Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Advice on training threads?

I recently embarked on my first attempt at writing a master in a master-apprentice storyline. Previously I had only written the apprentice role, so it's a new experience for me. I have some plans for how it will play out, but for the most part I'm kind of winging it.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice or suggestions for how to write training threads. You can also talk about your experiences, good and bad, with writing the master-apprentice relationship, what to aim for, what to avoid, etc.

For example, I've been using NPCs/old PCs that I don't really write anymore to supplement teaching skills that my master character doesn't know or isn't very good at. Sort of a "it takes a village to raise a child" kind of mindset. It also opens up the door to more story opportunities, because all these characters have their own backstories and sources of conflict.

I love training threads, it is easy to write that you are all powerful or super skilled it is another to have the threads showing development and work striving towards it. Matsu is maybe the biggest example as she has hundreds of training threads to really take the jedi generalist spot using each aspect fo the force and I would see look at how it is used.. the skill/ability and if you are able to look at what is cited for sources and see if you can find the part displaying it to have an idea of how it works more in practice... then have fun with it. Don't just burn yourself out going the strict DBZ approach where you train and train... make an adventure out of it. Junko's training thread is still ongoing and has nearly reached 1000 posts while she fights, explores and trains across Atrisia.

Living In Color
Codex Judge
Alright I'll break out my lil' trophy of training over a hundred writers for some insight. Training threads were my bread and butter back in the day, and honestly? I was terrible at them. Literally the worst, and looking back at that there trophy I can see it's made of some scraps I collected to make the whole fiasco better than it was. I did training threads with no plan and no care for future RP, making stuff up too much and generally causing the thread to burn out because I got too lose with my own writing.

Winging it is fine, in my opinion. But so long as you have a general idea on where you want it to go. What you're trying to teach, the challenges you might be tossing in and the resolutions you might expect. If I'd planned it out more, I'm certain I coulda given Darth Ophidia Darth Ophidia and Kaalia Pavanos Kaalia Pavanos much better stories than I did, not to mention the countless others I took under my wing only to mess stuff up.

Not that everything was bad. Some of my more fond memories was tossing Ophi there in a pit of Terrentateks without weapons and makin em stealth their way out. After showing them how to hide their presence. Success or Death. Even made our own little knighting ceremony that involved heading to a forgotten Sith valley, ingesting some poison, then surviving the trials of those forgotten Sith.

For example, I've been using NPCs/old PCs that I don't really write anymore to supplement teaching skills that my master character doesn't know or isn't very good at. Sort of a "it takes a village to raise a child" kind of mindset. It also opens up the door to more story opportunities, because all these characters have their own backstories and sources of conflict.

This is already better than what I was doing. Only thing I have to suggest after that little spiel above? Don't be afraid to add more NPCs. Don't be afraid to be a DM. Control the parts of the story you want to to help drive the story forward and go full tabletop if that's something you want to do. I think that was probably my biggest set back when I was doing training threads, thinking I couldn't just take control of the NPCs and narrate the story around the apprentice characters for them to react to.

Training threads aren't about skills but about the lessons we pass on to our students about being a Jedi/Sith or whatever your order is, doing what's "right" according to said order, becoming independent, and following their instincts. I repeat. It is not about SKILLS or POWERS.

Alongside, or instead of actual "training" threads think about doing small missions that have objectives, their own micro/mini story arc that teach a specific lesson.

I have a good bit of experience with being the Master from my RP in SWTOR, and here on Chaos, I've picked it up as well. So I'd be happy to share my thoughts and stuff!

First things first, pure training threads that feel like a classroom-style lesson can be trickier. Forum RP isn't always quick enough for it in the back-and-forth but something small can work. I did a pure Jedi Code lesson with Iris Arani Iris Arani and that wasn't too bad. It's already a ton easier if you know how to teach a lightsaber form or something more practical though because it'll feel like just writing a fight, but with more dialogue/explanation from the Master. Can be about more than just the skill/Form too — things like Self-control for Jedi or properly drawing on hatred/emotions for Sith is fun to get through depending on the student.

But My preferred method is to intertwine lessons into a story. I taught Iris about a few Force abilities like Force Sense, Danger Sense, Empathy by taking her through a dangerous Jungle where the two characters had an assignment to complete as well. The student learns something and there is a bit of a story at the same time. In addition to this, taking your student into faction threads if you're in one works really well, too! Taking Iris Arani Iris Arani into an invasion was a really fun experience :)

Another thing that can help is to actually put your students to the test in some threads. Not quite like the Knighthood trials for Jedi yet, but if you know their character, you might be able to predict mistakes they could make. Use it against them, and let it grow naturally into something the Master can address. Bigger threads like invasions or public/faction threads can offer all this too. And in my opinion, these are the most fun lessons because they're not skill/powers focused — they are pure character progression.

And like others pointed out, the NPC stuff and being more of a DM in some cases can help a ton. When I do Master/Padawan RP, I'm typically in a DM seat as well, and it's a lot of fun to create a story along with your student.

The only other bit of advice that I forgot is to really work with your student and focus on things they enjoy in terms of training/lesson style. If you both have fun learning a Force ability through a small story, then go for it :)

But if it's not something the student likes, focus more on the character growth side. Expose them to danger, put them in situations where they experience both defeat and success, and guide your student through it all.

Bunker-level Normal
As others have said, but I'll add on in my own perspective, classroom-style training threads are the bane of training threads. Good on those who can pull them off and see them through, I've never had them work for me. And I get why, you spend posts meeting and doing silly things that feel real to classroom experiences but aren't useful for the character RP, and then eventually every writer is expected to pantomime out their character practicing the skill. Not really applying it, just practicing. No wonder people lose interest, including the PC teacher, I can't blame anyone for that.

Mission-based training threads are where it's at. Either have the classroom-style training offscreen before thread start, or teach on the fly. Send your students against real opponents, real obstacles, and throw them into real danger. It's much easier (and more fun imho) to write against story scenarios than the blank wall of a classroom. And if your students get hurt, that's more of a lesson to them, they won't screw up that badly again. Maybe there will be real character development to be had in those moments, too, and that usually serves to further the story.

Or just because I write many word when few word do trick...

runowPL.png

EDIT: Hell you could even have a "training thread" as a mission where even the teacher doesn't know the subject matter well enough to teach, and all struggle through it together.

Last edited:
Don’t ever force it.

It needs to come natural. Not every thread is a training thread inherently, but every thread is a new adventure for both master and padawan to reflect on and learn from.

For the padawan, never be afraid to branch out and have your character learn from others. Everyone is unique and can teach you different things. Pick up everything like a sponge. I had Caden here literally volunteer for everything and anything even when he was padawan to Okkeus Dainlei Okkeus Dainlei .

Every character on Chaos will impart something different into your character. Or nearly get them killed. Or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom