Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion: Star Wars (Marvel) #1-4

Due to the extreme lack of hype here about all the current Star Wars stuff coming out I am taking it upon myself to get the ball rolling on some discussion. Right now there are some fantastic Star Wars comic series existing right now. One of them is the fantastic series called Star Wars! Novel idea naming a comic series after the primary title but I think this series is going to function as the main ongoing marvel flaghead comic. The other series will come and go, maybe to come again as new stories arise, but I think this one is ongoing.

This comic covers all of your core characters. Like Princess Leia, Star Wars comes after Episode IV but before V. It does take place a bit later though. It focuses on the entire team which include Han, Leia, Luke and Chewie. The story seems like it will be a bit segmented. The series also contains an incredibly healthy amount of Darth Vader time and is actually closely linked to his comic series.

Any Discussion After this picture will likely contain some spoiler content.

650px-Star_Wars_Vol_2_1.jpg

400px-Star_Wars_Vol_2_2.jpg

400px-Star_Wars_3_Cover.png

It is probably easiest to talk about the first three comics together as they contain the first ongoing story. Basically Leia's team (a fact revealed in issue 4) is just landing on Cymoon 1, which is evidently one of the largest Imperial Factories in the galaxy. They start off as posing as representatives from Jabba (one of the major plot points between Star Wars and Vader is the fact that after the destruction of the Death Star the Empire is looking to get more resources. One of those sources is Hutt's crime cartel) in order to infiltrate the base to destroy it. Things get out of hand. Darth Vader shows up and it turns into this massive high action romp. Luke rescues a bunch of slaves. Han and Leia commandeer an AT-AT with a bunch of slaves, which Vader destroys in epic fashion. There is a great chase scene with Vader going after Luke, and highlight just how much Vader has no idea who Luke is after Ep. IV.

These first three issues serve as a great introduction to the Star Wars comic line. They capture all the fun of Star Wars and give good screen time to all our favorite characters. They really capture the right tone and personality of the characters as well. It ends on a great cliff hanger as well.

Star_Wars_Vol_2_4.jpg

Which does not even get directly answered in the next issue!! AH! Now #4 is absolutely great. There are these incredible scenes between Jabba and Darth Vader that are just absolutely great. Jabba the Hutt is almost a bit too casual but it is wonderful. It shows the beginning of Luke's kind of identity crisis where he realizes that he is not a Jedi and that he needs to learn more. This points him in the direction of Tattooine where he is going to go to Obi-Wan's house to look for information. Great sub-plot as introduced through the Darth Vader comics is that Boba Fett is hired to look into Luke Skywalker (we also are introduced to another Bounty Hunter who we have never met before who seems to be competing for the same bounty). I'm actually really looking forward to this eventual encounter because honestly I'm not a big Boba Fett fan. I kind of have always been movie centric with him where he does nothing except look cool.

Oh yeah, the art is pretty good in all of these.

Seems pretty interesting! I look forward to further updates on this particular comic series.

More Darth Vader, is always the best too!

#VaderFanboy

[member="Selena Halcyon"]

When I first saw this thread, I had assumed you meant the #1-4 issues of the 1970s-era Marvel comics, which I was actually having a look at recently. I like the cover art here; it's pretty old school!

[member="Selena Halcyon"]

I've been checking out the old Marvel comics at the library. They seem to have a decent collection of them, though many aren't in the best shape. I've just been reading the direct adaptations of the original movie and Return of the Jedi so far, and they're not bad. I'll let you know when I get further.

These new ones rock though!

Haha, that sounds crazy. I'll let you know if I ever get to it. Project Tarkin with the cannon in space I've heard is pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom