Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ACI-5 Yeruda - FFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Someone Order a War?
ACI.jpg
acidspray.jpg

Upper: Custom | Lower: Image Source
Are you just not a people person?
Do you hate standing in line?
Is terror tattooed on your knuckles?
Well we at FFE hate queues as much as the next sentient.

Intent: An smg sized secondary weapon, an acidthrower to counter to heavy personal armor or light vehicles. Packing more punch and heavier than a pistol but still much lighter than another primary weapon.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Fire for Effect
Model: ACI-5 Yeruda
Affiliation: Open Market, from Fire For Effect’s marketplace thread only, or a sponsored representative.
Purchase thread here
Modularity: No
Production: Limited (200 units of this model)
Material: Durasteel with a shielded inner firing chamber.
Classification: Acidthrower
Size: SMG
Length: 500mm
Weight: 2.5 kg
Ammunition Type: Cannister
Ammunition Capacity: 1 Minute of Continuous fire
Effective Range:
Optimum: 30 Meters
Maximum: 50 Meters
(One third of the ammunition of a ZX flame projector)
Rate of Fire: Stream of Acid

Firefor_Effect.jpg
Custom Image​

Special Features: Trauger in its acid form eats through unresistant armor. Armor thickness only prolongs the inevitable. Applying bacta stops the acid, while shields almost negative it entirely. Acid resistance built into armor systems would likely help slow the acid also.

Description:
FFE have been playing with acid for a few years now, usually for those that really get on the wrong side of the hutts. Flamers are well catered for, but sometimes a warlord needs a terror weapon that goes above and beyond the norm. Trauger is a dangerous gas to collect, and that makes the trips to get it few and far between as nobody wants to go. Turning the gas into its acid form before use by adding water, it becomes a terrifyingly corrosive substance.

The ACI-5 Yeruda is named after the Yeruda Poison Spitter on Felucia, being built to give people a secondary weapon that can counter heavy personnel armor, or slowly eat through a wall. The thickness of the armor most likely won’t help someone against Trauger acid, it'll only buy them time. Likely counters are shields to all but negate the liquid’s impact, acid resistant armor systems, or applying bacta to stop the corrosion.

The weapon's inner chamber is shielded using a small deflector shield to prevent the acid touching the durasteel, this somewhat crude but nonetheless effective design makes the weapon vulnerable to ion or electrical plasma discharges. If hit by them, the acid would drain through the canister it was contained in, and possibly damage the barrel if mid firing. Thankfully the barrel is made of basic durasteel and replaceable or repairable, the canister of ammo however is not so easily replaced, and actually more expensive.

Featuring an easy and secure clipping mechanism, to make attachment to belts, armor or transport racks more secure. The SMG doubles as a versatile, somewhat light secondary weapon. Testing however, has made it abundantly clear that wearing shields yourself is a must before using the ACI-5 Yeruda.

This weapon will most likely soon become illegal on many worlds, meaning you can't brandish it openly on many worlds, although not an operational weakness to the weapon's design, it is a concern if you were to use it overtly. Limited and expensive due to the difficulty in collecting the gas. Not expensive parts, hard to get acid. Meaning NPC units can't be carrying many of them and new characters likely can't afford it. Thusly limited numbers have been produced for sale.

Weaknesses:
-Shields, the acid can’t eat through energy, and will do minimal damage to shields.
-Like a flamethrower, spraying acid isn’t a clever idea if you are unshielded yourself.
-Very short maximum range
-Internal shielding systems are vulnerable to Ion or Plasma electrical discharges.
-Bacta, Crystals or Inert Polymers, inert polymers are cheap to make and design, and easy to add to armor.
-Extremely expensive and dangerous ammunition, 1 or two canisters max for the average user.

Strengths:
+Armor - The acid will continue to eat through whatever it touches unless stopped by bacta or shields.
+Useful for firing at vehicles, the armor thickness doesn’t matter but the size of the vehicle does, as your spray can only cover so much. Effective against small vehicles only as this is an SMG sized weapon, it can however breach larger ones for entry.
+Terrifying crowd control weapon.
+A terror weapon, if you want your enemy running in panic, this is the way.
+Devastatingly painful if it reaches a person’s skin, often causing unconsciousness from nerve damage or the loss of limbs.
+Somewhat light and compact, can be used as a secondary SMG sized weapon.

Examples of resistant materials, that layers, coatings, or composite alloys of armor could contain
Crystal – Most types
Chemically Inert Polymers - RL Explanation | Numerous Canon Techs exist for polymers.
Ultrachrome or Malab are near impervious to acid damage.
Beskar, Phrik, Neuranium, Cortosis and Songsteel take longer than usual to eat through, but like irl armors or any good armor design, you'd still want them coated if possible.

Primary Source: N/A

Canon Tech:
Example weapons: Acidthrower | Spraystick | Droid Bio Assault Spray
Trauger Acid Used

[member="Kaul Dusat"]
RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ZX_miniature_flame_projector
Those RL Flamethrowers feature huge tanks. This one doesn't.

SUGGESTIONS
Lets start by telling me what materials are considered resistant to this acid, since you mentioned it.

Kaul Dusat said:
-Limited and expensive due to the difficulty in collecting the gas. Not expensive parts, hard to get acid. -Shields, the acid can’t eat through energy, and will do minimal damage to shields. -Like a flamethrower, spraying acid isn’t a clever idea if you are unshielded yourself. -This weapon will most likely soon become illegal on many worlds. -Very short maximum range -Internal shielding systems are vulnerable to Ion or Plasma electrical discharges. -Bacta
The first one isn't a weakness, not really. Neither is the fact that it will become illegal.
I would like to know what happens if it becomes effected by Ion or EMP weapons, does the acid melt the weapon, does the weapon just go inert, etc.

Did Someone Order a War?
Acid resistance, you want me to do their work for them ;)
Sure I’ll throw people a freebie idea.
Acid Protection Layer - It’s more going to be composite layers, the use of bacta to wash the armor, shields, or a coating to the metal rather than a bare surface metal, coating armors is often done IRL for a variety of reasons. I’d personally coat the armor myself if I was designing one for that variety of reasons. This thing is supposed to eat through people's exposed and unprotected surfaces, hence why it’s limited and expensive

Cannister size - Thanks I was looking for some canon timing on flamethrower usage, I actually brought in RL examples because I was stuck, at present its set to a third of the ammo of that projector, so a third of the size seems logical. Removed the RL examples, listed the flamer link.

Ion / Plasma Effect – Updated in description. The weapon would become inoperable, but likely not irreparable, given its just basic durasteel, a clever user would drop it rightside up till it drained, or risk separating the canister and throwing it. More advanced later models will carry a more advanced system (and be redeved of course)

Limited Weakness updated. NPC units can’t be fielding many of them, and new characters likely won’t be able to afford it. - It’ll be the first of the limited stock so if someone does a unit stub and actually can afford a few of them, their numbers will go down in real time.

Illegal weakness updated. If you were walking around a law abiding world carrying acid or chemical weapons I fully expect people or NPCs would try and stop you, at least as they become more common.

Added a further weakness about ammo being pricey, this is very much meant to be a secondary weapon, though packing more punch and weight than a pistol. I've indicated that in the intent also.

[member="Kaul Dusat"]
Mainly I wanted to know if this was intended to burn through Phrik, Beskar, Songsteel and the like in regards to asking what metals you considered acid resistant. Please mention somewhere that many restricted materials are resistant to this weapon, assuming that is not the case.

In reference to the two non-weaknesses, I didn't necessarily need them changed, just they aren't actual weaknesses for the weapon's operation, which is what matter's most in submissions.

Also you didn't tag me.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]

Sorry about the tag.

NPCs I would like if its okay to leave in it being expensive so you don't see armies of NPC's wading around with these, a few in the background at most would be more likely.

Most of the metals you are mentioning are strong to puncturing, heat or explosive forces, so they are seen as strong traditionally. Corrosion is an entirely different animal. Ultrachrome would likely do it because it was immune to corrosive or metal eating fungi however, i've put a small list up of ideas in the description:

Examples of Resistant materials, that layers, coatings, or composite alloys of armor could contain
Crystal – Most types
Chemically Inert Polymers - RL Explanation | Numerous Canon Techs exist for polymers.
Ultrachrome
Malab (Borrowing this from SWG)

We have weapons such as this:

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/1254-eaters/- for example in circulation.

All these things already in canon, the chemical sprays, acid throwers, bugs etc need some sort of counter on the coating of the armor, preferably bacta/crystal lining, or an inert polymer layer of some kind, coating is quite common on RL armors for example. Which is what the advanced models of this design will be deving with threads.

It is incredibly easy to put these kinds of substances in beskar for example when forging it, but someone still needs to do it :)

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Draco Vereen"]
Strengths weaknesses balanced out a 6/6 as per discussion.

Moved the weaknesses stated above into the description instead. Let me know if it needs any more tweaking.

[member="Kaul Dusat"]
Please make a note about Beskar, Phrik and other restricted materials, mentioning how resilient they are or that it takes significantly longer than normal metals and you should be good.

[member="Sere Reene"]

Please distribute this wisely. As all things in the factory, if any report is made against this weapon it can be pulled from approved submissions and reviewed or retroactively denied.

Approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom