Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Darksky Area Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
DARKSKY AREA SHIELD
t3_shield_generator_textures_by_mushroomars1-d60mf50.png
Image Source: Here
Intent: To Create a Defense Shield for Civilian Installations

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industries
Model: Mk2
Affiliation: Private Market
Modularity: Yes
  • Aesthetics
  • Size: Single Building, Local Area (Several City Blocks/500 Republica)
Production: Minor
Material: Electronics, Duraplast, Durasteel

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Defense Shield Generator
Size: Ground-Based Installations, Perhaps Mid Sized Space Stations
Effective Range:
  • Building: Covers one Building
  • Local Area: Covers a Ten Block Radius of structures, grounds, or a very large building like the Imperial Palace, the Senate Building, or 500 Republica
DESCRIPTION
Not every installation that needs to be protected is a fortress of unimaginable power. Not every planet houses dozens of warships to defend itself and its people. In light of that ArmaTech developed the DARKSKY Area Shield for those more peaceful, less defended people in the galaxy.

The basis of the DARKSKY Shield is a Local Area Shield. They are mildly scalable between single buildings like a warehouse or skyscraper to larger models able to protect a ten block radius or buildings the size of the Imperial Palace or 500 Republica. This is to allow purchasers to get exactly what they need, as the larger the area defended, the more likely the shield is unable to preform to optimum levels. Effectively, the bigger the area covered by the shield, the more likely visual inspection will reveal the ruse.

This technology was combined with an Optical Shield, a shield able to distort light, making it appear that instead of a large installation, there is only more landscape or regular cityscape continuing, rather than the important structure hidden inside. The Shield is backed with a Sensor mask to hide the energy and lifeforms within, as well as any other signatures a standard senor looks for. There was no need to include gravitic modulators or electromagnetic field masks, as the installation is planet side but extraordinarily tall buildings are likely to have a noticeable effect on these types of sensors.

Finally, the shield is an Encasing Shield. While it is nearly instantly activated, in under a minute, to lower it takes some time to lower and reactivate, making defensive fire from the shielded area nearly impossible, as well as the launching of attack craft. It is suggested that a tunnel be constructed beneath the shield to an external hangar if escape is the primary concern. Because of its encasing nature, while the shield is active nothing is able to pass through until the shield is either lowered or battered down by fire, even infantry and vehicles. But, as an Encasing Shield it is significantly more resilient than its shutter counterparts.

There reason for an encasing shield was simple. Shutter shields would reveal its hidden occupants every time someone used them to fire out. The downside is, armed installations are unable to benefit from the DARKSKY shield, but as those weren't what the shield was intended for, it wasn't viewed as a downside by the designers.

Strengths:
  • Can't See Me: The DARKSKY uses an Optical Shield and Sensor Mask as its primary means of defense. Can't attack something you can't see.
Weaknesses:
  • Encasing Shield: The DARKSKY shield is an Encasing shield, meaning it can't be raised or lowered in pieces, only all or nothing. In addition it takes longer than other shield types to lower and reactivate. This means it can't be fired out of and defenders are unable to return fire.
Special Features:
REFERENCES

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Draco Vereen"]

If you look at the source for the optical shield, you'll note that it's very crappy stealth. It winds up looking like atmospheric distortion - bad weather. It doesn't seem to project an image. If you can clarify what these buildings look like, we can talk dev requirements based on the level of stealth you're after.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]
Hmm, didn't know that. I don't have the actual Source Book, so I kinda have to go off the wookiee. But I wasn't thinking complete invisibility seeing as its meant for ground installations. The intention here is that if looked at in a combat scenario (IE going in for a strafing run on a city, etc) the important building (like a temple) would appear more as a continuation of the city/landscape than a nice juicy civilian target.

Here, Here, and Here are the WWII Era examples. Its Star Wars so its "better" to counter the much, much better sensor and scanners and visual magnification, but its not like they aren't there, just the buildings are blended so to speak. Those are pictures of the Lockheed Plant in WWII in which they disguised the buildings. That's the effect I'm going for, with a shield to catch stray rounds and ordnance it might catch.

Perhaps Optical Shield isn't the best idea given that information, but I'm not sure all the way to Cloaking Device is what I'm going for.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

I just meant the ship that the Optical Shield page links to.

OK, so. I'm fairly comfortable with what you're doing here, and I'm fine with saying the tech stub can do what you're saying. The stealth ( visual component plus anti sensor component) will need dev, but you knew that. Since this has excellent concrete limits, and the stealth is minimal, 20 posts should be fine. Alternately, 15 at limited, 10 at semi-unique.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]
Alright. I've got a "Concept thread" in which Draco discusses hiding key structures rather than just shielding them and hoping for the best, but its only got 10-12 posts dedicated to that discussion at best, so I'm gonna crank out the other thread 10-15 posts hopefully by Thursday.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Yeah, give me ten posts on top of the existing thread and it's yours. I know the size of your average posts. Since it's only going to be a couple of days, I won't bother archiving this unless there are delays; just tag me when you've added both dev threads to the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom