Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[ARGH] Liquid Graphene

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
Intent: To utilize Graphene, a real-life substance used by Abregado before in creation of their Echani Graphite, this time in liquid form for future projects.
Development Thread: None, based on the Echani Graphite submission where Graphene was first used in creation of 3D cylindrical structures.
Manufacturer: ARGH
Model: Graphene Oil Solution
Affiliation: ARGH, Firemane
Modularity: None
Production: Mass
Material: Pure carbon

Description: Wondrous Graphene is a two-dimensional material made purely from Carbon. Carbon atoms are arranged in a completely flat honeycomb lattice to form a structure of very low weight yet 100 times stronger than steel. Gados were able to make a three dimensional structure by taking the Graphene plane and twisting it into a cylindrical shape, making material that was described (by the Factory Judge who approved this material) to be equivalent of Phrik and Beskar, this material was named Echani Graphite, mocking the name of Mandalorian Iron. All attempts of creating a cube shape out of Graphene by combining its planes have failed, material completely losing its strength during such process when by spinning it into cylinders Graphene weakens only partially.

However as Abregado's projects advanced there was another purpose the Gados have turned towards Graphene for- friction. One of the upcoming projects was calling for substance which can totally eliminate friction, naturally the perfectly flat, perfectly polished surface of a Graphene 2-d plane was primary candidate for such effect. And so the Gados have worked their magic, they tweaked the Graphene's atomic structure slightly to cause it to stick to surfaces via electron bonds and a form of static electricity, which Graphene conducts especially well. Combining the substance then they were able to come up with Graphene in an oily, liquid form.

When applied to a solid surface the liquid disperses on its own, sticking to the surface and applying itself uniformly until a Graphene 2-d polished plane is achieved over the surface, making the surface perfectly free of friction and granting it Graphene's 100 times stronger than steel protection. However, this oil can be easily removed with water or some sort of other solvent, making it feasible only for temporary protection and in environments free of liquids. Its offensive capabilities involve really messing with one's digestive system should someone ingest it, that is why it's not recommended to ingest it, and it could potentially be used in grenades to create a frictionless surface on the floor and watch your enemies fall down, however delivery system for such still needs to be invented.

The catch is, Graphene really works only on already smooth surfaces, meaning not too many angles can be involved unless one has time to precisely apply it, which often is not worth the effort due to the oil's temporary effects. For example the oil would not work on a whole suit of armor but it would need to be applied to each armor segment or plate separately, it would work on metal floors or even sand dunes if the sand is dispersed in relatively smooth surface, but it would not work in grasslands or rocky terrain due to pebbles and vegetation making the surface uneven.

[member="HK-36"]
I'm not quite understanding how graphene can be made into a liquid, when graphene is a single layer of graphite that is perfectly flat and solid. Could you elaborate on this? Beyond that, could you elaborate on how the oil substance can create a layer of graphene? I am aware of how it is made and processed, I just believe this needs more detail. I recommend having a development thread started depending on the method for replicating graphene with an oil substance.

HK-36

[member="Silara Vantai"],

With a dose of science fiction as I'm not a professional chemist to explain it all in technical detail.

However, the way I envisioned this, the liquid goes through diffusion until smooth two dimensional surface is achieved and then solidifies through chemical bonds manipulation, for some reason I want to say "covalent bonds" but I'm probably mixing it up here.

So if a drop of this would be dropped into a glass cup it would flatten itself out and dispersed in diffusion until it made itself into a 2d solid plane.

Now if there is too much of this liquid for the surface it can climb and cling to the edges via something similar to water's capillary action but without requirement for narrow passages. So if we would put enough liquid in the same cup to fill the entire bottom of it any extra would start to climb the edges and diffuse until on all surfaces 2d solid plane would be achieved. As long as there's any extra liquid to cover the bottom 2d surface this Graphene would remain in its liquid form, changing only to solid form when a 2d plane is achieved.

However the liquid moves rather slow through its capillary action, so if we would take the previous cup metaphor and this time totally fill it with this liquid, it would eventually cover the outer surface of the glass, spill onto the desk, cover the desk, mousepad, as much as it can until all of it will be only one atom in thickness. Like mentioned in the submission this only works for more or less smooth surfaces, in more jagged or "complex" surfaces like field of pebbles or even some keyboards it gets "confused" taking so much time to diffuse over the surface it might just be considered to stay as a liquid.

Technically it's not an actual oil, I describe it as one because that's how I envision its texture and substance in liquid form, however water, and other solvents, is able to dissolve it, making this version of Graphene hydrophilic as opposed to hydrophobic oils, even when this Graphene is in solid form. I put this in here because it's not the Graphene's protection properties I'm after here and I would consider a permanent layer of substance described as "100 times stronger than steel" to be rather overpowered.

As to how Graphene is made into liquid form in the first place, I honestly do not know at this point, as I said before I am not a professional chemist and the best answer I can give you is application of artistic vision and the magic of fictional space-age chemistry.

Let me know what you think, I'll apply the edits once we reach a settlement satisfactory to both parties.

[member="HK-36"]
After some research I've found that graphite can be dispersed in a solution not unlike an oil (lubricant for tires, apparently). Regarding the ability to reform this into graphene, however, will require a minimal ten post development thread on your part to show trial and error - I'm not going to fuss over the logistics of this, as neither of us are professional chemists and I can see there being a method for this to be done but the ability to explain it escapes me.

HK-36

[member="Silara Vantai"],

Same can be said about the very canon composite lasers,

I'll try to get the development thread done tomorrow, depends how much time I'll have between the threads I'm already in and faction politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom