Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Despoiler-class Turbolaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
centurion_l26_mkii___light_railgun_turret_by_valkyriadawg-d8dguzz.jpg

Intent: To create a quad heavy turbolaser for use on First Order ships.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: First Order
Model: Despoiler-class Turbolaser
Affiliation: First Order
Modularity: N/A
Production: Mass
Material: Durasteel, Alusteel, and other weapon construction materials
Classification: Turbolaser
Size: Shipmounted
Length: 10
Weight: 30 tonnes
Ammunition Type: Turbolaser
Ammunition Capacity: Turbolaser
Effective Range: Standard naval engagement ranges
Rate of Fire: standard turbolaser RoF
Special Features:
  • Heavy, hard hitting fire
  • Reliable construction
  • decreased weapon spread
Description:

A new step forward in ship to ship combat, First Order engineers have produced the Despoiler-class turbolaser.

Designed for pure brutality and the oppression of all foes arrayed against the mighty fleets of the First Order, the Despoiler features powerful internal components installed purely to multiply the raw energy of a standard turbolaser by eightfold*. Though the weapon features the massively increased firepower inherent in the design, First Order engineers found that firing the weapon often destroyed the barrel and occasionally pulled the weapon from its mountings.

The solution came in the form of multiple barrels. Extra components were added to the weapon's internals to split the raw energy into four paths, each leading down one of the four barrels newly mounted on the turbolaser. The innovation allowed the weapon to operate without destroying or damaging the barrels of the weapon and, when coupled with a few inertial compensators, the weapon has ceased damaging its mountings.

The weapon features redundant systems and various compensators that allow the weapon to function with mild to moderate damage and incorporates failsafes in the design to prevent feedback loops of energy that could disable or destroy the machine. In addition, the weapon's barrels are precisely aligned and mounted as well as sighted properly. Coupled with this, the weapon's on board sensors allow a clearer signal between weapon, target, and weapon controls allowing more accuracy and reliability for the weapon, though far less than if linked to a dedicated advanced targeting computer*.

(For gun count reasons, the weapon is essentially a Heavy, Quad turbolaser - 1x2x4=8)

*Eightfold shoved down four barrels means reduction in power to twofold per barrel... so a x2 modifier. The eightfold shoved down four barrels just sounds better for fluff.

**This is less 'hitting the bullseye' accuracy and more 'tighter weapon spread' type accuracy. Just in case, I added the advanced targeting computer bit to idiot proof it.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Reshmar"]
At the bottom of the submission you'll see that is addressed. It's less pinpoint hitting things and more decreased shot spread. Also, its fluff. Fluff is fluff. I was not aware that fluff required weaknesses to balance it.

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
[member="Evangeline Ovmar"]
for it to have an advantage it has to have a weakness. fluff or not.

Evangeline Ovmar said:
**This is less 'hitting the bullseye' accuracy and more 'tighter weapon spread' type accuracy. Just in case, I added the advanced targeting computer bit to idiot proof it.

This doesn't seem like a weakness at all. It has a tighter beam? A tighter beam has nothing to do with accuracy. It might effect power if the energy is compressed into something tighter or shorter but accuracy will not be effected by the beam being tighter.

to get increased accuracy you will need to have something to make up for this. You could make it minor production. That would help compensate for the advantage. Fluff or not you are giving this weapon an advantage over standard turbolasers.

[member="Reshmar"]
Right, we're on two separate pages here.

You're thinking something like... Tighter rifling or... Know what, lets use shotguns. That works here.

You're assuming I'm using a longer barrel or maybe rifling in the shotgun, which is not the case. I'm using the equivalent of a shotgun choke that helps decrease the spread. It still requires aiming, there's nothing preventing the shot from going off target, and its not necessarily a boost to true accuracy. What it is is that all four shots hit closer together. You're seeing a sniper rifle, I'm seeing less shot spread over the target area. Still need to aim, distance will still affect it, but the the weapon sees less spread as the bolts travel downrange.

It's not a weakness because the 'accuracy' is not a strength. It's fluff. I like to make my stuff a bit more than just a representation of gun math with a name. The word "accuracy" is simply easier to use than stating "decreased shot spread" each time I want to mention it in the submission.

[member="Reshmar"]
Arguably, that's already been put in the submission:

But alright. Simple edit is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom