Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Guide to Combat (Writing)

I've gotten a few compliments on my writing combat here, and on the other boards I wrote on (more medieval/fantasy based) I was what amounts to Faction Owner for several combat oriented groups. So the idea came to me to put a bit of my experience to use, as i've had a few members i've helped with resources, so I figured i'd put them in a singular place.

Swordplay, good and realistic swordplay, in writing should have a basis in actual historical combat in my opinion. They spent literally centuries, if not longer in some traditions cases, developing how to kill and fight with the sword before Star Wars was even thought of, so while there are minor differences, the basics should still transfer.

I'll be updating this post more as I recover more (got an OLD laptop running) and posting more links here, but this will become a repository of links, PDFs, pics and the like I find useful for helping me both write and actually fight/use a sword. That's right, these links have, over the course of ten years, helped shape my amateur ambitions to Italian and Germanic Longsword fighting, stage fighting, and I will even be posting some articles on sword design and making, because just like with other such pursuits, understanding the mechanics behind the tool only increases your skill with the tool.

If anyone has any links they'd like to see included, please PM me as i'd love to see this become a community resource to help us all. I will post more on my next day(s) off, but for now, getting it going with a bit! Some of the files will be posted via DropBox, if you need help figuring that out, PM me!

Italian Longsword
  • HERE is a basic guide by the Italian Longsword school in Illionois, the Chicago Swordplay Guild, who is pretty much beyond reproach in their knowledge and drive to educate, in my opinion. This will help a LOT explaining (even with diagrams) basic movement, steps, and stance and strike in Italian Longsword, which can then help you in your writing better structure your fights

Basic Combat(Theory)
  • THIS link is about retired USAF Col John R. Boyd’s OODA Loop. Invaluable reading for modern and traditional combat theory and thinking. The particular article relates it to Historical European Martial Arts(sword combat) but the basics outline in it are core values to any discipline, in my opinion.
More to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom