Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEHOLD, and hello.

Hello, I am a relatively experienced roleplayer (been roleplaying for five years), and am joining this community. I have seen that the main style of roleplay here involves longer posts than what am I used to, how do they work for dialogues or quick actions? Doesn't seem really practical to make a whole paragraph for a single phrase. There are a few combat-related ones, too: how does the combat system work here, and what is the general power level of force users? I'm asking this because I want to roleplay fairly and avoid being overpowered.

still cant think of a name for my character.

[member="Dinosauria_Research7"]

Welcome to the board!

There is no required post length! Do whatever feels comfortable and most fun for you. I would suggest lurking some of the public group threads/etc to get an idea of how dialogue and action works here. Some people post a few paragraphs, some post a novel - as long as you're respecting the other person's content, the length of your response doesn't matter. Quality over quantity and all that. That being said, we're not a one sentence/chat format either so that may take some getting used to if you're coming from Discord or something like that!

Combat system is extremely informal in that...there isn't one. We don't do dice rolls or anything like that. When you're engaged in PvP, you respond as you see fit. Again this is all about working with the person you're writing with - take hits where you should, don't take them if you see a good way out, and chat OOC over private messages.

And lastly, general power level is all over the place. My standard rule of thumb is that if you put in the work, you can do whatever you want (within reason and board rules). We've got NFU's, and Padawan --> Master levels of all alignments running around. Again, reading through some Invasion threads might be a good idea since there's the most combat there. In terms of being OP, I say play on the safe side until you have had a little while to settle in! You'll quickly see what does and doesn't fly!

Any other questions, feel free to shoot them our way!

Thanks for explaining, I'm going to make a character soon. Are there any kinds of general (informal) rules when it comes to roleplaying here? As in, rules that are more of a etiquette, rather than the set rules.

Welcome!

If you haven't yet, I recommend you check out the official rules posted and start there.

If you follow those, respect other people's posts, and don't try to write gods or waltz in and take over stuff right off the bat, you'll generally be okay. If you use discord, I'd recommend hoping in there and meeting some folks!

Regarding Player vs. Player combat in invasions/skirmishes, one rule is to give your opponent a grace period for them to reply. This tends to be something between 24 and 48 hours.

You're also should not call hits on other writer's characters (the same obviously applies in reverse). In short, when you're making a combat post, you describe your character's actions and the effect they hope to anticipate with their attack and the rationale behind it (if you're using any tech, describing it a bit is also helpful, especially if it's a fairly complex weapon or device and the article describing it in detail is rather long).

To illustrate: Bob slashed at Stan's right hand with his lightsabre, hoping to cut it at the wrist. If successful, this would chop off his opponent's hand.

Damage is decided by the defending party. So you decide yourself what damage your character takes, if any. Rule of thumb is that combat is give and take (but you cannot be forced into taking damage, e.g. when an attack simply does not have a reasonable chance of achieving much of an effect for this or that reason).

Regarding Force powers, you determine your character's rank yourself (you set your ranks by clicking on your profile and going to edit my profile). You can start as an instant Master or as an apprentice/knight and promote your character when you feel like they're ready.

What if evading the attacks themselves is hugely illogical, such as a unconscious, concussed person evading a blaster rifle while laying down on the ground without any possible interruptions to the attack?

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

I agree that it would not be logical in the situation you describe. But you can't kill a PC without the writer's permission (same applies in reverse, obviously).

If you find yourself in a situation where you're duelling another writer's character, but believe that their writer is constantly evading your actions without sound reasoning, it's best to communicate with the other writer oocly and bring up your concerns.

You can find various rules pertinent to rping here: http://starwarsrp.net/page/articles.html/_/role-play-rules/

Thanks for helping me with my questions, I'll ask on the forums if I have any new questions regarding the rules or systems of this forum. Hope you have a good day/night/[insert time period].

[member="Dinosauria_Research7"] ... well, greetings and welcome to yah. Hope ya have fun and be look forward rp with you on the board....at any rate, if you need any other assistance or help with things or the bio just hit anyone here including myself a pm. And will try help out as the other prior question had done so....

[member="Dinosauria_Research7"] Welcome to Chaos!

I can't really top the other's advice so what I'll do is offer the suggestion of joining up with a faction too. A lot of the Major Factions have a large member base that are always happy to help you with questions and setting up your character. They're also the people who see the most combat so they'll be able to point you to PvP threads, or even have people RP with you to give you a taste of PvP here. Plus it's a great way to get into threads, almost all the major factions have multiple dominions and faction threads each month so there are plenty of options for you to play around with and practice with. It's what I did and it helped a lot at the start, one of the first things I did was end up in an invasion, caught up in PvP but the writers on both sides were awesome and really helped me to get into the swing of things. (There are some awesome minor factions out there, I just suggest Majors cause they tend to have a larger base. :D)

Like everyone else said, I'd be more than happy to help you settle in and answer any questions you have.

Have a great time here and I look forward to seeing you around.

Are there any factions that you would recommend for a new player who is going to make a mostly neutral character? Possibly some use of the Force on faction-related activities, but not the main focus of the character.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

Hmm, there are a good mix of factions out there. If you're looking for a truly neutral faction then I would recommend looking at the ORC, Outer Rim Coalition, think of a faction made up of smugglers and Han Solo types while still being good guys. They tend not to be drawn to the lightside or the dark side but do have force wielders and non-force wielders and are a fun group of people.

Another side that can make a claim to neutrality is the Mandalorian Empire. We have a solid core of ME players who even speak Mandalorian. They're a more combat focused faction, but like all Chaos factions you can't just PvP and they do plenty of storytelling too.

I assume that you would not be interested in the factions which tend to be grouped as the LS and DS factions? On the LS side you have the Silver Jedi, the Republic Remnant and I'd class the CiS here. For the Darkside you will have the Sith Empire and the First Order. These are the factions that will tend to be more involved in PvP conflicts if that's your cup of tea. I could make an argument for each of them to be neutral in some manner, but the fact is that (as much as I love the Silver Jedi) these aren't truly neutral factions.

A lot really depends on the kind of story you want to tell, and the experience you want to have. If you have some idea then I'll be more specific for you :D

I mean, jedi technically kidnap children and enslave them to be force-wielding machines lol. I'll probably join the outer rim coalition since it seems like the type of character that I'm making, mostly a adventurer with some bounty-hunting work here and there. Again, thanks for explaining things to me, it is very helpful.

[member="Asaraa Vaashe"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom