Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Biofoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To make a new medic-y thingy. Because medics need love too.
Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/45355-in-the-grim-darkness/
Manufacturer: MandalTech/MandalMedical
Model: Biofoam
Affiliation: Open market
Modularity: None
Production: Mass-produced
Material: Memory-plastic/bacta/aerosol compound
Description: Memory-plastic is a compound that sutures wounds and can retain its shape for a week. However, it is difficult to apply (being a plastic compound) and can disintegrate even at the slightest interruption of germs. Therefore, at a request from customer [member="Catherine Romanov"] and seeing an opening in the market with a considerably wide reach, MandalTech consulted with its subsidiary, MandalMedical, and worked on an experimental strain of memory-plastic - the result was biofoam.

Biofoam itself is a combination of memory-plastic, a similar strain of bacta to the one that is employed in synth-flesh (purchased wholesale from the wonderful folks at Silk Holdings) and a two-part aerosol compound that allows the combination of the memory-plastic and bacta to bubble like foam and then harden within five seconds of contact. As such, this is a sprayable solution, applied to wounds; similar to memory-plastic it will seal and suture a wound, hold an organ in place as need be, and prevent lacerations and hemorrhaging. Through the use of bacta it will very slowly numb the pain of the wound (but not heal to a great degree, aside from very minor cuts) and allow the recipient to get to surgery for proper treatment. Those strong enough could, likely, stand up and get back into the fight if their constitution was strong enough. In general, biofoam is meant for first aid; if a medic cannot heal the wound, apply biofoam and send them off to a proper surgical unit for full treatment they could not otherwise give. Using biofoam, saving even more lives is possible, especially those that would have died in transit to treatment. It can also be used as a sealing agent during proper treatment.

Not everything is sunshine and peaches with biofoam, however. It has two primary downsides. First is that the application is exceptionally painful; it hurts like a thousand knives being buried into the wounded areas. Even the toughest men, nay, even perhaps [member="Ashin Varanin"], would likely scream just a little at its application. Fortunately, this pain only lasts until the compound fully hardens (about five seconds) - and then the bacta kicks in to numb the pain. Secondly is that unlike memory-plastic, biofoam lasts only three hours total. As such, getting a patient to treatment early is critical before their organs start moving and the biofoam melts away.

Biofoam currently comes in vials with a palm-sized spraying apparatus included, good for treating three patients before reloading. It also comes in MT-L1 Multi-Launcher capsules with the standard five second spray.

I believe I've had something similar administered to my hand the last time I got a really bad cut on my palm in real life (Cutting butter can be dangerous, kids!).

Approved, pending secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom