Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARGH- Magnetic Bolas

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
Magna_bolas.jpg

Image Source: Wookiee article on energy bolas, links here
Intent: To update canon bolas and provide another gadget for bounty hunter characters
Development Thread: In progress, Glory To The Hunter
Manufacturer: Abregado-Rae Guild of Hammers, Firemane
Model: Abregado Magnetic Graphite Bolas
Affiliation: ARGH, Firemane, Galactic Alliance, Open Market
Modularity: None
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel magnetic orbs (Similar to those found in bowcasters), Graphite cables (1 cm thick)
Classification: Bolas
Size: One handed
Length: .5 meters from the handle section to each magnetic orb
Weight: 2 kg
Special Features:
  • Lightsaber resistant- due to being made out of Graphite the cables used in these bolas have limited resistance to lightsabers, with high melting point, and very sturdy, these cables are hard to break through mundane means, they would cut through flesh sooner than be pulled apart, although blades made from materials like Phrik and Beskar can saw through them easily. Lightsabers can melt through these cables in 30 seconds, Phrik and Beskar blades can saw through them in 15-25 seconds depending on the speed and force.
  • Magnetic- the bolas utilize magnetic field from the orbs to first accelerate each other in perpetual push and then attract to each other when the bolas hit resistance, wrapping the cables tighter together
Strengths:
  • Lightsaber resistant- due to being made out of Graphite the cables used in these bolas have limited resistance lightsabers, with high melting point, and very sturdy, these cables are hard to break through mundane means, they would cut through flesh sooner than be pulled apart, although blades made from materials like Phrik and Beskar can saw through them, in 15-25 seconds or so, as well as prolonged contact with lightsaber can melt through them in 30 seconds at most.
  • Magnetic- the bolas utilize magnetic field from the orbs to first accelerate each other in perpetual push and then attract to each other when the bolas hit resistance, wrapping the cables tighter together, as a result they can fly faster and further than normal bolas, as well as wrap themselves around objects tighter.
  • Restraint- the bolas are very handy when in need to tie someone's hands or legs together, especially when made out of such strong materials, since it is their main purpose.
  • Weight- the durasteel orbs housing the magnetic systems add a hefty amount of weight to the bolas, making it easier to knock down targets or use the bolas as an improvised bashing weapon, although not really effective one, it's also possible to snap someone's neck due to weight, such usage of bolas has been noted in Galactic history before, by Ewoks during the Battle of Endor, however this depends on with how much force the bolas were thrown and how well protected the neck in question is.
  • Convenient storage- when not in use the cables retract back into the durasteel orbs, which then can be magnetically attached to an armor plate, or a magnetic holster, making storage and carrying this gadget fairly convenient.
Weaknesses:
  • Durasteel orbs- due to the graphite's lack of interaction with magnets the orbs had to be made from ferrous durasteel, meaning they are easier to break, especially with a lightsaber that just slices through them. When the orbs are destroyed, the cables can be untied easier as the magnetic forces are no longer keeping them unnaturally tight.
  • Electronic- due to electronic components within the magnetic orbs, the bolas are susceptible to EMP, electronic, or ionic strikes which can deactivate or damage its electromagnetic components.
  • Low damage- outside of being able to break an unprotected neck in some cases, the bolas have a rather low damage output, really only doing bashing damage noticeable in lightly armored foes.
  • Skill- it takes a degree of skill to throw these bolos accurately and with sufficient force to catch and wrap around the target, as such it's fairly common to miss with the throw.
  • Blocking- the bolos can be blocked relatively easily by meeting with a solid surface, such as a shield or even just a stick, before they'll hit and wrap around their target.
Description:

Based on ancient design of Magna Bolas, these Magnetic Graphite Bolas put together by the Gados utilize their patented electromagnetic technology. The magnetic systems are housed within each of the three orbs of the bolas, based on the design of magnetic orbs used in bowcaster construction the Gados were able to research in previous structures. This time around the orbs are an experiment in magnetic field switching, changing whether the orbs repel or attract each other based in what stage the gadget is in. When holstered the orbs are attracted to each other for storage and carrying convenience, when activated they repel each other as they are swung and then thrown, creating a perpetual magnetic repel field that helps the bolas accelerate towards their target faster than their mundane counterparts. Then once the bolas meet resistance, their fields switch into attraction mode once again to pull the orbs together, helping the tether wrap itself tightly around the target and to make it more difficult to be untied, just like in the original Magna Bolas. This advanced application of magnetic manipulation makes the bolas somewhat easier to throw, less force is necessary for them to acquire sufficient speed to wrap around the target properly because the magnets accelerate the weapon, which also increases the range at which these bolas can be effectively used, although it still isn't far, they can be accurately thrown somewhere at 10-20 meters depending on how much experience one has with them. Another updated feature of these bolas is the application of graphite cable as their tether material, making them especially difficult to escape from due to the cables' strength and limited resistance to being cut by lightsaber right away (See Strengths).

The advantage of these bolas, outside of the slight lightsaber (See Strengths) and magnetic application mentioned before, is the usefulness of restraining someone quickly and at distance. Because the graphite cables retract into the magnetic orbs when in rest state and the orbs pull themselves together due to magnetic attraction, the device takes up little space on the belt and it can be easily carried with most contemporary armor. As such one could arm themselves in it and throw it relatively easily and quickly, making this a perfect device to either surprise someone in combat or catch up to an escaping target. The magnetic orbs of the bolas have also some nice hefty weight behind them, at least enough to snap someone's neck with a good throw but not enough to be really useful as a bashing weapon in melee combat, at least they could do so if the neck in question is not properly protected, for example Ewoks were able to break Stormtrooper necks in such a fashion with their even more primitive bolas because the Stormtrooper armor required neck portion to be less protected to accommodate the joints and head movement.

The downsides, however, include the learning curve to overcome when learning how to throw this weapon accurately. It's very easy to overshot the target, especially when one is not used to the magnetic system accelerating in mid flight, or rely on this system too much and not throw the bolas with enough strength to reach their mark, or simply throw an inch in the wrong direction, causing the bolas to bounce off of the target instead of wrapping around it. Another downside is that, unlike the cables, the magnetic orbs are made out of durasteel, which means that a lightsaber, or other contemporary weapon like a blaster, can damage them easily and deactivate them, just the same they could be deactivated rather easily by ionic or emp strikes and even the graphite cable could be cut by using a Phrik or Beskar blade to saw through it, in 15-25 seconds, or a prolonged contact with a lightsaber, which takes about 30 seconds. Once the orbs are deactivated they would not be pulling on the tether to keep it tight, still the cable would not simply unravel, its victim would still have to untie their restraints, although now it would be a much simpler task than before.

Primary Source: Magna bolas

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="HK-36"]

I'm not seeing anything in the material sub or the TA-1 about a level of lightsaber-resistance such that sabres take minutes to saw through the filaments. This is an implausibly huge degree of lightsaber resistance for a slim cable to have. For a mass-produced zero-development sub based on a mass-produced zero-development sub based on a mass-produced zero-development sub, I think we've stretched the Echani Graphite concept about as far as it can go. After some consultations, here's what we dug up for Echani Graphite with comprehensive lightsabre resistance. I don't think, until this point, the Factory understood the scale of what people have been doing with Echani Graphite.

Echani Graphite - original sub, mass produced, no development, intended for curios/weapon hafts/etc.
Echani Graphite Cables - mass produced, no development
TA-1 - mass produced, no development, a curio
Graphite Reinforced Durasteel - minor production, no development
Graphite Mesh Reinforcement - minor production, no development
Citadel-class Defense Station - limited production, 28 posts dev, 1300m station
The Barsen'thor - unique 2800m station, 100+ posts
Paladin-class Star Destroyer - limited production, 1300m ship, 26 posts plus portions of a dominion
Khandar-class station - minor production 2850m station, no development
Mag'ladroth walker - minor production, significant development
Valora walker - mass production, a portion of a Dominion as development
Spears of Rae - minor production, 36 posts dev (focused on phrik)
Graphite Containers - mass production, no development
Batons of Ember - minor production, no development
Graphite Reed Armor - limited production, no development
Whips of Rae - minor production, no development
Flamer - minor production, no development
Leovi's Wings - mass production, no development
New Beginning - limited production, no development
Grappling Hook - mass production, no development
Replicator - limited production, no development
Masterwork Droid Vessel - unique, only development for phrik
Iron Legionnaire - mass production, no development
SP-2 - minor production, no development
RC-2 - minor production, dev re-used from walker
Herakles - mass production, no development
Ionization Buffers - mass production, dev re-used from walker
Mk. 3 Heavy Bolter - minor production, dev re-used from walker
Telescoping Stun Grenade Staff - mass production, 45 posts, third party
Lionheart Combat Frame - limited production, 32 posts, third party
Electro-flail - minor production, no development
Bobcaster - minor production, 40 posts
Graphite Bows - mass production, no development
SP-3 - mass production, 20 posts
SR-2 - mass production, re-uses SP-3 dev
Chainmail - minor production, 32 posts, re-uses SP-3 and SR-2 dev

That's 36 submissions, most of which have no development work behind them, and several of which bend the original substance's intent and limitations. Considering the massive strength and lightsabre resistance you're attributing to this substance in this particular submission, I'm considering this substance equivalent to a restricted material (as noted in the original sub). As such, here are your options:

• Semi-unique production: no development.
  • Limited production: 10 quality (~200 words) posts of development.
  • Minor production: 20 quality posts of development.
  • Mass production: 30 posts of development.

In all cases, please remove the mention of beskar blades and lightsabres needing minutes to saw through these cables. After referencing the original submission, my feeling is that you would get seconds of resistance at most.

Note that you can request a second chance/new judge at any time.

HK-36

[member="Jorus Merrill"],

Hey, thanks for your review,

I'll do a 20 post development to put it into Minor production,

I'll clarify in the sub that the cable thickness I envisioned for this is about 1 centimeter thick, with filaments twined together to form the cable, a form described in the graphite cable, does that affect its resistance in your opinion?

Changes marked in green text

[member="HK-36"]

A 1cm cable would have some good resistance, yeah, but I'm still not convinced it would hold against a lightsabre for minutes. I think you'll need to give a smaller time frame.

Just gimme a tag when the dev's done.

HK-36

[member="Jorus Merrill"],

I always have problem coming up with accurate approximations, especially when it comes to distance I had to look at a tape measure to see how much a centimeter was and I'm European, that's why I always conduct research while writing a sub, to make sure my numbers are right.

What about 45 seconds to 1 minute for lightsaber, 30 seconds for restricted material blades? The logic here is that physical blades cut through it faster because they can saw and use friction to their advantage, assuming containment field around lightsaber plasma blade is a frictionless surface

[member="HK-36"]

Use whatever number you like for the solid blades, but I'd prefer something around thirty seconds for a lightsabre. A sabre doesn't cut so much as melt, and no amount of heat conduction property is going to keep a sabre from melting its way through these cables in fairly short order. Consider Kar Vastor's ultrachrome bladeshields, which are sort of the gold standard of superconductive anti-sabre weapons -- melting shields like those took a lot less than a minute, with a vastly larger amount of material than these cables offer. Fair enough?

HK-36

[member="Darth Vitium"],

Working on the dev thread, I had to put it aside this week due to a fencing event and a humanitarian project for my classes which take precedence, but I found a group of bounty hunters to help me and try to get more activity into the Bounty Hunters Guild

[member="HK-36"]
I'm going to go ahead and move this to the archives, please send either myself or another Admin or RPJ a PM when you've completed the development thread(s) and are ready to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom