Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle C1M2A MAT-TE [Armored Attack Walker]

Status
Not open for further replies.
at_te_by_melkorius-d4ncx90.jpg
AT-TE_Digital-Multicam_zpsefl7jfxg.png
Image Source: http://melkorius.deviantart.com/art/AT-TE-281098836

Intent: To provide a modernized, well-balanced, combination main battle tank and armored personnel walker that is based on an old, yet sturdy design.

Development Thread: DEV: Improvised Designs

Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards [Originally], Mandalore [Myra Hadrix: Retrofit and Redesign] / Improvised Designs

Model: C1M2A

Affiliation: Myra Hadrix

Exterior Modularity: Yes. Mounted Small Arms Weapon Systems can be removed and replaced.
Interior modularity: Yes. Interior organizational structure can be manipulated to provide more/less storage space.

Production: Limited

Material: Durasteel, Chanlon, Dura-Armor, Kinetic Armor

Role: Main Battle Tank | Armored Personnel Carrier

Height: 5.2 meters

Length: 13.5 meters

Width: 5.56 meters

Weight: A lot. [Cargo capacity = 8 tons]

Minimum Crew: 3 [Pilot, Gunner]

Optimal Crew: 3 [Pilot, Gunner, Vehicle Commander, Adjunct Systems Operator]

Propulsion
Engine: Fore-mounted Rothana Heavy Engineering Power Unit
Mobility: Six armored legs coordinated by a single operator and terrain sensor system

Maximum Speed: 60 km/h

Attitude Maneuvering Jets: Allow MAT-TE to be directionally maneuvered in zero-gravity environments. Does not assist in propulsion of vehicle.

Armaments
Primary Weapon: MD2 Turret System

The MD2 Turret System is a dorsal mounted, rail-system operated Mass-Driver Cannon, manipulated by a single gunner from within vehicle. Equipped with battlefield sensor packages similar to that of the A9 Floating Fortress; allows gunner to operate without spotter. Advancements in technology allow for more accurate firing at ranges up to 12 kilometers.
Manual turret controls alow the MD2 turret system to remain operational in the event of power loss to the turret

Munition types
--HETDAT [High-Explosive Thermal Detonator Anti-Tank]; for light or heavy armor targets and structures or fortifications.
--EMP [Electromagnetic Pulse]; for disabling the shields or systems of armored vehicles, aircraft or defenses not protected against electromagnetic radiation.
--APFSDS [Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarded-Sabot]; utilized against heavy armor or shielded targets.
--Standard MDAT [Mass-Driven Anti-Tank]; for common hostile light armor units and structures.
--White-Phosphorous Incendiary Rounds; for non-military/industrial structures, vehicles and personnel.
--Precision Guided Munition; for striking targets positioned within dead space on the battlefield. Fired munitions are capable of altering their course to strike a moving target.

References:
Mass Driven Anti Tank/High-Explosive Dual-Purpose [HEDP] baseline technology
Kinetic Energy Penetrator
Mass-Driver Cannon

White Phosphorous
Precision Guided Munition

Secondary Weapon Systems
Heavy Anti-personnel Repeating Cannons: 4 anti-personnel cannons, 2 mounted on the bow around the cockpit, 2 mounted on the rear.

Alternate Weapons Emplacements
I) 1 machine gun mount on right side of cockpit. Can fit heavy machine gun (energy or projectile) to be remotely operated by single crewman.
II) Single 2-tubed rocket pod attached to left side of main rail gun housing. Fed from inside vehicle. Compatible with anti-armor/-personnel/-aircraft rockets and missiles.
III) 8 small weapon slits along vehicle sides and rear. 3 port and starboard, 2 at rear hatch. Compatible with most small arms weapon, including rifles, carbines, machine guns, or anti-armor weapons/launchers. Fully sealed when not in use.

Armor
Main Armor: A baseline depleted-Chanlon and durasteel alloy base padded with a Kinetic and Dura-armor alloy that absorbs and redirects energy-based weapons fire and protects against damage from kinetic energies (i.e. mass-driven projectiles). Basically the Star Wars version of Chobham armor employed on RL Abrams and Challenger Tanks.
Durasteel
Chanlon
Dura Armor
Kinetic Armor

Chobham Armor

Belly Armor: V-shaped hull bottom made of a mixture of hardened Blast and Kinetic armor materials, capable of directing explosive force outward and away from the vehicle. Protects against the penetration power of Kinetic weapons, missiles, rockets and torpedoes and mines.
Blast Armor

Legs: Outer portions equipped with Kinetic and Dura armor mixture. Inner portions protected by V-shaped armor plates of Kinetic and Blast armor mixture. Latter protects against damage taken by underside of vehicle.

Shielding
Deflector shields: Two Chempat Engineered Defenses “Defender” shield generator units, mounted bow and aft. Provides vehicle with ray and particle shields of similar strength to that of a stock X-wing starfighter.
Comparisons: Defender Deflector Shield Generator

Squadron Count: 4 (1 per company, typically)

Passenger Capacity: 32 Soldiers

Cargo Capacity: 8 tons

Countermeasures
Infrared/Thermal Targeting System countermeasures: Disperses reflective chaff from around skirt of main armor surrounding vehicle, altering properties of the air around the MAT-TE that is being used to identify it. Disrupts target locks from rockets and missiles that are based on thermal/infrared/magnetic-signature acquisition of MAT-TE. Recharge time for countermeasure is 15 seconds. Equipped with 8 charges.

Target Modification Electronic countermeasures: This system confuses hostile radar/scanners, tracking and communications by producing false echoes that show in hostile systems. System can be activated at operator's discretion and has no loading time, as this is a purely radiation-based method. System can be turned off in order to avoid presenting on hostile sensors. Capable of projecting readings that reflect more/less, larger/smaller or quick-shifting of actual friendly forces in the area by saturating communication fields (mainly of sensors and weapons, but comlinks as well) with false information.
Target Modification Electronic countermeasures are activated primarily after receiving initial contact from hostile scanners, thus feeding the observing force the deception that the information they are receiving back is indeed true.

Line-of-sight countermeasures: Dispensed from the underbelly of the vehicle beneath the cockpit and rear hatch. Countermeasure clouds the area in a thick, almost viscous chemical smoke that obscures vision from enemy units, personnel and anti-armor weaponry using line-of-sight (iron sights) targeting methods. Confuses sensor acquisition. Clouds an area up to 50 square meters (roughly the size of a small football pitch). Maximum dispersal time is 5 seconds. Reload time for countermeasure is 15 seconds. Equipped with 10 charges.

Vehicle-Mounted Hard Kill Active Protection System: Utilizes passive sensors to react to incoming projectile weapon munitions, intercepting anti-armor rounds, air-to-surface and anti-tank rockets and missiles in a 180º arc x 360º field within 5 meters of the vehicle by dispersing short-range high-explosive flak charges. Does not protect against mass-driven rounds, or small arms projectile munitions. Countermeasure can fire up to 8 times before requiring reloading. Reloading time is 20 seconds. Equipped with 8 sets of charges.
Comparison: Hard Kill Active Protection System

Sensor Systems
Advanced sensor packages allow for the MAT-TE's weapons to be operated independently; spotters not needed for operation of weapons. All weapons are CROW (Crew Remote-Operated Weapon) equipped and operated from inside of vehicle.
Targets can be spotted through Infrared, Thermal, and Magnetic Signature fields from ranges up to 100 kilometers in normal operating and environmental conditions. Range extends with gains in elevation.

Advanced equipment requires displacement of systems within the troop bay of vehicle, taking up the space a stock AT-TE would fit 4 soldiers into.
Spotting holocams are installed in a variety of locations around the vehicle. One holocam is installed per troop gun port, two under the rear skirt armor, two on either side between the two front legs, and two facing forward and rear along the bottommost edge of the turret structure.
Ground-penetrating sensor systems mounted beneath the chin of the vehicle as well as the rearmost chassis are capable of detecting buried threats in front of and behind the vehicle. These systems, which relay their data to the vehicle commander's station and the pilot's display simultaneously, can detect most standard homemade and military mines and explosive charges 15 meters ahead of and behind the vehicle.

Consumables
Fuel: 800 Kilometers at full operating speed
Air: 3 weeks [due to efficiency of gas scrubbers]

Rations: 3 weeks

Compliment
1 Medical/field surgery droid
1 All-Terrain Advance Raider: Equipped with 1 laser cannon, one side-mounted multi-type grenade launcher, one side-mounted dual repeating cannon. Equipped with IR and Heat signature-based countermeasures dispersed from underbelly of main body to protect against rocket/missile attacks.

Description
Strengths: The C1M2A MAT-TE is a versatile, well balanced main battle tank that boasts significant offensive and defensive capabilities. Its countermeasure systems provide the C1M2A MAT-TE a greater battlefield longevity than most other battle tank designs.
By the nature of its design, the C1M2A is the penultimate of main battle tank theory and actuality. The vehicle is fast, well armored, and purports a variety of offensive capabilities. Though protected by advanced armors, the C1M2A's primary defenses are its countermeasures, which come in a wide variety of options to suit the terrain and combat situation.
The C1M2A excels at fire at range, though the best accuracy results from firing in place, rather than on the move.
The greatest advantage offered by the technology of the design, however, is of a tactical nature. A well-learned and experienced vehicle commander can employ a single C1M2A MAT-TE on a variety of terrain fields and conquer their enemies. But knowing this vehicle and its capabilities is key in their employment, and without proper application are useless, and worst a hindrance, to any mission.

Weaknesses: While the C1M2A MAT-TE is a well-rounded vehicle, the Active Protection System provides only a moderate defense against anti-armor offensive air craft, leaving the vehicle vulnerable to a variety of air offense tactics and weaponry.
The C1M2A is also larger than its predecessor, wider and taller, generating a larger profile that makes the vehicle more easily visible at mid-close ranges.
The addition of CROW systems and sensor packages required the sacrifice of space of four crewmen and 2 tons of cargo.

History: Myra Hadrix fought two wars with inadequate main armor support and years after she laid down her rifle for the last time, decided a retrofitted design based on a solid model chassis would best serve the modern military organizations of the day. Hadrix spent five years designing and redesigning the stock AT-TE before finally arriving at the Alpha Model (A) of the Second Redesign (M2), based on the Original Chassis (C1), hence the designation C1-M2-A.
Hadrix has yet to reveal her designs, and is unsure if she wants to at this time.

Ali Hadrix said:
Affiliation: Myra Hadrix

Ali Hadrix said:
Production: Limited.

Ali Hadrix said:
Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards [Originally], Mandalore [Myra Hadrix: Retrofit and Redesign]
From what I gather Myra Hadrix is a character, not a company or faction or other organizational entity. As such, I do not see how these tanks are being produced on a limited basis (which is like a company fulfilling a contract with a faction or government for a product supply) by one single person, whom is also not the submitter.

Those were all sections I wasn't exactly sure how to answer.

All I'm trying to secure at the moment is the design, that's all. There won't be any actual use of these vehicles for a while, not until I can support those explanations. That's why "Myra Hadrix" is listed as the affiliate, IC she was supposed to have designed the vehicle. I wasn't sure who would actually build the dang thing, Kuat Drive Yards is the canon producer, but I know some canon businesses are owned, others are Chaos-Canon...I didn't want to accidentally represent a faction that had no idea who I was. lol

As for the Production, I listed "Limited" more to reflect that I wasn't putting this out for open use. I'm still a bit weak on how the economics and businesses work here, so I just filled those out as best I could at the moment (I probably just could have done more research about that all, but I was getting too excited to write the rest of the design up).

So if it's okay to get the design approved, I can leave those blank for now and of course the vehicle won't actually go into production or use until those aspects are properly completed.

Did all that make sense?

[member="Ali Hadrix"]
You can change the production to unique (as you will have obtained only one of them), affiliation can stay as-is, and the manufacturing may remain how it was listed prior, as well.

Ali Hadrix said:
MD2 Turret System
Does this have a submission, or a link to a canon article?

The difference is in the name, really. I thought it deserved a name of its own. lol It's the same mass drive cannon as the stock one for the AT-TE, minus the gunner's seat (seriously, what dikut thought that was a good idea?).
The only thing that makes this turret special is the fact that I specified all the ammunition types that go into it. One thing I think I should add though is a limit to the number rounds of each type available for any given mission.
If I ever end up making any changes or improvements to the turret system, I would make a submission for it.

Alright, I've made those other adjustments.

Ali Hadrix said:
Advancements in technology allow for more accurate firing at ranges up to 15 kilometers.
Guided missiles have an effective range of just over 2 kilometers, a tank does not. I don't believe there are even any telescopic lenses that allow for viewing up to that range, much less an accurate shot to match up with it. This needs to be much lower.

I set a high limit due to a lack of many guiding factors. If we're talking about real world tech, then it's excessive. But when I look into SW tech, I found that the real world ranges we're used to make a lot less sense. These electrobinoculars alone boast a range of 600 km, so the range of the targeting technology of a battle tank shouldn't have a problem locating and presenting targets at 15 kilometers (as long as they're within line of sight, which may only be attainable at higher elevation).

Then there's the actual weapons technology, the mass driver cannon. It's built on a rail system platform, similar to the Verpine rifle technology, which is awarded some hefty ranges. 15 kilometers only reaches about 9 miles, which is far less than RL artillery technology (25 km ranges are common).
The Wookiee talks about rail gun-based mass driven rounds reaching peak velocities of 6 km/s. With a 105 mm canon round, peak ranges top 7 miles (11,270 yards), and this is a much smaller, less advanced piece of technology that only supports a 472 m/s (only .45 km/s), which is much, much slower.
If muzzle velocity contributes to range (which it does; a round's velocity determines how far it will be able to travel before gravity returns it to the ground), then a weapon that fires at a muzzle velocity of 6 km/s ought to outstrip the range of a weapon with a velocity of only .45 km/s by 13 times.

A 15 kilometer range is roughly 2.5 times the muzzle velocity of 6 km/s, which is roughly the relationship between muzzle velocity and range in an M2 Abrams tank 120 mm cannon (mv = 1.750 km/s, range = 4 km --> 4 km / 1.750 km = 2.28 ratio).
So if I take that 2.28 ratio and clock it to the 6 km/s muzzle velocity of the rail gun system, I get: 13.68 km range (8.5 miles).

Now, I just used a bunch of words and maths that I had to research, so I'm no expert, but wanted to discuss the whole thing. So with all that said, what do you think would be a fair range for a weapon of that caliber and size? My initial suggestion would be 10 km, or 6.2 miles. It's 5 km less than my initial ask, but still sits within that realm of believability for SW technology.

EDIT: As a sidenote I forgot to add that I believe guided missiles have a more limited range due to their reliance on a supply of propellant, whereas something like a mass driver round (or an RL tank round) relies purely on the initial muzzle velocity, caliber of the round itself, and amount/type of propellent used in attaining range. I could be wrong, but that's where my research took me.

Ali Hadrix said:
I set a high limit due to a lack of many guiding factors. If we're talking about real world tech, then it's excessive. But when I look into SW tech, I found that the real world ranges we're used to make a lot less sense. These electrobinoculars alone boast a range of 600 km, so the range of the targeting technology of a battle tank shouldn't have a problem locating and presenting targets at 15 kilometers (as long as they're within line of sight, which may only be attainable at higher elevation).

Then there's the actual weapons technology, the mass driver cannon. It's built on a rail system platform, similar to the Verpine rifle technology, which is awarded some hefty ranges. 15 kilometers only reaches about 9 miles, which is far less than RL artillery technology (25 km ranges are common).
The Wookiee talks about rail gun-based mass driven rounds reaching peak velocities of 6 km/s. With a 105 mm canon round, peak ranges top 7 miles (11,270 yards), and this is a much smaller, less advanced piece of technology that only supports a 472 m/s (only .45 km/s), which is much, much slower.
If muzzle velocity contributes to range (which it does; a round's velocity determines how far it will be able to travel before gravity returns it to the ground), then a weapon that fires at a muzzle velocity of 6 km/s ought to outstrip the range of a weapon with a velocity of only .45 km/s by 13 times.

A 15 kilometer range is roughly 2.5 times the muzzle velocity of 6 km/s, which is roughly the relationship between muzzle velocity and range in an M2 Abrams tank 120 mm cannon (mv = 1.750 km/s, range = 4 km --> 4 km / 1.750 km = 2.28 ratio).
So if I take that 2.28 ratio and clock it to the 6 km/s muzzle velocity of the rail gun system, I get: 13.68 km range (8.5 miles).

Now, I just used a bunch of words and maths that I had to research, so I'm no expert, but wanted to discuss the whole thing. So with all that said, what do you think would be a fair range for a weapon of that caliber and size? My initial suggestion would be 10 km, or 6.2 miles. It's 5 km less than my initial ask, but still sits within that realm of believability for SW technology.

EDIT: As a sidenote I forgot to add that I believe guided missiles have a more limited range due to their reliance on a supply of propellant, whereas something like a mass driver round (or an RL tank round) relies purely on the initial muzzle velocity, caliber of the round itself, and amount/type of propellent used in attaining range. I could be wrong, but that's where my research took me.
Effective range is the accurate range of targeting, that is not the maximum range for firing. When someone looks at the range listed in a submission, it is to tell them how far they can properly aim and expect an accurate or precise shot. Just as a mass driver in space theoretically has infinite range until it collides with something, its effective range is still no where near close to such.

While you may be able to see up to 600 KM (Which is literally impossible, considering the curvature of the planet you would be on stoops after several tens of kilometers) your ability to pick a shot with your weapon and adjust for wind, deceleration of the slug used, and so on would make your effective range incredibly shorter than how far you can see.

I would say that a mass driver cannon's maximum effective range is likely closer to 4-7 km, not quite much more than that.

Edit: Also, please @Mention me or quote a portion of my post in the future, as I do not get a notification otherwise.

I'm aware of the difference between maximum effective range and maximum ranges, and felt comfortable supporting the case for a 10 km range. I could easily settle with a 7 km effective range. I want to clarify, however that whilst a 7 km effective range is great, I would never utilize it in a combat situation that does not facilitate such an attack. Mountainous terrain for example would easily prevent such ranges from being attained. I will always take into account the terrain and physical location of my vehicles when selecting targets and employing my weaponry.

[member="Silara Kuhn"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom