Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Adrift above Rodia

Setting.

OX1uRLz.jpg

Tattered and torn by a wave of mechanical failures, the heavy transport cruiser Corynorhinus is barely keeping even the air recycling systems operational.

Although otherwise the 41.8 meters (~137 feet) long Gozanti-class model is quite defensible due to its well-fortified hull bracing and the fact that it is armed with formidable weaponry, currently the ship is little more than a floating coffin on a collision course with the planet Rodia. Shields and weapons systems are out and control of the ship is lost. It should be a few days before we burn up in the planet’s atmosphere, but then there is the problem with the injured, as well as a lack of sustenance.

- …This has been the co-pilot, Gorth’alon speaking. Signing off. – Said the incredibly deep and raspy voice on the comms.

Click. The emergency request is aired on every available frequency. All the passengers can do now is wait.

-
You know this is really dangerous, right? It’s not just the good guys that could pick up on this. – Asked Motozuma, the Dug pilot of the stolen ship. Like many on this ship, he is mostly afraid of the unknown, and rightly so. As slaves, we have been deliberately kept in the dark regarding the goings-on of the galaxy.

His fur tinted by the muted but frantically flashing emergency lights of the cockpit and sitting on the ground next to the pilot is the spearhead of the revolt and the ever calm hulking beast, Gorth’alon.

- What other systems are left? – He asked.

- We can still hail ships that are close by. – Motozuma ponders a bit and looks up at the ominous planet looming ahead. All that’s left is powering the cargo bay’s ventilation. Oh and yeah, we have no emergency pods on this thing.

-
Can we operate the cargo bay’s loading ramp?The Yuzzem asks. Well, no. – Arrives the answer without hesitation.

- How many people can this thing carry officially?

After fumbling about in the central computer, the Dug quickly finds an answer. It says here it’s twelve.

- Then we are moving everyone out of the cargo hold and onto the bridge. We are shutting down cargo ventilation. Would that free up enough power to operate the cargo doors and the platform?

For the first time since they have been talking, Motozuma stops, spins around with his chair and looks into the pitch black eyes of his friend skulking in the corner. The Dug has always caught onto things quickly.

- I see what you’re doing... Yes, this could work. It won’t free up enough juice to power up the ship’s shields, but for opening cargo doors, it should be enough. – Motozuma hobbles out of his chair and onto his hands. I still hope we’ll be towed to safety, but if some bantha herder wants to return us to the sender, we’ll flush the bastard if we can get them to board.

- We didn’t come all this way to give up now. You monitor the readings. I go relocate the injured.

So begins the journey of the fragile crew of the commercial cruiser Corynorhinus. The odds are still stacked devastatingly against them, yet the passion for survival still burns within the hearts of the forsaken gladiators.
Only time will tell what Fate has in store for them.
*Edit: 24/09/2021 Retconned Apatros. Thanks for understanding!

Last edited:
Gorthalon Gorthalon M Mark Air Gami
THE REQUIEM

Aeshi tilted her head to listen to her copilot’s avian squawks. “Distress signal?” She rested her hands on the controls and leaned over, adjusting the navcomputer to lock onto the signal’s origin. “Of course we’ll respond. Stand by for hyperspace reroute.”

She and her copilot both buckled themselves into their seats, as the computer vacillated the new destination and route. She raised an eyebrow. “Rodia? Don’t they have an in system patrol?”

The only response she got was a diffident shrug.

“Or the Confederacy, at least. What’s the point of a government if they don’t have deep space rescue ships.” Another squawk in agreement and Aeshi punched in the coordinates, gripping the controls as the ship rerouted in hyperspace.

It wasn’t long before the computer beeped an arrival and Aeshi pulled back on the hyperspace levers. Scans ran through the system, identifying ships and transponders. The computer quickly locked onto the distress signal.

“Transport Corynorhinus, this is freighter Requiem. Responding to your distress call. Please identify most urgent needs.” Aeshi said calmly, and gestured to her co-pilot, switching off the comm, “Prep the medkits.” She checked again with the open channel. “We are approaching your vector to dock at an airlock. Do you have any functioning air locks?”

She pushed the throttle forward and the small freighter zipped forward through space, adjusting the course to come in tight to the transport from the stern.

Gorthalon’s personal equipment:

1 x Two-handed Gamorrean greataxe (+ magnetic weapon belt across chest),

1 pair of forearm guards made of cortosis,
1 x IB-series blaster pistol.

M Mark Air Gami | Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian

Although being deprived of sleep for the past 25 to 30 hours at least, Gorth’alon kept on carrying or dragging the injured from the cargo bay to the bridge, depending on their sizes. Most are now awake and have been briefed regarding our status. By looking around and seeing the electrical discharges and the general state that the ship is in however, it does not take too much explaining for the others to understand the severity of our situation. Luckily most ex-slaves recognize Gorth as the person behind the uprising and harbor at least a level of respect for him that warrants their cooperation with whatever the Yuzzem and the Dug decide to go through with. If they survive this, they will likely go their separate ways. But until then, a bond of camaraderie appears present between them.

One Wookie named K’or and two additional human ex-slaves have since recuperated enough to assist in the relocation. This operation took little less than an hour with their help. Just as the last person is placed on the now crowded bridge floor, a door on the far side of the corridor slams open and Motozuma beckons Gorth’alon over with great haste.

The Yuzzem arrives soon and after acknowledging his presence, the Dug points out the window at a group of ships and immediately plays a recording:
“Here’s Commander Gami. We received your distress signal and we were nearby, how can we help?”

Even though they appear to be relatively far away, the size of the ships that have just arrived amazes Gorth’alon, who is absolutely a novice when it comes to spaceflight and ship technology.

- Now what? – Asked the Dug. – I think they’re not close enough for us to hail them unfortunately. The comms system is too weak now and our signal would decay even at this relatively short range. I already tried waving out the window, though!

The Yuzzem appears lost in his thoughts and is hunched over, standing in the cockpit.

- The only sign of life we can give is blowing out the pressure in one of the cargo compartments. Can you section one off?

- Yeah, sure. - And without a second thought, the careless Dug presses a button.

A small tremor immediately runs along the length of the ship, as the pressurized air is blown out of one of the cargo access points. The ship is now in a sluggish spinning motion around its own axis.

Gorth places a palm on his face and ignores the haphazard excuses of the Dug.

- Just keep on trying to hail those ships. We might just be saved, if you stay away from stunts like this in the future. And don't blow out any more cargo sections, please.

Just as he’s about to turn around and take another look at the wounded, another beautiful looking freighter exits hyperspace and shortly after, a communication arrives:
“Transport Corynorhinus, this is freighter Requiem. Responding to your distress call. Please identify most urgent needs.” Says the female voice on the comms.

A look of growing hopefulness is exchanged between Motozuma and Gorth’alon, and the Yuzzem steps forward in the cockpit. All of this feels almost surreal for him, as so far in his life he has either been living in a remote and isolated tribe, or crammed in underground pits with other slaves. Although having limited knowledge of the outside world, he has barely seen a couple of ships in person throughout his entire lifetime.

“We are approaching your vector to dock at an airlock. Do you have any functioning airlocks?” Says the reassuring voice on the comm.

The Dug is about to lean forward and repeat his lines, but I place my hand on his chest. He looks at me, and this time I point at the horizon. The newly arrived ship appears to be approaching and is seemingly headed towards the rear of the ship.

- They are close enough to hear us now. Let’s hope they’re indeed here to help. – Says Motozuma, the Dug. – We have no other choice. – I say.

I take a deep breath and open a direct channel.

In a slow and steady pace, I begin my introductions.
- This is the Corynorhinus. Thank you for responding to our distress call. The regular airlocks are damaged beyond repair, but we have regained control of the cargo access gates and the loading ramp. Unfortunately, we have … miscalculated an attempt at communication and are now in a slow spinning motion. – I take a break and another breath, quickly glance at the embarrassed Dug, realize the humor in the situation and continue. Click. – Seventeen slaves are on board, but we are no slavers. About thirty hours ago we have broken free from our captors and stole one of their ships. Five of us are on our feet, ten are incapable of even standing up, and two have died since we’ve left the planet. Injuries include everything you can think of. Blunt force trauma, blaster fire, detached limbs, cuts. Boarding is only possible through the depressurized cargo areas. I hope you will believe us. Gorth’alon, out. - Click.

TASK FORCE XESH
OX1uRLz.jpg

CIS SPACE | APPROACHING COORDINATES
I DON'T WANNA DO YOUR DIRTY WORK NO MORE
cvMHV8u.png

zDifG4R.png

He'd stunned her. That mother-karker Boluc Laar had activated the nano-bomb in her neck and electrocuted her unconscious. Whatever knowledge Yashuvu had to offer IVI IVI — the schutta got it. And Maijan got a horrible headache and privileges revoked.

Still, she was alive. By some mercy that certainly wasn't at the extension of the director, the Fallanassi's head hadn't been blown to skullish shrapnel. Everything was in one piece and she was unfortunately back in the seat of some corvette alongside the other rag-tag crew of Xesh, working over their stealthless ship to cloak their approach. The entire vessel was enwrapped in an invisible veil, rendering them unseeable.

Sulking, she shifted her weight and adjusted the atmospheric suit.

"I might just kill them." Maijan admitted to the nearest Xesh member, yanking the zipper up to her neck. "Save them this torrrrment."

In the cockpit, the pilots were exchanging information back and forth as they prepped to snap out of hyperspace.

"The Ship, M's target —Corynorhinus — we're getting readings of additional vessels."

"Independent Outer Rims, it seems."

"Vhat do you vant me to do." Maijan asked either of their overseers, Allyson Locke Allyson Locke or Boluc Laar —— she wasn't sure of the hierarchy here and didn't care. "You vant us to go in invisible, orrr me to make up an imaginarrrry fleet for intimidation effect.."

TASK FORCE XESH | Kreg Jare Kreg Jare | Kingsley Kingsley | Boluc Laar | Allyson Locke Allyson Locke | Voyana | Viribus | Kirk Korrado

Gorthalon Gorthalon M Mark Air Gami Maijan Paisea Maijan Paisea

"What in the kark," Aeshi said, squinting at the sensor screens and the small shapes she could just make out growing larger as she brought her own ship close. "Did they just...depressurize one side of the ship? Those don't usually burst without an impact."

The two of them stared at the slowly spinning ship as they approached closer before the comms activated again and an unfamiliar voice echoed through the comm. Aeshi turned her attention to that, scratching notes on a datapad built into her chair. "Oh. So they're Vami's folks there and escaped slaves in the other one."

Her mind calculated possibilities and she let her mind flow through them, gauging out how they felt until pieces began to click together.

She activated an open channel between the three ships. "I read you both and have a plan. Gami, move into range of your tractor beam and slow the spiral just long enough for me to make a seal with a pressurized cargo hold."

Aeshi was in motion now and she spoke even as her hands adjusted the controls to bring the Requiem into a slow orbit around the larger vessel. Her eyes were glued to the viewscreen as she gauged the speed of rotation. The freighter was small enough she could tuck it directly into a cargo bay. "We have medical supplies ready, but nothing for extreme trauma like that." It was unfortunate she'd just sold a cargo of medical supplies. That would have been useful, but it couldn't be helped. "It will have to be a rapid transfer." She unlocked the cargo bay doors and put the emergency release on half-activation.

Another pause and she turned to her co-pilot, "Grab the vacsuits." The Imyni just nodded and stood, heading into the back of the vessel.

"Alright, Corynorhinus," Aeshi said, "Here's what I'm going to do. When the tractor beam slows your spiral, we'll come directly to your loading ramp and create a manual seal. It won't be perfect, but it'll keep things close enough for rapid transfer. We'll pump a minimal atmo into your vessel and cross my co-pilot will cross with vacsuits and some cargo sleds for those who can't walk. Where are the survivors located in your vessel?"

One hand darted across the controls of the computer as she searched deck plans and architectural blueprints for the ship models.

- I have nothing else to say, Commander Gami. Once you meet the slaves, you will recognize I’m not their captor. – The transmission ended abruptly, as Gorth had to put out an electrical fire. Amid metallic screeches, heavy static and beeping, the Yuzzem continued. Click. – Gorthalon to Gami again; the tractor beam is a good idea. In addition to breaking our spin, it would significantly slow our descent towards Rodia. Standing by.

- You sound like the devil, man. Don’t be that surprised. - Motozuma, the Dug pilot has since found a couple of first aid kits, which did not have a significant effect on the general well-being of the injured, but did stabilize a couple of the most gravely affected for now.

- Hey, so, I’m beginning to feel like it’s not even that surprising that we have been found this quickly. – Continued the Dug ex-slave, speaking fast as ever. – See, for a few minutes my sensors came back up and I saw a lot of space ship traffic in the distance over Rodia. I think it’s likely that whatever governs that planet is likely to dispatch ships to meet us… Well -- That is, of course, if the ship’s sensors weren’t just going crazy for a sec.

- I see. Yes. I too have a feeling that others may still come for us. Regardless, let’s focus.

A transmission from the Requiem arrives.
"I read you both and have a plan. Gami, move into range of your tractor beam and slow the spiral just long enough for me to make a seal with a pressurized cargo hold." I lean over Motozuma and turn the volume knob a bit higher. "We have medical supplies ready, but nothing for extreme trauma like that.”

"It will have to be a rapid transfer." So it seems – said the two friends to each other. "Alright, Corynorhinus. Here's what I'm going to do.”

After listening intently, both the pilot and the co-pilot nodded and agreed that this seemed like the best course of action. They were going to need to pressurize a path toward the Requiem’s entry point. The Dug pressed a button and thus joined the voice channel shared by the three. In the meantime, he began the preparations for the pressurization maneuvers. The failing ship still generated a lot of noise in the background, but the Yuzzem’s distinct voice made things a little easier to understand.

- I read you, Requiem and Gami. We know what we have to do and we shall trust you. The humidity, as well as the temperature are constantly rising and we had to put out fires. We won’t mind the rapid transfer. All the injured are located on the bridge. While both of you prepare for the transfer, we shall move the injured as close to the sectioned-off ramp area as we can. I might be wrong, but I don’t think any vacsuits are going to fit either me or the Wookie here. But let’s worry about that later. Gorthalon out. – The transmission of the Corynorhinus always ends in a screeching sound.

Even the Dug is tasked with moving anything he can carry, as time is ticking.

M Mark Air Gami Gorthalon Gorthalon

"We read you," Aeshi said calmly over the comm, pulling out her vacsuit from the cabinet next to the chair. She shrugged it on over her clothes and sealed it as the ship approached the final vector. She retook it and settled back in the controls, following the rotation of the vessel.

She gave a nod to her copilot. "Override automated controls. I'll be leading us in. Prep the emergency seal."

There was a squawk in reply and she felt the computerized adjustments come to a stop. Aeshi closed her eyes and let her instincts guide her, subtle adjustments that she felt rather than saw.

She could feel the dying ship and the pain radiating out from its many injured inhabitants. Her eyes opened an inch and she stared at the cargo hatch she'd selected, giving a nudge to the maneuvering thrusters to send the small freighter sliding sideways.

One finger pushed the maglock and the ship jumped sideways to connect with the cargo bay at the loading ramp.

A series of squawks from the intercom and she nodded. They'd rigged an emergency shelter to seal off the cargo bay.

"We have made the seal," Aeshi said over the open channel. "Initiating boarding for transfer." She reactivated the computer to hold the position and ran from the cockpit, jumping down the stairs and sliding down the safety rail to the bay of the deck and then to the shelter. Imyn had their two small gravsleds and their handful of spare vacsuits.

Aeshi tilted her head in a question and got a nod in response. They dared through the shelter into the other ship, carrying their gear, and sprinting towards where the bridge and the lift should be.

"We're here with the seal!" Aeshi yelled over the microphone into the ship around them. "Let's start the transfer!"

She'd did as much of the math as she could, but it still would be difficult. The seal wasn't perfect and would leak atmo far more quickly than most would like. Even she wasn't sure exactly how much time they would have, but it would be tight. Then tighter still to transfer them to the vessel with the medical facilities.

It would have to be fast, tight, and more than she wanted to do by herself, but it couldn't quite be helped.

Both responding ships have done an incredible job stabilizing our ship. The Corynorhinus is barely holding on. Entire sections of the ship had to be vented in order to put a halt to the spreading flames, yet the rescue operation was tense and heated nonetheless.

Following Aeshi’s boarding, the situation kicked into overdrive, and together with Gami’s assistance, the crew just might be saved.

Amid flying sparks and bursting pressure pipes, the operation was fast underway. The leaking atmo put a timer or our task and minute by minute, the stakes grew. Our saviors acting like professionals, rightly leaving introductions for a later time, worked together like seasoned spacers.
- Thank you both. We will never forget this. - The Yuzzem locked eyes with the captains for a second, nodded, and continued transferring the injured. With unconscious bodies hanging on both of his shoulders, Gorthalon was jogging to-and-from the docked ship, although the makeshift connection did put a dire strain on the physiology of the Yuzzem. Most people could be equipped with vacsuits, but the one Wookie and Gorthalon had to assume that the repeated exposure to the lowered temperatures will more than likely give them frostbite, and if they are lucky, it stops there.

Although Motozuma, the Dug pilot has only been the captain of the Corynorhinus for merely a day and a half, he insisted on being the last one to leave the dying ship. By the time the last of the injured were transferred and spread out between the various ships that came to the rescue, the former slave ship Corynorhinus was visibly experiencing more and more internal explosions. The bridge, as well as the cockpit already in flames, it was time to say goodbye.

A bright end to a slaver ship that otherwise had a dark past; Motozuma and Gorthalon were watching the final moments of the ship through a window. They too were battered and bruised, but not broken. They have escaped. An escape that was a year in the making, had finally concluded. Sectors away from their prison planet, for the first time in the past fifteen years, the good friends breathed a labored, yet sweet sigh of relief.

The blinding flash followed by the soundless explosion of the ship in the distance erased the last trace of their escape route. It was done. This has been the final flight of the Corynorhinus.

The slaves are now either transferred over to authorities or nearby medical institutions.
Broken apart by the ensuing chaos and the tides of life itself, the crew of the Corynorhinus as it were, is no more.

Yet sadness was the opposite of what the Dug and the Yuzzem felt. They have cast away the shackles of tyranny.

Each of the fugitive slaves chose their own way; because they lived and died like gladiators… and won their freedom.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom