Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Azure Class Republic Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flint Pherson

F
Azure Class Republic Corvette

Manufacturer: Coruscant Allied Shipyards
Model: Corvette
Affiliation: Republic
Modularity: Yes
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel
Description: Pursuit Craft

Classification: Corvette
Production Line: Azure-Class
Role: Pursuit Craft
Height: ~ 70 m
Width: ~ 70 m
Length: ~ 170 m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Ion Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Minimum Crew: 30
Optimal Crew: 80
Armaments: x12 Dual Laser Cannons, x2 Ion Cannons
Non-Combative Attachments: Sensor Array, Navigation Systems, Deflector Shields, Coms Array, Life Support, Shuttle Bay

Passenger Capacity: 35
Cargo Capacity: 1500 tons
Consumables: 1 year
Sublight Maneuverability: Class 4

Description:
Due to increased border security and smuggling concerns around the Core Worlds, the Republic commissioned a minor production line of modular pursuit craft. The result was the box-framed Azure Class Corvette built out of Coruscant. These vessels are often found around affiliated Republic Core Worlds tasked with hunting down other fast smuggling vessels.

Corvette_zpsff3e084d.jpg

___

Flint Pherson

F
That is a very good question. I'll compare and specify.

* Pursuit Duty: Speed rating increased from 5 to 4 during sub-light. Specifically to run down smugglers, counter freighters, and assist in light-craft warfare.
* Forward Ion Cannons: Twin forward cannons are purposefully located for pursuit duty. These guns are larger than the Medium Ion Cannons located on standard Republic Corvettes and can be fired in tandem to disable shields or fleeing pirate vessels. Synergy.
* Modularity: Ships can be personally customized by their skippers to counter specific opposition vessels. Granting increased utility value when harassing customized pirate vessels. It should also be noted that the modular design assists in receives repairs and maintenance away from Allied Ports and Standardized Materials. As it is a common trait of pursuit duty to follow the enemy into foreign territory.
* Cargo & Passengers: Specialized duty and crew numbers means less need to facilitate passengers and cargo utility.
* Similar is a Good Thing: Naval Captains, Commanders, and Lieutenant Commanders will not experience a strong difference in Command as they jump between Corvette Class vessels. Allowing them to focus on Tactical Warfare and not Engineering concerns.

You make a good argument. However, I want to point out that the Corellian CR90 "Blockade Runner" would have a speed and maneuverability rating of 5 under our our system. If you want to have it so that it can push its engines past the redline and knock up a notch to four, I'd like to see a little bit of a trade off in armament, maybe knock down the laser cannons to 12.

Flint Pherson

F
I need a Corvette that can hit a rating of sublight rating of 3. Otherwise I'd have to be chasing Pirates Freighters in a Pirate Freighter. Haha. Do you believe this to be possible?

Reasonably, I cannot. A ship could be pushed to most one step beyond its usual speed. Past that, and the door gets opened up for large ships to move at unreasonable speeds. There are more ways than one of dealing with fleeing ships. Ion cannons do the trick nicely. Its part of why they were designed and so widely used as an armament for warships and pirates alike; the ability to fry systems without destroying the target.

Another consideration for you are tractor beams. Again though, such an armament on a smaller vessel requires more power to be diverted from the power core, necessitating fewer weapons.

Flint Pherson

F
Ah. Forgive my science. My experience in this regard does not extend much further than Star Wars: A New Hope. In which larger ships moved faster at sublight then smaller ones. Ex:
* Destroyer outruns and overtakes the Blockade Runner
* 3 Destroyers overtake the Falcon before Hyperspace jump

My goal was to simply allow a smaller vessel, a Corvette Class vessel, to excel in the specific role of pursuit duty. Rather than with a larger ship. But now I see that my math is backwards.

Very well. I'll take the speed back to 4 and drop 4 guns. See how it goes. Will that suffice? I feel woefully silly right now. :D

Understandable. In later media, we're shown that while, theoretically, an X-wing and a Star Destroyer might be capable of flying at the same speed (assuming similar top speeds), the X-wing is always going to speed up and slow down faster than its SD counterpart, by simple mass. It's a lot easier to stop a baseball than it is a freight train.

So I want to get across that while your corvette might be able to run as fast as a freighter, it won't ever be able to turn like one, which is why I stressed an alternative of trading out laser cannons for ion cannons or utilizing tractor beams. If this is what you want though, everything looks in order.

Flint Pherson

F
I think I'm getting the hang of it. I've done some reading on the differences between 'Star Wars Space Physics' and 'Real World Space Physics'.

* Sound in Space
* Turning and Banking
* Drift and Braking
* Fire and Light
* Hyperspace, FTL, Hypercomm Variable Transmission Speeds, Doing 0.5 past Lightspeed, etc.

And my conclusion is that I can make this work. Haha. So yeah. I'd like this to be the final submission. And thanks Ayden. Now I know how to separate my science from SW a little bit better. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom