Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Totally Diplomatic And Not At All Family Related Matter

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............Dax had never been to Ketaris before. So deep into enemy territory, however, put the man extremely on edge. He'd managed to avoid most Imperial patrols, talked his way out of one, and bribed his way through another. Thankfully the name of Dax Fyre wasn't quiet as known as it was in the southern reaches of the Rim, a fact he was now very, very grateful for. In fact, Dax didn't think he'd ever been this far north of the Core in his entire life. It had been such a haven for the Sith and allied factions, he'd never even bother. But, extenuating circumstances had brought about drastic actions.

............The planet itself was impressive. Covered in vast oceans, the flight over the planet's atmosphere had truly been beautiful. Being known as a major trading hub, Dax had at least heard of the planet before, but knew shamefully little about it. When he had landed on the planet's surface, he'd made a quick pace towards what he could have only assumed was the home of the planet's lord regent.

............Walking past the rather loud and raucous attendant, Dax threw open the doors to a great throne room and strode his way in, ignoring the attendant's protests, and stopped before the man in the big chair. "King Enlil, if I'm not mistaken?" Dax bowed deeply, the way the Akaran's did. Shasoti did not believe in bowing, such formalities were expected on other worlds. Hopefully he was on the right planet..."Pardon the intrusion, but name is Dax Fyre, King of Won Shasot./" Dax still hated the taste of that title on his tongue. "I'm afraid I have some pressing matters to discuss with you. It is of the utmost urgency."

Enlil Enlil

The city began burgeoning after its Normalization, after the survivors and reformed dissidents finally rehomed and joined the workforce. With his decision to terraform the strike zone, the King now spent much of his time among the architects and botanists that cultivated the various flora that would eventually inhabit it. On this occasion, he'd just finished a meeting of the provincial governors. Arming the Fortresses that made Ketaris a highly fortified border world and trade hub was equally important to cultivating a strong and happy populace.

Unfortunately, many of the Militaristic minds were not as enthused about the way that Enlil chose to allocate his people's tithes. Rather than funneling the majority of monies into the defense budget, housing and jobs legislation swarmed the tables. He was only barely able to placate them with promises that he would commit to a bi-yearly draft and ensure that unemployed, non-student citizens served in the Stormtrooper Corps.

Even that, Enlil felt, was unfair to them. Imperialism had its merits, but he also began to see flaws in the things it made necessary.

As the last of the Officers filed out of the meeting room, the King clutched both sides of the bridge of his nose and kneaded them. "Tending a garden of flowers is much less stressful than one of people," he exhaled emphatically.

That was when the attendant spoke up, loudly, and a commotion outside the chambers seized his attention. Enlil snapped up at that. The last time this sort of thing came to his doorstep, it had been Yula.

He bit back the excitement as a man he did not know stormed into the room. With his mood already sufficiently sour, this course of events only exacerbated his foul mood. The King's ruby gaze fixed on the man like twin suns over an unforgiving desert.

"I see," Enlil responded without his gaze wavering for an instant. "On your world, are matters of importance still performed in accordance with scheduling and protocol?" he questioned of the man who called himself King. "Because that is a standard I stress adherence to here on Ketaris, and I fear I am quite stringent on it, regardless of station. I expect even the most common of men to stand on equal footing with foreign dignitaries in this."

He let the point stand. While it was most assuredly a blemish on the honor of a man of high stature, the man's willingness to breach protocol told Enlil that this was not a man who cared for procedure.

"I am quite busy, Dax Fyre of Wan Shasot," the King iterated. "State your business. Quickly."

Dax Perl Dax Perl

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............Ah, a man who put extraordinary emphasis on protocol and formalities. In most cases, Dax would have found some amount of respect or honor in such a stance, but frankly, Dax had learned the hard way all too often that a reliance on anything other than one's own wits, skill and those of the people that surround you was much more damaging than anything else.

But this wasn't a situation where such concerns needed to exist.

............"On my planet," Dax replied, "Our only formality is that of war." To say the Shasoti were a warrior culture would be putting things lightly. The men and women of Won Shasot lived, breathed, and died by their swords and blasters. It was all they knew, after all. "But, once again, I apologize. As I said, the utmost urgency." Dax straightened his back and looked into the other man's eyes. They said that eyes were windows into the soul. And in this regent's he saw a sense of justice, duty, and strong commitment to his people. The Rogue was uncertain about whether or not that made him feel better about the current situation or not.

............The wordshe was about to say felt like lumps of clay in Dax's throat, for a number of reasons. Primarily because it sounded karking childish, but he had no better way of phrasing it. The man didn't come from any royal background like the one across from him. With a deep breath, Dax began, "I don't take pleasure in meddling in...private...affairs, but I won't waste your time any longer. Is it true that you and Yula Perl are an 'item'."

Enlil Enlil

The King did not blink as the man spoke. If he wanted to hear more of war, he need look no further than Ketaris. The world they were on was a bulwark between New Imperial space and the godless wasteland that was the Sith Eternal's holding. Stormtroopers still frequented the capital city, and Imperial officers were a commonplace setpiece. Or had this Dax Fyre not noticed the men he passed on the way in?

Enlil drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair as the Won Shasoti man once more iterated the importance of his visit. His patience was finite, and this man grated on it. "So you have said," the King spoke in a humorless tone. His fingers curled into a gilded fist.

When the words came from Dax's lips, the King suddenly started to think that the man was a Fool sent by Yula Perl Yula Perl to entertain him. He would have laughed but for the incredibly unfunny circumstances surrounding their meeting.

The King had so many things on his plate, and this man came to ask him about his relationship with Yula? His grip relaxed and he lifted the gauntlet to his chin, which he brought to rest against the cool metal.

"I can only assume that you have not spoken to Yula about this," he said, "because if you had, there is no way that you would storm in here with baseless drivel."

How did he know that the two had a connection at all? Enlil found himself burning for an answer. Did Yula tell people that they were an item? Did... did she have feelings for him? The King kept himself composed as wild thoughts raced through his mind, more preoccupied with the implications of this meeting than the man trampling on protocol at this point.

"I find myself wondering, Dax Fyre," Enlil snapped, "who it is you are to Yula Perl, and how you came to hear this thing you have asked me."

More so than the excitement that raced faster in his chest was the sudden worry that Yula's honor had been brought to question. It went without saying that he had to defend it, regardless of cost. "I will not have anyone tarnishing the reputation of my friends with careless speech, not even a King. It would serve you well to chose your words wisely."

Dax Perl Dax Perl

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............'Baseless drivel my ass,' was the only thing that ran through Dax's mind as he listened to Enlil's holier-than-thou diction. The Rogue then remembered why he hated diplomacy, and why he usually left such matters to Ki or Brill. But, if they knew he was doing this, they'd both probably kick his ass to hell and back. Not to mention Yula...Dax didn't think his Life Transfer would get him out of that one.

............"Maybe this will help clear up who I am then," Dax said, a little heated, "Fyre is my adopted name. My last name, as it so happens to be, is Perl. I'm Yula's uncle." This was definitely not how the family was supposed to meet the boyfriend.

But since when did any of them do things the right way?

............"I'm here because our family has been through hell and creation as of late." Dax said sternly, "I'm not here to interfere, I'm here to ensure that no one else I care about is hurt. By you, or anyone else. I believe you can tell a lot about a man by watching them. I'm here to see if I can trust another person to protect my family as fiercely as I would them. As I'm sure you would your planet. Am I wrong?" Dax knew he wasn't. He could tell from the king's posture. He wasn't the kind of man who'd abuse his power over his people, nor was he someone who let others trod upon him to get what they wanted. What he didn't know was whether or not that extended to his niece.

Enlil Enlil

His gaze softened a bit as Dax spoke further, and his breath became steadier. It was easy to control his outward demeanor, but the anxiety born of the sudden statement took a bit longer to diffuse. Now with his wits collected, he looked down at the man with newfound understanding. "An Uncle, is it?" he said thoughtfully. "Funny that she never mentioned it. But perhaps I am not so versed in the goings on in Yula's life as you seem to believe that I am," the King mused with a wry smirk.

"I admire your candor, Dax Fyre," he conceded lightly, "and your intentions to protect your family are noble, even if your approach lacks tact." The King gestured with his hand for the man to take a seat. "Since you have decided to impose this conversation on me, I will extend at the very least the kindness of my hospitality. Wine?" he asked as he placed a goblet on the table in front of the chair he'd indicated.

"I do not know where you came to this understanding, but you have the wrong idea," he explained as he poured himself a glass. "Yula and I once worked together before the collapse of the Outer Planets Alliance," he said as he watched the red liquid flow. "We became friends. She visited me recently because we had not stayed in close contact. I was glad to see her. Nothing more than that transpired."

He lifted the bottle and looked to the other man.

"I would not soil Yula's name or repute by treating her as some paltry call girl," he said, "regardless of my known disagreements with some of the circles she frequents or the company she deigns to keep. It is her right to do as she pleases, and I would not ask her to change even for me." Enlil passed the bottle to the other man to allow him to pour his own drink. "I would protect Yula with my life regardless of anything she does or says or my feelings about any of it. She is my dearest friend."

He glanced down to the table for a moment. That was perhaps more than he said on the subject to Yula, but somehow, he doubted that this man would repeat anything that he had to say to her. "She is a woman free, above all else. Her freedom is a part of her beauty. To detain her in any way would be a crime most vile." The hardest words to say were the ones he refused to say to himself. Yet this conversation was happening. "You must understand, Dax Fyre, that there has never once been a misconception about my relationship with Yula until right now, and so, I feel that this is the only opportunity I have to amend the record. However, under no circumstances should you tell her about any of this."

Enlil took a sip of his wine, slowly.

"We are friends. I trust her with my life. I will never convey to her the truth of any feelings that I have, because I want her to be happy. To sit her beside me on a throne would be no different than to cage a bird and deprive it of flight. You will never need worry about my hurting Yula, because I would protect her even from myself."

Dax Perl Dax Perl

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............That damned smirk. Dax immediately knew that was going to be the closest thing he would ever get to a genuine smile from the man. Strangely, he was not at all offended by that. Normally, Dax would've just shot the bosh'tet. But this wasn't the Rim, and smirking at someone didn't mean that they were going to stab you in the back as soon as you turned around. Well...Dax hoped that wasn't the case here at least.

............With a nod, the Rogue obliged the King and took a seat beside the man and lifted his own glass as he listened to the king's prattling...but feth, why the hell did he actually have to be an okay guy? It was no secret what kind of people those who resided in the Rim were. Mostly smugglers, bounty hunters, mercenaries, and criminals of all sorts. The kinds of people who'd chew you up and spit you back out if you weren't careful. And of course, that was the crowd that they'd all mingled in. Of course, not all of them were bad. Well, not that bad at least. But this man? He actually cared. He actually cared. And behind all those flowery words that made Dax wanted to vomit, he could tell that this wasn't all just for show.

Why couldn't he just have been some scruffy nerfherder that Dax could kick to the curb.

Why the hell did this bother him? Shouldn't he be happy for Yula? Was this that parental instinct thing Ki was always talking about?

Dax didn't like it.

............The Rogue laughed. "Force almighty!" Honestly, this was like some kind of strange story he might've told his kids, some idiot and an even bigger idiot, like banthas in a herd. "You like her!" It was comedic. It really was. "You actually like her! You're just too stupid to...my lord, I can't even." It was probably improper and stupid to laugh at the guy with the big stick in his own house. Good thing that improper and stupid were Dax's middle names. "Look, uh, I appreciate your honesty. And for saying what you have. But that flowery bull, it means about as much to me as the lint in my pocket. You, dare I say, love her, but you're too stupid to do anything about it!"

Enlil Enlil

The King listened to the man speak a bit too boldly without any expression. It was simple to become irritated, but for him to tresspass as far as he just did warranted a stern warning. "Yula's name is a currency weightier than gold with me," he said dryly, "but it will not buy you immunity from my ire should you continue to speak so frivolously."

Enlil finished the wine in his goblet and replaced it on the table as he looked up at Dax with a venomous gaze. "I have a responsibility to my people," he said evenly, "and Yula lives in another world entirely. She can do as she pleases, and go wherever her whims carry her. These are different lives, and I am a pragmatic man."

He sat back in his chair and folded his hands, not breaking eye contact. "Some things are black and white. Some things are codified as law, permanent, and steadfast."

His heart, steel and cold as it had always seemed, broke as he agonized over the words he spoke. Still, he did not flinch from them. Still, he spoke them.

"It is not my place to force whatever feelings I have on your niece," Enlil told Dax, "nor is it my intention to do so."

He watched the rogue's expression carefully.

"Does this satisfy you?"

Dax Perl Dax Perl

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............Dax was tempted to wave off the blonde man's threats. Pain was temporary, and Dax had suffered much at the hands of many. He doubted there was anything that the king would be able to do to make Dax regret anything he'd said. Besides that, even if he died, he could just show up the next day, better than ever. Literally.

............Still, Dax held his tongue. It wasn't worth pissing the man off. "Nothing is ever black and white," Dax said with a cool smile. He wasn't being arrogant, or even cocky. It was simply a fact he felt informed enough to state. "You can lie to yourself as much as you'd like, but nothing in life will ever be that simple. Law or no law." Dax sat back and lifted the goblet to his lips, tasting the wine. Carefully, he set it back down on the table.

............"You are right about one thing though. Yula is certainly a free spirit. There is not a damn thing in this wide, wide galaxy that could ever hold her down. She does what she wills, whenever she so desires." There was a sense of fondness behind Dax's words. "Which, as it so happens, also means she acts on her feelings, when and where it pleases her.[/bb]" The Rogue wondered how this king would react when Yula strode through his huge doors one day. Or maybe he'd wisen up and beat her to the punch? "In any case, yes, I am satisfied. For the moment. I hope you'll excuse my abruptness and uh...'candor'."

Enlil Enlil

He studied the man from over the rim of his glass. Surely, the man understood what it meant to go too far. For Yula's sake, the King did not simply erupt with his disdain toward Dax's swelling head. It was precarious, the connection between them- and they had never met before this instance. The slight was enough to bring down archaic laws of hospitality to bear on the other man.

Yet, there was a measure of grace in how to deal with delicate matters. He had to keep up appearances for his people and set an example, but this also dealt with something close to his heart. If he handled it poorly, it might do harm to someone he did care for.

He exhaled slowly as he lowered the goblet a fraction of an inch. "King indeed," he mused at the other man with a playful smirk. They both knew that one of them did not conduct himself with regal bearing. "A leader who fails to conduct himself strictly by the laws damns his people, Dax Fyre," he said coldly. "You have a responsibility, regardless of whether you find it contemptable or not. Be more graceful. If not for Yula's sake, then for the sake of your people."

Enlil blinked slowly as he let the goblet fall to one side, hanging limp between his fingers.

"If that is all, I will ask that you consider that I do have things to attend," he told the man, "and ask, respectfully, that you get out of my sight and never speak of this again."

Dax Perl Dax Perl

The Reaper of Won Shasot

[ D A X...P E R L ]

............Even Dax had to admit. The man had a point. It wasn't as if his mouth hadn't gotten him into trouble before. But Dax had stopped believing in words a very, very long time ago. The things that someone said were impermanent, and at the end of the day, meaningless. What one did, on the other hand, those could never be taken back.

Still, to speak was an action itself. Dax would have to remember to be a bit more careful in regions that weren't quite so...familiar...with his antics.

............And so, Dax said nothing. Instead he stood, and bowed once more. "Of course. Thank you again." It was a short exchange, but as Dax turned and walked out the grand doors, he knew he had gotten what he'd wanted from the meeting. This King, this Enlil. He was stern, and most certainly ruthless when necessary, but Dax got the sense he was a man with a good heart. The real question was, would he be able to bend when the time came, if it ever did? Would he be able to make the compromises that'd be required of him. Dax supposed he'd one day find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom