Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Armament Frequency Modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATIONPRODUCTION INFORMATIONSPECIAL FEATURES
  • The AFM is designed to leech energy from a single target ship's shields. The shield leeching can be a significant portion of the shield's overall integrity, and it is typically more effective as the target ship is below the AFM's host class, and typically less effective if the target is greater than size of the AFM host ship. The energy siphoned by the AFM allows for the equipped ship's reactor to lower its load powering the ship's weapons and shields, thus not directly enhancing the ship's performance at all. While such could be done, the risk of overheating critical ship systems is typically not worth the harm in a firefight.
Strengths:
  • The use of the Armament Frequency Modulator can render a significantly smaller ship much more threatening to a larger ship by allowing it to more rapidly deplete their shields.
Weaknesses:
  • The AFM is typically unable to enhance the capabilities of the ship fitted with the system.
DESCRIPTION

Research into the vulnerability of shield design led to the development of the prototype Armament Frequency Modulator. Fitted on a modified Rampart-class Assailant Monitor known as the Lancet, the AFM was successfully tested against Invictus Star Destroyer hulks, serving as a proof of concept for the design. Lancet would later be passed off to the Krath and ICO for use against threats to the core systems, while work on creating a production variant of the AFM would continue on board the Nathema Orbital Complex. Eventually, work would pay off and the AFM would be manufactured in a more easily produced state, allowing for certain ships in the DCMM inventory to use them. Saturn, a prototype Pluton-class battleship, was fitted with the technology and effectively destroyed the Commenori flagship. Multiple Saturn-type battleships based off of the prototype were used to force the Silver Jedi Order dreadnaught Hyperion Ascendant and accompanying fleets to retreat from Corellia, albeit at significant loss.

Arlen Rossi

A
I noticed that the RPJ looking over this didn't actually approve the lancet, but it seems to have slipped through the cracks during the wave mass approvals when the Factory was still shut down. At the time of the shutdown, there were some important questions revolving around the balancing of the parent sub and if the mechanics of this item were supported by lore. While we are now on an auto approval system, there were still lingering questions, so I feel like this should all get squared away before this tech is used.

That said I think the lore supports this tech with an item like the ssi-ruuvi paddle beamer, which works on a similar principle.

Now here are my own concerns:

Five seconds seems to be way too short of a windup time for such a powerful system, especially at limited production. I feel like a minute or more would be more appropriate.

How does this system fare against exotic shielding like molecular shields, or multi-layered shielding where someone could adjust the frequencies of each shield layer individually?

[member="Gir Quee"] [member="Vanessa Vantai"]

In Umbris Potestas Est
Five seconds is more than enough time for an enemy ship to unleash enough firepower to harm the ship while its anticapital firepower is disabled. As for the exotic shielding - given molecular shields straight up absorb energy and wouldn't operate on a frequency-based system, they would not affect anything. With regards to multi-layered shielding, adjusting the frequencies of each layer would likely dampen some of the damage caused to the ship.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"] - So, what I'm getting from this is while the damage is dampened - it still fundamentally ignores shields... despite the multiple barriers operating on different frequencies?

In Umbris Potestas Est
There's some degree of bleed through, though whether it is acceptable for said bleed through to be stopped by other layers of the shield or whether some bleeds through to the hull is for the judge to clarify. I haven't encountered any multi-layer shields on enemy ships and thus have no experience with such - no mention of them in canon, at least.

That said, there are multiple ways to effectively render this piece of technology useless, either through use of preexisting technology or through the creation of a submission to directly or indirectly combat this piece of technology.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"] - With the new stance on the Factory, it's no longer up to the judges to clarify a submission. This is just a suggestion, but you may wish to flesh out the submission yourself; as there's a possibility that it could be reported and dealt with in a way that may not fit your original idea.

Arlen Rossi

A
Vanessa Vantai said:
Five seconds is more than enough time for an enemy ship to unleash enough firepower to harm the ship while its anticapital firepower is disabled.
Assuming that the attacking ship has any kind of shielding and armor then I doubt it's going to go down in five seconds or even suffer serious damage in most case. It could still have strike craft to make up for the lack of capital guns. (Actually, this is a really nice way for a carrier-class to effectively get a boost in firepower without sacrificing stats.) That's a small price to pay when you basically get a free shot with whatever you've paired this system with, like one of your S-Beams.

This is just one ship, which is already problematic. Now multiple ships have this ability and can stack on one target like say...a dreadnought.

Vanessa Vantai said:
As for the exotic shielding - given molecular shields straight up absorb energy and wouldn't operate on a frequency-based system, they would not affect anything.

Thanks. I just wanted confirmation.

Vanessa Vantai said:
I haven't encountered any multi-layer shields on enemy ships and thus have no experience with such - no mention of them in canon, at least.

There's mention of multilayered shielding directly in the starship template under defenses. Multiple submissions possess them. In canon, Mon Cala ships were famous for their heavy multilayered shielding schemes.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"]

[member="Vanessa Vantai"], recent events with the Battle of Corellia have brought this submission back for review again.

This has two issues going on with it that have made it problematic:

1) Gameplay balance
2) Fitting in with canon lore

1) In terms of gameplay, the ability to pair this with extremely powerful weapons or hundreds of other weapons of a variety of natures causes massive balance problems, as it essentially negates most ship's primary defense (shields). For this effect to be achieved from a balance perspective, there needs to be equal give and take, or in other words, a serious and immediately exploitable weakness to using this tech. This should be something that the average, vanilla opponent can exploit without having to use specialized technology of their own. As an example of this, I might suggest an inability of the using ship to use their own shield systems while this system is active, but that's just one idea.

As an alternative, it may be easier to turn this into something of anti-shield weapon, which is especially effective at reducing the effectiveness of shield systems, making enemy shields weaker, but not allowing them to be fully bypassed. This already vaguely exists in canon, with things like the shield disruptor, which appear to be an ion weapon of some sort.

2) We discussed this with the Lancet sub, but I don't see a strong canon basis for this technology existing. This seems like it'd fit well in Star Trek, but I do not know of any instances in which canon weapons are 'modulated' to ignore shielding. The closest thing I can think of to that is a single instance in Solo Command where Lara Notsil jury-rigs a laser cannon to also act as a communication device that literally transmits data to objects that it hits. This is a bit different though then ignoring shielding.

From a canon lore perspective, I really think that this might best work as an explicit weapon of its own (like the shield disruptor already mentioned), rather than a system that can be used to vastly and directly augment existing weapon systems.

In Umbris Potestas Est
1: As applied in naval conflicts, ships using the armament frequency modulator have not had an excessive benefit over their standard compatriots. In its first initial use, the Saturn destroyed the Commenori flagship and knocked out the main weapon of the Mandalorian dreadnaught, but suffered exceptional damage and was forced to withdraw from the field of battle, being put into drydock for IC months after the engagement. The four Saturn-type battleships that formed the experimental task force were able to significantly damage the 6th SJO Fleet, but the only lasting casualties were multiple corvettes and smaller ships. As it currently stands, despite the issue in Errreembuhr's post that was reported and ultimately led to you re-reviewing this submission, his fleet, in concert with Rhane's, have successfully destroyed one of the Saturns and will likely force the remainder to retreat within 1-2 posting rounds. The other Saturns that are preparing to engage the SJO's fleet and the Hyperion Ascendant are, per my own statements, incapable of affecting its molecular shielding with the AFM and will thus likely be significantly damaged if not mostly destroyed during the engagement. There are multiple ways to respond to this even without having specialized technology(for example, telling your ship computer to alter the frequency of your shields every second, thus preventing any form of modulation from occurring).

With regards to IC, I have regularly skipped a posting round of causing damage with any ship using an AFM if it was modulating to the frequency of a target. This has allowed my opposition to, in proper fleet battles, cause damage to ships using them. It was at least in part responsible for the destruction of the Saturn-type Errreembuhr destroyed, and will be responsible for the other Saturns and the rest of the experimental task force retreating from the field of battle. I have attempted to use the AFM responsibly in my fleet engagements with the Commenori and the NR/SJO/allied fleeters and have not received a direct complaint regarding usage of the technology in any threads I have participated in with them.

With regards to the latter, I again mention that the Anti-ray shield energy weapon was stated explicitly to use a 'frequency' in order to penetrate shields, from which can be inferred that a frequency exists that an energy weapon can be modulated to or otherwise given in order to penetrate shields - the principle which this technology is based on. From a base scientific platform, an amount of energy(eg. the field) has a frequency defined as the quanta of energy within the field divided by the Planck constant. While I may not have described in detail the method by which the device modulates the energy frequency of said energy weapons to that of the shield, modulation of the energy frequency of the weapons to that of the shield should allow penetration as the frequencies of the two do not conflict.

As is, I'm sure it doesn't mean much regard, but I doubt that Tefka would have approved the submission when he did so(and the Lancet as well) if he believed the technology within it was in fact overpowered, game-breaking, or did not fit within what he believes is an acceptable method of functioning for submissions on Chaos to have.

[member="Gir Quee"]

You appear to be championing to keep the AFM as it currently stands. This is not an option that's on the table. If it does not change, I will simply deny this submission.

Vanessa Vantai said:
As is, I'm sure it doesn't mean much regard, but I doubt that Tefka would have approved the submission when he did so(and the Lancet as well) if he believed the technology within it was in fact overpowered, game-breaking, or did not fit within what he believes is an acceptable method of functioning for submissions on Chaos to have.

Approval in the current Factory iteration (as was when Tefka approved these submissions) is not a stamp of approval for balance purposes.

Please let me know when you have made changes or would like to discuss possible options to move forward.

In Umbris Potestas Est
[member="Gir Quee"]

Well, what options can we discuss? As it stands, I have modified the sub to clarify that any use of the sub requires a single posting round to allow for modulation. I could up that to two posting rounds if need be.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"], that doesn't seem to me to address the two concerns I have brought up (Is it based in Star Wars lore, is it balanced?). The core concept of this 'modulating' different weapon systems with a single piece of technology needs to change, as there is no substantial canon basis for typical weapons to be modulated. If you want to turn this into a single weapon that can go through shields (like the aforementioned theoretical anti-ray shield energy weapon or a solar ionization cannon) or into a weapon that weaken shields to better improve the odds of a weapon penetrating through a shield, those ideas would be fine.

More importantly, the gameplay balance of this is perhaps a larger issue. This is a pretty big advanage on the battlefield, I really do not see any way of this ignoring shielding without a commensurate sacrifice(s) being made onto the using ship as being balanced. A recharge/modulation time doesn't cut it here.

In Umbris Potestas Est
The AFM is designed as a technological system intended to be put on a starship. To convert it into a single weapon of any type would render all prior use of this sub invalid and would render any sub using this effectively useless. I can’t turn it into a single weapon. As is, from a purely scientific perspective, this system is capable of working.

Regarding balance - what if it drained the shields of a ship to function, similar to the “enhance weapon power” system used on some Imperial ships in Empire at War? That would effectively equalize things since if the system was active, the ship using said system would eventually have no shields and would get its hull pounded the same as it was doing to an opposing ship.

As is, I know that both the current admin handling fleet affairs in the SJO and the head of the NR - the factions I used the AFM against during the Corellia skirmish - are already working on plans to render the AFM as it currently exists useless in future(as in the next) fleet engagements. From my talk with [member="John Locke"], at least his intent doesn’t require a new piece of technology added to subs to counter them. Them creating strategies to oppose this was exactly what I was hoping they would do, as it is the natural response in warfare.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Regarding balance - what if it drained the shields of a ship to function, similar to the “enhance weapon power” system used on some Imperial ships in Empire at War? That would effectively equalize things since if the system was active, the ship using said system would eventually have no shields and would get its hull pounded the same as it was doing to an opposing ship.
If you want to make this a shield leech weapon, that's perfectly acceptable in concept.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"], I'm going to start addressing some points you've made to me via Discord. I'm putting all here for transparency's sake, and I'd like to see your future responses placed here in the thread as well.

Vanessa Vantai said:
As you've explained to me via Discord now (since the AFM using ship's shields are being drained), this is still a pretty big balance issue. Even if the AFM-utilizing ship's shields are being drained, the other ship doesn't have shields. Assuming a one-on-one situation, by the time the AFM-utilizing ship doesn't eventually have shields, the other ship may not even exist any more, or if it does, it's going to be severely damaged, meaning that it's not likely to be able to take advantage of that situation at all.

Vanessa Vantai said:
As is, I know that both the current admin handling fleet affairs in the SJO and the head of the NR - the factions I used the AFM against during the Corellia skirmish - are already working on plans to render the AFM as it currently exists useless in future(as in the next) fleet engagements. From my talk with John Locke, at least his intent doesn’t require a new piece of technology added to subs to counter them. Them creating strategies to oppose this was exactly what I was hoping they would do, as it is the natural response in warfare.
I don't see this as relevant to the balance of the sub. While it is indeed possible to make tech or utilize some existing tech to counter the AFM, and while some degree of an arms race is expected, this is such a massive shift of the balance of power for existing subs that it's a problem for the average RPer.

As to your claim that you can only run this as a technological system, not a new weapon, I'm not sold on that. However, there are still ways to make this a system that makes a ship more likely to pierce a ship's shield and still retain balance. Maybe it analyzes shield energy outputs to find out where weapons have a better chance of penetrating a ship's shielding, much like the use DERs on Torpedo Spheres.

Let us be clear though, the existing concept of allowing other weapons to simply bypass a ship's shielding is not going to be approvable. If you persist on that course, I will deny this.

[member="Vanessa Vantai"], it's been nearly a week since my last comment here. What is the status of this?

If I don't get a response within two days here, I'm going to deny this, as it shouldn't be used in its current form.

Thank you for the edits, this concept is going to be much easier for the community at large to work with.

Vanessa Vantai said:
The AFM leeches energy from a single target ship's shields. The shield leeching is approximately 20% of the shield's overall integrity per posting round plus 5% per class the target is below the ship and minus 5% per class the target is above the ship, to a minimum of 1%. The energy syphoned allows for the equipped ship's reactor to lower its load powering the ship's weapons and shields, thus not directly enhancing the ship's performance at all.

If you'll make this more of a suggestion of typical damage, rather than absolute performance please. As always, there should be room for the defender to write how much damage they're going to take from this device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom