Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crab Armor Variant.

YAYkvH3.png
Image Source: Max Bedulenko - https://www.artstation.com/artist/mb14

[INTENT] Personal Crab Armor Variant for Yun. Also it's pretty cool. EDIT - I'd like to briefly expand more on my OOC intent. I have some plans laid out for how I want Yun's character to develop (his storyline, personal philosophies and the like). This armor is supposed to be his bread and butter, I want it to change as he does. The style fits how I envision the character, it's supposed to give him a bit of a unique twist. It's less of a suit of armor to be chewed up in PvP and more of a companion.

[DEV THREAD] I intend to use this thread (so far, posts - #33, 36, 44, 53, 58, 62, 68, 72, 74 and 81), the Dominion is currently ongoing but very close to completion. I will happily complete another if required of me. Idea first mentioned in character in this post. Relevant quote -
In the future, he needed something more, a creature strong enough to consistently fight at his side and one he couldn't lose.

[MANUFACTURER] Yun Sai'Tahm. As a Shaper, Yun bred this creature on his own.
[MODEL] Crab Armor Variant (CAV) - Scorpion Armor.
[AFFILIATION] Yun Sai'Tahm, who is currently affiliated with the One Sith.
[MODULARITY] Like most Vong Biotechnology, the Crab Armor Variant could, in theory, be outfitted with various Biots to increase both its raw power or utility (Any future custom Biot modifications for this armor will include a link to it in their app and details of how exactly it affects the Crab Armor Variant, if you have any advice on how to include future canon Biot modifications, let me know).

[PRODUCTION] Unique.
[MATERIAL] Crab-shell plating.
[CLASSIFICATION] Multipurpose. The CAV is designed to function as a first line of defense against blasters and lightsabers, as well as having consistent offensive applications.
[WEIGHT] Twenty Kilograms.
[QUALITY] 8

[SPECIAL FEATURES]
In addition to the considerable defensive advantages of Vonduun Skerr Kyrric, the CAV possessed a total of five additional limbs. Four of these limbs are located on the back plating and function as additional legs (capable of lifting Yun and affording him additional mobility) and the armor's primary weapons. The ends of the four limbs on the back some to sharp points. They can be extended to a maximum length of two and a half meters. While they are an intimidating sight, the limb's are only roughly twice as strong as a considerably strong (primarily engages in strength training, not the apex of human strength) human male. The limbs can be used to pierce skin and bone as well as blunt instruments.

The final limb is the armor's tail. Considerably longer than the other legs, the stinger can reach up to four meters at full extension. It is also much stronger than the other limbs, able to easily crush bones and pierce through a human body. The stinger is fitted with a variation of the Vong Fire Spitter, the interior of the tail housing the creature. The canon is capable of short to medium range fire, though its accuracy is sub-par and is most efficiently used as a zoning tool. Due to the volatile nature of the chemical fire produced by the canon, the host is best to be careful when using it.

The armor is capable of supporting the weight of its own limbs, affording Yun the ability of maintaining his balance while extending the additional legs. If all limbs happened to be extended in the same direction simultaneously, it could cause issues for the host's balance. This limits the oppressive offense the armor would otherwise be capable of outputting due to not having offensive access to all limbs at the same time.

[DESCRIPTION]
Following the events on Vullain, the beating Yun's body took as well as the cataclysmic fall suffered by he and Iziz, it was only natural that the Vong would begin work on a means of protecting himself and ensuring he always has a creature at his disposal.

The CAV is heavily influenced by the standard Vonduun Skerr Kyrric design, affording many of the same protections of its traditional predecessor. It is easily capable of withstanding light-medium blaster fire and lightsaber strikes. Prolonged fire with heavier blasters or exposure to a lightsaber blade will penetrate or otherwise cause harm to the armor and sustained weight or crushing can break the carapace, but glancing blows from a saber can be withstood almost indefinitely. Where Crab armor is designed after the anatomy of a crab, the CAV takes its inspiration from the scorpion. Two of the limbs function as plating for the wearer's legs, where the front claws of the scorpion protect the host's arms. Due to Yun's status as a Shaper, his right hand has been replaced with a Shaper Hand, making it impossible to protect the entirety of his right arm and maintain full use of his tendrils. To this end, the right arm is unprotected beneath the shoulder. The left arm is entirely plated, with the armor's claw encasing the user's hand. The claw is capable of outputting considerable crushing force, enough to sever limbs but pales in comparison to other crushing weaponry such as Mandalorian Crushgaunts. The claw over the left hand can be folded back along the length of the top and underside of the host's forearm, providing additional heavy plating for that area, allowing it to be used as a defensive tool. The armor is controlled primarily in the same way as Vong Coralskippers. The user connects his neural network to the creature allowing them to use it as an extension of their own body. Of course, this comes with the drawback that damage to the armor also causes the user pain.

The utility provided by the additional limbs and stinger make the CAV a formidable creature. The complexity of the creature, while making it powerful, is also its biggest downfall. Due to the sheer number of interfaces required for the host, the armor has a mandatory 'ramp up' period before it is fully functional. Once activated, the armor requires the user to synchronize with its neural interface over a period of [FOUR] posts in order to mitigate any mental strain on the user from connecting their neural network to the creature. On the first post [25% SYNC] that this armor is activated, it grows the first three limbs (legs, left arm) as well as the helmet and chest plating. The second post [50% SYNC] sees the activation of the top two limbs on the back, with the following two limbs coming online in the third post [75% SYNC]. Once the armor has been activated for four posts [100% SYNC], the tail becomes available and the armor is fully functional. When not activated, the limbs of the armor retract to below their minimum length, chitinous plates folding slightly behind one another. This results in the armor covering only the the backs of the legs, up to the elbow of the left arm and around the backs of the ribcage, back and the entirety of the shoulders. The additional limbs, including tail, retract similarly and hang rigid behind the body (cape of limbs).

Unlike Crab armor, the CAV's weak spot is in a different location. Instead of gills under the arms, there is a string of eyes on the upper chest (just below the neck) which are vulnerable to attack. These eyes are far more exposed (and are red in comparison to the armor's pitch black carapace) but also smaller. A skilled opponent would perhaps find it easier to exploit, but the eyes are small and can be difficult to strike at precisely. The armor, like its forefathers, retains its allergies to Bafforr tree pollen and Sparkbee honey as Yun has yet to find an efficient method of breeding this defect out.

[ STRENGTHS ]
- Lightsaber and blaster resistant
- Capable of close and mid-range combat
- Highly mobile
- Multiple, strong additional limbs
- Easily modified with additional Biots
- Direct neural interface makes it an extension of the user's body

[ WEAKNESSES ]
- Open weak spot
- Entirety of right arm below shoulder unprotected
- Neural interface causes user pain if carapace is breached
- Four post synchronization period before all functions available
- Highly allergic to Bafforr Tree pollen and Sparkbee Honey
- Cannot use all limbs offensively against a single foe at once due to balance issues

[PRIMARY SOURCES] Vonduun Skerr Kyrric, Doctor Octopus Kappa

Author's notes - This is my first tech sub so I hope I did everything right. If I didn't I'll happily correct it.
I debated with myself for some time as to whether Vong Biotech should be app'd as a technology or a species, given that they're living creatures. If this belongs in species, I apologize.

Netherworld

*Cthulhu fans self*

Lovely submission. ( Disclaimer: I've a soft spot for Vong tech. )

Now, that being said, there's a couple of things we'll need to work on before I can stamp this.
I'll do the first pass of commentary/questions now, and then some follow-up requests and such once I've read the dev. :)

1. How does Yun maintain his balance with 4/5 chitinous limbs extending 2-4 m away from his body?
    A scorpion is quadrupedal to negate that issue, but Vong are an upright humanoid species, so please elaborate on this.
  2. How does the storing/expansion thing work? You've got enough plate chitin here to cover a grown man and 5 additional limbs of considerable size, but that somehow folds into a single plate on his back?
    Again, more details on how this works, please.
  3. The strength-related stuff will require work as well, but I'll need to read the dev to see where we currently stand on that.

@mention me with questions/edits. :)

Disclaimer: I've a soft spot for Vong tech.
Same.
How does Yun maintain his balance with 4/5 chitinous limbs extending 2-4 m away from his body?
The armor, being a living creature, is capable of supporting the weight of its own limbs. Perhaps if all 5 additional limbs were extended at max range in the same direction at the same time it might cause some balance issues. I've edited in a section about the balance, as well as sort of expanding it into an additional drawback. You can find the relevant edit in the submission but here is is for quick reference as well -
The armor is capable of supporting the weight of its own limbs, affording Yun the ability of maintaining his balance while extending the additional legs. If all limbs happened to be extended in the same direction simultaneously, it could cause issues for the host's balance. This limits the oppressive offense the armor would otherwise be capable of outputting due to not having offensive access to all limbs at the same time.
How does the storing/expansion thing work? You've got enough plate chitin here to cover a grown man and 5 additional limbs of considerable size, but that somehow folds into a single plate on his back?
Changed how the armor looks when it's not activated. Edit is in the submission, relevant excerpt is here -
When not activated, the limbs of the armor retract to below their minimum length, chitinous plates folding slightly behind one another. This results in the armor covering only the the backs of the legs, up to the elbow of the left arm and around the backs of the ribcage, back and the entirety of the shoulders. The additional limbs, including tail, retract similarly and hang rigid behind the body (cape of limbs).

The strength-related stuff will require work as well, but I'll need to read the dev to see where we currently stand on that.
Sure. Let me know what you need.

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Rookie"]

Delightful dev you have there in the dominion, really well written! :)
It is, however, mostly unrelated to the submission at hand, and given the type of strength you want, I'll need a more.
A development thread of 10-15 quality posts should do the trick. Since Yun is a Shaper anyway, I suggest you focus on the process of creation, or, alternately, you can also showcase the armor's use in action.

Rookie said:
The stinger can also be used to inject poisons known to the Yuuzhan Vong
  • elaborate on this. What kind of poisons are we talking?
  1. Clearly list out the armor's strengths and weaknesses (bullet format preferred)
  2. Clarify whether or not this "type" of Vonduun Skerr Kyrric is allergic to bafforr pollen and sparkbee honey

Tag me with questions/edits.

Netherworld said:
A development thread of 10-15 quality posts should do the trick. Since Yun is a Shaper anyway, I suggest you focus on the process of creation, or, alternately, you can also showcase the armor's use in action.
Alright. I'm doing the dev thread on Lujo now. Yun is using a prototype of the armor in this thread. Posts #8, 30 and 52 so far.

What kind of poisons are we talking?
I've decided to replace the poison function with a built in Fire Spitter instead. Poisons are messy business and I rarely intended to use them anyway so this seems simpler and more useful, though it does up the raw power of the armor somewhat. If that's an issue, I'll find another alternative.

Clearly list out the armor's strengths and weaknesses (bullet format preferred)
Done.

Clarify whether or not this "type" of Vonduun Skerr Kyrric is allergic to bafforr pollen and sparkbee honey
Edited in the allergy to Bafforr Pollen and Sparkbee honey. It retains both.

Once the invasion is over I'll edit in the dev thread to the main sub. Is there anything else I need to fix in the meantime?

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Rookie"]

Tag me when the dev in the invasion is complete, then.
(You can also link individual posts by clicking their number and copying the link in the popup window, by the way. :) )

As for the Fire spitter, I'll need a bit more information as to how it works, its range, the nature of the fire it spits, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom