Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARGH- Words_Of_Power Audio Slicing Protocols

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
Image Source: N/A
Intent: To provide a new slicing method for both droid and organic characters alike
Development Thread: If necessary
Manufacturer: Abregado-Rae Guild of Hammers, Firemane
Model: Words_Of_Power.exe, Aural_Antimagic.exe
Affiliation: ARGH, Firemane, Galactic Alliance
Modularity: You can change the shortcut icon, it could installed into datapads, comlinks, or droids.
Production: Limited (It could be replicated numerous time but distribution of the protocols is very restricted)
Material: Code

Strengths:
  • Verbal Slicing- The slicing is done by transmitting data packets through sound, much like the sound of keypad does, meaning the user could have their hands free while conducting the slicing action. This also mean that a single command can affect multiple devices at the same time, depending if they are close enough to register the sound and receive the data.
  • Fast acting- because of the efficient slicing protocols and small data packets the slicing does not take long, less than a second before the command is processed and put into action
  • Old tech- because slicing like that hasn't been conducted since the early days of primitive holonet, many firewalls and anti-slicing protocols do not include protection against it, making a lot of droids and devices vulnerable to it.
Weaknesses:
  • Noise- because the protocols require one to make noise, "speak" the command, it's not as subtle as conventional slicing, those who know what these commands sound like would be able to tell when it is conducted. This also poses a problem, when one finds themselves unable to speak, or in environment where sound cannot travel, the slicing cannot be conducted. Just the same devices that do not have any audioreceptors cannot be sliced, as they cannot receive data through sound.
  • Short range- because the commands need to be spoken the slicing has a relatively short range, the user needs to be in the same room as the device they want to slice for it to be affected, as opposed to regular slicing where one can be anywhere as long as they are connected to the network.
  • Easy Firewall- protecting against these slicing protocols is as simple as installing security against data-packets traveling through sound, of course this still leaves devices that require audio input, such as voice recognition, vulnerable to this sort of slicing.
  • Simple commands- due to the restricted data size transfer by the archaic means, only simple commands can be issued by the slicing process, for example one could tell a droid to deactivate or stop all their actions, but not to follow a specific patrol route. They could tell them to target all organics or all machines, but not units belonging to a specific faction.

Description:

Based on old audio data transfer tech, this communications protocol utilizes sound to transfer and run slicing commands, after all what is speech if not transfer of information and data? Because of the small data size transferred this way not many systems are prepared against a slicing attempt through such means, yet at the same time many systems have some sort of built-in audio receptors, making them open to audio data transfer. When slicing through this process one needs to use a specific pattern of pitch and tone to form "Words" that transfer data and commands, with each Word forming a single command, for example "Stop" or "Go forward" or "Shoot organics", however telling a machine whether to target a broad group or not is as complex as a single command transferred by this process can get. When using these protocols Words can be potentially strung together into sentences, chains of commands, if one has the time to speak them, however the commands in the sentence need to be executed at the same time, for example, one could command with these protocols for machine to "Go to the bridge-shoot organics" but not "Go to the bridge-shoot organics-then go to the hangar-shoot the machines". Those who would hear these "Words of Power' spoken would hear a strange sound, some eldritch bastard child of the astromech whirring and beeping language, melodic sounds of a keypad, and some forgotten ethereal speech, a sound one would not forget easily and quickly recognize when heard again.

The advantages of this system, outside of not being common in the Galaxy anymore, is the speed and efficiency of how its commands are transferred, almost as soon as the command is spoken, it is executed in its target if the slicing process goes through correctly. A single command can also affect multiple machines at the same time, if are close enough to hear the words, register them, and therefore have the data transferred into their processes.

The disadvantages on the other hand, are its fairly limited range, if the machine is too far to register the sound of the command then the data will not transfer properly and slicing won't go through, of course this depends on how loud the words are spoken and how sensitive the audio receptors of the target is, machines with more sensitive hearing can be affected by commands spoken softer and at longer range. However, the commands will not work if transferred through other machines, for example by speaking a command through a speaker or intercom, as the data is absorbed by the speaker itself, therefore the commands need to be spoken in person, or made by the device that has these protocols installed on, to activate. Protecting against them is rather easy as along with the protocols the Gados engineers also included firewall designed specifically for them, the Aural_Antimagic.exe, devices with this program installed are immune to the Words_Of_Power unless Antimagic would be disabled through the normal slicing means. Of course devices and droids programmed to not receive any data through sound, and therefore not hear anything, would also be immune to these protocols, just like devices who do not have any audio receptors to sense sound in the first place. However, if a slicer or a droid is intelligent enough, it would not be too difficult to create a programming similar to Aural_Antimagic.exe that isolates these slicing data packets and blocks them. The protocols are also far from being stealthy as one can hear when the slicing is going on.

Primary Source: The sound of dial-up modem

<p>RESEARCH REVIEW<br />-----<br />Star Wars Canon:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />Starwars Chaos:<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITHOUT DEV THREADS<br />Pending initial review<br />------<br />WITH DEV THREADS<br />Pending Initial review<br />------<br />SUGGESTIONS<br />Pending Inital review</p>

[member="HK-36"]

This submission relies on some fairly large assumptions about a wide variety of other people's products, which may involve a similarly wide variety of ambiguously relevant protocols, security gear, agency, or programming languages. It's a one-size-fits-most skeleton key. As a rule, that sort of thing doesn't often fly, regardless of dev.

That's over and above the rampant abuse potential of being able to yell at someone else's droid army until they kill every organic in sight, or simply stop firing. Perhaps I'm misunderstand how this could be used, but I don't think I am.

I don't see any way this submission could work without providing a list of vulnerable products/manufacturers and some very solid canon research to back up the assumptions here. If such canon sources exist, they're not coming to mind. Frankly, considering how many droids transfer data primarily with compressed sound, I'd imagine most or all droids have some resistance against this sort of thing. In most canon I've seen, controlling a droid requires either a lot of prep work or a physical contact.

Over and above all that, I'm not sure I see a way to address my other concerns about potential for abuse.

This is a cool sub, and if you can turn it into something much different, I wish you luck with it. Unfortunately, I don't see any option but to deny it on concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom