Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
RdZ4K3u.png

Image Source: HAWKEN
Intent: I want an engine that isn't purely ion-based. I also think these would sell pretty well.
Development Thread: None
Manufacturer: Ri'ess-Emeritus Inc.
Model: Blackmist GPE Drive / Blackmist-XS
Affiliation: Open Market for PC ships
Modularity: It, in itself, is a modular component.
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel, Alusteel, Adamithium, Agrinium, Ostrine, Synthetic Diamond, Misc.

Description: A simple concept taken from one of the company's earlier assault starfighter designs. The Blackmist Drive system does not solely utilize ionic propulsion. Instead, it combines a series of plasma-based systems to generate thrust via matter propulsion as well as. Fuel scoops lead to super-cooled ostrine compressors that force-induce scooped matter into plasma conduits. When in operation, the matter (a variety of viable gasses) is processed into fuels which become ionized into dense plasma in a miniature plasma rotor. The plasma is then re-compressed through a solid-carbon-reinforced turbine and directed through a series of magnetic and heating coils before intersecting an ion afterburner that may channel excess ions from the main rotor as thrust when activated. The exhaust plasma (and/or ions) is finally channeled through a three-way adamithium thrust-vectoring exhaust manifold to augment maneuvering and exhaust pressure.

((Relevant stuff about plasma propulsion and VASIMRs))

The Blackmist Drive has a very low ionic yield, making it exceedingly difficult for ion-based sensors to track, though it generates heat in excess and leaves behind a huge thermal emission trail via the ejected plasma. This, in effect, dampens the usefulness of long-range tracking. It is also able to refuel and power itself where viable fuels are able to be cultivated, and requires minimal output from a reactor in order to operate at any capacity. However, it generates a low thrust speed which hampers acceleration compared to standard Ion and SRB engines by a considerable amount (not factoring in use of the afterburner). As it is a sort of two-stage system, the drive is able to have its thrust output moderately increased by activating its ion afterburners, though ion pollution increases exponentially, voiding the emissions advantage.

The Blackmist Drive comes in two variants: the Blackmist, which is suitable for ships ranging between 30-100 meters (or as secondaries/back-ups en-masse for ships up to 200 meters); and the Blackmist-XS, designed to fit in starfighters, personal shuttles and light freighters up to the 30-meter mark.

Strengths:
  • +0.5 permanent increase to base speed rating for fighters / +1.0 for freighters (up to 100m)
  • +1.0 to speed rating when afterburners are used
  • Useful in helping to avoid long-range sensors (disclaimer: there are 101 other ways to still detect you)
  • Mostly self-sufficient with minimal reactor power draw
  • Your exhaust tails will look amazing!
Weaknesses:
  • -1.0 to maneuverability rating when afterburners are used, plus a massive ion trail
  • Substantial thermal emissions
  • Roughly a 30 to 50% reduction in acceleration compared to standard (depending on the vessel)
  • Replacement or reconstruction of parts is high-maintenance (exhaust manifold in particular requires full prefabricated replacement)

Primary Source: n/a

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Særa Ayña Savan"]

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Manufacturer: Ri'ess-Emeritus Inc.
please link the manufacturer

As for the physics I will be reading this over tonight. I know first off that you are ignoring the magnetic and RF emission properties of plasma engines in your stealth concept. But we will try to keep this simple and not to Techy.

Saera Willamina Savan

[member="Reshmar"]
Gonna just stop ya right there and say this isn't a stealth concept, it's simply a different one. Since many sensors can also scan most if not all electromagnetic radiation, sound and vibration, gravity, nuclear radiation, magnetic fields, heat, pressure, or the emissions of other sensors, not dumping ionic pollution all over space isn't going to stop anyone from finding you unless they're not looking for something. Though I also imagine the range of thermal-based sensors is much shorter and EM much larger.

Hyperlinked the company.

ADM. Reshmar

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Useful in helping to avoid long-range sensors (disclaimer: there are 101 other ways to still detect you)
it is still a stealth tech no mater how you dress it up.

But like I said I will be looking this over more and I will post tomorrow.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
Gonna just stop ya right there
Please refrain from dismissive and snarky remarks in the factory.

Repeating this behavior will result in action being taken by the factory admin, this is a warning, per site & factory rules.

You may receive punishment upwards a 30 day ban from the factory.

Saera Willamina Savan

What are you talking about? o.o

Edit: Also, could you please archive this? I respectfully withdraw from the submission process. I'll try to continue this sub but please do be a little less... cold and unwelcoming.

I personally feel there is bias in your accusation but I'll leave that for a different time. :| Also do remember that this is the internet you are dealing with, and people of various locations and ideologies have varying mannerisms of speech. You'll see far better results and have far happier people, asking instead of threatening, or just plain being polite about it. This approach is not conducive to success for either of us or for the Factory. Fortunately I am not one of them, but this is why people act butthurt when things don't work out here.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
+0.5 permanent increase to base speed rating for fighters / +1.0 for freighters (up to 100m)

+1.0 to speed rating when afterburners are used
To clarify, on a scale of 0-20, if this is used on a fighter with 2 speed, the speed rating would become 1.5, and theoretically 0.5 when afterburners are used?

Særa Ayña Savan said:
The Blackmist Drive has a very low ionic yield, making it exceedingly difficult for ion-based sensors to track

Særa Ayña Savan said:
The plasma is then re-compressed through a solid-carbon-reinforced turbine and directed through a series of magnetic and heating coils before intersecting an ion afterburner that may channel excess ions from the main rotor as thrust when activated. The exhaust plasma (and/or ions) is finally channeled through a three-way adamithium thrust-vectoring exhaust manifold to augment maneuvering and exhaust pressure.
Unless I am confusing something here, the two statements quoted seem to contradict the other. While tracking via Ion sensors isn't exactly the most common form of sensor used, or the only one, it is still sufficient to pick up ionized exhaust particles (which is what they primarily do), and as this has ionized exhaust particles, I don't quite see where this has a low ionic yield - unless the ion afterburner is minimal, which would imply a lesser thrust.

Saera Willamina Savan

[member="Braith Achlys"]

A. At the equal sacrifice of maneuverability, yes, in theory.

B. Afterburner off = ionic waste off. Afterburner on = Cry havoc and let loose the ionic particles of war!

I left out a lot of stuff being lazy and as non-technical as possible though, so if you can give me a day or two, I'll give this a thorough rewrite... unless you're okay with it the way it is, that is. But I kinda wanna go over the different collections, processes and radiations more because right now it looks like a cool base concept with a bunch of stuff slapped on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom