Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Defiance Needler

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
APS_underwater_rifle_REMOV.jpg

Image Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/APS_underwater_rifle_REMOV.jpg
Intent: To give people a chance to deal with ridiculously overarmored scrubs.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing
Model: Emeritus Needler
Affiliation: Sith Empire
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Production
Material: Stamped titanium, hydrogen(gas), non-corrosive plastic(flechette body), depleted uranium-tungsten alloy(flechette tip), fluoroantimonic acid(flechette contents)
Classification: Slugthrower(technically)
Size: Handheld
Length: 0.84m with stock out, 0.62m with stock folded
Weight: 3.9kg
Ammunition Type: Flechette and gas canister
Ammunition Capacity: 30 shots
Effective Range: 200m
Rate of Fire: Semi-auto
Special Features: The weapon's flechettes are filled with extremely corrosive acid. The weapon itself is nearly silent due to its method of operation.
Description: The Emeritus Needler is a weapon designed to deal with those enemies who have ended up more heavily armored than most. With such energy-resistant foes as those layered with cortosis, or beskar, or enough layers of durasteel to make a Terminator happy, a weapon was, as was inevitable, developed.
The magazine of the Needler uses a high pressure gas canister in concert with thirty pre-packed flechettes. In operation, once a flechette has been loaded into the weapon's sealed, a spurt of gas is released behind a piston and ignited, soon ramming it forward and compressing the air at such a high speed that the flechette reaches significant velocity upon exiting the barrel - so high a speed that the projectile will likely hit its target before they can hear the sound of the shot. The piston then recoils, ejecting the gas with a soft hiss out the right side of the weapon as another flechette is reloaded.
The flechettes in question are made of a non-corrosive plastic, tipped with an alloy of tungsten and depleted uranium. This allows a degree of penetration at their medium velocity of roughly a kilometer per second. Upon impact, the flechette will fracture, depositing its cargo of fluoroantimonic acid(one of the most corrosive substances known to man) in the armor. Being so extremely corrosive, the metal(or other material) will begin to be eaten away - the flesh of the enemy too, if the wound is deep enough. It won't instantly bore massive holes through the armor, but it will cause the armor damage after more than several seconds.
Being that this is a fresh design, the weapon has some teething problems. If the flechettes are fiddled with prior to being loaded in the weapon, there is a very small change that the piston will effectively blow the frontal half of the gun off due to misalignment. As well, seeing that the flechettes are not finned, they lose their accuracy well within their maximum effective range.
Original Section(s):

Manufacturer: Emeritus Industries
Affiliation: Galactic Republic

New Section(s):

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Vitor Imperieuse"]
  • 'Hypervelocity' has specific connotations, and a compressed-air gun really doesn't match those velocities. Remove that word, please. I'd be most comfortable if you gave this a specific muzzle velocity. There are some air guns that can break the sonic barrier. Looking at them, I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a muzzle velocity of ~360 metres per second.
  • I don't know gun engineering well enough to comment on the description of pistons and so forth, but I consider that stuff flavor text -- doesn't break the submission.
  • One thing you might want to consider is swapping your acid for Star Wars xenoboric acid. It's downright pyrotechnic, and I'm intimately familiar with previously approved precedent for a gun that shoots capsules of it.

In Umbris Potestas Est
My intents were for the weapon to be more a miniaturized light-gas gun than a compressed air gun - hence the ignition of hydrogen forcing the piston forward and causing the projectile to fly at high speeds.

acid-wise, I wanted something with less of an obvious effect that would be more damaging to armor.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

[member="Vitor Imperieuse"]

Interesting stuff. With this in mind, I've got no problem stamping this if the muzzle velocity is comparable to a scaled-down shattergun or something like that -- goodness knows there's enough pocket mass drivers running around canon and Chaos. Something around 1km/s seems fine.

I do just want to be sure you're clear about expectations. I'm not going to assign an armor class number to this thing's effectiveness, but a single shot isn't going to eat through plate armor in seconds, etc. I'm going to stamp this once you make a note on muzzle velocity, but I do want it to be clear that this sucker doesn't evaporate high-end armor. Savvy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom