Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion: Star Wars: Darth Vader #1-4

Due to the extreme lack of hype here about all the current Star Wars stuff coming out I am taking it upon myself to get the ball rolling on some discussion. Right now there are some fantastic Star Wars comic series existing right now. One of them is the fantastic series called Darth Vader. Normally I am not into the stories focused on the bad guys but this is probably my favorite of the current running comics.

Okay so this series is just great. The first issue of it starts right after the third issue of the Star Wars. It is not essential to read the Star Wars comics to understand this series but it certainly does not hurt. The story is obviously focused on Darth Vader and it does him justice.

Any Discussion After this picture will likely contain some spoiler content.

400px-Star_Wars_Darth_Vader_Vol_1_1.jpg

Starts off right where Star Wars #3 ends. It gets into a meeting with both Jabba the Hutt and another with Emperor Palpatine. The meeting with Jabba is evidently early and it is because Vader is personally trying to make a deal with him outside of just what the Empire wants. In his meeting with the Emperor he just gets crapped on for his recent failures both at the Death Star and at Cymoon I. It also shows that Palpatine is keeping secrets which Vader does not like. Ends with a great two page spread of Vader destroying a tusken camp. This comes after hiring a Wookiee Bounty Hunter to find a guy that Palpatine met with, and Boba Fett to go after Luke.

400px-Star_Wars_Darth_Vader_Vol_1_2.jpg

So here we get another fun issue. Vader gets crapped on some more and shows just how much he lives in this awkward place in the Empire. It is interesting because these are the same kinds of situations where he would have just choked a guy out. So it is obvious that he is going to have to do some great stuff to once again re-earn his status as top dog because General Tagge (a dude that left the Death Star that was in the meeting and nay-sayed) just treated him like garbage. Vader stomps on some pirates.

400px-DarthVader3.png

Things were already good but this is where things get better. So Vader ends up discovering a traitor amidst Tagge's officials. Stomps some more pirates and ends up enlisting the girl seen in the cover, named Aphra. Aphra's a bit of a weird character. She is a bit of an archealogist, kind of is similar to Indiana Jones in her hands on approach. She has an odd respect and admiration for the Empire and of Darth Vader. She also does something with designing droids or somesuch. She ends up working alongside Vader to activate 0-0-0, the protocol droid, and BT-1, the astromech. These droids are hilarious. Literally evil C-3P0 and R2-D2. Hilarious. USing information gained from them it leads to them going into issue #4

500px-Star_Wars_Darth_Vader_4.jpg

Vader, Aphra, 0-0-0 and BT-1 go to Geonosis to try and secure an army for Vader. Yep, he is building his personal army. The find a queen who evidently has been having robot babies. Its weird but whatever. The B1 Battledroids are a bit modified to look like Geonosians. Vader and Aphra end up securing the device needed to make the droids. There is an awesome scene where BT-1 just lays waste to the B1s. I know ridiculous but fantastic. They leave, there is an interesting scene where Aphra expects Vader to kill her, which confuses him. He ends it all with saying as long as she is useful she'll live. The Wookiee shows up with the dude Palpatine met with. 0-0-0 then proceeds to interrogate him. This leads to one of the funnier exchanges. 0-0-0 says that he has good news and bad news. Vader says to get on with the good. 0-0-0 says he found out the information Vader wanted, to which Vader responds by saying 0-0-0 can dispose of the man. To which 0-0-0 just says well then I have no bad news. I laughed out loud at that moment.

Then the bomb drops. Vader is heading to the planet where the dude was at. He inquires why the dude was going there and Triple-0 (that the group calles 0-0-0 ) informs him that the guy was overseeing the training of Vader's replacements. YEP! Next issue is going to have Vader throw down with the guys Palpatine was looking to maybe take his spot. Get hype.

This series is baller and the art is great.

Big fan of these so far, particularly the Darth Vader series (I've avoided the core Star Wars book due to my distaste for Jason Aaron, but I think Rucka's taking over as writer -- so I'll be jumping on, then. Brian Wood's 20-issue goodbye to Dark Horse's production rights is a hard act to follow, though). Definitely sets the stage for a weirder Star Wars. I love his Evil Indiana Jones/Han Solo sidekick -- "It belongs in AN ARMORY!"

I keep trying to tell people about the current canon concerning Geonosis (The Queen Mother having fused with a robot butt, creating half-insect, half-machine children), but everyone would rather cling to their precious Wookiepeedia.

Trivia: Nanobots are now OLD technology during Vader era. Have fun, Factory Kids.

That Geonosian stuff is just so weird! I love it though. I, for one, love the whole reboot of canon. It allows for better focus and more consistency.

The characters in this series are great. Aphra is delightful. I've seen some people not liking her interactions with Vader but I think they are great.

[member="Selena Halcyon"] -- This is cool stuff, I think I'll actually go out and get these. I've long since been wanting to read some of the star wars comic books, I used to read them when I was younger. Miss 'em. I love the idea of the falling republic, and the uprising of the empire. Thanks for posting this!

[member="Selena Halcyon"]

I actually did buy at least the first issue of this series, and I'm really like the art style in this one. For that matter, I've liked the art in the Kanan series that I bought as well. The one sticking point with this particular series to me is the name. I don't care for the current trend of naming everything very simply after a character or concept, since it makes finding things harder. It would have been cool to name it like the "Wrath of Darth Vader" or something, no?

By the way, the idea of a personal army for Vader rocks xD

Both hate and love that you posted this. Hate it cause I lack control and I clicked on it (previews really cheapen the experience for comics because there are already so few pages) and read it. Do keep posting them though because others might love them. However, this was the one that reminded me how much I -shouldn't- click on these lol.

POST CONTAINS SPOILERS PERTAINING TO THE PREVIEW LINK!

All the reasons I love it, because it is just DOPE and gets me all the more hype. Kind of hate the alternative cover. I hope it is an unfinished picture because dang... I presume those are the two dudes being trained to replace Vader but they look stupid on that cover. I imagine the comic will make them better but that cover kind of blows.

On to the meet. Those pages. Ah man those pages. What in the hell are those flying creatures? The first panel that shows them I totally did not notice the tale of one in the background and just figured there was one. Right? They are after all going for to a base. Why would there be more. Then next panel. Boom. A "fleet" of them. Crazy. Love it so much. Also interesting is the way Vader refers to them as abominations. I'm intrigued as to what this means. Is it just that they have been spliced with technology, or is there some weird sith power going on. I somewhat hope it is not the latter, at least not much of it, because I rather dislike things like that. Despite once RPing with Alchemy as a Sith on another board, I've grown to hate those powers and view them as very un-star warsy. It is the kind of thing that I was glad to see go with the advent of new canon. My opinion on it in this instance will depend on the scope, it'll still be canon and star wars (I can accept it more readily with the new story group) and I'll never be one to deny or question it.

Also, those cords come from the tales of many. Are they perhaps dragging the base they're raiding? Idk. Seems odd.

I like that Vader is flying in a Nubian craft. I can't for the life of me remember if it is his or Aphra's though.

Can't get enough of this book. It's like every new issue, there's another idea submitted and expertly utilized that I have received fuzz over trying to implement at some point on a Star Wars board.

*pats self on back*

Kieron Gillen -- Enemy of Dev Threads everywhere.

To be honest [member="Selena Halcyon"] I'm kind of hoping the same. I mean, some kind of weird Sith power might be cool and all, but I don't want to see characters who are entirely too overpowered and all that all over again. I think you were saying before how you often prefer the comics to some of the other material because of how overpowered some powers are portrayed in them, and that's the kind of thing that I would usually balk at.

Naturally, though, remember that technically no one can make you as the fan accept anything that you don't want to no matter if it's canon or not.

Speaking of weird alternative covers, have you seen Star Wars issue #5 yet? One of the alternative covers is a fake image of a Kenner C-3PO figure in the blister packaging.

Janus Viminal said:
I think you were saying before how you often prefer the comics to some of the other material because of how overpowered some powers are portrayed in them, and that's the kind of thing that I would usually balk at.

The exact opposite actually. The comics seldom over power the force, which is why I've generally preferred them.

Sorry [member="Selena Halcyon"] that was me screwing up writing there. I meant what you just said here, but phrased it wrong. I should have said that you prefer the comics since they don't overpower the Force as much as some of the other written material does, and I actually agree with you there. The comics have a portrayal that's much closer to that of the films, and I like that a lot about them.

I just fumbled my words there. Sorry for being a complete dork for the time, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom