Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirty Diamond, or Shiny Coal

luxembourg-aims-high-with-asteroid-mining-deals.jpg

"Touching down," Galven felt the familiar thud that rang throughout the ship.
"Releasing clamps," he suddenly felt the ship moving slightly, no longer held down by the large container they had just put on surface of this remote asteroid near Demonsgate. He had been wanting to look for a new mining outpost, and the mining crawlers he had co-developed with Meran Mechanics along with the barge he had ordered that could hold them were the perfect ways to do this.
The team had been out in the asteroids of Demonsgate for weeks now, not finding anything large enough to actually mine. This was the first place they had landed, as sensors picked up a large deposit of heavy metal, and the most common heavy metal out here was material for durasteel, a large mine would help in the creation of new projects and reduce their cost.
Galven didn't know why, but he felt like he needed to stay in the area, like he needed to find something. He walked up to the captain and patted him on the shoulder, "Kivel, get the rest of the crawlers to their locations," and walked off.
"Sir?"
"Just do it Kivel, I'll contact you when I need to," he said as the turbolift closed. He headed to the small hanger on the ship and had the shuttle take him down. "Remember, sir, there's no atmosphere here, so..."
"Keep my helmet on and I won't die, I know," as he fitted his helmet on and opened the hatch, "see you soon."
"See you soon sir."

As Galven left the shuttle the gravity suddenly changed, he was expecting a short fall that would require a crouch to stay stood up. Not the slow decent and barely audible thud as he landed softly on the ground; dust rising in a little cloud around his feet. He walked towards the large container, already there were dozens of people around the area, some scouting it for open mineral deposits, while others prepared to open the container. As he got close he heard on the comms, "opening in 3...2...1, opening now," before his eyes the front of the container slowly lowered down, the 70 meter by 60 meter door released a vast amount of light, illuminating the gray area in front of it. All of the teams, no matter what they were doing, stopped and looked, it was a spectacular sight to see, the massive crawler turned on its spotlights as it rumbled to life, able to be felt through the shaking of the ground. Galven wasn't looking though, he was walking straight to the sight director, Jeda Gon.
"Gon!" Galven called out on the radio.
"Mr. Hansol, I wasn't expecting you to accompany us,"
"Neither was I, but I felt like I needed to see the place. Tell me, is there anything unusual about the area?"
"Well there are an unusually high amount of crystal formations in the region, but most likely it was from a comet that crashed into it and the salt remained and crystallized while the water flew off."
"I see," Galven responed, nodding his head in agreement, but he knew better, the time the salt would take to crystallize would be far longer than the water would have stayed, "Either way, could you tell me where these crystals are, I want to see them."
"Of course, I'll get a speeder for you and input the navi points. They're just over the ridge there," Gon said pointing to a ridge a few clicks away.
"Good, now get back to work, if I'm not back within 12 hours send a team to my last known location."
"Yes sir, have a good trip," Gon said as she walked off towards the crawler.

The trip did not take long, the speeder was very fast, within 10 minutes he was over the ridge and met by an absolutely beautiful sight. All around the crater, there were thousands of glimmering specks, what seemed like crystals. The real jaw dropper was what was at the center of the crater, a massive crystal, driven into the ground as though a god had slammed it in like a dagger. It was at least 40 meters tall, and 35 meters wide, and that was all that was above ground.
Galven set off towards the titanic crystal, along the way he scooped up a few of the smaller pieces. They seemed to all be the same material, slightly clear, if not opaque, hard rock like a diamond.
Very soon he reached the crystal, and for the first time in his life, he felt small, he felt the power within it. The whole place seemed to hum, "This has to be expensive," he thought. He grabbed his communicator and radioed Jeda, "Gon!"
"Yes, Mr. Hansol?" crackled back Jeda.
"I don't care what you're doing, get an examination team here, I found something big."
"Sir?"
"Just trust me."
"...Yes sir, give me 30 minutes."
"20."
"already knew you would say that, be there in 20."

Galven didn't know which the geologists spent more time doing, studying the crystal, or gawking at it. Jeda and the team had arrived with plenty of equipment to analyze the rock (they were on a mining expedition after all) and even with all the dreamy eyed starring, it didn't take too long for them to determine what it was, "It's kyber," the lead scientist exclaimed.
"Kyber!" Galven asked, "As in the lightsaber crystal!?"
"Exactly," the geologist proclaimed.
"But how? Isn't the nearest planet Ancora?"
"It is indeed, that was why we were so hesitant to confirm it, but Dasid was able to make a simulation that could explain that,"he ended jestering to a thin man with a large datapad in his hands that never quite made eye contact with people.
"We-well you see, I uh, I think these asteroids were once a p-planet."
"Planet?"
"We-well, I a-always found it weird that uh, there were so many, as-asteroids so close together. So I made a model of the solar system millions of years ago. It never worked, bu-but when I added some amounts of kyber in the fake planet, it-it suddenly changed the make up where the nearby gas giant to-tore it apart by..."
"Harmonic resonance," Galven nodded.
"Ye-yes sir, exactly," the man said perking up a bit.
"Good job Dasid, Jeba, give him a promotion."
"Yes sir."
"And get a building team out here, we're going to have one big operation out here," Galven finished as he got into his speeder.
"I'm taking a few pieces up to the ship to search for more places around the field, have fun while I'm away!"

Galven stood aboard his ship, The Slip, as he watched the space station be built.
"The building has come along much faster than expected, the materials in the local asteroid field has helped the construction so that we are over a month ahead of schedule, and it is expected to only increase as time goes on," Jeda explained to him.
"Very good, you have been a great assistant to me."
"Thank you sir, that is very kind of you," Jeda responded, bowing.
"Don't mention it, and how is Dasid doing as part of the geologist research team?"
"Very good, he has already helped along many of our projects that were getting behind schedule."
Galven nodded, "This adventure has been very good for this company, we can only hope we are continually lucky."
"It isn't luck sir."
"Excuse me?" Galven said, glaring at her slightly.
"It was the force."
Galven relaxed, "I guess you might be right, either way, lets get moving, I have much more things to do today."
"Yes you do sir, I have a list of possible candidates for govern of Resonance Outpost."
"Good, get them up, and set a course for Demonsgate, don't want to miss my meetings."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom