Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best practiced away from Tahv...

Force_Wave.jpg

Corvus had worked with Sera before – back when she was a Padawan and they’d also completed the lonely trek on Prakith when it felt like they’d had to face a thousand creatures to get to their goal. Actually, that was exactly what they had to do.

But she’d done no more training until now. So she carried her trusted Faalo’s Cadences box with her to a clearing near the Meditation Pavilion on Ossus. Opening the box, she pulled out candle after candle and arranged them in concentric circles. Being Corvus she felt the need to organise them in precise radii of the imaginary circles she was creating and she didn’t stop until the entire space was full of her symmetrical pattern. The outermost circle was some fifty metres from the centre and Corvus decided that would be enough to show a grasp of the ability.

So she removed her robe and folded it neatly, putting it on a nearby bench, before sitting in the centre of the candles and meditating, awaiting her student.

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

It had been quite a while since the last time the pinkish Twi'lek saw master Raaf. The Netherworld was an...unpleasant experience in her life, one that robbed her of quite a number of years. But now she was back, a bit of a changed person of late. Corvus had offered to expand a bit on the techniques used in telekinesis, and that would be an offer she would be silly to refuse. Since becoming a Knight the Cambrian girl had grown used to the idea that she may never master everything the Force has to offer, or even all of the lightsaber styles. That no longer troubled her. She wished to become a master of only two subjects going forward. A person whom younger Knights and Padawans, perhaps one day masters even would seek her out for training in the rarer knowledge of both telekinesis and Form IV.

Today though, those dreams would get ever so slightly closer as she absorbed what knowledge Corvus would share with her on the subject. Eager as ever to learn, she made her way at a brisk stride toward where the Jedi Master had requested their meeting take place. It wouldn't take long to find her meditating in the center of a large quantity of candles as if about to perform some kind of ritual. She would approach quietly, standing a few meters away, eyes closed and head dipped in a momentary rest. She knew Corvus would sense her there and would break her meditation when she felt the time was right.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

“I know you’re there,” Corvus said, her eyes still closed, “And before we start, one rule – no hugs, OK?” She smiled and opened her eyes. “I still say Kana put you up to that.”

Standing she bowed politely before cocking her head to one side. She pointed at her own face and frowned. “Are those…new?” Corvus couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen Sera and was sure she’d remember any facial tattoos.

“Now, I’ll start by saying I am no Master in some of the things we will be practicing. I have knowledge, yes and have a grasp of the techniques but there are not enough hours in the day for me to be as proficient as I would like with as many of the Abilities as I would wish. It’s all about…” And Corvus did that annoying thing she did by miming holding a large box. “Aaralyn was spot on, I just wish a few more Jedi understood the concept a little better. But I digress…which I often do as you know.”

“So, just like the old days, tell me what you know about Force Wave…”

"I would never doubt your knowledge of my presence, Corvus." Sera smirked at her words, feigning a grand hug towards the Master before shaking it off. "Just kidding. No hugs today. I promise. Unless you do something like save my life somehow. Then who knows!"

Returning the bow in kind she nodded at the question posed by Corvus. "They are new, yes. A sort of...Answer, to an inner battle within myself I suppose one could say."

The knight understood that Corvus wasn't a master of everything in the Force. Who possibly had that kind of time to dedicate? One would never sleep, or eat. Regardless, she would be ecstatic for any sharing of knowledge that she hadn't already grasped from personal training or through holocrons in the archives.

"Force Wave, like Repulse are powerful variations of the typical Force Push and Pull. Rather than directing a burst of energy towards a single target or two, one focuses their mind and energy into that of well....A wave. It's meant as a way to repel a surrounding force from overtaking you or your position. Although I've been unable to entirely figure out how to go about creating something like this."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus stood and listened. “We’ve all had our inner demons from time to time. It’s how we deal with them that counts.”

And she waved off the pretend hug, “If I have to save your life, we’re doing something very, very wrong.”

“So, you understand the theory, which is excellent. The next thing I’ll say is something I’m found repeating too often – but that doesn’t make it any less true. There is no text-book way to perform the Ability. Each Jedi visualises the Force Wave a different way and therefore is able to perform the effects the same but via a different approach. Some feel as though they’re pushing the very air, to some it is like being the centre of a ripple in a pond, others visualise setting up waves of energy – and I am sure there are other variations.”

“It is initially about trial and error and then practice to improve on the technique. Hence the candles. It’ll help you see how far the effect goes and also if your efforts produce a perfect circle for example.”

Corvus walked out of the centre of the circle now. “As ever, I’d recommend you start by Meditating and connecting to the Force before making your first attempt. Visualise before you try to perform.”

With this, Corvus walked to the end of the circle and waited.

Sera giggled at Corvus' note regarding saving her life before regaining focus on the task and listening to the master discuss the basic principles of advanced telekinetic power. She listened to the manner in which the candles would be used to gauge her success, pattern, and distance of capability. And while she understood the necessity for meditation with the understanding that this was most simply a practice session, the Twi'lek knew that she would need to conquer the technique long before she ever attempted any combat use with it, as there was no time for such things in the middle of a battle.

"Understood. Let's see what this girl can do."

Sitting in the center quietly, Sera silenced the world around, and slowly lowered her eyelids to seal out the daylight. Under the false darkness she buried her consciousness into subconsciousness, allowing herself to be consumed by a trancelike meditation. Centering her mind and body into a single entity became her primary focus, and she would sit for some time, likely boring Corvus to death with the amount of time taken to perform the task. Once she had felt the confidence of the flowing Force she would lift her eyes from her lap and stand.

With a few huffs of breath she would outstretch her arms in either direction, focusing on what she would be attempting to do in just a moment. As the Force gathered within her chest it would be manipulated outwards through either arm, with an even spread in both directions before the girl let out a sigh, focusing on making herself the catalyst to propel the ripples of energy that would tear through the air. A moment later and she would release the energy through both palms. A surge of energy would be cast forth, though hardly impressive, would blow along the two innermost candles, shifting the flames a bit before dispersing.

Lowering her hands she blew out her cheeks for a moment, glancing back to Corvus and the candles. "Better than nothing, right? She cracked a small grin.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus was aware that this sort of training was quite solitary. Apart from the occasional word of encouragement or suggestion, there was little she could do.

She watched the Knight take a position and as was customary when learning a new Ability, started with Meditation. It strengthened the connection to the Force. In time it would not be necessary but any boost when starting out was always taken.

Corvus was pleased Sera was taking this aspect seriously. Practice would speed up the time taken to access the Ability but too many Padawans almost paid lip-service to Meditation, such was their desire to practice a new skill.

The first attempt was no more or less than that – a very first attempt. “Good, good,” Corvus offered. “Never forget my golden rule – trust in the Force. If you believe you can achieve then you shall. Any doubt – even the smallest amount – will impact your performance. Again…”

"Don't worry Master, if ever I did forget it, I'm sure you would remind me again in my dreams." The Twi'lek let out a bit of laughter and propped her tongue out just a tad. "Ok. Let's give it another go." Again the Knight closed her eyes, focusing herself on the area surrounding her, as if each candle were something else, and enemy perhaps. A surrounding force that if they reached her, would surely kill her. This time she would surround herself in the energy of the Force, much like a cocoon, drawing in into her and again through either arms as the propellant with which to expunge the energy.

While her eyes remained closed, her senses became alert, and the flickering of the candles seemed to pierce her vision. Quickly and carefully she forced that built up energy outwards, cascading it in a 360 degree wave as the candles in the three nearest circular levels blew out. Opening her eyes once more she glanced around in front of herself, side to side, and behind. An eyebrow raised as she was surprised at the result.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus was impressed and with anyone else she would have been full of praise. But she was facing a Jedi that should have been doing better and the signs were there. She'd latched on to the tell-tale signals and wouldn’t let them go. “That was good, very good – but you can do better. Your language and even your body language tells me that you’re holding back.”

“Don’t give it a ‘go’ – just do it. And that eyebrow spoke volumes. You were surprised how well you did. And surprise means doubt. Eliminate any thought of failure. Trust in the Force.” Corvus stuck her own tongue out at Sera. “This time with confidence…”

"Yes, Ok. You're right. But if I knock all these candles over and cause a fire, I am blaming it all on you." Sera squinted her eyes as Corvus stuck her tongue right back out at her. Looking around she judged the distance between the furthest set of candles in all directions, and where the grandmaster was standing. A small smirk would find its' way on her face as she thought about what to try.

Standing still for a few moments she allowed her eyes to close and mind to focus. The Force pooled itself within her as she drew more and more energy in. As it seemingly pressurized within her she held it for as long as possible, intending for the wave to erupt as a type of telekinetic cannon in all directions. Finally she opened the flood gates and released the surge of energy coiled within her. A rippling wave of energy coursed in an outwards momentum across all rings of candles, and towards where the Jedi Master sat watching. Sera had intended to teasingly hit Corvus with it unexpectedly, and hoped that the results of her determination would make for at the very least an impressive completion of that particular objective.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus put her hand in her pocket and fished out small water bottle. “See, I came prepared.” She smiled but was a little wary of that look on Sera’s face. It was too much like looking in the mirror for comfort.

The smile was removed from her face by the force that knocked her onto her back. As she sat back up, she noted all of the candles in front of Sera had extinguished and all but the final row had done so behind her. In fact they weren’t simply extinguished, they’d been blown over.

Corvus stood. “Excellent, truly excellent. You seem a little...” Corvus did a motion with her arms that looked as though she was trying to swim, “You know – forward focused, but that will no doubt come with practice. Now you can help me pick these up, relight them and you can go again, yes?”

There was a real smile on her face now. Sera’s focus was commendable and it was paying dividends. Corvus wondered how she’d fare if she received a gentle opposition the next time she used the Ability?

Sera looked at Corvus and the water bottle and just simply laughed. "I should have known. Honestly."

In the next instant after she had sent the wave out she glanced back over and noticed that she had in fact knocked over the grandmaster. Another round of laughter followed before it was silenced by Corvus' request to pick up the candles and relight them to perform the action again.

"Sure! I'll try and..." Sera stretched her arms to either side and mockingly waved her hands in a backwards paddle motion. "spread it out better this time." She tried her best not to laugh again, biting her lip to keep herself from doing so as she began picking up the candles one by one.

Once finished she would return to the center of the ring and prepare to conjure the energy for the wave one more time.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus always preferred these light-hearted sessions. Yes, being a Jedi was a serious business, but if you couldn’t enjoy yourself doing what you love, what hope did you have?

And she considered Sera closely. She still thought of her as that Padawan that amazed her with her Telekinesis control way back when. But then she mused she’d been a Knight for what seems like forever. Too long – and that needed to be rectified sooner rather than later.

“Laugh it up,” Corvus responded playfully, “And are you still a Padawan? You’ll try? Try?” She screwed her face up and scolded Sera in a good-natured way.

Once they’d set the candles up and she felt the Wave starting, Corvus brushed Sera’s mind lightly. 'When twenty-five years old you reach, look as good you will not.' If the Knight was fully concentrating, Corvus’ interference should have no impact.

"Oh but Master Raaf, I am but merely a Padawan. You must train me in the ways of the Force for I am a simple child!"

Sera laughed a bit more and stuck her tongue out at Corvus before she added, "I'll do! I'll DO!"

Without another word she positioned herself in the center of the rings, closed her eyes and focused on regathering the energy to perform the maneuver again. After a few moments of silence and a number of deep breaths the waves of energy within the Force caressed her body, filling her with an abundance of its radiance.

A soft, long exhale would be followed by the movement of her hands while she prepared to force the release of the wave one more time. As she performed the technique again, she felt the pressing of Corvus' mind against hers. Kian had spent a great deal of time training her against this very interference, and so once Corvus decided to try and interrupt her focus by playfully insulting her, Yoda style, she closed off he mind and forced the wave outward again with a vast amount of concentration and the entirety of the energy she had reserved.

Though once she had completed the task she would look back to Corvus and smirk before even scanning for the results of her actions.
"I believe you've already hit that number, haven't you? Your human skin looks like its' getting a few wrinkles."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus was pleased her simple effort to distract had failed. “Kana has taught you well. And I’m very happy in this skin thank-you.” Corvus smiled. She lacked vanity, so had no interest in her skin having wrinkles or not.

She fished in her pocket for a small device and pressed a button. Soon the sound of marching feet could be heard and twenty droids came into view. They moved around the clearing in what must have been a pre-programmed pattern.

“Now,” said Corvus, the smile still on her lips, “Candles are one thing, let’s see how you fare against something a little more substantial.”

The clanking of metal on the ground raised an eye from the Twi'lek as she looked at Corvus with a moderate amount of confusion as to what she might be doing. Then as the droids appeared in sight and circled in a pattern around the circle she turned her head back to the Jedi Master with closed eyes and a smile, her head shaking slightly.

"Always full of surprises, huh? Alright then."

Sera waited patiently as the droids moved in closer and closer, until the last of them reached the outermost ring. With the clank of metallic legs on the ground surrounding her Sera took several more breaths, performing the wave was beginning to tax her energy, muscles starting to feel the exhaustion of the constant draw to pull from the Force. Still, she pressed herself to continue and extended her hands outwards on either side of her body once again and focused herself, her breath steadying as the flow of the Force re-entered her inner core.

A sudden expulsion of breath was followed by the rush of telekinetic energy that surged outwards in a spherical wave, racing towards the inner, then outer rings of the practice area, colliding against the small droid force that had encircled her, kicking dirt and dust up into the air as it traveled outwards from her body and against the metallic beings.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Corvus smiled back. “We always need to stretch ourselves.” And she observed the Knight as she first prepared herself and then executed the task.

It was slower than it would need to be in real-life – but then this was called training for a reason. And as Corvus was literally blown backwards along with the droids, a broad grin crept onto her face – only wiped out when she landed with a thump on her backside.

“Nice circle,” she said standing up and brushing the dust off her derrière. “I suspect all you need now is practice. Pace is key. With time spent you’ll learn to draw that energy faster and therefore execute quicker. In truth, I’m at a loss as to how I can test you any more.”

At the completion of the Jedi Master's words Sera smiled, nodded, and snickered.

"Well, I don't think I have much energy left today for any more of that anyway. So perhaps we've pushed the limit on this session, I feel that I have a fundamental grasp on the technique, and just need to better my delivery, energy draw, and consistency to get it locked down to second nature."

The Knight bowed graciously to the Master. "I thank you, as always, for the time spent teaching, the words of encouragement, and the fun. It is never anything short of a pleasure."

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom