Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alone Together

It was hard to believe it hadn't even been one day. Less than a day since Syala had departed for Belgaroth. Less than a day since she had faced off with a Sith Lord in the Scrapyard. Less than a day since she had been blinded and scarred by poison from his amphistaves. Less than a day since the peacekeeping mission had been abandoned in favor of those that had embarked survived the ordeal. Somehow it felt like ages had passed, yet at the same time it seemed as if no time had passed at all since that clash. Trauma had a funny way with things, distorting one's sense of time until they weren't certain whether to trust in their own senses anymore. Of course, that could have just as easily been due to her newfound sightlessness as anything else. It wasn't as if adjusting to having only four senses was easy.

There was much she wasn't able to recall, beginning with her transportation back to Voss. The ship ride had transpired in fits and bursts, with her only able to recall bits and pieces of hushed conversation over her head. It was then she had first been made aware that the only way to achieve sight again would be to replace her organic eyes with cybernetics. The majority of her time had been spent sleeping, though she was often jarred from these hours of recompense by sporadic and uncontrollable recollections of all that had occurred during her fight with the Sith. It was the illusion pressed into her mind that stuck closely by her, its image refusing to budge from her subconscious no matter how hard she tried. Even in her waking hours it haunted her, but at least then she was able to find some sort of distraction.

At first, the pain itself had been unbearable, wrenching her from her thoughts and forcing her to consciousness, a burning reminder of her failure. Time and time again it seemed as if she was reliving the exact moment of her blinding whenever that pain resurfaced. But eventually even that had subsided through copious amounts of pain medication. Nothing more was capable of alleviating it. Even finding solace in the Force proved impossible, as she wasn't able to focus through the agony long enough to draw on the ethereal even momentarily. As if being blinded wasn't bad enough, she wasn't able to take comfort in the same energy field that had always been a comforting and welcoming presence in her life. That only served to add insult to injury, not that she needed help with that. She was doing a fine enough job of questioning every move she'd made during the fight.

But now they had finally arrived on Voss. Finally she was back to some semblance of familiarity, some sense of comfort. Even then she knew it wouldn't last long, as her Master had been immediately notified the minute the ship had touched down in the temple hangar. It seemed as if the galaxy itself was against her receiving even a moment of peace by herself. Once Connor arrived she knew he would be fussing and worrying over her every need. Once he was satisfied she was well enough, however, he would begin questioning her on every aspect of the confrontation so that he might pursue the Sith and deliver his own brand of retribution. That was simply how he operated, but she wouldn't have wanted things any other way. All she would ask this time is that she would be allowed to accompany him.

For the moment all she could do was wait with these idle thoughts. That was the worst part of it all, being confined to the medical bay. Why couldn't she at least be allowed time by the lake, where she and her Master had talked so many times before? In return she had been informed that the medical wing was the safest place for her at the moment, what with her fresh wounds and still persistent pains. And so there she remained, much to her silent and unspoken irritation. Sure, she might have been hurt, but it wasn't as if she couldn't walk. Sight was the only issue that prevented her from doing much of anything, but even that was secondary to her involuntary confinement. After all, she was a Knight of the Order, and had just fought a Sith Lord mere hours earlier. What harm would a lakeside walk do her?

Confined to her bed she remained, with bandages wound about her sightless eyes and the still raw and tender pink flesh that surrounded them. An IV had been inserted into her left hand, the robes she had worn there discarded in favor of the much looser hospital gown. Blankets had been pulled up to her waist. Thankfully her lightsaber still remained, its weight a comforting thing in her lap. There she waited for Connor's arrival, for better or worse.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

Connor was at the opposite end of the Temple when the call came through from the Rangers that Syala Daivik was en-route back to Voss in a critical condition. His stomach dropped, and he had to hold out for nearest support at the words coming through. With Sy returning critically, there was no word of [member="Chastity Lunelle"] who was with her. A hollow sensation built immediately in his body, his heart seemed to grow heavy and thump violently as it took his breath away. The cold wave of fear swept over him and his weak legs.

There was nothing else that mattered right now, and he had run from the 3rd floor library, dropping his text, past any in his way and across the corridors, down the stairs, thumping into shoulders as he ducked past fellow Jedi – all the way out of the grand entrance and around to the hangar. He was in his training gear, his casual wear, and thankfully he moved fast because of it.

It was a simple peacekeeping mission to Belgorath and nothing more. Chastity had gone from Connor’s advice to learn and watch Sy as a real Jedi in operation who would be a beacon of light to her to follow, away from Connor’s smouldering haze. But, not, it seemed something had gone wrong and he hadn’t been there for either of them – the one thing he promised both he would.

nu1701_corridor.jpg
Moving through the gleaming medical bay, the stark white walls and black floor, his boots thundered down the curved halls until he reached the IC unit. It had taken two Rangers to keep Connor back until the staff were happy and ready, and he had to take a moment to compose himself until the Toydarian medic was happy for the Master to enter.

Connor pushed the doors open into Sy’s room and it was ghostly quiet, except for the monitoring stations and apparatus whirring and beeping gently in the background. It was warm, white and tinged with purple; a relaxing glow around the recovery room, but Connor paid it no attention when he saw his protégée in bed, wearing bandages around her eyes and looking pale.

”Sy...”

Immediately, Connor welled up with tears, and moved to her side, never breaking contact from the bandages and looking right through them to her aura; their true connection. He took a delicate hand in his and sank to his knee, cupping it between his that were shaking slightly.

”Sy, what have you done now. What happened? Where’s Chastity?”

Voice cracking, it was clear he was deeply affected by the young Knight’s state. His face was a picture of worry and concern. So many questions – so many thoughts racing in his mind.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

The moment Connor stepped into the room Syala became acutely aware of his presence, instantly reaching out through the Force to connect with his aura just as she had done so many times before. It was an instinctual act, one cultivated by countless hours spent together, and in some sense it helped to relax her, despite the questions she could feel brimming just beneath the surface and the overwhelming concern for she and Chastity's well-being that flooded her senses. This was how it should have been from the beginning, him standing right alongside the two of them on Belgaroth, an unwavering force. Instead they had gone alone, and to say things hadn't gone as planned would be a severe understatement. But it wouldn't do any good to worry him further. So she merely squeezed his hand, a silent sign that she was marginally okay.

There wasn't anything to say that would completely alleviate his every concern. No words to smooth over all that had happened and leave things as they once had been. Nothing to sate his worry entirely. And she didn't speak, for a time, allowing the ethereal communicate what the physical realm wasn't able to grasp. The same calm that always accompanied her she offered to him, allowing him to drink from the same well of the Force as she, that he might find peace within himself even during this time. It was a gesture that proved that while she may have been broken physically, her spirit as a Jedi was far from fractured. If anything, it had only been strengthened through this ordeal. And she wanted Connor to see that as well, to recognize that despite what currently ailed her, she would still stand just as firmly beside him as she had before.

When she did deign to speak her voice was hoarse, wrought with just as much emotion as his, yet still possessed of its same quiet, "She's fine. As far as I'm aware, she was uninjured." That would ease his conscience briefly, she knew, though just as quickly he would rebound with more questions. "From what I was told she stood firm, never once wavering. A true Jedi, but then I suppose she had a good teacher." Even now she was attempting to build him up, aware that he would blame himself for this, though there was nothing that he could be faulted for in the least. Those were the only words spoken for a moment, and she allowed him time to process their exact meaning. There was no doubt in her mind that he would be changed after this, but then again, so would she. For better or worse, the dark had taken its toll once again.

"The Sith landed while we were there." Taking a breath to steady herself, the exhale was shaky, "Chastity and I were separated in the beginning. I know I should have stayed with her, but by then it was too chaotic to pick apart much any detail, through the Force or otherwise." It felt as if all she was making were excuses, "Instead I went off on my own," mistake, "And happened upon a Sith Lord," another mistake, "As a Jedi I knew it was within my jurisdiction to confront him, so I did," big mistake. A moment of silence passed. It was likely he was already piecing things together, but she would give him the full story if he asked for it, which he would in time. That would come a bit later in their time together, however, as now the both were relieved just to see the other alive and well. That was more than enough, for the time being. It had to be.

Without another word she swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood in short order, despite protest from the staff present, her legs shaky beneath her. Her lightsaber clattered to the floor, but she paid it no mind, instead all but falling into Connor's arms as she hugged him, refusing to let go. That physical contact and unwavering support was all that she needed. "I'm sorry." Tears stained the bandages and fell down her face, her voice cracking, "I know I shouldn't have gone off alone, and I know challenging the Sith was a bad idea. But I couldn't stand by and allow them to condemn innocents to slavery or death." It wasn't within her capacity to not act when her presence was needed, no matter the circumstance. "I should have contacted you, but I didn't." Her voice fell a few decibels, barely audible when she spoke again, "I'm sorry."

As Sy talked, she seemed strong in resolve and very matter-of-fact with her words. Calm and collected. Yet, she was hurting and her voice was weak. Connor didn’t know where to look; he tried to see through the bandages to see the extent of her injuries and what they were hiding. Chastity needed to be found at once as he also hadn’t heard from her and couldn’t lose her too.

Connor frowned, and tried to piece the vivid images in his head from the actions Sy explained, be it very hazily, and once more found venom for that word – Sith. His skin crawled and felt like dozens of tiny needles were dragging along his arm as he held her hands. Connor was frozen to the spot and didn’t know what to say next, and all he could do was swallow the nausea rising in him from hearing the pain the once bright-eyed, youthful and headstrong girl had become due to the butchers who would prey on one like Syala. He wanted to be sick; out of anger and upset.

With his breathing heavier, Sy’s body turned and he stood up, arms shooting out to help her in silence, waiting on edge to give whatever she needed – a drink, a doctor, a nurse? A hug. She collapsed into his body, and Connor wrapped his arms around the one who was like his little sister and so much more. The Jedi snapped his head to the door.

”Get those Rangers and get me an update on the whereabouts of Padawan Lunelle. NOW!”

His temper was flaring like a solar blast. As his Knight released her upset, Connor clamped his eyes shut and pulled the Force around them to calm her.

”Oh, Sy. Sy. Sssh.”

The tears stemmed from his eyelids, but he paid them no due.

”If only the Jedi were as pure and selfless as you…if only they were.”

His eyes slowly opened; he had done this to her. From the first day of training, he swore that he would protect her and stand by her. Now, she had returned in this state and all because he hadn’t given her the confidence and faith to call on his guidance in the field. It had been a while since they last spoke, and even walked by the lake around the Temple, and so relationships were strained it seemed and now they had both paid the price. And where were the Jedi to help her when she needed them? Wrapped up in their own pointless negations, talks and drama.

Connor held her tight, and nobody except Syala would get him to stop this all-too late protection. With his arms around her, nobody could hurt her anymore whilst he was there.

”Who did this to you.”

The mist started to form in the tunnel vision of vengeance before him. Whoever did this was going to feel the consequences.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

In that moment it seemed the hug was all Syala needed to squeeze her broken pieces back together and make her whole again. His embrace was reassuring in a way that nothing else was capable of, and she found herself wishing that she wouldn't have to leave his arms, if just until she was healed. Connor was close to her in a manner that no one else had managed to achieve, their bond nothing short of familial, sometimes seeming more tightly knit than that which connected blood relatives. No matter what he said it was by his side she belonged, and this only assured her of it further. The quiet words spoken provided a gentle sort of comfort, and she allowed her emotions to flow freely, escaping her in those near-silent tears. Sometimes episodes such as this were necessary, but she would have much rather this one been under far different circumstances.

Nothing would move her from where her arms were wrapped about him. Nothing except the last five words spoken, vocalized as more of a demand than a question. This was a side to him he rarely showed around her, the side that was fully intent on returning what had happened to her tenfold to the individual responsible. It was something she couldn't answer easily, more due to her general lack of knowledge when it came to the one that had blinded her more than anything. But she would do her best to explain things, if just for his benefit. "I don't know his name." Her voice was slightly muffled from her current position, and slowly she pulled away, not leaving his arms completely. "His arm was Vong-shaped, resembling the three-headed amphistaves the Vong would carry. That's how I was injured. Blinded." That was the sole distinguishing feature she could recall.

For a brief moment she pressed her head into his shoulder once more, another bout of sobs escaping her. Eventually even those stopped, and she pulled away slightly to speak once more. Whether she liked it or not she had to continue, if just for the betterment of the Silver Order and those Padawans that would follow her in the line of service in the fight against the Sith. Monsters such as this needed to be stopped. It was up to the two of them to stop those demons. Begrudgingly she touched on the memories she had already attempted to bury, pulling up her recollection of his features, that same smug smirk always present on his face. Without another word she allowed the image to surface in his mind, just as clear as if he'd seen the man himself. Such was the beauty of the ethereal connection they shared. "That's him."

One hand slid down his arm to gently intertwine their fingers again, and she squeezed his hand. "I don't want you to leave yet." Once again her voice took on that broken quality, though she was doing her best to stem it so that he wouldn't overly concern himself. It had never been her way to give him reason to worry. Even if she knew it was inevitable, she didn't want him to risk himself in order to seek out vengeance for her. The possibility of his own injury wasn't worth the risk. Just as he cared about her she reciprocated those same feelings, and her thoughts would have been the same had their positions been reversed. Such was the bond that connected Master and Padawan. Even if she was a Knight. "When you do, I would like to accompany you. I want to prove to this Sith that he isn't capable of breaking me. I want another chance, with you by my side."

Some of the strength had returned to her form and voice, due in part to the calming aura he'd extended about them both. Inhaling deeply, she reveled in that feeling for a long few minutes. Her free hand strayed to the bandages around her eyes, and she allowed their texture to focus her thoughts and give further conviction to the next words she would speak. Her voice needed to be firm if she was to believe all that she would say. "I want to join the Shadows." With those six words uttered, she let their deeper meaning hang in the air. It would mean putting herself in further danger, but there was a meaning to it. "I want to join them so that I might abolish the threat of the Sith before they have a chance to strike again. I don't want anyone else to suffer what I did. As a Jedi it may be my duty, but not that of innocents. To be a Shadow would mean to make a difference."

While Connor was holding his ever Padawan in body, spiritually he wasn’t there. He was picturing the nightmarish pain Sy had gone through, the selfless act she would have presented to be shown no mercy by a monster out for bloodlust. Her words could be heard, yet Connor’s eyes shot daggers into the monitors behind the patient. He was starting into nothing and picturing everything. The disgusting Vong he had heard about so often, nothing but a perverse mutilation and remnant of an era long gone, but still the Sith felt tied to it.

When Sy pulled away and help him see the face of the Lord who left her in this state, Connor nodded to her, face firm and taught. The Sith didn’t look old at all – younger than Connor perhaps. He looked smug; spoilt; afraid. Desperate to prove himself; his over-confident style screamed that he had been stripped bare by the butchers to become a slave to the Dark Side. Prying on Jedi who aim to do nothing but help others. He would soon find out not all Jedi played by the rules that Syala had.

Her plea was heard, and her suffering, and Connor looked back down to those eyes – and it was difficult not to see them covered by the bandages, specks of blood dotted on the white fabric. The Master felt more pain hearing she was blind; the beauty they had taken in around Voss had only been a snapshot of what he wanted to show her, and now he would never get the chance. His head fell forward gently to rest his brow on hers and he inhaled deeply, arm holding her; protecting her desperately.

”I will find it – that thing is not a man; it’s a creature. I will find it, and destroy it and I don’t care what happens to me. You, you are not to come with me. Not yet.”

He pulled back and gently took her cheeks in his hands, stroking her tear streaked skin and looking into her soul beyond the bandages – looking into her with the Force.

”You, you are not to come with me. Not yet. If you do our bond will be manipulated and I will not give the Sith that satisfaction. You are not to go back – do you hear me?” Connor started to break, not questioning, but desperately ordering, remaining gentle to the touch however harsh his words were.

”I have failed you, Sy, and I have failed Chastity. I will NOT lie until I have found that monster and shown him what mistake he made doing this to you! The Shadows? The Shadows are just as useless right now as the rest of the Order in doing what we said we would. I will make them better - you will be with me when I do, I assure you that.”

How could he assure her of anything after he had let her become mutilated? The determination was rising inside him, and the petty ways of the Silver Jedi vanishing as all he could see was doing what he had said months before to the Council –take direct action and stop talking about it, when countless Jedi suffered in the meantime. Sy was the latest casualty of the Silver Jedi, and Connor had just about seen enough.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

As he gently brushed away her tears Syala immersed herself in the bond they shared, allowing the pure connectivity it communicated to envelope her entirely, washing away what fear she may have had. This newfound calm gave her the ability to listen to all he was saying with an open heart and mind, and respond rationally in return. Slowly, despite knowledge that things would never be the same as they were previously, the two were returning to the conversation they had held previously, where each worked through the other's issues with a level head. It was one small token of light among a cloying web of darkness, but it was enough to lead her out of her current state and into another evolution of herself as a Jedi. A stronger, better metamorphosis. One that wouldn't fall so easily. One that refused to.

The more he willed her to stay behind the more she wished to come along, but she knew a part of that was the Dark Side calling to her, doing all that it could to snare her once more in that cold embrace. And there was nothing more she would have liked than to have avoided contact with the Sith for as long as possible. But a larger side of her refused to let him face this alone. It wouldn't be fair of her to let him walk into the unknown unaware of just what he was facing. That wasn't how either of them had operated from the beginning. Always they had had each other's back, and that wouldn't change with this incident or her promotion. Whether he liked it or not, she would be stubborn in allowing him to leave unprepared. There was no question that he was powerful, but even the strongest individuals required a helping hand.

Her jaw clenched at his final admission, but she otherwise remained at least momentarily silent. It wouldn't do good to allow her emotions to rule her completely. It was required that she dealt with things piece by piece, quietly working through each issue until every one of them was resolved. It was how things had always been between them, quite literally from day one. Perhaps it was her time to allow him to help her, instead of it being the other way around. After all, she was the younger, and it was almost predisposed to be so. But she was a Jedi, not just another teenager, and a young Knight at that. She hadn't been Knighted on a whim, and despite this failure allowing herself to be broken down so easily wasn't an option. Lately she found that she had to remind herself of that more and more, and it seemed that mission to Belgaroth had been the catalyst.

Momentarily she looked down at the floor, not in shame, but rather in focus. A quiet, metallic clatter broke the silence, her lightsaber flying into her hand. The weight of the weapon in her palm was a reassurance by itself, reminding her of her greater purpose in the galaxy. It was a symbol of her pledge to defend the innocents that weren't capable fo standing up for themselves. But it was also the final step which cemented her new life as a Knight. Turning the weapon in her hand she thumbed the ignition switch, turquoise blade snapping into existence between them, a barrier built of plasma energy. "This is what I've dedicated my life to. It's where I belong. I won't stand idly by and allow you to face this alone." A pause. "But I will abide by your wishes. It would be unfair of me not to." Finally, the saber was extinguished. "Just promise me you'll come back safe."

The weapon was placed gently on the bed behind her, and she placed her other hand in his, allowing calm and healing energy to transmit through that physical touch. "You've failed no one." She raised her head as if she were looking him in the eyes. In a way she was looking deeper, past the physical and into his true nature. "It was your training that gave me the courage to travel to Belgaroth in the first place, let alone challenge a Sith Lord by myself for the betterment of others. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have been here in the first place. You need to understand that, before anything else." Gently she squeezed his hands, a smile finding her lips despite the circumstances that had all too recently arisen. "Rushing into this because you believe yourself to be an insufficient Master is foolish. You're worth more than anything to me. Never forget that."

Rubbing her arms gently, Connor rested his head on her head and breathed deeply, plotting how best to find the scum that did this. He would use the imagery in his mind, talk to those who went with her – talk to Chastity. He would find out who this Sith was soon, even if he had to pull in the Rangers to find him in Sith space around Coruscant. All he needed was a name, or a ship id.

As Sy moved back, the lightsaber hilt clattered up from the floor, and Connor stepped back to give her room. Not out of fear, but for her to remind herself what she was – this, she did, with the violet blade spitting into life and casting a bright glow between them. He looked straight through the blade to her sightless face, and she spoke more words wiser than that of anyone her age.

While she accepted his words and request, he knew this wouldn’t be the last of it and she would need to face the Sith again, just as Connor had previously with his own demons. This was not the time. This was dangerous times for them all, and Sy needed to rest well and evaluate her position in the Order and what her sight going would mean – cybernetic implants or remain devoid of sight physically? It was a choice Connor felt sick at her facing, but one she needed a clear head and time to do.

Connor held her hand as she spoke, looking straight at her and seeing nothing but natural beauty; internal and external. As she smiled, Connor gently wiped his finger across the bottom lip, and then down her cheek to brush loose hair from her bandages.

”This will not be the end of the matter, I promise. You need to stay and recover, and take your time to make your choices. I will investigate this Sith, but I will return to you.”

Looking down, he squeezed her hand and closed his eyes to stem any tears wanting to trickle out as he remembered they would never be the same again.

”It is my failing as a Master that had you feel you were ready to go there without telling me, without securing our bond after so long, and having you face a Sith. You should never have been alone there, Sy. I will never forgive myself. But, you continue to strike me as someone far wiser and stronger beyond their physical years. I am so, so proud of you. You are the Jedi I always wanted to be.”

A pained gasp escaped his mouth, and he leant to plant a kiss on her forehead.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

"Stop it." Slowly Syala reached up with one hand to brush away what tears had escaped, her touch always gentle, feather-light. That same hand gently traced down the side of his face, seeming to find its own way back into his hand. As brave of a face as he was putting on, he was beginning to crack, and it was something she couldn't bear to witness. Enough already had transpired in life to cause him to doubt himself, and she didn't want this to be another catalyst. If anything, it should have been an assurance that he had trained her to be strong and capable, no matter the circumstances. But he was refusing to acknowledge this, it seemed, only focusing on the negatives. It was always a constant battle, getting Connor to see that the light and purity he saw in others lived on just the same inside of him.

Soon enough she knew he would leave in search of the Sith, once more plunging himself into danger for the sake of his fellow Jedi. It wouldn't be the first time he had done so, and it likely wouldn't be the last. And this time, she supposed, there wasn't a way to convince him that it was unjustified. Not when it was she who had suffered, and not when she could agree that some sort of retribution was in order. As kind and caring as she was, that mindset only extended so far to those who wished ill on the family she had forged here. Outwardly she would still appear the quiet and peaceful Jedi she was, but inwardly she knew that the transformation undergone during and after the fight on Belgaroth was irreversible. No matter how much she willed otherwise, that change would remain permanent, another fact of life.

Her eyes slid shut beneath the bandages at the sensation of his lips brushing across her forehead, and she exhaled softly, slowly. Only in that moment was she finally completely and totally at peace, the Force sparking between them, as if their bond was strengthening as they spoke. All she wished in that moment was that it never end, so the two of them could remain safe and guarded from the greater horrors of the galaxy. Already they had witnessed far too much, and she was perfectly aware that the chance to turn back had been lost the moment she had stepped into his quarters as a wayward Padawan. Now they were walking this path together, hand-in-hand and side-by-side, each more than supportive of the other. And she realized in that second that she wouldn't have wanted things any other way. Yes, this was a difficult road, but with him she had a feeling everything might just be okay.

Once more she reached up, this time with both hands, gently tilting his head down. "I don't want you to be afraid that you've failed me. You don't have to avoid looking at my injuries in fear that you're responsible. This isn't due to your faulty teachings, or because you weren't a good enough Master. If that was the case, I wouldn't have made it past the rank of Padawan, let alone so soon." Her fingertips brushed along his jaw, that same smile still alight on her lips. "Without you, I wouldn't have had the means or the courage to stand up to the Sith. Yes, it's true that I wouldn't have been injured either, but that isn't your fault. You weren't the one on the battlefield that day. You didn't witness what transpired. I had plenty of chances to walk away, but I chose not to. I chose this life. I chose you." Her voice was barely audible, just above a whisper.

Never had one been so at peace with such a seemingly debilitating injury. It was of no consequence to her whether she was physically sighted or not. The Force would provide for her, of that she was certain. "You shouldn't doubt yourself. You are the Jedi that anyone would be lucky to so much as resemble." It was that she believed firmly. If there was ever one individual stronger in both body and spirit, then she had yet to meet them. Nothing would convince her that he was the best suited to train any Padawan. "You don't have to be alone. You never were. That is what I want you to see, more than anything." Her hands remained in place, albeit softly so, on either side of his face. "Solitude isn't an option for you. It never was, from the day you met me. I will always be here. You don't have to be alone, because you have me."

Looking down at the floor, her hands holding his head, Connor felt useless and stupid. Here he was feeling sorry for Sy in her situation, but she was instead supporting HIM and reassuring HIM about things. His sight and strength remained intact; Sy had been the one to lose more out of this nightmarish encounter.

"I wish I could have seen your bravery out there – I bet you made that Sith regret crossing one as strong as you.”

Connor lifted his head and exhaled slowly, taking her hands and kissing them, before lowering them and returning the gesture to hold her head, but with another motive in mind. His fingers toyed the bandage wrapped around her head, he chestnut hair falling down over his hands.

"I’ll come back here before you know it, and when I do, when you’re up and out, we’re going to take a break and go back to the lake for a walk, ok? I’m only going to go and have a chat with that thing and get some answers, that’s all.”

He slowly, tenderly, started to peel her bandage, gently passing it around her head to his other hand, circling gently as he unwound them. A tear fell, but he felt closer to her and waited for her to stop him, but something inside told him she wouldn’t. There was nobody else around – this was Master and Apprentice only.

"You were beautiful when I first met you, that sparkle in your eye and that infectious smile. Let me see that beauty again before I leave you to rest.”

Slowly, the bandages came away and soon he made the final wind around her head as it came away in his hand, and her eyes were on show for him to see. He looked at them, and swallowed, lost in the sight that greeted him, The skin around the sockets was burnt, skin blistered and cracked. It was red raw, and her eyes were glassy, bloodshot and looking at nothing. They looked dry, sore and encrusted with dry blood and broken muscle. However, she was still Sy, and her resilience was something far stronger than surface damage to her face. Connor gently drew his finger across her brow and down the side of her face gently, avoiding any area of damaged skin.

"Still beautiful to me. And I can still see that sparkle there – that hope and that stubbornness you had when you walked into my quarters and signed yourself up for trouble!”

The bloody bandage draped over his hand by his side, taking down the barrier between them. He wanted her, at least for a moment, to feel normal and natural around him and not to let anything make her feel weak. It was his duty still to protect and build her strength, and this was the start. He didn’t do things by the book, and no doubt he would be shouted at by medical staff, but he didn’t care. If Connor cared, very little would be ever get done.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

A sharp inhale was her only response to the final removal of the bandages, though it wasn't out of sudden pain. It was due to the feeling of the cool air on still raw and tender flesh, and the exposure of dry eyes to the open air. Eventually Syala blinked a few times, slowly, forcing herself to adjust to the new sensations almost immediately. Measuredly she exhaled, not reaching up to probe her wounds despite her urge to do just that and examine the extent of her injuries. There was still pain there, subdued in nature though still present, and of a burning nature as it had been when first inflicted. But she wouldn't allow herself to show outward signs of such, not wanting to have him further concern himself. Even that she had to work through on her own to a degree, familiarizing herself with that suffering so that she wouldn't blanch at the mere thought of it next time. And there would be a next time, that much was certain.

A smile was the only thing to crack her otherwise serene countenance, one sign that all was slowly returning to normal. Tears welled up in her sightless eyes, this time borne of happiness and something akin to relief that a part of this, at least, was how it had been previously. There was another feeling brimming beneath, one far more complex and unexplainable, that she couldn't quite name or put a finger on. But it wasn't anything of an oppressive nature. In fact, it was as if an enormous weight had been lifted off her shoulders, and all the frustration at herself and her circumstances had dissipated in mere seconds. And she knew intrinsically that he was responsible for this newfound calm, one of the many thousands upon thousands of reasons that she held him in the highest regard, above all others in life. He was her Master, most definitely, but he was also her friend and brother. He was family.

"He certainly underestimated me, in regards to both the Force and saber combat." Her smile widened, becoming more akin to one that would grace your average, careless teenager rather than a Jedi Knight who was far wiser and harboring a grim knowledge beyond her years. "I can assure you that he didn't continue for long. And, should I train as a Shadow, our next encounter will be far more damaging for him." That phrase was one far more threatening than anything that had passed her lips previously, another piece of evidence that she was forever altered from the naive child she had been. Now she was all too aware of the horrors the galaxy had to offer, having confronted one of them herself on the battlefield. Nothing would revert her back to her old persona, but a careful kind of support was the only thing she needed in order to continue to flourish on this new path.

It slowly dawned on her that this was all she had needed. Throughout all of the time spent on Voss, Lorrd and even Belgaroth, this moment of communion with her Master was all that was necessary to get her back on her feet and ready to stand by his side through everything once more, whether literally or metaphorically. With the tension from the previous minutes having dissipated almost completely, all that was left were quiet reassurances spoken before Connor went out to battle for a worthy cause once more. "That sounds nice. I'd like that, just being able to talk with you." Just as they were doing now, only next to the natural landmark that had heralded the true beginning of her life as a Jedi and so would mark the start of a new era within the Silver Order. And, just as before, Connor would be at her side through it all.

"Come back to me one last time before you leave, okay? And remember that I'm always with you. If not out here, then in here." With one hand she reached up to gently place it over his heart. "If you believe that, then I'll always be next to you, no matter what battlefield you're standing on or what adversary you're facing. I'm only as far away as you think I am. And with our bond, that's not very far at all." Standing up on her tiptoes she pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek before hugging him. It was a different sort of embrace than before, one that showed strength and resilience rather than a fractured mind and body. It proved that she was ready to move on, move past this, to bigger and better horizons. And if she had her way he would be right beside her, experiencing it all as she did. In that moment they were one.

Connor smiled, a woeful smile, not that she could see it, but one that even with her strong and passionate words he felt sorry for her. Just, as a mentor and brother, he felt sorry for her and wanted to do far more than stand around swearing vengeance. As she came for a hug, Connor rested his cheek on the top of her head and reciprocated her feelings just as much through the Force that bound them.

"I’ll find him, and I will be having words don’t you worry. I already know he would have used deception and under-hand tactics to get the advantage on you, Sy. He’s a Sith. It’s their nature to fight like animals.”

Rubbing her shoulders, he set her back and exhaled, letting out as much frustration as possible.

"And I’ll certainly see about you joining the Shadows – just, make sure you convince me it’s something you feel ready for. I don’t want you pushing yourself. Not that I don’t think you can, but I want you to do it for the right reasons.”

Connor looked around the room and noted the refreshment on her side table, and poured a glass of water, a little under room temperature now. He turned and took her delicate hand and placed the glass in her fingers, holding them around the drink – he would do anything to care for her.

"When you’re better,” that pang of sorrow again – when, or IF?, "I’d really like you to spend more time with Chastity and pass on what you have learnt to her.”

He let go of her hand, and sat on the bed beside her, looking at her naturally beautiful frame. She really was a creature born from what the Force was about – purity, strength and hope.

"Not coming from me as a Master, but from you as a friend and ally. I’ve always told others you are the Jedi I wish I could have been, and I will make sure everyone knows how strong a Jedi you are. I think you’d get on well with her, and between you and me, bring her down a peg or two.” He smiled to himself. "She’s got an attitude on her that even tests me.”

Without thinking, he placed his hand on her on the bad and stroked it gently with his thumb, thankful for feeling more serenity in her presence than anger now. That would come later.

[member="Syala Daivik"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom