Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Burning the midnight snow (Enclave)

She kept her eyes closed and slowed her breathing, as she basked in the warmth of Okarthel's sun. The vast rainforest of her home planet was a hot and humid one. Early morning rainstorms covered the forests with life giving waters, which by mid day are turned into dense clouds of fog by the heat of the sun. By then the humidity hung in the air like a thick blanket, trapping in the heat. The Kiir who lived here were used to it, it was all the knew. These dragonlings, however, were like their planet, they had a inner fire that burned as bright as Okarthel's sun. An warmth that protected them and reminded them of home.

But this, this new home, wasn't the warm rainforests of Okarthel. No, it was a far cry from what any Kiir was used to. The cold winds, every shifting dunes of snow and everything else laden in ice or snow that made up Kestri was the exact opposite of her native home. Regardless, this was home bow and she had to adapt to the frigid weather. The one thing Milla still did have of her home was her inner dragons fire. That was now her greatest weapon in surviving this planet. Like all weapons, however, she had to hone her skills with it to become better.

Which is why she was standing in a more open space at the edge of the city. Her bare feet planted firmly on the ground shoulder width apart, cargo pants rolled up to her knees, the sleeves of the long underwear shirt she wore under a black tshirt were pulled up to her elbows. The small Kiir kept her eyes closed as she focused on her breathing. Each slow breath fueled the inner fire like billows of a forge, staving off Kestri's cold climate. Standing in one spot doing breathing exercises, was a task she could do for over an hour. The real problem came was when she needed to move around and actually do tasks for extended periods of time. To counter this, she figured she needed to increase the heat her body could produce and for how long she could maintain it. All she had to do was fuel the fire faster and make it burn brighter. Simple, right?

Milla took a slow deep breath and focused on the inner fire. She could feel it building, increasing in intensity. Another breath, more heat. Then another. The fire began to rapidly build and expand, coursing through her body. Her skin began to grow warm, even to the snowflakes that quickly melted when the landed on her bare arms. A few more slow breathes, the snowflakes that landed on her went from water to steam. The inner fire felt more like an inferno now, as small wisps of smoke escaped from her mouth as her dragon fire fought to escape. Her body shook some from the strain, and her grasp on the flame began to falter. She took a quick breath to fan the flames, but it was too late. The growing inferno became nothing more then a small candle in comparison. The cold air rushed in and sapped the heat that surrounded Milla. The young Kiir shivered at the sudden assault from the cold. In a flash, she dove into the large blanket she had sitting near one of the big heaters at the edge of town, and buried herself in it till only her eyes were visible. From nearby, she heard a few guards laughing some at the sight. Milla gave a small huff before wrapping her tail around herself and pulling the blanket a little tighter around her.

The laughter of the guards cut off abruptly.

A moment later the crunch of a heavy presence as it strode across the icy and snow-covered grounds crunched sharply at an even pace. They came to a stop only a few feet from the blanket-tent that hid the Kiir from view.

"Am I going to be talking to a blanket, now?" Raze's deep voice boomed. Good thing they weren't at the foot of a mountain or she might have triggered an avalanche by her voice alone.

If the youth could see back toward the source of embarrassment before or now that a certain red, muscular woman demanded it, she'd find one of the guards face-planted in the snow. A fellow was helping right the poor sod for some reason. Maybe they felt guilty or didn't want uncomfortable questions asked later like why they hadn't done anything. Not that just anyone was wrestling Raze into submission. As for their 'authority' with the badge they could shove it unless they were planning on building their own heated buildings and defensive perimeters. No? She hadn't thought so.

A cloud of snap-frozen breath shoved out of the Krayt's mouth as she stood there, hands on her wide hips. A fur-lined cloak was held shut against the wind, and while the woman didn't try to let it show the fine frozen moisture on her face all but signaled she wasn't immune to the chill. "Vincent's Raging Rod, it's cold out here. Can't you practice whatever it is you're doing somewhere warmer? At least somewhere above zero!"

Milla Caranthyr Milla Caranthyr

Milla could hear the footsteps long before the voice. They moved with purpose, each step demanding authority as they drew closer. The voice, however, was what caused Milla to tense. Like thunder it rolled through the dense fabric of the blanket and assaulted her ears. Cautiously, she peeked out from her blanket tent to see a giant of a woman standing in front of her.

She hesitated for a moment as the woman asked in her booming voice as to why Milla was out here. "Well, it has to be cold for me to practice. I'm trying to use my inner fire to keep my body temperature high. That way I won't have to wear so many layers." The little Kiir stood up, even still she swam in the blanket and was dwarfed by Raze. Milla could feel her body temperature steadily rising from being so close to the heater. Removing the blanket, she set it back on the ground were she first had it. "Not sure where else to practice it other than out here."

Raze Krayt Raze Krayt

Raze's glowing eyes peered down at the woman huddled in her blanket. "Yeah? And your 'inner fire' needs it to be colder than a Tauntaun's sphincter on Hoth? Wait," she held up a hand, "don't tell me. This is like a warrior standing under a waterfall, right? Eventually you need a Zeltron's worth of water to 'test' your mettle or something?" Milla had tested her strength with weaker cold and found herself wanting in terms of gains, right?

"Well if you need cold ain't no place more convenient than this giant ball of ice that the Enclave clings to." Raze's eyes darted to the side. "For some karking reason." Seriously, it was like they wanted people to stay away. Technically they had so only Mandalorians resided there. What was it with people and picking only the absolute best or absolute worst conditions to live in?

The ping of a blaster firing nearby pulled Raze's brow low over her eyes as her head snapped to the side for a moment. A grunt followed a lack of a reply in kind. Not another invasion again. That was nice.

"Why don't you want to wear layers in this weather? Nothing shameful in bundling up when it's this cold." Raze had no idea about the Kiir, really. Everyone found the freezer of Kestri oppressive. This woman wasn't thinking of streaking was she?

A warrior testing her mettle? Milla hadn't thought of it like that, she was just trying to adapt. No, it's not like that. Well...I guess it kinda is, but I'm not trying to prove anything. I have an actual inner fire, meaning I can literally breathe fire. The temperature of the fire can be raised to keep me warm. I'm just training to increase the temperature and length of time I can use it."

The sound of blaster fire momentarily caught her attention. The fact that no one else seemed to be bothered by it meant that there was nothing to worry about. Milla cast her gaze about this giant ball of ice that the Mandalorians now called home. "Coming out here seemed like the most logical thing to do. I mean, where else am I going to practice at? I wanna be able to not have to wear a lot of layers of clothes so I can move around better. Also.." Milla held up one of her bare feet. "I'm Kiir, we hate shoes."

Raze Krayt Raze Krayt

Raze leaned forward with her eyes fixed on Milla's. The red and glowing woman leaned slightly to one side and then the other, all the while her eyes remained fixed on the other woman. "You don't look like a dragon." Bit miffing that. As she straightened up, Raze thought her visage was the sort that ought to be spewing magma breath or something. Galaxy was screwed up.

Didn't the Enclave have training grounds? Raze doubted anyone would care if Gwyn added some extra scorch marks. There wasn't time to make that comment, however, with Milla coming out with the whole bare foot reveal. "Yeah? And I suppose Kiir don't get frostbite? Even Wookie have their limits." That inner fire go all the way down to the woman's toes? Talk about being a firebrand between the-- "Well, you do you, but I'm not shedding my fur lining just to commiserate with you." Enough cold was already bleeding through for that.

"So. Belching up fire out here so your body acclimatizes to soul-sucking cold, huh? Sounds fun." Raze's voice lacked anything resembling enthusiasm. "Recent arrival, or been doing this masochistic activity for a while now? Could probably build you a freezer unit if you wanted more privacy and fewer... observers." Slowly Raze turned her head to look back at the guards she'd passed.

Milla stood her ground when Raze leaned in and inspected her. Sure Milla was small and looked nothing like a dragon, but she still had some of their traits. Like fire breathing, sharp canines, long life and an organ that let her dilute poisons and toxins at a rapid pace. The little Kiir simply gave a shrug st the assessment. "Looks can be deceiving."

"Well yeah, we get frostbite. I think, anyway. There's no snow on our planet to really know. So, yes?"
Frostbite was something Milla had been, and still was, worried about. Which is why she had the heater here and the blanket on top of that. This kind of training was exactly what she needed to avoid getting frostbite in the first place. "I...haven't been here for very long, actually. Hence the training." Privacy. That honestly would be pretty nice right now. Her eyes went from the guards back to Raze. "Finding privacy is a little hard when you don't know a lot of people. Trying to make friends hasn't really been easy either, cause well.." She gestured to herself "When you're this small, you tend to get overlooked by many."

Raze Krayt Raze Krayt

Raze nodded. "Wouldn't know about that. I'm as loud as I am tall. Being loud would probably help with being overlooked; better than breathing fire on everyone." Sure, fire would get attention, but you set someone or some business on fire and now you have the wrong kind of attention. "But if you're trying to avoid being seen while you practice, that isn't happening out here. If these weren't Mandalorians you would have had some overly sensitive prick telling the local guard to 'do something about the fire hazard.'" The red woman barked a laugh.

"Come on. They got training chambers for Mandalorians. They'll do in a pinch. You need something custom, I've been known to build some insane things." Raze's face was split with a toothy grin touting her reputation. And if that wasn't enough, perhaps a little conversation would convince Milla to come along, "We can talk about you being new and where you're doing without either of us freezing to death out here."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom