Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Avaris Harpyia

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
ddktqcm-5955c77c-1c50-4c38-a876-3f7cc5635dea.png

• Intent: To create a unique playable race and to flesh out sanctuary [planet] lore.
  • ​Image Credit: Original [x] - Jenna Gray, Altered by me, [member="Darth Morrow"]
  • Canon: N/A
  • Links: [x], [x]
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Avaris Harpyia
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: Outer Rim
  • Average Lifespan: 150-200 Standard Years
  • Estimated Population: Rare.
  • Description: A winged race of unknown origin, generally they posses bird like legs ending with large talons, while not all do some may also have clawed fingers, horns sprouting from their skulls and scaled appendages. Though all do have pointed ears and one toned eyes with no discernible iris or cornea.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type I
  • Average Height of Adults: 1.6 m - 1.9 m
  • Average Length of Adults: [Wingspan] 2.6 m - 3.1 m
  • Skin color: Grey - Tan, Rarely vibrant hues.
  • Hair color: White - Black, Rarely vibrant hues.
  • Distinctions: Generally, male Avaris Harpyia are larger than females, tending to have larger wingspans and being far taller. All of the species posses bird like legs with thick razor like talons on the end. Some may posses one to four horns or scales appendages. Those with a certain genetic alteration yet known tend to be more vibrant in color while most are paler.
  • Races: N/A
  • Force Sensitivity: All
Strengths:
  • Flight - Because of their light frame Avaris Harpyia are capable of true flight, should they have the space to take off. When in their air they have a good maneuverability with a wide turn radius. Generally an Avaris Harpyia can remain in the air as long as their constitution will allow, with more practice they can remain in flight longer.
  • Agile - On the ground they are considerably more agile than normal humans due to their light and thin frames.
  • Shapeshifting - Because of their persecuted history, many Avaris Harpyia are taught to shift their forms using the force from a young age to hide their true natures among other species. It a highly held value, and among the only few traditions still held between all clans.
  • Darkvision - Because of the way their eyes function, Avaris Harpyia are capable of seeing in both light and dark environments.
Weaknesses:
  • Fragile - In order to allow Avaris Harpyia true flight, their bones are thinner than an average human and the inside more porous. As a result they are considerably more fragile when it comes to taking blows.
  • Grounded Wings - Most Avaris Harpyia are incapable of wearing heavy armors and carrying heavy weaponry if they wish to still be able to fly. Too much weight renders their wings incapable of lift off.
  • Large Wingspan - When wings are fully outstretched, they are a minimum of 2.6 m wide for adults, should the space be any smaller they are incapable of taking flight.
  • Shifting Exhaustion - Most Avaris Harpyia only shift forms when absolutely necessary and in safety as it is a severely draining act, often leaving them with extreme exhaustion; this meaning they are incapable of any intensive activities including flying or fleeing a dangerous situation.
  • Hunted - Though less common than in prior history, the hunting of Avaris Harpyia still happens in that they are killed for the feathered wings on their back; which generally fetch a fair price since their feathers are as soft as silk. Because of this, Avaris Harpyia tend to remain in hidden clans and shift when outside of them, few knowing their true forms.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Different based on clan.
  • Communication: Harpyia [Racial], Galactic Basic in those who have left clans.
  • Technology level: Galactic Standard
  • Religion/Beliefs: The Mother, [x]
  • General behavior: Those of the species tend to have different general behavior depending on clans which they were raised and how much time they have lived outside of said clans. Most members of clans tend to live more secretly than those outside, and not much is known about behaviors inside. Those who have described their lives from before say they are very obsessed with nature, usually caring for forests and helping preserve life. While generally rather frail, many are still taught decently well in combat with staffs and improvised weaponry, along with that they are tested and proven capable fliers.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Avaris Harpyia were a once prevalent species in the galaxy, now reduced to few scatted clans the remaining groups are beginning to dwindle because of hunting on their species as their feathers are so highly sought. Before the decline of the species many were known as avid warriors and healers outside of clans, often being seen as disguised humans aiding in the wars of Sith and Jedi, though once discovered in homelands as they were, many were slaughtered for nothing more than being seen as monsters with parts for sale. Those surviving the murder of their species migrated to more remote corners of the galaxy, over time their numbers falling more and more by the year. The largest clan, the Varpen clan, was moved to sanctuary in recent history to offer then safety, and hopefully a home for them to try and slowly rebuild their culture in peace as no violence is allowed on the planet as per Sith Law, a place of safe harbor for all endangered species of the galaxy.

--

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Avaris Harpyia Extended History and Culture [x]

Good Afternoon [member="Darth Morrow"],

This is a nicely put together submission you've got here, I especially like that you're creating a species that isn't thriving but struggling to resetabliush itself, that's not something we see a lot of and it's nice to see a different take on a species. There are a few things I'd like to run through with you to clarify and correct before I approve this.

1) Image Credit

Darth Morrow said:
Image Credit: Original [x] - Jenna Gray
While this is the correct link, I was wondering who did the modifications to the original image? Did you do them yourself, or did someone else make the adjustments for you?

2) Estimated Population

Darth Morrow said:
Estimated Population: Scattered | Rare.

We require you choose one rating or the other here, so could you please choose one between Scattered and Rare? From the description you provide I'd suggest Rare, while it is often limited to one world, it doesn't have to be and seems to best describe the species situation at the current time.

3) Origin

Darth Morrow said:
Origins: Unknown Origins

I understand what it is you're aiming for here, however to codify something is to establish it and we'll need to know at least some details of where the Avaris Harpyia are from. As per the codex template, the revelvant sections which I have copied below, this could mean a planet or a region of space. If you don't have a specific planet in mind for their origin, I would at least recommend you choose a region of space such as the unknown region.

Origins: [ This can be a planet (canon or Chaos canon sub), a company's lab, a region of space, extra-galactic, etc. Provide a link if applicable. ]

4) Religion

Darth Morrow said:
Religion/Beliefs: Unknown.
Could you just confirm, is this to say that they have no specific belief, or you don't want to reveal that yet?

5) Metamorphisis

You have said that the Avaris have the ability to shift their form at will due to their connection to the force, could you expand on this a little? I assume that you mean that they racially can access the power of Metamorphisis to alter their form. However, the codex rules on species that are completely force sensitive are very specific, I have quoted them below for your convenience.

Completely Force sensitive species may not start off with fully developed Force Powers. That is a matter of the individual, not the race. They are born force sensitive, but that is a potential, rather than an absolute. All Force sensitive species may have passive abilities that do not require training (improved reflexes, low grade pre-cog, etc), but are prohibited from having active abilities (force lightning, telekinesis, etc). Exceptions are made for artificially engineered species (Sithspawn, etc), if they have been tailored for specific abilities. Racial abilities that are not affiliated with the Force (Ex. Zeltron Empathy/Pheromones) are exempted from this. These species should include appropriate weaknesses, such as difficulties with Force Null fields.

As you can see, the ability to use Metamorphisis as a racial ability would not be allowed since they'd have to learn to control the ability. Through their culture and training they might learn the ability, but as the rules state that is a matter of the individual rather than the species and would have to be noted as such.

Please read through my points and tag me back when you've decided what you want to do.

[member="John Locke"]

Altered requests 1-4.

The reason for number 5 being worded the way it is, is because I modeled them partially after changelings (which is under important links). I wasn't sure exactly how to word it but it was more intended as a racial ability like changelings/shapeshifter species. While I wasn't sure if it was something that would rely on the force and more biology it seems as a skill they are born with the capability of performing.

[x] The Shi'ido page, a part of what I used in their creation for inspiration and modeling references that even children were capable of changing form, only becoming better at it as adults but still gifted with the ability. So I wasn't sure how to incorporate something like that idea.

Do you have any suggestions on altering it?

It wasn't meant to be necessarily a force power.

Good Morning [member="Darth Morrow"], thanks for making those adjustments.

Firstly, I wanna say that's some amazing photoshop skills there, the image adjustment is really top-notch. There are just a few minor things I wanna clean up before we talk about the shapeshifting.

1) Origins

Darth Morrow said:
Origins: Outer Rim
That's perfect, thank you. If you could just link to the wookiepedia page on The Outer Rim, provided here.

2) Religion

Darth Morrow said:
The Mother, will be expanded upon in another submission.

That's great, thank you. However, if I can ask, instead of refering to another submission, which would mean pulling this submission out of the codex to adjust the links, could you create a thread in the pre-codex for the religion and link it here, that way you can work on it at your leisure, and this submission will still be complete and won't need adjusting later?

3) Shapeshifting

I see where you were trying to go with this. However, the Shi'do were able to shapeshift because of hte unique nature of their bodies and not because of any connection to the force. If you wanted it to be a racial trait then I would suggest something similiar, however the presence of wings and scales would make this shifting more doffocult because they couldn't be transformed but would have to be stored somewhere. In the case of the Shi'do or Clawdites, they lacked any such distincive features, allowing them to more easily mimic other species.

My suggestion would be to take it away from a racial trait, and instead make the training of that ability something of a cultural heritage, given their hidden and persecuted history that would make sense, and would mean that the ability to hide like this is mantained at an individual level and not something inherent to the species.

[member="John Locke"]

Thank you! I try to put as much effort I can into my edits without diminishing the original artists work. I think the original pieces were nice but I wanted to make them a little darker looking.

Anyways, I adjusted the submission again and will continue working on culture and history content in the other extended page for them now in pre-codex, everything should be linked as requested and the shifting has been reworded under the strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom