Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Blaze railgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanya Val Lerium

Neutral, Queen of Her people, Neko
yGYzEFh.png
FZGtebQ.png

Intent: to develop a fast firing rail weapon to be used by vehicles and starships
Development Thread: Girls making guns

Manufacturer: Inquisition Industries™ Arms
Model: Blaze Railgun

Affiliation: limited to Inquisition industries products or contract
Modularity: ammunition
Production: mass

Material: duraplast
magnetic coils
fusion cell

Classification: Quad Rapid Railgun

Size: Large Vehicle, starship, stationary turret mounted
Length: 2340mm
Weight: 57kg

Ammunition Type: 50 Cal
Ammunition Capacity: 480

Effective Range: 15,000m
Rate of Fire: 240 rpm (4 rp/second)

Special Features:
Zoom optic camera
Thermal B/W
night vision

Description: power, range or speed was the main question for the blaze rail gun. Because of this weapon will be the smallest of the line still in development speed was the clear choice. It can fire off four shots per second making it very effective against shields, infantry and medium armor on other vehicles and star ships. Although it limits near that. The weapon would not be effective against anything bigger than a freighter due to the plating been so thick it wouldn't do enough damage to cause a substantial effect. The range in atmosphere is the normal average range for this gun firing rounds at Mach 7 or 8643.6Kph. The weapon can be mounted onto medium vehicles and star ships as well as stationery person operated turrets.

+ fast firing rate: with field testing the weapon and the necessary tweaks the weapon is able to fire off two shots per second in each barrel maxing out it's shot speed in total to four shots a second.

+/- less than standard range: while a conventional railgun can shoot up to 402 km this is well under half of that. Due to the draw speeds the gun simply struggles past that and the projectile would lose momentum at around 14,800m to 15,000m any further and it wouldn't do any damage other than a keen flesh wound to someone with light or no armor.

+/- accuracy: at short and mid range this gun is very accurate and able to shread targets effortlessly but at mid-long ranges it becomes more spray and pray you hit the target.

- Damage: while this factor can change upon the specific round of ammunition used, it's standard is far less than a weapon of this category. The gun is designed to do damage in numbers not power. In simple the gun could not do efficient damage to anything bigger than freighter.

Starship weapon cost 4

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Sanya Val Swift said:
(in atmosphere) 225km (Space) will remain in motion till external force is applied. Rate of Fire: 240 rpm (4 rp/second)
While it's entirely possible to have a gun that theoretically has this range, in practical terms, a 225 km range isn't likely with something this small of caliber. Part of this is because of at those speeds, a projectile this small can easily be affected by weather phenomena, making its practical accuracy far less than its max range. The other part is that the projectile itself will have to be capable of not deforming while in flight from its high speeds to reach its target in an effective form.

With space, again, it may theoretically have an infinite practical range, but realistically, it has a much shorter practical range (which we typically go by long-range turbolaser range for capital-scale mass drivers).

Sanya Val Swift said:
Rate of Fire: 240 rpm (4 rp/second)
Rail guns typically do not have that high of rate of fire, especially with a good range.

This basically goes back to balance. If it has a strength in one area, it should have a comparable weakness in another area.

My recommendation would be to highlight its strengths and weaknesses compared to a commonplace weapon that fulfills a similar role (like a laser cannon). I'd especially like to see what sort of damage you're expecting this weapon to deal compared to that weapon.

Sanya Val Lerium

[member="Gir Quee"] I wasn't sure on the usual caliber of a rail gun for this size so I put that temporary.

As for range of a rail gun irl maxes it out to that but if you have a suggestion to it's Max I'll edit that in. Although with space I was entirely going from Newton's first law. Theoretically any projectile weapon used in space won't stop till it hits something or the progectile is effected.

As for speed of it's shots with it been a duel system it's it is firing 2 shots per second on each gun. Its draw is much shorter to fire the rounds at that speed.

Ill get to adding in strength and weakness once you have given recommended so I can do it in one swoop.

Sanya Val Swift said:
As for range of a rail gun irl maxes it out to that but if you have a suggestion to it's Max I'll edit that in. Although with space I was entirely going from Newton's first law. Theoretically any projectile weapon used in space won't stop till it hits something or the progectile is effected.
I'd recommend taking a look at the railguns used in TOR, which seems to suggest that the maximum practical range for a starfighter grade railgun is 15000 meters.

It's true that a slug could well travel past this range, but it's more of a question of if the targeting computer and sensors would be capable of telling the railgun the proper path, and then for whatever passes for the weapon's tracking ability to get to that amount of precision.

Sanya Val Swift said:
As for speed of it's shots with it been a duel system it's it is firing 2 shots per second on each gun. Its draw is much shorter to fire the rounds at that speed.
By the same chart I linked you to above earlier, it seems that railguns in TOR can only shoot once every 3 seconds. While I can see it being possible to fire faster than this, there should be a drawback that goes with it for a faster firing rate (such as decreased range, lesser damage, etc).

Sanya Val Swift said:
Is that okay also the dev was primarily to give this the speed it needed.

What speed are we talking about? Projectile speed? Rate of fire?

Sanya Val Swift said:
Effective Range: (in atmosphere) 145km (Space) will remain in motion till external force is applied. Rate of Fire: 240 rpm (4 rp/second)

With development, I can see either the rate of fire or the range can be doubled from the basic railgun stats per TOR. In other words, either a range of 30,000 meters, or a rate of fire of 40 rpm.

Sanya Val Lerium

[member="Gir Quee"] range already edited but 4x60 is 240

40 and lower makes it a slow firing gun so that would take away the rapid firing aspects.

By any means I'm not arguing just slight confusion of why a massive drop. Many guns fire much more and are smaller in size with only a single barrel.

Sanya Val Swift said:
Gir Quee range already edited but 4x60 is 240 40 and lower makes it a slow firing gun so that would take away the rapid firing aspects.

Sanya Val Swift said:
Classification: Duel Rapid Railgun
Is it two guns or four guns?

If it's four guns, I'm fine with 240 rpm.

With that, I'd like to see a rough exchange rate for what this is worth in terms of laser cannons (ex. this gun takes up the space of 6 laser cannons on a starships, etc).

Sanya Val Swift said:
Changed it to quad also I'm not sure Rapid is 2 standard range 1 so is 3 okay
I'm flexible on this. Three is fine if each of the gun's barrels is going to be doing less damage than a laser cannon. If each barrel is going to be doing damage equivalent to a laser cannon, I'd suggest 4. If each of the gun's barrels is going to be doing more damage than a laser cannon, it'll cost higher than 4 laser cannons for ship building purposes.

Sanya Val Swift said:
(Space) will remain in motion till external force is applied.
The effective range is not the projectile's maximum range. This needs to be the distance at which the weapon/projectile is most effective. For a normal sniper round fired from a normal sniper rifle, the round may be able to reach 5 KM if lucky, but its effective range is going to be somewhere around 1-2 KM. The same applies in space. Just because your round might continue moving forever, endlessly, does not mean that firing this from Alderaan will make your shot at assassinating a senator on Coruscant at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom