Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech BK-M3 Anti-Tank Munition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Emp_grenade.jpg

Intent: To create an anti-tank weapon capable of knocking out the toughest MBTs on the market.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Tenloss Corporation
Model: BK-M1
Affiliation: Tenloss Corporation
Modularity: N/A
Production: Limited
Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, Baradium, tibanna gas, electromagnets, and other weapon construction materials.
Strengths:
  • Powerful - Designed to penetrate as much armor as possible for a charge of its size, the BK-M3 is capable of puncturing the armor on most heavy tanks in use throughout the galaxy.
  • No Protection - Due to its dual stage detonation and the use of both disruptor and baradium damage types, the BK-M3 can penetrate through some of the toughest materials in the galaxy such as beskar or phrik.
  • Devastating - If the weapon penetrates the vehicles armor, the weapon can easily damage, destroy, or disable most known vehicles currently in use when properly utilized and attached.

Weaknesses:
  • Bulky - Heavy and awkward to carry, the BK-M3 is almost as dangerous to the soldier using it as it is to the target. The trooper cannot feasibly use other weapons while using the BK-M3 and tends to stand out as such, breaking one of the unofficial Rules of Combat: standing out gets you shot at.
  • Contact Munition - Unable to be fired or launched, the BK-M3 requires direct, manual application to the target. This means that the operator must physically attach the weapon to the hull of the target vehicle, after which the weapon can be armed. This also breaks one of the unofficial Rules of Combat: Standing in the open gets you shot at.
  • Limitations - While the BK-M3's dual stage weaponry allows it to penetrate some of the toughest metals in the galaxy, there are limitations to this ability. The BK-M3 can only penetrate thin plates or panels of such materials, meaning that machines and vehicles featuring thick plates or panels will require repeated applications to the same area to successfully penetrate.
  • Shields Bad - While capable of adhering to metallic surfaces, the BK-M3 requires direct contact to the hull. This means that projected shielding, otherwise known as 'Bubble Shielding', will not allow direct application until removed. Until projected shielding is removed, the device cannot be applied.
  • Shields Very Bad - In the case of hull shielding, where the shields are against or just a few molecules beneath the outer hull material, the weapon can be applied. However, as the weapon is not designed to penetrate shields, the shields often absorb most of the damage and energy. This means that while the BK-M3 would have destroyed or disabled the vehicle normally, it instead would only partially penetrate the armor or fail to penetrate entirely.
  • Shields REALLY Bad - Normally, troopers and soldiers armed with technology that allows them to bypass projected shielding would mean direct access to the hull. Unfortunately, these kinds of technology are not compatible for use with the BK-M3. As the shield bypass technology activates in contact with a shield, the disruption field destabilizes the containment field within the BK-M3, causing a premature detonation. In addition, the disruption field damages the electromagnetic field generated by the weapon, preventing its attachment to a metallic surface.
  • Metal Good - Based on a magnetic field, the device requires application to a metallic surface. Non-metallic surfaces, anti-magnetic barriers, or organic surfaces will not allow attachment of the BK-M3
  • Back Blast - In the event the weapon fails to penetrate, is attached to a surface featuring shields or materials it cannot penetrate, or is improperly attached, the energy cannot go forward into the target. Instead, the energy is spread outward from the device and, in some cases, back towards the device. Normally, this would only cause shrapnel and concussive force. However, due to the BK-M3's design, the dual stage weapon will cause two types of back blasts, one after the other, in such a situation. First, the disruptor charge will spread out after failing to penetrate, causing the damage to spread out at approximately half strength in a 5m radius around the device. Second, the baradium charge detonates and, unable to operate as a shaped charge, will spread out as well, function equivalently to a thermal detonator with a 10m radius of damage.

Description:

As tanks make more and more of an impact on the field of battle and larger, heavier models are cranked out of factories by the day, Tenloss saw an opening to fill yet another gap in the arms race of the galaxy.

Enter the Bapiiee Kahka (Tank Death in Huttese) Model 3. The BK-M3 is one of the first weapons fielded by Tenloss capable of taking down most of the tanks on the modern battlefield. The secret to its success is in the design.

Attached with the narrow end to the target and the end with the arming mechanism (big red button) towards the user, the weapon is ready to arm. A single press of the arming mechanism (big red button) and the user now has approximately five seconds to get clear. When the timer hits zero, the first stage activates and fires a powerful, concentrated disruptor beam down the length of the weapon and into the target's hull. The beam burns a hole through the material, easily penetrating the thickness of armor featured on most vehicles in use today. The beam is so strong, in fact, that it is capable of burning through thin sections of even the hardiest metals such as beskar or phrik. Approximately one to two seconds after the stage activates, the second stage begins. The baradium shaped charge detonates, forcing its way forward through the opening caused by the disruptor beam. This energy enters the inside of the vehicle, should the disruptor fully penetrate the armor, and immediately melts components, sets fires, vaporizes machinery, and incinerates the crew (depending on armor, placement, angle, etc.) of the vehicle. This often disables, damages, or outright destroys the vehicle targeted.

The downsides are, unfortunately, in great numbers. The weapon is bulky and heavy, meaning it is hard to carry and hard to apply, almost always forcing the user into the open and into highly dangerous situations. The BK-M3 is a contact weapon, requiring direct application to the target, limiting its use to close quarters and making its use highly dangerous. Also, while the explosive can penetrate sections of highly dense/durable material, it can only do so in limited amounts, requiring additional applications to the target which is, arguably, more dangerous with each application. The weapon sees a reduced ability to deal with shields, being completely useless against projected shielding and seeing a reduced effectiveness against hull shielding. In addition, shield disruption fields that would normally allow a user to bypass shielding destabilizes the baradium containment fields, causing the weapon to detonate as well as disabling the weapon's electromagnets. The weapon cannot be used against non-metallic surfaces and can be thwarted by anti-magnetic technology. Lastly, in the event of penetration failure or improper application, the weapon suffers a lethal back blast equivalent to a thermal detonator in size and damage.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Popo"]

My first reaction was 'whooooah what the feth is this.' Then I realized the following:
  • Most of the toughest MBTs on the market were made by you, so this isn't a one-upmanship kind of deal.
  • Few people use tanks, and this thing isn't built to knock out much bigger stuff, like other charges I've seen. Even against walkers, given the necessity of precise manual placement, I'm thinking this would generally come into play for just knocking legs out of commission one at a time.
  • This is a huge raft of serious disadvantages you've got, to the point where they outweigh the advantages in many situations -- which is clearly what you were going for. This sub isn't trying to be everything.
  • Canon's pretty clear that even the toughest restricted materials can be breached by stuff like this in the right circumstances.
My one unresolved hitch is this: I'd imagine this would be much less effective against ultrachrome. The disruptor component would still work fine, but the baradium charge, if I'm understanding it right, would turn into heat all throughout the ultrachrome. Minimal damage with the first munition used; use a few, and the whole section ought to melt. Sound about right to you?

Also I'd be more comfortable with this at limited production; high-end disruptor or baradium stuff has generally been pretty pricey/rare. Alternately, dev for minor. Deal?

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Jorus Merrill"]
The only thing I can see with ultrachrome is it does that effect with heat and disruptors... Well, disrupt on a subatomic level if I remember. Less to do with heat, I believe. It'd probably burn through, I would think.

As for production, I'm good with limited. I'll edit that later when I get home.

[member="Popo"] - On reading the sub more carefully, yeah, the initial breach is the disruptor field, the baradium shaped charge goes through the breach, so ultrachrome would work about as well as anything.

Yeah, this looks fine to me. I'll just tweak it to Limited now and stamp it, save us both some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom