Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Thorn Among Roses

Pash Tafo

P

The text scrolled down with the brush of a finger, whirling up the screen until the digit jabbed at the surface and the words came to an abrupt stop. Cerulean eyes ran over the sentences.

"The Matukai, who have committed themselves to physical discipline, are among the best martial artists in existence. They achieve their mastery through a Force bond that strengthens their blows and refreshes their fighting spirit."

Pash quirked a brow at the small comment on the Order of the Matukai, one of the few and far between he had seen among the Jedi documents in Silver Rest's library. His gaze found the quote's source.

The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force

The Matukai Adept had sought information on his small order from the Jedi perspective. What he had found was that the Order of Matukai and the much larger Jedi Order had a 'you do your thing and we'll do ours" relationship throughout history. Pash didn't expect much more. The Matukai have never been many in number, moved a lot, and rarely together. The two orders never interfered with one another, nor did they ally themselves together. Pash, in a very small, personal way, was working on remedying that.

Setting the datapad he had borrowed from the archives on the massive table in front of him, Pash leaned back in his chair, admiring the vaulted ceiling. Clad in Matukai robes, they appeared much like the Jedi's, but closer inspection would reveal design differences. From a belt at his waist dangled the scabbarded head of his wan-shen, forty centimeters long, fifteen centimeters of the collapsed haft appearing like a handle.

The man's gaze fell to the banners of the order displayed prominently above. Pash was stil not sure what compelled him to seek out the Silver Jedis. Only that it seemed right. Perhaps it was their shining reputation for promoting the Light, something Pash needed after spiraling into near self-destruction after the war.

His eyes dropped to the small silver charm hanging around his neck by a leather cord. He took it up, almost reverently, between two fingers, brushing over the gleaming image of a krayt dragon. It had belonged to Tara, and was the only physical reminder he had of his lost love.

Drawing in a deep, cleansing breath and releasing it with the memories, Pash stood from the table and took up the tablet.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

Jyoti slipped through the hall, gliding along the floor in gleaming white robes with graceful steps.

A small case was tucked under one hand, another artifact for the Shadow to file away within the vaults of the archives. The responsibilities of the Silver Shadows was broad, but they never strayed from their core mission of recovering (and sometimes destroying) items that could pose a threat to the general populous.

Early in the day, with no major functions occurring, the Great Hall was fairly empty save for a few Jedi about.

Not quite all Jedi, she noticed as she saw Tafo sitting by himself.

Matukai.

"Good morning," she called out to the man with a wave just as he was standing up from the table.

She wasn't sure if he would remember her. The first and only time their paths had crossed was at Ruusan, but it was a fleeting, indirect encounter as she had left the main group to fulfill a Shadow mission.

Since then, she had been looking for a chance to speak with him. As Echani (or playing as one) she had a keen interest in the Matukai for their rich Force tradition rooted in the martial arts. No doubt he had some valuable knowledge to impart to his Jedi counterparts.

[member="Pash Tafo"]

Pash Tafo

P
Hearing the greeting, Pash turned, unsure if it was directed at him. The voice was familiar, one he marked to remember. Jyoti Nooran was passing through the hall, he thanked the Force for the chance meeting. "Good morning, Master Nooran." Pash replied with a smile. The Echani Jedi master, Pash had learned since Ruusan, was a general and of the Shadow. She was a formidable member of the Order, and one with which the newly arrived Lothalian had hoped to become acquainted.

Taking up the borrowed datapad, Pash took several steps towards Jyoti and offered a small bow. his green and white Matukai robes settling around him. He noted the case tucked under the master's arm, but asked no questions. A Shadow's business was none of his own.

"I had hoped to introduce myself on the mission to Ruusan." He continued. "But there were more important tasks for all of us." His smile returned. "I am Pash Tafo. I follow the path of the Matukai." Pash didn't mean to insult Jyoti, she most likely had figured out what he was, but adding the latter part gave his introduction more substance.

-[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

She stopped and bowed in respect to her counterpart, then smiled at the man as she stood straight again.

"Jyoti Nooran. It's no problem, eventually, we would have made formal introductions, I'm sure."

He identified himself by his full name and Force organization. While he wore robes similar in style like she, their color and patterning were quite different for the norm of Jedi, robes usually stitched from something coarse and brown. However, they matched in their preference for physical weapons, an Echani foil hanging off her right hip.

Her silver eyes flickered from his face to the tablet in his hands for a few moments.

"The SJO is happy to have the Matukai among us. It's good for us to be exposed to different traditions to expand our own understanding of the Force. How has your time been with the Silver Jedi so far?"

[member="Pash Tafo"]

Pash Tafo

P
Master Nooran was hard to overlook walking the halls of the temple, as she did that day. Clad in white robes, with porcelain skin, platinum hair and silvery gaze, the Echani Jedi appeared almost celestial.

Pash nodded. "Thank you, it is a pleasure to finally meet you." His gaze fell to the weapon at her side, a curious departure from the iconic lightsabers that dangled from Jedi belts. But it was no mere profane blade at Jyoti's side. Among the martial arts Pash had mastered was that of the Echani, and though he had never seen the rare weapon before, he knew of the Echani Foil. His azure eyes lifted again to the Jedi's gaze.

"Thank you. I hope to learn from the Jedi tradition as well. I am settling in just fine, though I admit it is a bit different than what I am used to. But everyone is very kind and helpful."

Pash smiled. He did fell like an outsider, still learning the protocols and practices of the Jedi. But there were many among the Silver Jedi Order, including the rangers, who were not of the Jedi path.

"I hope my presence will benefit the Order. " The Matukai added.

-[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

"We always try to be there for our members," she said with a nod. "Our ethos revolves around community, trying to treat everyone like family."

Focus on maintaining a healthy community was one quality that set the Silver Order apart from other Jedi organizations. Strong bonds had allowed them to weather challenges that had broken other powers. It's what kept her returning, even if her militant stances put her more in line with other groups like the New Jedi Order.

Looking for some conversation, she took a seat at the table and set aside her box, motioning for Tafo to do the same.

"I think there will be many benefits to your presence here. If you have some time, then I could take questions you may have regarding the Silver Order or Jedi in general."

[member="Pash Tafo"]

Pash Tafo

P
Jyoti's comments on community and family struck a chord with Pash. It had been a long time since he could say he had either. Pash had never been part of a large group, the Matukai were scattered in tiny pockets, and but he, his family and Tara had been very close.

The master Jedi's invitation to sit and converse was most welcomed, and the newcomer nodded. "Yes, I would really appreciate it." Pash acknowledged, realizing the honor of having a notable leader such as Master Nooran offer him her time.

Pash settled in a seat next to Jyoti, placing the datapad on the table before him. His gaze lowered slightly, focusing on nothing in particular as he pondered the questions he might pose to the Echani Jedi.

"The Silver Jedi Order is not the only order of Jedis in the galaxy, what makes the Silvers different?" Philosophy, politics, practices, Pash understood there must be minor differences that separated the Jedi into various factions. He wanted to understand the Silver Order's identity, for it would become, in part, his own.

[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

"Good question," she replied with a nod. "I think the most striking difference between the Silver Order and other major organizations is our autonomy. Unlike the original Jedi Order of the Galactic Republic or the New Jedi Order of the Galactic Alliance, we answer to no government. The founders of the SJO had a falling out with their parent organizations, the Jedi Order and Republic, after they felt the groups had grown too corrupt and power hungry. They didn't like the Jedi being used as pawns for military adventures and political maneuvering, straying away from the ideals of the Jedi and the Republic. So to better honor their duties as Jedi, they split from the Republic to form a new independent order."

"Since then, the Jedi of the Silver Order have strived for a policy of non-intervention and respect of sovereignty. However, military action is sometimes unavoidable, especially in this tumultuous climate where the Sith operate in the open."

[member="Pash Tafo"]

Pash Tafo

P
Pash nodded slightly as Jyoti elaborated on the unique purpose of the Silver Jedi. The Echani master's answer not only satisfied the Matukai's curiosity, but assured him he had made the right decision seeking out that particular order. The concept of a self-directing organization, apart from the ties of temporal government that troubled the jedi through history, appealed to the independent warrior. That is, if that organization's bent was to follow that which was Light. Pash believed the Silver Jedi to possess that intent, from what he had witnessed of the Silvers he had met since arriving.

The Lothalian also acknowledged the fact that, sometimes, conflict was inevitable. It was into that necessary conflict that he and his family, as Matukai, had thrown themselves.

Pash's eyes darted only a moment to the banner overhead, before settling again on Jyoti's silvery gaze. "That makes sense. The Order has a noble mission. It's good to secure the freedom to act on the values of the order, and not that of any government, and to make the difficult choice to use force when those values are challenged." the Matukai Adept replied.

A small smile graced the man's lips. "Can I ask, how you came to become a Jedi?"

[member="Jyoti Nooran"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom