Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech CD-9J Subspace Relay Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
corellia+digital+relay.png

Image Source: Satellite NX-2 by Dekus (DeviantArt)

Intent: Expand upon Corellia Digital's catalog of communications security offers by the addition of subspace radio transceivers for sector-wide communications, such as would be required by Major Factions and interstellar alliances.

Development Thread: If required

Manufacturer: Corellia Digital

Model: CD-9J Subspace Relay Station

Affiliation: Open Market

Modularity: Yes, a slicer could modify the station to function as a transmitter, false beacon, or anything else involving an antennae and power source.

Production: Minor

Material: Duralumin, Glasteel, Monofilament Wire, I-s3a solar ionization reactor (power core)

Description: The CD-9J is an advanced subspace communications relay station. 100 meters long and only 18 meters wide, the station is shielded against impact by four exterior shield plates. The shield plates, composed primarily of glasteel, also serve as a solar converter and function by absorbing background radiation to supply a slow but steady recharge rate for the station's solar ionization reactor. The main body of the relay station is essentially just a reactor, a subspace radio, and a substance antennae. Energy from the solar reactor powers the transmission of a subspace signal. A single relay station can broadcast up to 80 lightyears with no discernible drop in time or signal fidelity. The signal will continue up to a range of 100 lightyears, but experiences delay and signal degradation. In concert with other relay stations, it can provide near simultaneous communications across planetary systems beyond 100 lightyears.

The CD-9J is a satellite, not a space station. It is unmanned and the internal volume does not permit boarding. Any maintenance performed on the station requires a spacewalk or tractoring aboard a capital ship in order to perform work from the outside. The station is compatible with the CD-X cryptologic key for end-to-end secure communications and works with both subspace radio and HoloNet transmissions.

Primary Source: N/A

References
Canon:
Subspace Relay Station @ Wookieepedia
Subspace Radio @ Wookieepedia
Solar Converter @ Wookieepedia

SW Chaos:
ECHO Esprit ECM-3 SunComm
Corellia Digital CD-X Cryptologic Key

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Gir Quee"]

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, as Wookieepedia is as vague as most Star Wars technology on this point. So, I'm not sure what I should put as a response to that.

Edit: Our solar system is roughly 50 AUs in diameter (to Kuiper Belt), which is a mere fraction of a single lightyear (1 Lightyear=63,241 AUs if I recall correctly). Most systems have multiple satellites forming the network, so would 8-10 lightyears seem reasonable to you?

[member="Sor-Jan Xantha"], I'd probably make it somewhat higher than 10 light years. The Millenium Falcon's subspace radio has a range of 40 light years, and the basic X-wing's has a range of 25 light years. I would imagine then that a satellite dedicated to communications would have at least a 40 light year range if not more if it's using a single, powerful radio. I wouldn't be opposed to this having a single subspace transceiver with a 100 light year range (like the ISD's Ranger Transceiver). That could probably easily transmit information across several sectors (since they seem to be no more than 10 light years across on average according to the Essential Atlas), though there would likely be more and more lag the further away it gets from the transceiver.

An alternative to maybe consider is having multiple smaller subspace radios with lesser range. This would probably allow one satellite to carry a lot of different communication lines for multiple users all at the same time.

[member="Gir Quee"]

You make excellent and valid ponts, as always.

I doubled the Falcon's range (80 ly) as the optimum operating range, with the signal continuing to degrade out to 100 lightyears.

The exact change in the OP is below.

Energy from the solar reactor powers the transmission of a subspace signal. A single relay station can broadcast up to 80 lightyears with no discernible drop in time or signal fidelity. The signal will continue up to a range of 100 lightyears, but experiences delay and signal degradation. In concert with other relay stations, it can provide near simultaneous communications across planetary systems beyond 100 lightyears.
Thank you for you assistance and advice. Standing by for any further changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom