Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apparently Politics Run in the Family

Hanna smiled as she sat visited the Senate Hall again, She had hoped it had to do with her bid for a position in government. She had given in to her mother's wish and tried to get a position as an Official of the Republic. It had been more work than she thought but her mother's friends had pulled strings and helped her in her bid for a position. She had tried to get several but she doubted the senate would approve her bid. She had figured a long shot, the Daughter of the Ambassador from Hapes Cluster. But then again many senators seemed to take a liking to her despite her youth.

She wore a pant suit, as she wasn't sure how to dress for the event. She hadn't been told much honestly of late, She knew that she was being checked out as she had gotten notice her background was being checked. She just hoped it went well. Her mother had done what she could but she was back in the Hapes Cluster at the moment which meant she was alone for the moment. Hanna's nerves were wired as she waited anxiously to be called. She figured it was to break the news that she hadn't been accepted in any position. She was inexperienced when it came to positions... but she had helped her mother and been around the world that was politics, but somehow she felt it wasn't enough.

Aurelia entered the room alone and took a seat at the end of the table looking at the young woman facing her. The daughter of the Hapan Ambassador was inexperienced, young, had little training in the machinery of government. All of this hardly made her the best candidate for high office. On the other hand though the Hapans had made it quite clear that their conditions for joining the Republic were a stake in the upper levels of government. Aurelia was also content that the girl was utterly no challenge to her, so better a useful pawn than a potential rival. And so, here they were.

"Ms Lissiri, I trust that your journey here was comfortable?" she asked, smiling slightly to put the other woman at ease. This ease would not last long. This interview would be most...thorough, she was certain on that.

Hanna smiled, and looked at the woman in front of her, She got a chill as she was looked over but she smiled and used her best posture as she prepared to make her self heard. She was ready to enter the world of politics and she wasn't going to let her inexperience to stop her. She took a breath, " Of course it was a pleasant journey, I find courscant a wonderful place to visit except at night. I hope the day is treating you well."
It wasn't often that Hanna was put of from talking but as she didn't know what she was here for exactly so she felt out of place and hesitant to talk. She kept her smile as she kept her eyes on Aurelia.

"The day is treating me as well as any other," Aurelia said flatly. "Coruscant can be a disconcerting place to visit at first, it's true. You will get used to it though."

Now she moved on to business. "As you may be aware, Vice Chancellor Halleck passed away last week. He will be missed, as he brought integrity and strength to the Republic. So, Ms Lissiri, your parents are ambassadors from Hapes. Hapes is close to signing a deal where they are incorporated into the Republic. Did you know of this?"

"I am sorry to hear of Vice Chancellor Halleck's death. I am indeed aware that Hapes is close to signing a deal." She was not dumb, it didn't take much to figure out that Hapes was trying to get a position out of the deal, and she suspected she was the lucky individual that had been selected or else she wouldn't of gotten nearly as much support. That was the funny thing about politics when the wheels were properly greased it was amazing how fast they moved.

Aurelia let the silence hang for a moment, as if she was waiting for Hanna to say something more. Finally she leaned forward.

"As you may not know however, the Ascendancy has set certain...conditions...on this deal." The way she said 'conditions' made it clear her opinion on the matter. "One of these is the placement of a high member of state into the government of the Republic. Naturally I do not like having conditions imposed on me, but in this case I am prepared to accept. What do you think of this, Ms Lissiri?" she asked. It was a leading question of course, the cat playing with the mouse.

" I think it is a good condition, as it ensures that Hapes, can be properly represented, As you you know we largely keep to ourselves. " She said
wondering what she was beating around the bush so much. " We are glad that a woman leads the republic, I don't know if you were aware of that advantage you have, we are a matriarchal society. I do hope you have found a suitable candidate" She said with a smile wondering who she might pick if this was the case, perhaps her mother.

Aurelia looked a bit sour at the younger woman's comments. "Ah yes, the advantages of a matriarchal society, I hadn't considered that. After all, I had hoped to be inclusive to all. Regardless, the proper representation of Hapan interests is for them to become and remain part of the Republic. These conditions though I have decided to accept however because it is expedient to do so. I am not, and never have been, a supporter of monarchy in all its manifestations, but I am prepared to work with this one."

Aurelia seemed to be considering matters still further. "Ms Lissiri according to the constitution of the Republic I am eligible to pick a replacement Vice-Chancellor, subject to the approval of the Senate. I would like you to stand for this position. I am pretty sure that your nomination will be passed, and you will be appointed. What are your thoughts on this?"

Honestly? I am a shocked you consider me for the job, I assumed you had a message for my mother, " She hadn't figured she would actually be picked. She was a surprised, and she hoped her mother would be as happy as she was, a smile came to her face as she went to speak. " I would do it, to the best of my ability. and would hope to help you in your endeavors. I think it is a big step but I think I would be up for it, and I am sure my mother can help with her contacts to get it passed."

"Yes, I hope she can. It would be most unsettling if she could not." The implication was clear; Hapes joined the Republic or Hanna would find herself jobless again. "Regardless, the Vice-Chancellor roles are...minimal. They are basically to recognise Senators who wish to speak, act as a tie-breaking vote when needed, and to represent one particular interest group the Chancellor needs." Aurelia gave her new subordinate a grim smile.
"Despite having your position imposed on me I am interested in teaching you if you wish to learn. You are young, and you will need the skin of a Krayt Dragon to weather politics. The first lesson I can give you is to learn how to lie, how to speak for an hour without saying anything of substance, yet to speak for a minute with an hour's meaning if needed. I will teach you to be my Vice-Chancellor, and one day you might be good enough to suceed me...or perhaps not. But be warned, I do not coddle and I do not hold back, so you must be prepared for criticism."

She listened and smiled, " Of course, I would expect nothing less from the Chancellor of the Republic, I am interested in learning the ins and outs of politics from someone as experienced as yourself. I must say, though I wasn't expecting to get this job" she looked up at her unsure what to do, though inside a party was going on, she couldn't believe it. She would definitely have to go out to party to night, and make sure not to do anything too stupid, she was a politician now.. She smiled wondering what her first job would be and what sort of briefing she would need to get.

The first order of business, if you are indeed going to take this role, is for you to be smart about your public movements. Your partying and drinking are well known to me and to your enemies. You can't change the past, but you can make the future yours. Do not go out in public unless what you do is beyond scandal or else your career will come to a sudden halt. If you feel the need to party and celebrate be wise about where you go. Choose public clubs where you control the guest list and staff. Make sure they don't talk."
This lecture stopped when a chime pinged. Aurelia went to her desk and spoke into a comlink. She finished the call and returned. "Miss Lissiri. I have received some disturbing information. Do you know a man by the name of Gandar Fel? I believe he might be a bodyguard or such. I have received a report just then that he may be an agent for someone quite nasty."

She smiled... though her face flushed red, they knew... how she spent her time, though of course.. private clubs.. where she controls the guest list.. that would be fun . Well it would make it more fun she supposed.. She would call the shots... and have to control her image more. The ping startled her yet relieved her. " Yes, he has been my guard for years.." She smiled, the man had helped her through much, and was a friend. Well as much as a body guard could be a friend. " He can't be an agent... for someone.. who would have it out for me?" She had no enemies yet. " I don't believe your... source... Gandar can't be an agent..."

Aurelia considered her carefully. "With great power comes great danger, Ms Lissiri. It's difficult to trust anyone in this game, and even more so when they have must to gain by your misfortune. My source might be wrong, but rarely is. My report states that there is a faction on Hapes which is directly opposed to the treaty with the Republic, and that this faction might try and act against you. I would suggest extreme caution."
Already though Aurelia was considering a counter move. "We could turn this to our advantage, but it will be dangerous. What do you say to being bait?"

Hanna thought about it, this was a dangerous game, she supposed that there could be a faction on Hapes that might try something... she hoped it was wrong, hoped that Gandar didn't have the connection that they said he did. " Yes if only to test your sources report, what do you propose? " She was curious as such a plot could take many forms and she wasn't quite sure the angle that Aurelia might take. It could force their opponents to move though which would let them know their true intentions. She almost spoke, but refrained... " I could go out tonight... to celebrate... it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary..."

Aurelia considered. "Yes, do that. Go with him, show nothing. You'll be monitored the whole time. When the time comes...say the word 'Radiant' and we'll move in. Of course, you might be right and there is no problem. I don't believe in coincidence though. Now get going, meet Gandar as planned."

She went to her desk and produced a small disk about the size of a thumbnail and handed it over. It was almost flat, metallic. "It's a motion tracker, it won't show up on any scans. Hide it somewhere on your person."

Hanna smiled and took the device, and planted it in her bra with a smile. " I shall indeed then Madam Chancellor. " Hanna made her way out and was soon surounded by her two bodyguards, where she spoke to Gandar " You will never guess what the meeting was about Gandar! I am on my way to becoming Vice Chancellor, if the vote in Senate goes through! so we are off to celebrate! " She said as she made her way to the speeder, her driver let them in. They were off to her favorite club, which would be rather empty right about now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom