Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Apples and Trees

banner6.png

TAG: Veshok Rook Veshok Rook
GEAR: In Bio
enclavediv6.png

banner8.png

FAR AWAY

It had been a helluva week.

His mind had been trying very hard to untangle the mess of thoughts. So many questions that needed answers that he didn't have. Vren had been avoiding talking to his supposed son, unable to gather the strength to have that conversation. So, he had suffered under a barrage of thoughts and questions this week.

But he had to pony up at some point.

://: You trying to bore a hole through that wall with your eyes? ://: asked Nag.
They were both still in her hangar, Vren having balked before fully approaching the basilisk. He stared at the wall a minute longer before finally blinking and turning to face her.
"I have no idea what to say to him." he admitted quietly.
The droid looked at him in silence for a while.
://: Maybe just get to know him first. Like you would any newcomer. The rest will come naturally. ://: she finally said.
"You know how the meeting went." Vren said as he started to pace. "I grounded him and his crew. How do you start fresh from that?"
Nag lifted her head properly from where she was still in a collapsed position on the floor. ://: I have a feeling the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.. ://: she said.
"You have a feeling?" He stopped pacing to look at her in disbelief. "C'mon, Girl, really?"
://: I come pre-programmed with emotional receptors. Don't patronise me. ://: came her almost aloof reply. ://: Now get in before you join Tawnita in the Cold Feet Club. ://:
"Now that's just rude." Vren said, but a smirk pulled on his lips slightly as he got into her cockpit.
://: I saw that, Lawman. ://: she said as she got to her feet.

The landscape passed bright underneath as twilight fell while they flew. The Onderon contingency's ship wasn't exactly far, but it wasn't close either. But it did give Vren a chance to settle his nerves before reaching the destination. Nag touched down neatly next to the ship, bending down for Vren to get out.

Snow crunched beneath his boots as he got to the ground. He looked around the camp for a minute before catching sight of Veshok. He nodded at the man.

"Mind to have a word?"

Independence, Duty, Honour
A Violent Conversation
Talking with Jenn Kryze

In just a few days, the Mandalorians of the Dxun Eclipse seemed to have taken roots. While it would have been an exaggeration to claim that a settlement had started to spread around the ship, it sure could look like it. The battle circles were well established by this point and actual structures had been deployed for supplies, communications and other needs while tents stored weapons, speederbikes and contained temporary housing. Everyone had their place on the ship but more often than not, the young crew preferred the fresh air and solid ground under their feet.

Their leader, Veshok Rook, was just finishing up his part of a training segment focused beskad usage when Togran contacted him over the comms. During their stay on Kestri, the Drabatan had eagerly volunteered to stay on the bridge whilst the ship was idling. Whilst there, he had operated the main comms and sensors. Vesh nodded and took a few steps away from the kids before picking up - instead of looking down at the hologram, however, he instead looked high up onto the bridge window where the second-in-command stood.

"Listenin'"

"Hey, Vesh, our scouts spotted another ship"

A hearty laugh escaped the leader as he shook his head "Togran, we're picking up ships all the time. This isn't why you called me"

The response was somewhat delayed as the young Drabatan still processed all the information "Well, this is a basilisk"

Vesh paused, brows raising behind his t-visor "Yeah, that's worth mentioning, you're right. Direction?"

"It seems to be coming towards us."

"It's probably nothing, but I want you to raise the readiness. Activate a cannon or two. If nothing else, it'll be good training"

"Understood."

A few moments passed by as Vesh silently reflected on his actions. Finally, he spoke a simple "Veshok out" and ended the call.

It would not be long before the leader could identify the man riding the basilisk. Quickly, he reached for his comms unit and called Togran. Upon seeing his friend answer the call, he wasted no time on formalities. "Power down the cannons now" The command was short, almost curt. Vesh received a confirmatory grunt in response before seeing his friend put the comms unit away and issuing a few orders to the bridge staff. Despite being the only one on the call, he muttered a low "It's the Guildmaster" before hanging up.

When Vren spotted him, Vesh was already approaching him as he made his way through the clusters of warriors-in-training. Upon getting close enough, he would bow his head in a nod and speak a strong and formal "Guildmaster! Welcome."

"Mind to have a word?"

Behind his visor, Vesh' face remained as stalwartly neutral as ever - but the response was somewhat delayed. "Of course" he said, his tone now more reserved. Throwing a glance up to the massive ship, deep in the busy camp below, he let out an absentminded "Getting to the conference room might be a bit of a hassle. But the plains are quiet enough" he noted, his gaze shifting towards the white wields over which Vren had just flown.

Starting a slow walk into the empty field the young warrior maintained his professional demeanour "My men and I are eagerly awaiting your leave to depart Kestri. We wish to be on the frontlines." he took a breath before continuing, hiding whatever feelings he had "Meanwhile, we are doing what we can to maintain combat readiness. Kestri has proven to be an excellent location to train martial skills and vehicle handling in extreme temperature conditions."

banner6.png

enclavediv6.png

banner8.png

FAR AWAY

The primed cannons hadn't escaped his notice.

Not that Vren was too worried. Nag had faced bigger ships and cannons. Her late creator had designed the Howlers for the exact purpose of capital ship attack. What creased his brows, however, was the fact that weapons were raised to begin with. His face was carefully neutral, however, as he was greeted formally by his son.

For someone who had been a lawman for most of his life, Vren knew to not only pay attention to just one thing in a conversation or interrogation. It was always the little thing that gave people away. Veshok's delayed response to his question wasn't lost on the Karjr.
"Of course. Getting to the conference room might be a bit of a hassle. But the plains are quiet enough"
Vren silently motioned for the young man to lead the way.

He followed Veshok a ways away from the camp, acutely aware of Nag's shift as she turned to keep an eye on him. She'd raze the planet before letting anything happen to him - had nearly paid for it on Tython years ago. She was the only constant in his life of chaos.

Out in the stark white of the plain, Vren was just about to start a conversation when the young Rook did it for him. The veteran thus quietly listened, face carefully blank. If he was to be treated as Guildmaster, he would remain as such.
"My leave might have to get postponed due to those cannons that were readied on my approach." he finally said, tone cool. "The only things here that might threaten your existence are the Vong if they escape. And they won't be coming from the air." He was quiet for a moment. "Who gave the order for them to be readied?"

Right for the jugular.

"If you wish to fight on the frontlines, I would suggest you start trusting those that are not from your group. Otherwise you will be in for a hard time." A simply stated fact. Members of the Enclave may have their differences on some topics, but they all stand unified against those wishing to harm any of their Vode.

Time would only tell where his supposed son fell on that spectrum.

Apples and Trees
Talking with Vren Rook Vren Rook

"I did." Vesh' voice was strong and his helmet protected his surprised and regretfully frustrated facial expressions from being observed. He took a deep breath and turned his head away, out into the empty snow covered fields. Eventually he clasped his hands behind his back and looked back to his father. A defence with enough conviction to put an Onderonian lordling in their place was mounted "We are far away from home, my people need training and I..." he trailed off as he let out a frustrated sigh "and I haven't done my homework on the planet's stability."

Vesh did not mention what homework he had done instead. He gritted his teeth behind his t-visor once the words were uttered. His expression stilled upon hearing that Vren had to say. His shoulders fell just slightly. A nod was offered, along with a sincere "I will." His mouth opened to continue speaking but before a word left his mouth, Vesh decided against it.

With a few steps, the young warrior moved ahead of his father and turned - the two would now face each other properly and Vesh would be able to see his people and a distant silhouette of Togran watching them from the bridge. His cape hung from his beautifully decorated armour, softly dancing with the breeze. Vesh then removed his helmet with both hands and held it against his chest. His hair was slightly shorter than when they had met last but still far from a simple buzzcut.

Now unfiltered by the helmet, his voice sounded like it had during their meeting at the council. It may have been perceived as warmer and a bit more familiar - but then, the words remained formal and unspontaneous "Was there something you wished to discuss?"

banner6.png

enclavediv6.png

banner8.png

FAR AWAY

Not a coward, at least.

Vren felt the slightest bit of relief that Vesh took accountability for his actions. It was a step in the right direction and told him at least something of the boy's character.

He observed everything about his son, though the young man betrayed very little of his feelings aside from the slightest slump of the shoulders. In that moment he could almost hear Tawnita raging at him about his communication expertise with a "both equally obstinate" comment thrown in somewhere.

As Veshok stepped forward to face him properly, Vren shoved that picture and sudden pang of longing to the back of his mind. The young man finally removed his helmet and the resemblance struck the old Karjr anew. He still couldn't believe any of it. He was stricken silent for a moment, almost not hearing his son's words.

"Was there something you wished to discuss?"

Vren chewed on them for a moment, not entirely sure how to answer. He'd rather face a Sith Lord in that moment than matters of the heart.
"Why did you all come here?" he finally asked somewhat flatly. Brilliant, Vren. He could even hear Nag give a groan, quickly disguised as a low, metallic rumble. A couple of the Mandalorians around the ship even gave her worried glances. "Why leave Onderon for this mess?" There - words softened a bit. it was a start, at least. Ice broken.

Why'd the kid have to have two people as parents that were equally bad at discussing feelings? Role models were probably in short supply. No wonder the two men had gotten off to such a bad start with getting to know one another.

Was it even worth it at this point in the young man's life?

Apples and Trees
Talking with Vren Rook Vren Rook

The answer didn't come immediately. For a few moments, Vesh just stood there, patiently looking his father and the Guildmaster of the enclave in the eyes. The cold was harder to cope with when the helmet was off - this was far from the temperate to hot climate of Onderon and indeed very different from the humid jungles of Dxun. Still, the young leader wouldn't show weakness if he could help it. While he didn't shiver, the tip of his nose and the edges of his ears started to shift slightly in colour. For most, it would be hard to notice immediately.

The first question was met with an absolute lack of expression aside from a slight eye movement as Vesh' processed the question. Some noise could be heard from the basilisk in the distance but it wasn't going to distract the one who had just been told to trust in his fellow Mandalorians. This time, Vesh' reserved ways and slow response time paid off - for it gave Vren a chance to clarify and soften the question.

"War" the delivery was professional and determined until the facade crackled and a lighthearted chuckle escaped him. An amused "We are no mindless warmongers like the Core worlds like to believe but..." followed before he looked away. Vesh sucked his cheeks in and quickly killed the smile that he had worn. He continued, speaking for himself and his people "... the answer to most things often boils down to just that. Of course, there's duty, honour, community and other things in there too, but the triggering factor was war."

Vesh paused, casually letting the helmet's weight shift between his right and left hand before holding it firm and shifting his gaze onto the t-visor and through the reflection: Himself. Moving from Onderon and joining up with the Enclave was no small decision and it could be explained with many words, or just a few. It could be seen from his personal view or that of the Hardhorns as a whole. Finally, he looked back up from the t-visor and spoke with direct professionalism "We came here to fight and to grow in strength. We brought a ship, weapons and ammo, you just need to point us in the right direction."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom