Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep Black Sea: Flotsam and Jetsam (Ovmar)

The Absolution expedition
Companion Esk
Day 18
Three days before the raid

Lieutenant Commander Lord Jared Ovmar had called ahead. There'd been a time, and not too many years ago, when he'd faced Jorus in battle, on a derelict station in the Omega neutral zone. Jorus still had no use for the Fringe, of which Ovmar had risen to a leadership position, but there was no denying he knew his job and made little noise. Ovmar's job title was something grandiose and fabricated; his function was battle meditation of the small craft, the starfighters and shuttles that helped the Absolution get through the nastier elements of Wild Space. That competence, and Rave's recommendation, had earned him Jorus' tentative respect.

"Enter."

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Ovmar’s origins could be traced back to the army of the Fringe, from there he had risen up- potential seen by Varanin, Spencer and others- until he had eventually emerged as one of the members of the inner circle. Eventually, when Varanin had decided to turn her despotism into democracy Ovmar had found himself again in power, this time elected by people.

The Sith Lord still wasn’t sure who had actually voted for him, why they would do so and who had actually run his campaign. But those questions aside… it had been one hell of a ride.

Merrill was known to him, through Rave, through other parties, but most of all through all the hassle and problems the former Rebel Leader had given to the fledgling state of the Fringe. If Jared was anything, he was pragmatic, and so he kept few if any grudges to people.

When Jorus gave him permission to enter, he walked in, gave out a crisp salute in military-form and said quicky, plainly.

Captain.

Then he was silent, waiting for Jorus’ next move.

Out there Ovmar was a Lord, in here… he was one of the crew, seniority aside he cared very little for eccentrism these days.

[member="Jared Ovmar"] had yet to display anything but professionalism...at least in a professional context. The off-duty Ovmar stories were a little more entertaining. Jorus could respect the dichotomy.

"At ease, Commander." He gestured to the chair across from his. "Have a seat. What can I do for you this fine day?"

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

‘Thank you.’ Ovmar simply replied and then sat himself down, some men would beat ‘round the bush, others… not so much. ‘I have been able to acquire access to assets owned formerly by the Jedi Order which were considered lost.’

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

For once Ovmar’s face wasn’t plastered with a lazy grin, or any grin for that matter, it was devoid from any emotions.

Calm and collected.

‘Ain’t got a list burned into my brain, Captain, you would have to ask Matsu for that.’

With that name it would be immediately clear what this was all about.

[member="Jared Ovmar"] would notice some interesting developments. In Jorus' mind he would sense sharp-edged intent flavored with excitement. In Jorus' face he would note a knotted jaw, flared nostrils, another eyebrow twitch.

"I've been playing a long con on Baktoid for that clart, but nothing's come of it yet. Do you have a price, Commander, or is this out of the goodness of your heart?"

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

‘There ain’t no goodness in anyone’s heart, Captain.’ then the Sith Lord shrugged, it was simply his own experience with people that colored his consideration, yet then he spoke. Surprising himself, probably Jorus and Velok in a different Galaxy. ‘But I ain’t expecting anything in return, if I have learned anything from my short life- it’s that knowledge, and especially dangerous knowledge, has to be cherished and kept away from the likes of Ike.’

He raised his hands, almost in a question.

‘Force knows we got our differences, but in this we can agree, I think.’

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

Jorus snorted. "Ain't that the truth. Well, if it's any consolation, I've gotten pretty fething good at hiding things that need hiding."

A pause, half a dozen conflicted thoughts; Ovmar might catch the surface level.

"Do you have any...academic interests, Commander?"

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

A puzzled expression appeared, followed by a hesitating nod.

‘Once I managed to rip myself away from… well you know.’ Ovmar referred to all the salient details of his off-duty activities. ‘...puberal thrill-seeking I found myself increasingly more interested in the academic ventures, Captain.’

Instead of asking why, Ovmar simply looked with the same questioning expression.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Their foundation is built upon lies, deception and celebrity-cult following- basically it ain’t anything different from any other nation, which the Ovmar decided not to mention.

It was his cynical side, the side that had joined the Sith under the guise of Darth Carach and figure out exactly what they were up to.

‘Captain, the One Sith are held together by a thin, very thin fabric of mindless loyalty all held together by their Dark Lord of the Sith. He falls? It all falls. That’s not a nation, that’s an upstart cult.’

Ovmar raised his hand.

‘That said. They are ruthless and are having a lot of success, the cynical part in me says the Republic won’t last for much longer. But the future? Too many variables, a lot can happen between now and then, but my guess is that they too will fall once they don’t have a common enemy to fight against.’

A mighty beast of war eating itself up.

Ovmar’s opinion of the One Sith wasn’t too difficult to make up out of that, yet he spoke once more, just to be clear.

‘I ain’t a fan.’

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

The Sith Lord had neglected to mention that as with all cults there was the possibility that someone would rise up… assume control, maniacs and followers loved their strong, authoritarian types. There were enough of those… so possibly not immediate termination and more slow stagnation, with several siloviki feuding for control.

Perhaps.

The Order of the Selab was a different kind of beast.

Very different.

Flashes of an old man with a hat came to mind, before Jared replied.

‘Rumors, hearsay. Nothing tangible, some call ‘em collectors, others protectors and there a few who view them as usurpers.’

Ovmar shrugged.

‘The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of it all, Captain.'

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Ovmar pondered that question. It depended on who was and wasn't a- oh feth it.

With a shrug he wagered a response: 'Probably 'round forty percent, or somewhere there 'bout.'

[member="Jared Ovmar"]

"Good chance of it. So far as I know, we-" The slip was intentional. "-spend most of our time trawling the open market for things that shouldn't be there. Matsu Ike and people like her, the kind that release dangerous information en masse for money...or Isley Verd, people like that...are who we oppose."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom