source:
Gauntlet image: Here (Scroll down)
Shield concept art: Here (Scroll down)
Intent: To create a shield that is wearable on the arm.
Development Thread:
Will add if needed
Manufacturer: ZNI ( http://starwarsrp.net/topic/79309-zuguruk-napasja-inc/ )
Model: Dispersion shield gauntlet Mk.1
Affiliation: Shawken, ZNI, Open market.
Modularity: Crystal can be replaced but will requite it's own submission for that.
Production: Mass-Produced.
Material: ray shield components, particle shield components, Magnetic shield components, Synthetic crystal.

Special features:
resistant to Lightsabers, blasters and slug throwers

Strengths:
Shield: This is intended towards protection.

Strength and weakness:
Lightsabers: The intense energy of a lightsaber shaves of as much power from the power cell as a heavy blaster would. Locking a lightsaber against the shield drains it slightly faster than hitting it more often though.

Weaknesses:
Ion weaponry: As most technology in the galaxy.
Repeaters: Repeating blasters can rapidly shave the powercell's life down if left under a sustained barrage of fire.

Description:
The phased energy force barriers projected by the Dispersion Shield can be used to fend off close combat attacks with ease, including blows from weapons such as lightsabers that would otherwise smite a lesser foe. Dispersion Shields are also capable of deflecting incoming enemy fire using the advanced shield generators built into the device. If there are any nearby enemy units, users will often aim the shield so as to deflect this firepower into them instead, an action which can cause grievous casualties but requires quite a bit of skill in using the shield and reflexes above those of normal beings. What it can do however is protect the wielder with the 1 meter diameter that is a blend of magnetic shielding, particle shielding and of a ray shield.

Using a similar principle of what the lightsaber's magnetic deflection. Since blaster bolts are either plasma or high energy particles held in place by a magnetic bubble. When they strike a target, that bubble dissipates, releasing its contents to "splash" the target with the plasma/particles. Similarly a lightsaber is plasma held in place by a magnetic field. When it strikes a target, that magnetic field is selectively disrupted at the point of impact and heat of the plasma is released.
When a blaster bolt strikes a lightsaber, the magnetic bubble of the blaster bolt and the magnetic field of the lightsaber have a fully elastic collision, so neither the bolt nor the lightsaber are disrupted. Both bounce back from the collision. However since the momentum involved is fairly low (momentum = velocity * mass and the mass involved is incredibly low), the bounce back of the lightsaber is easily compensated for by the muscles of the wielder, while the bolt is reflected back at the shooter or another target guided by a combination of physics and the force.
Ray shielding works against blasters in a very similar fashion. The magnetic bubble of the blaster bounces off the magnetic field of the shield. This does however drain the shields powercell just like blasters, lightsabers and slugthrowers do.

Now since the shield does rely on a powercell it is capable of being overwhelmed if put under prolonged and sustained abuse. Alternatively the shield is vulnerable towards Ion weaponry or a sustained barrage of punishment for a duration of time. While aimed primarily towards allowing the wielder to go into melee combat with a lightsaber wielder the intense energy of the lightsaber is treated like a blaster shot from a heavy blaster pistol, holding a blade against the shield does entail the initial hit shaving off some of the powercells reserves but if held against the shield afterwards the power is trickled away.

Primary Source: (Please link the source of another writer's submission that you are modifying for your use; only necessary for "Chaos Canon" submissions)

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Darth Erebos"]
OK, so basically just a reskinned Gungan shield. Fine by me. Just add as a weakness that, since this has no particle shield component, anything physical (knives, bullets, shrapnel) goes right through.

[member="Darth Erebos"]

OK, if we're looking at mass-production with all these shield features (and same goes for the other sub), you've got two options to balance things out, I think.
  • Drop to Limited production
  • Remove the idea of it being 'almost invulnerable' to lightsabres - lightsabres would deplete/burn it out over the course of a fight
Your call.

[member="Darth Erebos"]

Thanks, but a little more detail is needed. Unless I'm missing something, the shield's resistance to lightsabers is now undefined. For both subs, please specify that a lightsaber will deplete the shield more quickly than other weapons.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] The main thought on this shield (At least the mk.1) it to be used as a dueling shield when using it against lightsaber duelists or to help padawans and the like against blaster using opponents. While it seems I'm of the not so popular opinion that the Lightsaber isn't the be all end all of weapons in star wars, I don't get how that will deplete the shield faster then let's say a rapid firing blaster which kinda makes more sense in my opinion.

[member="Darth Erebos"]
I am archiving this submission for inactivity. Please PM either myself or another Admin or RPJ to have this removed from the archives when you are ready to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom