Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Children of Shiraya: So Echoes the Ghosts of the Past

ee.png

From the past came a voice, a face, one that Baros had forgotten. It was not that the face had been unmemorable in the slightest, no quite the contrary. The visible cues sent images and recollections flying through his synapses. No, it wasn't that he was a forgetful man, that he had not remembered this face, it was simply that he had lived so many lives within the short years he had breathed. As the face of the two impending guests disappeared off the holoprojector, Baros was left wondering how much of his past life he had forgotten.

The Lady Nar-Donna had once worked for him. She had modelled for a couple of years for Glitterstim back in the days when his behaviour had been less than what he would consider acceptable now. His mind floated briefly to his young children, just a few years old, and how he longed for their lives to be filled with the type of meaningful relationship that he had with Teyla Sal-Soren Teyla Sal-Soren and not the type of relationship he had with so many before the dark times.

Velana Nar-Donna brought back many memories that he had wished to have remained buried. And she was coming here, with her husband and child no less.

staircase.png

The ship had arrived some minutes ago, and the droids had been unpacking the families belongings. It seemed they had brought enough to stay for a week. It was a good thing that the Estate was big enough for Baros to occasionally disappear into, and for them to have the space they needed as a family. Marsaille Nar-Donna had said something about discussing The Eternal Flame and how Corellia's experience could be lent to making short work of the terrorist group. The visit also doubled as an opportunity to strengthen ties with another noble family, and as Hand to the Queen of Naboo, Baros serving as host to a dignitary and their family while they relaxed was more than reason enough to say yes to the visit.

As he stood there, slightly uncomfortable without Teyla present at the Estate, Baros pondered whether this visit might also be an attempt by the Nar-Donna's to begin some long game plan of marrying their daughter to Brandyn. It was sad that at just a few years old, the children of the Ee'everwest Estate were already coming across suitors and their overeager parents. It was a part of his own upbringing that he had rebelled against, and likely the reason for his cavalier attitude towards women in his first decade of adulthood.

Their nanny was currently preparing the children, all five of them, to have dinner with the Nar-Donna's in just a half an hour. It was timed this way so that Baros would have an excuse at any moment to duck away from the conversation if things got awkward.

He lifted his head, unaware that it had drooped to stare at the floor, and saw the Nar-Donna family approaching. He paused for a moment upon seeing Valena, his head tilting as he noted that she appeared not to have aged a day, but thought best of saying anything like that just in case it was seen as too familiar. He stepped forward towards the entry into the great house of the Estate.

"Greetings, Marsaille...Valena...welcome to Evendawn," he said, calling on the Estate's ancient name for a more informal greeting, "and you must be Velda that I have heard so much about."

For Velda, this was an adventure, and a new experience to be sure. The young child had a chance to visit a brand new planet she had never been to or even heard of before. So, being the curious sort, she had a droid bring up the planet on a holo-map and a few holo-images. She was excited, a vacation at a pretty planet's royal house. It took the Nar-Donna's about four and a half days to get to Naboo from Corellia in hyperspace, but once they had arrived. Velda knew it was worth it.

Once landed, Velda watched the droids moving about, gathering up all of the Nar-Donna's belongings and moving them into the estate. And as soon as their tasks were completed Velda noticed her mother coming to her. "I think you are going to love it here, can you promise me you'll be on your best your best behavior?" She thoughtfully nudged Velda's hair back behind her ear. Velda remained silent as she quickly nodded with a smile, and her mother returned it "Okay. time to meet our new hosts, let's go!" For Velana, to say that she felt a little on edge would be an understatement. This could either go really well, or it could go really poorly with Baros and Marsaille in the same room. Velana knew both of them had strong personalities, so if either was not on the same page...well. Let us just pray for everyone's sake they are on the same chapter and hope for the best. Ever since her marriage to Marsaille never spoke of the details of her relationship with Baros. All Marsaille really knew is that she had been under contract with the Glitterstim fashion house and beyond that, nothing else was spoken about. After Velda was born, Velana stayed a model for three more years, then retired from the modeling scene to focus on Velda. Since then, quite a lot of time had gone by since Velana had even seen Baros again, until now.

Velda and Velana reconnected with her father as the trio walked down the ramp of their star yacht. And Velda got a first-hand look at Naboo as the child gazed on in wonderment to her surrounding of the entrance to the estate. All the holo-images simply did not do it justice. And as they walked, Velda purposefully placed Velana in between her and her father.

Then they came up to Baros, and Marsaille was the first to make greetings "Greetings, Baros." Velana followed up "Well met." Then Marsaille looked to Velda "That's my little girl!" Velda walked up to Baros, looking directly up at him with doe-like brown eyes behind her tiny ornate patterned scarf over the child's shoulder and neck while she regarded Baros, he was so, so...tall! "Hello Mr. Soren, sir!"

Taking her eyes off Baros, she let her mother and father finished their acquaintances as she glanced around, and spotted a droid "So what are you?" She asked. "Well I'm a protocol droid fluent in…" Velda interrupted him. "I can see that, but are you programmed and fluent for other stuff?" The droid paused for a second. "I can tell stories." She playfully mocked him "That's boring...sing for me." The droid's photo-receptors regarded the young girl for a moment puzzled "What would you like to hear?" Velda happy knew she was getting somewhere. "Your choice." Her hands were behind her back, standing at the tip of her toes looking coy, she finished her request "Drop a beat!" Making good on Velda's request the droid starting singing. Not only did it sing, but it was also its own backing band too. And Velda, in all honesty, was elated. "That's kind of amazing! I think I'm going to like it here!" She said as her mother discreetly took Velda, turning her into the direction they started going. "Come along love!"

As the group ventured further into the estate Marsaille regarded Baros in more serious matters, precisely the Eternal Flame when Marsaille turned to him. "If they don't stand down, Corellia has the resources to find a more...dramatic remedy for the situation."

"Greetings Marsaille," he said taking the man's hand in a firm handshake, before turning to Velana, "and Velana. It is a pleasure to see you again. Time has not been cruel to you at all, you are as much the beauty of the ministrel's ballads as you ever were."

Taking Velana's hand briefly, he kissed her it in greeting, and then released it before any great level of awkwardness could set in. The child broke the moment, and Baros was quietly glad for it. She was a delight, much like his own three that were about to be introduced. "Hello Velda. Welcome to our home. I would like you to meet my children when you have a moment. They are very excited to meet you."

Conversation turned quickly to the Eternal Flame. There was no messing about with Marsaille. So Baros ushed them into the nearby Reception Room, with its grand sofas and lounge chairs that would provide ample room to sit and enjoy the views of the vinyard out the two story high windows at one end, and still be able to see Velda out the large doors to the entry way.

Baros signalled for Marsaille and Velana to take a seat opposite the smaller, low backed chair he chose to sit in. "We do not care much for dramatic measures on Naboo, Marsaille," he assured, "we simply wish to figure out a way to cut off their access to weapons and funding...then work with them on their grievances."

------

Six little eyes peered through the balustrade that ran the edge of the second floor of the grand staircases mezzanine floor. "Is that Velda?" Whispered a little voice. "Ah huh. Papa called her that name." Replied another whispered voice. "You two are being silly. Let's go and talk to her," came a third, more assertive and louder voice.

"SHHH. Shush you Briana," came the boys voice.

"Ooooh. Do you think she is pretty?" Came the mischievious reply.

"Ew. NO," came the boys reply with his face all screwed up as if tasting something suddenly sour in his mouth, "she looks weird."

"Ooooh reaaaaaally?"

"What are you doing Breebree?" Came the other girls voice, as she shouted out just a little too loud and then covered her mouth in apology.

The mischievious little girl had started running down the stairs as quick as her little legs would allow. The little boy already seemed to know what was about to happen, and was trying to get away but his other sister had grabbed him by the collar. "Nope. You aren't running away from me...I need you."

He reluctantly fell into line and walked to the top of the stairs with his younger sister, while he watched his slightly older, and far bolder sister run across the large open floor of the grand entrance of their family estate. She finally reached the little girl, named Velda, and stopped a meter or so away from her.

"Hi! I'm Briana! My brother thinks you look weird," she blurted without thought, "so, are you weird? Are ya? Are ya?"

Soon, Marsaille and Velana were led to the reception room, overlooking some of the surrounding gardens of the estate. Baros led the way with Velana accompanying Marsaille staying nearby. The couple took the sofa opposite of Baros. With Marsaille feeling disappointed with the response he offered. "If those solutions are off the table. We could look into taking their funding and weapons, of course. If their name is any hint, you might find that such measures could embolden them, they are the Eternal Flame after all. So they might not go anywhere quite so easily, but it's worth a shot."

Marsaille regarded Baros for amoment. "You can take a man out of Corellia but you can't take Corellia out of a man, or so I thought." He wagged his finger about as if he is mentioning the estate now. "Has this place tamed the Corellian out of you? Just a few years ago you might Just have entertained such a suggestion."

Velana turned to Marsaille her looking horrified fearing this was going wrong fast. "Marsaille…" He reassured his wife "Rest easy dear, Baros and I are just breaking the ice."

-----

As Baros led her parents off, little Velda was left to herself for the brief spell in time, and that could never be a good thing. The entire place seemed vast, mysterious, and easy to get lost in just exploring. And Velda was contemplating in her twisted dark imagination just what direction to wander off in, when she heard chitter-chatter of little voices atop the stairs, Breebree? What is that? Is that a person?

One of them took to running down the grand staircase toward Velda. Once the little girl made it up to her, she introduced herself and told her that her brother said she looked weird, her childlike big brown eyes spied up the staircase to see Brandyn and Blaire peering down at Velda and Briana, so this must be the Sal-Soren children her parents spoke so much about, nice! She was free of hearing about boring stuff like politics.

"No!" She thought it was silly. "I'm Velda, and I am fabulous!" The little girl said her words looking as if she was posing for a photo. And her attention fell back to Briana. "We can make a neat game out of being weird though some time and I can cosplay and dress up as you and your look if you like!"

Velda looked back up at Brandyn and Blaire, and the little girl beamed them a bashful smile and discreetly waved at both Brandyn and Blaire.

Baros appeared actively annoyed with Marsaille's comments and actually felt some relief that Velana felt a little uncomfortable too. Marsaille's assurace that the were merely breaking the ice with so joviality brought about a half smile, nod and shrug of Baros' shoulders.

"Naboo and Corellia share many of the same sentiments on things these days," Baros suggested, "the new Corellia is closer to the new Naboo, I think you will find."

Just then the wait staff came in with refreshments for them, placing on the table between them a selection of pastries, and sliced fruit, with a couple of pitchers of water laced with sliced citrus.

"Please...eat...drink," Baros said as he stood to offer service to his guests, "what can I get you...my friends."

------------

"Wait...huh," Briana's nose scrunched up, but so did her fists. She didn't like older kids using their wit to try and put her in her place, and she didn't much care for this Velda either. But she knew better than to use her fists. That would be just 'unladylike', whatever that meant.

"Well fabulous Velda," Briana said with her foot twisting in building frustration, persisting with her fight against her impulses.

"Oh no," Brandyn said out loud, Blaire staring at him curious as to what brought that out, other than it being Briana that was talking to Velda.

"What? Is it the Forcey thing?" Said the non-Force sensitive sibling.

"Ah ha...and not the good one," Brandyn said as he wrested control of his arm from Blaire's grasp and set himself into as quick a run down the stairs as he could.

"Ugh. Not again," Blaire said, rolling her eyes and making her way down the stairs at a lot more liesurely pace.

By the time she was half way down, Brandyn was already running across the floor towards Briana and Velda. He was calling out to her. "Briana! Hey Briana! You forgot your...hey Briana!" He was clearly struggling to come up with a convincing lie to get her out of her impending trouble.

Briana spun about on her heels and glared daggers at her brother. "She called my clothes...WEIRD Brandyn. I don't like her," Briana spat, before spinning about and poking her tongue out at Velda before marching off in a huff.

Brandyn came to a skidding halt just before he went barrelling into Velda and tried to reach out for Briana's arm, but she was already out of reach. He glanced back at Velda and grew instantly sheepish again, his cheeks reddening in embarrassment. "Ah. Hi. I. Am. Her brother. She will not...not like you for long. I am sorry," his poor embarrassed expression looked pained for how Velda had been treated.

Blaire had finally caught up and pushed in front of Brandyn with a grin. "If Briana doesn't like you...then we are going to be best friends," she said with a cheeky grin, "I'm Blaire. The not weird one." She cast an 'oh-brother' glance at both Brandyn and Briana. The Force made them weirdos indeed.

When Baros mentioned the New Corellia is closer to the new Naboo, Marsaille knew that Baros had a point. The ties between the two worlds both culturally and politically were certainly strengthening. Even if some elements within Naboo society were inimical and oppugnant in regards to the direction that Naboo had embarked on.

The left side of Marsaille's lips creased upwards into a smirk, punctuated by a silent chuckle as Marsaille contemplated what Baros just told them "Very true, very true indeed, my friend."

Velana decided it was best to interrupt Marsaille and Baros before things, turned south fast. "Well!" She clasped her hands together and they fell to her lap. "I'm glad that's settled!" She was more than willing to move on with their visit and become reacquainted with Baros. "We would be honored if we could join you for dinner."

-----

Velda's wide brown eyes watched Briana's fingers curled up into little fists, she could sense Briana was fighting her impulses and her bubbling frustrations. As Velda offered an aura of innocence around the other girl.

The others, Brandyn and Blaire, came down the staircase. And With Brandyn in front of Blaire, he made it to the ground floor first and started yelling to Briana that she forgot something. What that could possibly be, who knew. Except Briana told him that she didn't like Velda and stuck her tongue out at her. How....how rude.

He slid across the floor like he was trying to slow down and Velda wondered if Brandyn was going to tumble into her or something but he stopped and apologized for Briana. Brandyn, the boy who said she Velda looked weird. She felt embarrassed in Brandyn's presence and didn't know what to do with herself as she hid her bashful smile in her hands. Looking at him her hands finally fell from her smile, she still felt like she wanted to go poof and disappear around him though. "No need to apologize... thank you."

Then came Blaire who pushed in front of him. "Nice to meet you both, I don't need an introduction but just in case you haven't heard, I'm Velda." Velda glanced over to Briana who was walking away in a huff and she stepped on the tip of her toes gaining her an extra inch as if that mattered on how far her little voice could carry as she spoke up to Briana. "You should come back here! We can all be weird together!" Her eyes skipped to Blair and Brandyn "..Or something." And she came back down to her feet.

Baros rose from his seat. Bowing to his guests, but addressing Velana more than Marsaille with his following words. "I will have Chavik attend to your needs. Get you settled in your accomodation. Meal time is in three standard hours. You are our honoured guests," he said before glancing at Marsaille, "do you have any prefence for the beverage that will be served?"

He stepped over to shake Marsaille's hand. "Feel free to explore the grounds, and ask the staff if you are in need of anything. Apologies for excusing myself but I have a conference call with the Senator from Rendilli in a few moments."

He reached over to shake Velana's hand. "It is a pleasure to become reacquianted Velana. It has been far too long."

With that, Baros made is leave of the couple, leaving them in the capable hands of the staff who were arriving as he exited the room. He noted the children talking with the Nar-Donna girl. "Blaire...Brandyn...how about you show Velda to the play room? There is bound to be something there to entertain you all for some time."

-------​

"Hi...Velda," Brandyn said sheepishly.

"Velda. Nice! I would much prefer to hear that name than stinky old Briana for a while," Blaire said with a grin laced with mischief.

"We should go outside and play in the vineyard! There are lots of good hiding places there," Brandyn blurted before retreating into his timid shell in shock at his own presumptuousness.

"Blaire...Brandyn...how about you show Velda to the play room? There is bound to be something there to entertain you all for some time."

Both Blaire and Brandyn noticeably grimaced. The clearly did not want to go to this 'play room'. The reason for this was unclear. "But papa!" Blaire moaned.

"But papa?" Baros said with a frown, "have my words suddenly become negotiable around here?"

"No papa," Blaire said in resignation. Brandyn just looked forlorn, a little pathetic with his nose all scrunched up.

"Now scoot. To the play room with you all," he said, before adding, "where is Briana?"

"She went towards the playroom," Brandyn said, the truth being revealed in his sour tone.

"Perfect. You can all play together," Baros said, before tousling his children's hair and marching off towards his office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom