Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech AT-720 Razorback Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
bernelli_720_razorback_by_steamtank-d6tq0t6.jpg
Image Credit: SteamTank
Intent: To provide the free market and any military forces with an incredibly powerful and versatile semi-automatic combat shotgun platform, with some of ArmTech's famed magnetic acceleration technology incorporated into it.
Development Thread:
Manufacturer: ArmTech
Model: AT-720
Affiliation: Mandalorians, Free Market
Modularity: A folding stock can be used instead of the fixed one and there are several accessory rails to fit scopes, flashlights, lasers or any underbarrel or overbarrel attachment.
Can use either a 10round double-stack magazine or a 20 round drum magazine
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Magnetic compounds in the coils, Carbon-Titanium exterior, Tempered Durasteel barrel.
Description: The AT-720 Razorback is a new type of shotgun designed by ArmTech Systems Incorporated to fill in on some of the shotguns combat disadvantages and in general make a shotgun platform which was more versatile than ever.

The shotgun is equipped with a durasteel barrel with several highly magnetic coils on the inside of it, the reason for this is that this weapon fires like any other shotgun, only that the coils on the outside of the barrel to accelerate the ferromagnetic pellets/slug which had been fired, this gives the pellets much more velocity and as such, more killing power and range, this was made to be able to take out armored soldiers with the increased velocity in the pellets.

The coils are powered with a simple power cell the size of a modern 9-volt battery located inside the pistol grip of the shotgun, which must be replaced after 15 shots with the coils activated.

The magazine is very easy to operate as it is simply inserted into the slot on the bottom of the shotgun as this shotgun possesses an external magazine instead of the common tube magazine seen in most shotguns.

Recoil is manageable, the coils also heat up a lot under sustained fire so carrying some form of cool liquid to splash down a special hole under a flap located at the top of the shotgun to cool them is advisable or to leave them cool down for about 6 seconds every 20-30 rounds.

The magnetic shells function on a two stage mechanism, with a ferromagnetic container on the inside of the shell housing the pellets being shot out of the gun before it separates, releasing the pellets as they continue onwards to hit their target.

Classification: Shotgun/Coilgun
Size: Handheld
Length: 90cm
Weight: 4kg
Ammunition Type: Power Cell to fuel the coils, Specialized ferromagnetic cartridges (similar in appearance and caliber to a 12 gauge)
Ammunition Capacity: 10 round double-stack / 20 round drum
Effective Range: Varies depending on shell used.
Buckshot: 91m/180m with coils
Slugs/explosive rounds: 1km/1.6km with coils

Some questions.

1. Reduce the number of shots provided in the power pack. Gauss weapons consume a tremendous amount of energy. I'd say 15 at most from such a small power pack.

2. Which is this? A coil gun or rail gun? Both are mentioned in the submission. They operate in completely different principles.

3. I'm not sure if this would work the way you're envisioning. There's going to be a lot of wear and tear in the barrel, thus damaging the rails (or coils). Additionally, if this system is using rail technology, well, the individual pellets wouldn't be capable of being accelerated by the rails. So that needs some clarification, about the type of technology used. Plus, the way coil guns work doers not lend them to a "shotgun effect" unless two-stage ammunition is used. The scatter effect would be limited to the width of the barrel.

4. I don't think standard shotgun rounds would work. You'd need ammo that was ferromagnetic, so something with some iron in it. That shouldn't be too big of an issue, though, just an edit to the submission.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. Tag me in your reply. Thanks! :)

Thanks for the help. :)

1. I edited this.

2. It's supposed to use coil technology. If this is actually impossible then I'll simply edit it to rail technology.

3: I added a two-stage ammunition to stop the coils from being damaged. I always assumed the coils were around the barrel, however. I could also edit this.

4: Done.

[member="Asemir Lor'kora"]

Changes look good, but to go back to my Point 3. The coils are mounted in the inside, or at least not impeded by ferrous metal. Otherwise, the magnetic field would accelerate the barrel itself, which is not what you want to do. :)

So, I'm not sure if you can actually use regular shells that utilize chemical reactions to propel the rounds. I'm afraid it'll severely damage the coil and barrel because the barrels aren't as hardy.

Id feel better about this if it were just a standard Gauss shotgun without the capacity of firing standard rounds. Like, you'd have to fire with the coils activated.

Your thoughts?

The second paragraph of the description still needs to be revised because it still refers to the original two-types of firing mechanism:

The shotgun is equipped with a durasteel barrel with several highly magnetic coils on the outside of it, the reason for this is that this weapon fires like any other shotgun, only that with a simple switch, the wielder can activate the coils on the outside of the barrel to accelerate the ferromagnetic pellets/slug which had been fired, this gives the pellets much more velocity and as such, more killing power and range, this was made to be able to take out armored soldiers with the increased velocity in the pellets.
[member="Gabriel Audemars"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom