Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle C60 'Hetairoi' Cruiser Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
qiKfAgZ.png
Primary Variant

Image Source: flaketom
Intent: A fast cruiser tank with a powerful punch to provide armor support for Helldiver infantry.
Development Thread: Here
Manufacturer: Shadowline
Model: C60 'Hetairoi' Cruiser Tank
Affiliation: Shadowline
Modularity: Yes, see below.
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel Chassis with Quadanium/Terenthium&Desh/Durasteel Composite Armor
Role: Cruiser Tank
Height: 2.85m
Length: 7.8m
Width: 3.5m
Weight: 60 tons
Minimum Crew: 2 (Driver, Gunner)
Optimal Crew: 3 (Driver, Gunner, Commander)
Propulsion: 8 x Repulsorlift, with a max ceiling of 25 meters. However the tank gets unstable past 5 meters and is unable to fire it's main gun.
Top Speed: 160 km/h at top speed, but the tank vibrates a lot at that speed and gyro's are unable to compensate, rendering it unable to fire on the move. Cruise speed is around 90 km/h, but the main gun can only be fired at 60 km/h or slower.
Armaments:

Hetairoi Tank
qiKfAgZ.png
  • 1 x 120mm Electromagnetic Railgun
  • 1 x Remote E-Web Heavy Repeating Blaster
  • 1 x 6-shot Concussion Missile Launcher
  • 2 x 8 Tube Multipurpose Grenade Launcher
Hetairoi 'Long Fang'
7nXiyUQ.png
  • 1 x 160mm Smoothbore Mass Driver Cannon
Hetairoi 'Cataphract'
oAWBl4C.png
  • 1 x Electromagnetic Plasma Cannon
Hetairoi 'Phalanx'
VdRUgwT.png
  • 1 x 20mm “Shredder' Electromagnetic Chaingun
Passenger Capacity: None
Cargo Capacity: Weapons and personal gear
Squadron Size: 4
Misc. Equipment:
  • Integrated Sensor/Visual Array (lots of backup camera's and weird angle lenses, it's hard to sneak up on this tank).
  • 4-cell Shield Generator. Each cell provides its own, comparatively weak shield. Versus small arms the tank commander cycles teh cells on and off to allow each to recharge and present a constant force against weapons fire. Against heavy anti-armor weapons, the four shields are layered, and provide somewhat better protection against a single powerful shot, at the risk of burning out any number of the cells.
  • Standard Communications Array.
  • ECM Countermeasure Package.
  • Standard Tank Stuff.
  • Repulsor Power Boost (attached under each repulsor ski, enable the tank to maintain stability and fall control at high altitudes, allowing it to be airdropped safely, and giving it a limited ability to 'jump' high in the air and then make a controlled fall over hazerdous terrain or urban environments).
Description:

When Cyrus Tregessar first devised the concept of the Imperial Force Recon, he envisioned a unit that would pave the way for the Atrisian Empire's conventional forces, and could be backed up as necessary by heavier troops and equipment. Following the creation of Shadowline and the Force Recon's development into the Helldiver Air Cavalry, the need became apparent that depending on how the employer was, the Helldivers would need to be able to back themselves up with heavy equipment. The UA-50 Thunderbird was imagined around this concept, acting as a heavy lift dropship and gunboat, but somewhat ironically it was being produced before there was even heavy equipment to lift.

The 'Hetairoi' Cruiser Tank is the first piece of truly heavy support equipment made by Shadowline. It was imagined as a fast, capable, anti-armor and anti-fortification tank with fire support capabilities. Generally speaking, it succeeds in that role, though it doesn't exactly measure up against other heavier tanks.

The tank succeeds primarily in being fast and comparatively small. Speed was primarily achieved by using eight repulsorlift skis, twice as many as normal, and placing them all around the hull. This has the disadvantage of rendering them susceptible to damage, though the tank can operate with one damaged ski per side (at significantly reduced capability).

A quirk of the design process meant that the tank ended up with a somewhat oversized turret. Taking inspiration from then still being designed SF/A-40 'Aries,' the engineers devised a system to allow for weapon modularity given the extra room in the turret. The result was four different variants of the tank being moved into production (each variant can be considered 'limited' in production).

Standard on every tank was a repeating blaster with limited anti-munition capability, a 6-tube Concussion Missile Launcher, and two eight-tube grenade launchers, which can be loaded with smoke, fragmentation, chaff, and other grenade types (typical loudout is 2 each of smoke, chaff, frag, concussion).

The main variant mounts a 120mm short-barrel Railgun, which fires dedicated armor piercing rounds with an average muzzle velocity of 6 km/s. This weapon excels at defeating armor but has limited ability against softer targets (it's sort of overkill) and tends to be traveling at too high a velocity to be effective at clearing terrain. It suffers from an incredible amount of recoil, and can only be fired at slow speeds. Pilots tend to halt the tank and disable repulsorlifts entirely in order to line up an accurate shot. The supports for the rails are also extremely exposed and susceptible to damage if the shield fails.

The second variant is the 'Long Fang,' which sports a more conventional 160mm Smoothbore Mass Driver Cannon. The effective muzzle velocity is significantly lower (around 3 km/s) but a variety of munitions can be used and the shot has a longer effective range (it can be arced and used as artillery if there's a spotter). Being an almost conventional tank weapon, this gun suffers significantly less issues with traveling at high speeds, and can be fired at up to 120 km/h.

The third variant is the 'Cataphract,' which utilizies a version of the infamous Umbaran Electromagnetic Plasma Cannon. Most effective against shields and other kinetic-energy-resistant targets (and also has a large blast radius), this weapon suffers from similar limitations as the 120mm Railgun.

The final variant is the 'Phalanx,' which mounts a downsized version of the specialized 30mm 'Grinder' Chaingun found on the SF/A-40 'Aries.' The 'Shredder' is a 6-barrel gun with a muzzle velocity of around 1.1 km/s that fires at a rate of nearly 6000 rounds a minute. The rounds have a Terenthium&Desh jacket with a Turadium penetrator, and are typically of a High-Explosive Incendiary make. The gun must be fired in bursts or the weapon risks overheating. While it doesn't have nearly the destructive capability of its bigger brother, the 'Shredder' is nevertheless horrifyingly effective against softer targets, and has marginal capability against low-flying aircraft, munitions, and other fast movers, providing the turret can be slewed around quickly enough.

The faults of the tank rest primarily in its defensive capabilities. Besides it's speed, it boasts only a thin layer of composite armor which, while providing relative immunity to small arms (a trait common to most tanks) is relatively easy to defeat by anti-armor munitions. The main advantage it has is that the tank itself presents a very low profile, and it can be tricky to get a direct penetrating hit. Shots from above or below with anti-armor rounds or rockets are all but guaranteed to disable or kill the tank. Additionally, the repulsor skis are basically unprotected once the shield fails.

The tank is also incredibly cramped due to it's small size, and the modular turret plus lots of respulsor ski's make it very maintenance intensive. As with most Helldiver equipment, it is meant to fight in a battle and then go back home, not stick it out in a long engagement or war of attrition.

Overall the tank is a fine addition to the Helldiver armory, and an excellent heavy hitting support unit for the infantry and gunships.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Alright. Tank time!

I'm loving the images.

Wait... Light and fast? awwww.

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Propulsion: 8 x Repulsorlift. Repulsor ski's can effectively 'fly' the tank up to around 1000ft (though it's very unstable once it's above more than 20-30 feet, and can't fire it's main gun at all). Typically this capability is used for terrain hopping 'jumps.'
Top Speed: 230 km/h at top speed, but the tank vibrates like an SOB at that speed and gyro's are unable to compensate, rendering it unable to fire on the move. Cruise speed is around 120 km/h, but the main gun can only be fired at 60 km/h or slower.

Description:

The 'Hetairoi' Cruiser Tank is the first piece of truly heavy support equipment made by Shadowline. It was imagined as a fast, capable, anti-armor and anti-fortification tank with fire support capabilities. Generally speaking, it succeeds in that role, though it doesn't exactly measure up against other heavier tanks.

The tank succeeds primarily in being fast and comparatively small. Speed was primarily achieved by using eight repulsorlift skis, twice as many as normal, and placing them all around the hull. This has the disadvantage of rendering them susceptible to damage, though the tank can operate with one damaged ski per side (at significantly reduced capability).

The second variant is the 'Long Fang,' which sports a more conventional 120mm Smoothbore Mass Driver Cannon. The effective muzzle velocity is significantly lower (around 3 km/s) but a variety of munitions can be used and the shot has a longer effective range (it can be arced and used as artillery if there's a spotter). Being an almost conventional tank weapon, this gun suffers significantly less issues with traveling at high speeds, and can be fired at up to 120 km/h.

The faults of the tank rest primarily in its defensive capabilities. Besides it's speed, it boasts only a thin layer of composite armor which, while providing relative immunity to small arms (a trait common to most tanks) is relatively easy to defeat by anti-armor munitions. The main advantage it has is that the tank itself presents a very low profile, and it can be tricky to get a direct penetrating hit. Shots from above or below with anti-armor rounds or rockets are all but guaranteed to disable or kill the tank. Additionally, the repulsor skis are basically unprotected once the shield fails.

The tank is also incredibly cramped due to it's small size, and the modular turret plus lots of respulsor ski's make it very maintenance intensive. As with most Helldiver equipment, it is meant to fight in a battle and then go back home, not stick it out in a long engagement or war of attrition.
Ok. For starters, the speed of this thing is a bit extreme. Most of the tanks on SW Chaos stick to somewhere between 45 and 90km/h. Even many of the light, tracked tanks are looking at around 75km/h. Light "Warthog" type vehicles typically are not often seen exceeding 200-230km/h. I understand that the concept here is for a light, fast tank with a big gun, but we're going to have to scale this back a bit.

Can you change it to 120km/h for the top speed and 90km/h for the cruising speed?

Also, I need you to edit out the SOB section of the top speed.

Under Propulsion, I need you to change all those numbers to meters. As a basis of comparison, most Speeder Bikes cannot exceed 25 meters of height and most "landspeeders" don't elevate above 1 meter.

I'm going to need the maximum attainable height reduced to something under 25 meters. And I'd like to see the "instability" take effect at closer to 5 meters of height.

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Armaments:

Hetairoi 'Phalanx'

• 1 x 20mm “Shredder' Electromagnetic Chaingun
  • 1 x Remote Pintle Repeating Blaster

Description:

The final variant is the 'Phalanx,' which mounts a downsized version of the specialized 30mm 'Grinder' Chaingun found on the SF/A-40 'Aries.' The 'Shredder' is a 6-barrel gun with a muzzle velocity of around 1.1 km/s that fires at a rate of nearly 6000 rounds a minute. The rounds have a Terenthium&Desh jacket with a Turadium penetrator, and are typically of a High-Explosive Incendiary make. The gun must be fired in bursts or the weapon risks overheating. While it doesn't have nearly the destructive capability of its bigger brother, the 'Shredder' is nevertheless horrifyingly effective against softer targets, and is also very capable against missiles, aircraft, and other fast-movers.

Though I'm sure the projectiles fired from this gun would be devastating, the ability to track and target missiles would have more to do with having a lightweight and rapid-rotating turret. If the weapon itself weighs much less than the other cannon options, that could help, as would possibly reducing the turret armor and installing larger rotating motors.... but I still wouldn't see this weapon being able to effectively target anything faster than a light vehicle or a gunship with any reliability. "Maybe" a low flying starfighter or large cruise missile if you've already got the gun pointed in the direction the ship/warhead is coming from... But I can't see this thing snapping the turret around like a flak battery.

Outside of that... I like it, but there is something about the different primary weapons that seems off to me. A 160mm Railgun moving a kinetic penetration round at 6km/s has a significantly higher kick than a conventional 120mm mass-driver. And the generic "heavy laser cannon" seems a bit light by the comparison of the other two weapons.

I saw that you were also looking for advice in addition to the standard review process, so I'm going to try and make sure you walk out of here with something you're happy with.

For the Heavy Laser Cannon, I'd suggest swapping out the 'generic' model for this or this.
For the Repeating Blaster, I think something along the lines of an E-Web would be a little more appropriate as a support weapon.
But then again, I'm sure there are plenty of custom repeating blasters and heavy laser cannons in the marketplace if you poke around for them.

As far as the 160mm Railgun and 120mm Mass-Driver...
Could I get you to tweak those numbers so that the mass-driver is a larger caliber than the railgun?

1. So I decided to do some research on Hovertanks and found, as usual, wildly varying sources in canon. There's Clone Wars era tanks that jet around at 200+ km, and then the 'improved' Imperial version with a top speed of 93 km or so. Then there's the 20m long 1-H that can apparently hit 300 km/h. Given that the Hetairoi is more of a medium tank than a light one, I suppose 230 is a bit fast. How about 160 km/h for top speed with cruise at 90?

2. Oh, yeah.

3. Canon is equally unclear on the levitation abilities of repulsors. There seems to be no practical difference between a swoop and a speederbike besides the name, but one can fly and one can't. I'll remove the flying bit, but I'd still like the tank to be able to be deployed from high altitude (in this case the repulsors would make it fall slowly) and 'jump' over terrain. Would a line about power boosters (as seen on the 2-M Saber) suffice?

4. Yeah, fair enough. I'll modify the text as appropriate. CIWS this is not.

5. I'm thinking either that HLC-14 OR an Electromagnetic Plasma Cannon. I'm more partial towards the latter, really.

[member="War Hydra"]

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

I like it. The speed is a little more than I was looking for, but I'm ok with it.
I like the idea you've got for this thing dropping from low altitude and "breaking" as a means of landing.
There had been some concern that you seriously wanted this tank to fly... But I see that you're just looking for "hops" to move over obstacles and such.

For the most part, I'm ok with this. Lots of different, but very big guns. But nothing that isn't already in use on the board.
It's highly mobile however. Much more so than most of the other tanks we see run through here.
On the whole, it rivals a lot of submissions that had a great deal of work put into them.

I don't have any more edits or tweaks for this, but I am going to have to ask for a bit of a dev thread.

20 posts covering the design or manufacturing of the tank, and you'll be good to go.

Oh! Ok, I lied. I do have one last edit.
I need you to include a Squadron Count for this vehicle. Something in the 3-5 range would be good, but I'll leave that up to you.

BAM. That was like four solid hours of writing. A bit meandering, I suppose, but I think it covers things well enough, and elaborates some on Shadowline and House Tregessar as well. Let me know if that covers things.

[member="War Hydra"]

1. No. It's regular strength (probably a little weaker, honestly) bUT it's mostly based off a reference pic I guess I didn't include. Basically it's powered by four separate cells which can be powered on and off, giving you the ability to absorb small arms fire without burning out a generator and providing somewhat better resistance against a single powerful shot (because it has to punch through 4 separate emitters.

I'll add a description. Alternatively, I can make it a regular shield generator.

2. Affirm.

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom