Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chai La Hawkeye Barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source: N/A
Intent: To start Chai La's series of universal weapon components to augment their weapons
Development Thread: If Needed
Manufacturer: Chai La Armory
Model: Sharpshooter Barrel
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Universal Weapon Component
Production: Mass-Produced. (Anyone.)

Material:
  • Desh-Terethium
  • Hybrid Plexisteel

Strengths:
  • Compatible with Chai La Weapon Components
  • Long Range
Weaknesses:
  • Restricted to Sniper Rifles
  • Restricted to Marksmen Rifles
  • Obscenely Long Barrel
  • Functions for Blasters only
  • Increased Maintenance

Description: Designed using an old barrel that was massive, with some changes using a clone rifle. The DC-15A as a rifle was standard but boasted one of the longest ranges when firing at maximum power settings at targets. For a blaster rifle this was fairly impressive though Chai La was not finding many sights that could actually see that far away so potential vs the effectiveness was a big thing. The barrel is stricted to long rifles for blaster and shapers as well as only usable with energy shots. Using the universal components and energy cells on it can allow the sniper to function as well as the scopes being developed for the ones using it. The maximum range of the barrel is much like the DC with a ten kilometer range and the sharpshooter barrel is designed to give a stronger maximum range using the special scopes developed by SHai La. The maximum effective range . The shot capacity it dependent on the weapon it is being used with as opposed to built in and it can be used with the different chambers, pulsators and beams to provide different sharpshooters for different situations.
Primary Source:

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Tysk Willamina said:
Weaknesses: Restricted to Sniper Rifles Restricted to Marksmen Rifles Obscenely Long Barrel
I'd specify here that this tech only works for blasters.

In addition, since this appears to be based on the technology of augmented spin barrels, I think it would also have the same weaknesses of "increased maintenance and downtime for the weapon due to a greater amount of stress placed on both the frame and barrel".

Tysk Willamina said:
The maximum range of the barrel is much like the DC with a ten kilometer range
Long range should probably be listed as a strength.

While I can see this barrel giving a boost to its range, I think that giving a 10 kilometer range automatically is a bit much. As far as I've been able to find, the DC-15a appears to be an outlier in terms of range. The average blaster rifle(like an E-11 or A280) has a maximum range of 300 meters. But it's not unusual to see some specialized blasters go a bit beyond that.

Here are some examples that are noted for being longer ranged than normal:

X-45 Sniper rifle: range of 500 meters
DC-17m sniper variant: range of 450 meters
LD1 target blaster rifle: range of 450 meters
Sharpshooter V: range of 350 meters.
Model G8: range of 350 meters.

The longest ranged blaster weapon that I know of outside of the DC-15 would be the E-Web, which has a maximum range of 750 meters.

I think that the E-Web really ought to set the maximum range of standard blasters, and I'd say that 750 meters is really the upper limit of what you can get with this (which is still over twice the range of a standard blaster rifle).

That being said, especially with this being "lightweight", it should have some other practical performance weakness.

edited and found the sniper variant of the rifle which they basically gave improved sights for.

edited in also the changes for strengths and weaknesses but looking at it, those ranges are really short considering real life snipes can go nearly 2.5km (2.47 is the longest confirmed kill and it was repeated) that is with a bullet where this is super heated laser which would and should be traveling the speed of light. Star wars tech is generally more advanced and if the maximum range could be the 10 I would make more then enough changes to get it. I already made the scope and chai la makes a 7km slug thrower rifle cannon.

Tysk Willamina said:
with a ten kilometer range
Please lower range as discussed.

Slugthrowers tend to have increased range compared to blasters.

The benefit to using blasters is not having to deal with high recoil, not having figuring out ballistic trajectories/arcs, not dealing with how weather interacts the bullet, and generally having a lighter weapon and ammunition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom