Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attanning Enlightenment (Danger Arceneau)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Selka and [member="Danger Arceneau"] went back a good way. They weren't close, not in the sense of seeing each other daily, but Danger had been the one to get Selka up out of her imposed coma during the Rudrig incident. And secret Sith Lord or not, self-identified as Velok or not, mass murderer or not, there were just some links, some debts, you didn't forget. The message went out using the highest levels of Tion encryption, just because it was available to both of them.

Danger-

My yacht is out on a sales and acquisitions cruise, and I'd like to drop by wherever you're at, whenever you have the time. I've got my hands on a piece of technology that your Companions would find very, very practical.

Selka

[member="Selka Ventus"]

Selka,

It would be a fine pleasure to see your face again. Feel free to stop on by my newest space station in the Oseon System. The Flamewind is bound to start anytime soon, and I'm sure you wouldn't mind the view.

Reckon you'd like some time away and you've piqued my interest.

~Danger

The Oseon System beheld one of the most beautiful wonders of the galaxy three weeks out of the year. The Flamewind was a stream of radiation, in wavelengths from the infrared to the ultraviolet, issued from the star Oseon. From the star, it flared out to encompass the entire Oseon system, tearing off electrically charged particles from the asteroids to form a giant pinwheel of constantly shifting color.

It was a massively profitable tourist attraction for Oseon and the Centrality, one that Danger decided to expand upon by building an enormous space station suited for maximum visual coverage of the event itself. While large, it held all the comforts of luxury along with educational museums, shops, and lodging as a premier tourist resort.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Danger Arceneau"]

In other lives, the Flamewind of Oseon had been one of Selka's favorite sights, but she'd never yet seen it as herself, only in Je'gan's and Velok's memories. As hyperspace flared to starlines and then dropped to realspace, she stood by the window of the yacht's business lounge. In the background, a holographic Selkath was talking with some of her aides, their conversation a susurrus of Ahto City business cant. She could speak fluent Selkath, but she didn't always think in that language, and didn't always absorb it when focused elsewhere. Like, say, on an interplanetary fireworks show.

The backlight shifted.

<<Miss Ventus?>>

She turned and smiled. It was always a gamble as to whether Selkath could determine your expression, but her aide had been with her for years. "Yes?"

<<Ob'stakul informs me that the general was satisfied with the iBorg proposal. We have been permitted to lease office and storefront space on Etti Four. The transit costs are still a concern.>>

"Transit costs do not concern me, Dificul." She often found it best to avoid contractions when speaking Basic with Selkath. "I've navigated the Corporate Sector's procurement processes before, with Silk and with Akure. A location on Etti Four will put us in a position to bid on military contracts, but that's not the whole of it. Many of the Corporate Sector's companies work their labour forces hard; accidents happen. There's a massive market for cheap prosthetics that can still work with heavily traumatized or atrophied connections, years-old stumps -- and that technology is a natural outgrowth of what we already do. A regression, even. A Phade-Clarity connection is just a far more expensive and capable version of the same neural-link-to-prosthesis pairing. Initial outlay may be high, overhead may be high, but we're going to make a killing." She gestured back at the window. "Come watch the Flamewind with me. We're closing in on Arceneau's station."

She and Dificul stood there, silent, until the three-hundred-metre yacht trembled to a halt against the station's airlock. Then they went to go find Danger.

[member="Selka Ventus"]

Find Danger they would; or more aptly, Danger would find them.

The full hipped woman would shine a genuine smile towards the mocha skinned business woman, having personally come over to greet Selka herself.

Maybe it was the wake of having to deal with Alric's betrayal, but there was a dire need for the woman who lost not only her best friend but a lover to touch base with other connections. Or maybe that was just age creeping towards her making her realize that there are a few more important things in life than profit and expansion.

Like folk one could trust.

Danger held Selka in high regard, and perhaps her brooding mother hen ways might have been a bit too stifling, but she meant well. Either way, the Queen of Trade would welcome the young executive of the newest cybernetic business to hit the 'verse.

"Selka, my goodness you are a sight for sore eyes," she'd sing in her familiar twang, hiding the shadow of melancholy she had been getting so well at keeping at bay from the public eye.

"Looks like you made it just in time for the show."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

Selka's world was one of counterfeit emotion or none at all. Her own feelings, when she had them, were generally directed towards the progress of her identity. Danger Arceneau constituted an exception. The smile she gave the ginger was just as genuine as the smile she got. "Hey there, Danger. Glad to see you." Something prickled at the corner of her eye, some...elusive sense or instinct, or maybe just relief to be in the presence of something both real and at her level. Elsewhere, she knew, sycophants and functionaries were forging Corporate Sector connections on her behalf, arranging real estate and Perlemian shipping concerns, and setting up shop on Etti Four in general. And in a very real sense, none of it mattered.

She turned her attention to the nearest viewport, a glasteel panorama capable of letting in unprecedented beauty and keeping out unprecedented firepower. More that most, ATC understood that aesthetics and functionality didn't need to be mutually exclusive. Selka looked out over the Oseon system. "My captain timed this just right, it seems. I've been looking forward to this."

[member="Selka Ventus"]

Her eyes would take in the swirls of red and orange hues of the Flamewind. There was a saying that the different colors seemed to set off different emotional reactions to those who traveled during the Flamewind, even droids. To a degree, Danger could argue for and against it. Then again, the streams of radiation had begun their wavelengths in an ample amount of canary yellows, citrines, and cobalt blues right about the time Alric Kuhn had arrived days ago.

Needless to say, her emotions were stirred up enough that she didn't need the added token emotional shift from the Flamewind to swing her to and fro.

"Quite a sight, no?" she'd ask, a faint smile still lingering on her lips. "The entire station is basically a series of observation decks, glassteel a plenty to keep the radiation out of mind but the view as pretty as picture. " the actual construction and obtaining the materials for this shipyard took some time. Everything had to be custom made; safety as well as aesthetics primary concerns.

Danger would swivel her head towards the younger woman, her warm expression still lingering, "Famished? Reckon I can get us something to sate your belly and wet your whistle while we catch up."

Every the hostess that Danger; but the one offering was a far more informal and lacking the intention of corporate sway. It was simply Danger genuinely happy to have Selka around to talk to.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

"I'd like that. I figured you'd arrange for something -- that's your way -- so I haven't eaten since Junkfort Station." Selka's eyes stayed on the Flamewind. "You know, there's a story, an old one, from the founding days of Silk. They say Jorus Merrill and a certain Lord Protector went to the Graveyard of Dragons, and found an old blind Duinuogwuin the size of a capital ship, just waiting to die. The dragon and Merrill had a long talk, and they wound up going for one last flight together, Merrill in a space suit riding through hyperspace on the dragon's back. That's the story, anyway. Seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

"And, so the story goes, they came here. Merrill had offered to let the dragon use his eyes, some kind of Force connection. They came right out here and watched the Flamewind through the same set of eyes, and then the dragon just vanished into the Force, leaving Merrill floating there until Potteiger arrived in the Gypsymoth. That's how the story's told, anyway. I don't doubt it's exaggerated as feth. But here I am looking at the Flamewind and I can't help but think...man, that's something a blind old star dragon might want to have as his last sight ever."

[member="Selka Ventus"]

An incline of her head came at that, her attention still fixated upon the beatific scene before them, the shift of the radioactive waves sending the near kaleidoscopic images seemingly floating before their eyes.

"A view that more will now be able to appreciate," Danger would say quietly, appreciatively. The Four Hundred year darkness had cut off the Centrality and the nearby sectors from the rest of the 'Verse. With the expansion of trade routes and the increase in the economy, the ability to once again reconnect one of the Wonders of the Galaxy was more of a heartfelt goal than that of a profitable one.

"A picture paints a thousand words, no?" she'd add, smiling as she'd swivel her head over to Selka. Offering a welcoming gesture, the woman would beckon the mocha skinned female to follow her.

"Well now, you've been a busy Spark bee, mmm?" she'd start, flashing a mild amused expression with certain knowing dancing behind her green eyes. She had to press onto the positive, to catch up on what Selka had been doing. Word down the Mara said she'd been dabbling in a new company, and she was curious to hear it from the Queen Bee herself.

They'd start to mosey on along, Danger leading Selka deeper into the the space station while discussing what Selka had been on about.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"Not to mention the benefits of controlling the only safe route to Tund -- worthless place, but everyone's interested."

[member="Danger Arceneau"] tended to measure her words, except when someone irked her; Selka, for all her secrets, talked more.

"That's me," she agreed with an easy grin, ambling along with Danger. "I've cashed out. Resigned my seat on the Silk board, sold my shares, finished the interim CEO job for Akure, sold my stock there too. Between my own funds and a loan I picked up cheap through Tion, I've invested in a Selkath startup on Ahto City. It started as something that translates loosely to 'Glory to the Progenitor Mechanical Brain Implants', believe it or not. Quality people, though, and very innovative modular neural tech with a sideline in prosthetics. I've picked up a controlling interest, and I'm the one running advertising and Corporate Sector expansion. Re-branded to iBorg. iBorg Prosthetic Augments." This didn't feel like a sales pitch; it felt more comfortable than that.

"While I was looking over their acquisitions, I found something...very useful. It's a refinement of the Attanni -- the implant that the Aruzans use to share their innermost thoughts and experiences with life partners. The Attanni has been refined over hundreds of years, of course...but what my Selkath associates did is made it modular. Plug-and-play. Compatible with our whole range of neural implants, from the obvious to the minimal and discreet. The moment I saw that, I thought of the Companions."

[member="Selka Ventus"] certainly had Danger's interest piqued. There was something about the young woman; certainly an attribute that had changed since she had first met her years ago. She was coming to her own; developing and maturing into the young woman she now was. Free and through her own willpower -- at least, from what Danger could determine. She had no inkling of what Velok or Je'gan may have done to influence her; her only concern was that Selka was able to stand on her own two feet to come to her own choices in life.

By all appearances, Selka certainly had and it was bearing fruit.

There was a slight bit of envy at how easily Selka was able to be a bit more free and seemingly without reservations. It was refreshing. Maybe at her age, Danger was just being more appreciative at the attributes she had considered in the past to be an unnecessary weakness. Then again, a life's experiences had a tendency to color one's lenses.

Danger's were just lacking the rose tint she lost a long while ago.

"The Attanni?" she would slow her amble, mulling that over, a bit surprised at that. And for the Companions? "... Go on." she would encourage the woman to continue to elaborate further. The hiss of a door would open to reveal a large atrium, where Salacia Consolidated's growing platform in green power and reusable materials would shine. Aquaphonics and Hydroponics were a venue that Arceneau Trade wanted to encourage within it's trade stations. Collaboration with [member="Judah Dashiell"] was the first step of many. Up coming was a new material similar to glassteel with the same strength that would not only serve as a solar panel, but be able to transition from clear to tinted based on specific electronic charges.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

Selka reached into the pocket of her coat and came up with two little chips in a clear case. "Here it is -- the Attanni. Originally, it was hardwired between two people, but it was simple enough to make it omnicompatible with any other Attanni." She brushed back her hair behind her left ear, revealing a small socket.

"This is a Spark -- a low-profile, sensor-masked neural implant compatible with any of our Aurek or Zerek Node modules -- and we've packaged the Attanni as a Zerek Node. With a Spark and the right Node, you can, oh...turn off your own pain receptors, walk through deflector shields unharmed, gain motion and lifesigns detectors while going invisible to lifescan and IR...or just plug in an Attanni. I've brought a few demonstration rigs, headsets that'll let your people -- and their friends -- plug in and connect with Attanni without implantation surgery. We're selling them by the bushel in the Corporate Sector." It was coming out, she realized, more as a matter of enthusiasm than as a sales pitch. In pure sales, she'd have come at it another way -- but only Danger was getting to see that for once Selka actually cared.

[member="Selka Ventus"] certainly was glowing. That Danger could plainly see.

There was conviction there. An excitement and true belief in her product; in the rush of what she was doing. The difference it made. It would soften the smile upon Danger's face and she felt a measure of pride in that.

This was good. Real good; and Selka's level of enthusiasm was enough to make her a believer. There was also merit to the Attanni. Especially if there wasn't any implantation surgery.

"You said you brought some demonstration rigs?" she'd echo, piqued curiosity reflecting upon the woman. They'd make their way through the atrium, the subtle sound of water from a nearby fountain tickling their ears. Up ahead was one of the smaller rooms set aside for their use; inside glow stones that would reflect and mimic natural light would cast down upon another green wall of verdant flora.

There, much like Danger had promised, would be a table set aside with light finger foods gathered from the station hydroponic gardens. Fresh tea and water would be poured for Selka if she so wished, or a far more stronger brew should she have a mind for it.

"Hmm... tell me about security measures." she'd ask, gesturing for the woman to please make herself comfortable.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

"Attanni Nodes can only connect with other Attanni Nodes, and they're heavily firewalled. Connections have to be fully consensual on both sides if they're going to function. These can't be used for interrogation, for example." She took a seat beside Danger, grinning, and poured herself a cup of tea.

"...though passive...intelligence sharing...is certainly an option. More importantly, and this isn't advertised, we can provide the Companions with self-limited Attanni that will let them share their customers' deepest selves while still concealing what they want to conceal about themselves. While projecting the feeling that they're fully open. A little duplicitous," she added with a shrug, sipping tea, "but I know your Companions have excellent situational judgment. And yes, this can all be done with headsets rather than implants."

The more [member="Selka Ventus"]'s would elaborate on the wonders, security, and the ability of the Attanni Nodes, the more her smile grew. Oh the product certainly sold itself, but it was the sheer energy and belief that Selka brought to the table with it.

Sliding and sitting back into her seat, she too poured herself some summer iced tea, the small green mint leaves swirling around her glass, condensation starting to form along its side.

Wonder would prompt a measure of internal musing. At just what this would mean.

"Color me intrigued," she'd finally state, taking a sweetmeat from one of the platters and popping it into her mouth. She would chew slowly, considering.

"I'd give the option to the Guildhouse on what medium they'd like to take," and with that Selka would have the assurance that Danger would invest in the Attanni Nodes.

"... would any of the information shared be stored?" oh now they were getting in deep. With the Companions all around the 'verse, that meant that what manner of high executives or what have you could potentially share their deepest darkest secrets... and that the Guildhouse could very well have a storage method of retaining that.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler

"The whole thing is a module that interfaces through a neural implant or wearable neural rig...and one of those is definitely capable of linking with recording gear. Again, not something we publicize as such. The product is about freedom on one hand and responsibility on the other." Selka spread her hands, feeling a little embarrassed that she'd carried on so. Not that Danger appeared annoyed or inconvenienced; if there was one thing Danger liked more than small talk, it was an opportunity of mutual advantage. Selka enjoyed being liked as a person, but she enjoyed being considered valuable in her own right as well.

"So that's the Attanni, at least as we make it. But I don't mean to monopolize your time." She grinned and leaned back, sipping the tea. "Between creation and running all over the galaxy, I don't really get time for society. Pity I can't download better social graces like I can athletics."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom