Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Long Overdue Follow-Up

Qyren finished putting away the clean laundry and stretched. The day was just getting started, but she was off to a good start. With a soft sigh, she checked the list for the day, selected another item on it, and went looking for the right supplies in their storage closet.

Her parents had gone into the city on one of their periodic shopping trips, leaving her under the watchful eye of their neighbor. Qyren would have been annoyed if she didn't know that avoiding slavers was a great reason to make sure someone knew where you were at all times. Still, if she expected to get anything done, she couldn't just hang around the house; her mother had forgotten they were out of soap, and she couldn't finish the cleaning without it.

She stopped by the neighbor's house to call in and let him know where she was going.

"Are you certain you don't want company?" he offered, but, though genuine, he seemed less concerned than her parents about letting her walk across town for some supplies. It had been many years since her kidnapping; it seemed unlikely that the slavers would return for her, especially since they didn't know her buyer had returned her to her parents. Still, rumors traveled; it was always better to be safe than sorry.

"Thank you, but I'll be fine," Qyren assured him, smiling faintly. "I'll be back within the hour."

He nodded and let her go. Not all of the adults in the village were as watchful of her as her parents and teacher were.

Here, in the safety of the village, Qyren was dressed almost like any other Twi'lek woman, though perhaps a bit more modestly. Her split-sided skirt came to her calves and her sleeveless midriff bearing top was cut high enough not to let much cleavage show. Other than that, however, she was the picture of any other Twi'lek girl on an errand, unusual skin color aside.

She stepped out of the hot sun and into the shaded interior of the store with some relief, providing a quick smile for the Twi'lek woman behind the counter.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Her name had turned up in the archives when they were given a proper scan. She had been found as a young girl in a slave market. A terrible fate for anyone but she had been lucky and the force favoured her. Due to this she had been set free by a passing jedi. Who of course had tried to bring her with him to the jedi academy, but her parents had refused.
Mantic sat in the public transport taking him to the remote village. He was going over what he knew about this [member="Qyren Leret"] who at some point had been given the chance to be trained as jedi. Maybe this was the fault of the order, that they lacked the authority to claim the force sensitives, like in the old times. But robbing parents of unwilling parents was not the way of a jedi. His traditional jedi garbs raised a few eyebrows but the jedi was not a common sight any longer and the clothes could be passed as a regular robe by many.

His colleague had done the right thing and had left the family alone. But naturally he had filed a report to the jedi order about the girl and what had transpired. The intentions were to return and check up on her but then the war happened. Things were forgotten or lost priority.

Now several years later an old archivist had dug up the file on the girl and alerted the council on that they were missing a few check ups.

[member="Qyren Leret"] had fallen on Mantics lot to follow up and so, as the transport landed he exited the shuttle together with the other passengers, mostly Twi'lek, and headed toward her address.

The air was brisk and it felt rejuvenating. As he passed a corner he noticed a young female Twi'lek passing by. He sensed something about her straight away and looked up. Her skin being that of purple there was no doubt.
Wrapping his robes closer around him he followed her frmo the distance for a short while, just to observe. Her parents were away it seemed and she trusted in her neighbors.
There was nothing out of the ordinary appearing as they moved through the small town and as she entered the shop Mantic decided to approach her. He would wait jst outside the shop and as she exited he would cough to gain her attention.

"Excuse me Miss. Do you have a moment?" he would ask with a low but steady voice.

It was a quick purchase, and Qyren thanked the woman and gave a cheerful good-bye in Ryl as she descended the steps to the street. She jerked, startled, when someone coughed as she hit the last step. Instinctively, she took a step to the side and turned to see who it was. The older human who leveled his gaze at her and asked for a moment of her time was not a familiar face. Her eyes swept over him once, quickly, taking in his attire and species, but she said nothing. In her peripheral vision, Qyren was aware that there were others in the store and passing by on the street that the man could have asked for help; why had he selected her?

Qyren cast a half-desperate glance at the Twi'lek woman behind the counter, but she was busy ringing out another customer. Another quick glance to side showed that although she and the human were attracting some passing attention from Twi'lek going by on the street, none were inclined to step in so long as it appeared to be a polite conversation. Although it was uncommon to see non-Twi'leks in the settlement, it wasn't unheard of; even with his unusual robes-- familiar unusual robes that Qyren couldn't quite place-- he didn't attract much of a second glance. Their village was rapidly growing into a town and served as a waypoint, at times, when travelers were crossing from one city to the next. He could have come in on a shuttle that day and just needed directions, but Qyren wished that he had asked someone else.

I should have brought the neighbor with me.

"Um," Qyren began in Basic, "Can I help you?" The offer made her stomach constrict.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Mantic nodded at her. She was indeed purple and it was a perplexing realisation. Yet she also emintaed a sense of alert. He had to be cautios.

"Do not be alarmed. I am not here to cause you any harm. On the contrary, I am here to ensure that you are alright." he started taking ot for granted that she would know who he was judging by his appearance. But as soon as he realized that was not the case he made a feint smile.

With a short bow he instead introduced himself.

"I am jedi knight Dorn. Perhaps you recall a colleague of mine who visited you in your childhood. While he is no longer among us the order is still concerned for your well being." he explained with alow voice.

"I want to speak with you about how you feel and determine if the force is still your ally. that is it, I am not here to force anything on you."

Mantic took a step back and opened his arm to show her that she was free to leave if she wished it.

[member="Qyren Leret"]

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Qyren hesitated, not sure whether to believe what the man was saying or not. He was right, though; his robes were similar to those of her Jedi savior so long ago. Although she had heard Jedi mentioned throughout her life, she couldn't recall if she had ever known what they wore or that they took interest in those they saved after returning them safely home. The fact that Master Dorn's information matched with what she knew allowed Qyren to relax her guard, if ever so slightly. A Jedi was not to be feared; their reputation was that of mediators and warriors who fought for the good of the galaxy. Although their stories had been tarnished somewhat of late between the many different Jedi factions and the distant happenings in the universe, Qyren knew little about that, and so her dominant perception of them was still positive. What stories she heard were always from her teacher or when she was at a gathering for the community; with the exception of sporadic thanks for their part in saving Qyren from the life of a slave, her parents never seemed to speak of them, confining their talk to things more local and less lofty than the pursuits of warriors who commanded unseen powers.

This went through Qyren's mind in a moment, and her less than intelligent response of "Oh" was followed by a hesitation. Why would he be interested in her wellbeing after all of this time? His colleague had saved her and returned her home, yes, but... he considered her an ally? Had something been lost in translation? Her Basic was sound, so perhaps it was his perception that was off. Did the Jedi consider all of their rescues to be future allies?

Her parents had taught her tact and manners, even if she often struggled to be a good hostess with guests. She knew what she ought to say or do in this circumstance and it was not to continue standing in the street in full view of everyone.

"Master Dorn," she hesitated, losing the will to continue holding his gaze. "May I invite you back to my home?"

Mantic felt a surge of loss in the woman as she seemed to hesitate on both what she was going to say and what she wanted to say.

Regardless, Mantic was not going to press her unless more then necessary. She, or rather her parents, had turned the orders offer down the last time and this was not an attempt to change her mind if she was not ready for it.
A stroke of sadness hit him as he realized that fact, but at least she seemed willing to talk.

"I would be honored to be your guest." he smiled and offered another short bow.

"Please lead the way."

[member="Qyren Leret"]

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Qyren nodded and turned to lead the way, keeping pace with her guest. Although she had questions, she kept silent on the trip home, trying to gather her thoughts as well as find a way to be a good hostess without her parents to fill the gaps. Qyren was not a talker; she hoped the Jedi had come with enough to say that it wouldn't require many attempts to spark conversation on her part.

The neighbor had been keeping an eye out for her, and he stepped up to the fence around his property

"Would you like something to eat or drink?" Qyren offered as she let him into her home. She was glad she had already begun her cleaning for the day; both parents would have been appalled to discover a guest had visited when the house was untidy. "We can speak in the living room, if you'd like."

She closed the door behind them, waiting for his response to her inquiries, then paused before she added, "I'm afraid I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your visit. I'm sorry."

Following [member="Qyren Leret"] through the village did not cause much fuzz. He stood out as human but it was not that uncommon. If anyone would have noticed them they did not question him at that time at least.
As they stepped inside the house he removed his hood and looked around. The comfort of a loving home always felt good. It was something he himself had never experienced, or at least not that he would remember since he had been taken away at a very young age himself. He cojuld not help but reflect on how his life would have been if his parents had decided in the same way as [member="Qyren Leret"] s.
But his role was another and fate, the force or perhaps the will of a jedi had determined his set course.

"Tea please." he repleid and motioned if they could take a seat at the dinner table.

"You nothing to apologize for miss." he continued. "Let me begin to illuminate you." Mantic pulled out a chair and made himself comfortable as he cleared his throat.

"I am not sure how much your parents have told you about your own past, but I hope and trust in that you are aware. Never the less let me take you back for the sake of this visit."

"When you were a youngling you were discovered by a jedi master who was passing by. You fate at that time was indeed a gruesome one. And you were lost to your family and brought to a market where you were to be sold." Mantic slowed down his voice. "Slavery is unfortunately a part of the galaxy even to this day. But in your case the force guided this master into your life and even though he could not help everyone at the site he decided to at least help you. He bought you and returned you to your parents." Mantic cleared his throat.

"You see, the jedi master had sensed the force in you. And he wished to take you with him to the jedi academy for training. You parents refused the offer and since they had almost just lost you and been given a second chance, their point of view was very understandable."

"the force can be a powerful ally, but also a dangerous tool if not properly mananged. So the jedi order took it on itself to check up on you and make sure that you would lead a normal life."

Mantic took a deep breath and his face went a little grim,

"Then the wars started. Our resources where spread thin and the man that once found you is no longer among us." Touching his forehead Mantic gave a moment for reflection before continuing.

"Now, the order found your file recently and has deemed it proper to pay you this visit to assure us about that everything is well. You are a grown up now. Are you content with your life?" he finished.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

[SIZE=9pt]Qyren had no reason to object to his request to sit in the dining room. In fact, it made it easier for her since she would then be able to see him while she prepared his tea. A smile flashed across her face as Master Dorn settled himself. He reminded her of an old storyteller gathering himself to tell a tale to children. It eased her discomfort somewhat. Her hands went through the motions of retrieving tea pot, tea, and the other necessary materials while Master Dorn began relating history to her. Initially, she nodded as he recounted her time in the pens and her rescue; she knew the story and it was long enough ago that other than a desire to avoid that fate, hearing it didn't bother her. She split her attention between her own preparation and the Master, devoting considerably more to the tea until the water was set to boil and all she could do was join Master Dorn while they waited. His revelation of her savior's reasoning froze her with her hand on the back of the chair.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Emerald eyes stared at him as he continued, and Qyren finally withdrew her chair and slowly sank into it, riveted on her visitor, eyes slightly widened with surprise and confusion. Although she absorbed his comments on the wars, her mind was still fixated on his revelation. The silence as the Jedi took a moment to reflect or pray for the dead gave her a moment to try to pull herself together.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]He sensed the Force in you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Are you content?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Qyren stared at him, speechless. It wasn't that she didn't understand or couldn't imagine what he said happening or being true. She comprehended it. Her mind was flooded with questions, and it so overwhelmed her that, for once, her silence was simply because she had no idea where to begin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Master Dorn…” Her hands slid into her lap as she searched for the words she needed, folding tightly over one another. “I’m sorry…. for your loss. I... I wasn’t aware of the reasons why he saved me. My parents… While they may have known…" She stopped, frustrated, and finished quietly with, "I didn’t. I’m afraid I don’t even know if I have enough of the Force to be what your ally thought I could be. I can't think of a time when I displayed... those talents.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Alexander’s face as his hood had been blown aside flashed into her mind and was followed with similar images: her rolling out of harm’s way as the disruptor fired, her irrational need to warn a neighboring town just before the raiders came. Her gaze slid from his, her brow knit in confusion.[/SIZE]

Mantic remained a calm face as [member="Qyren Leret"] explained the situation from her point of view.
It was no surprise to him that the parents had kept her force affinity a secret. Doing the opposite was often a dangerous thing. That was why the order by ancient tradition over took caring for those children early on. Just like they had with himself.

But times were shifting, chaos roamed the galaxy and there were a myriad of organisations more or less similair with the jedi order claiming their right to do what they believe the right thing. The jedi order's authority had long since been diminished on that area.

But it did not mean that knights like Mantic did not try to restore, what in their eyes was an error. Albeit only in a more subtle form.

He leaned forward placing his elbows on the table.

"You must be feeling many things right now. I am sorry that you did not know, your parents acted out of love and caution. They are not to blame." this was important to mention right now. He wanted to help her avoid any soar feelings toward her parents.

"Know that if you had gone with the jedi Master you would have shared his fate, such is the bond between a master and the padawan. But you did not, and now you live." he continued and leaned back taking a sip from the hot tea. He liked it and drank some more, while peering over the edge of the cup at [member="Qyren Leret"] to observe her for any special reactions.

"Life is a precious gift, although the force sometimes show this in strange ways. While I had hoped that this was not a surprise to you I must ask you that question again. Are you content with your life? Will you be happy here?" Mantic put down the cup on the table and waited.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

[SIZE=9pt]She did not relish the thought of death, even in the name of a cause. Master Dorn was honest with her at least. To be a Jedi was to court death with every mission, every battle, every decision to accept a bond with someone. Given that, she found it little wonder that Jedi had a reputation for being emotionally distant. The mystery was the Master-Padawan relationship, but she had no answers for that because she had no knowledge of it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"I am happy." It was true. She loved her family and her life. Though it could be boring at times, though she often longed for the experience of travel and other worlds, she was wise enough to know that sometimes wishing for adventure was not wise. If she left, there might come a day she wished for her peaceful current life instead.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Might. There is no guarantee I would not be happier elsewhere. It just... I feel no compulsion, no sign that this must be done. Does that mean I should stay? Was that the Force guiding my actions all along, or does there come a time when it truly is our free will to make a choice, right or wrong, and the Force refuses to influence us?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Would I leave my parents with no child after they tried to protect me from this very fate?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]No. But...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Alexander came to mind again. What good could she do if she did choose to hone that awareness?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Qyren turned her face away. Occasionally knowing that something is wrong, if that was as she thought a manifestation of her Force sensitivity, wasn't really useful for much. It came and went as it willed; how could one hone that?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Qyren met Master Dorn's eyes, recognizing compassion but also a shrewd observation otherwise belied by his words. He wouldn't push her to a decision, but if she said she would go, he would be pleased with that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]She opened her mouth to speak and then stopped.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]"I need time to think. I'm sorry, Master Dorn." The decision was too large to make so spur of the moment. Qyren tried to ignore the voice in her head that said staying here should have been easy if that was all she wanted. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]It isn't all I want, but I cannot have both.[/SIZE]

There was a storm of thoughts and emotions in the young woman as she pondered about what he had just told her, what he had just offered her.

He sensed it but let it be. This was her decission and her life. That was the way of the order these days.
There was a risk involved with leaving her be of course. The temptations to use her power for own gain, if she ever figured out how to manipulate the force would not he small.

He nodded at her.

"Well, it will be good to go back to report that you are feeling well [member="Qyren Leret"] - and I believe your parents will rejoice at this decission should you choose to tell them about my visit." Mantic took the last sip of the tea and rose to prepare to leave.

"Be mindful on your feelings miss and remember that you will always have to guard yourself more against such emotions like jelousy or contempt. They will be tempting to follow for you but to do so will only bring more suffering to yourself and those you love."

Mantic walked over to the door and put up the hood once more, then turned his head.

"Whatever you think or hear about yourself, remember that you have a gift. If you ever change your mind, the jedi order will have its door open to you on Ossus."

He then touched the panel on the side of the door and it opened up. He made a short bow and dissapeared out into the streets again.

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Qyren's face reflected her internal turmoil and indecision. Her lips parted, a suggestion that she might respond to Master Dorn's parting comment, but nothing passed her lips before he exited as peacefully, as calmly, as he had come. She knew what he meant, understood the wisdom in his words though she doubted that anyone would try to tempt her. Had her emotions tended toward what he had mentioned? Not particularly, but even Qyren had had her moments.

She had asked for time to think, and she would take it. There was no reason for her to believe that she would choose to leave, but it was an option where it hadn't been before. If she left Aikhibba, there was a place she could go, would go, must go if she wanted to explore all that she could potentially do. How she would get to Ossus without a guide or someone to protect her from the less well-meaning denizens of the universe, though...

She wished he could stay in town, just a little longer, so that she could seek him out, ask him the things she needed to ask at her own pace, but the lives of Jedi Knights were busy ones; she was not the only Force sensitive he had to seek out and invite to join their Order.

Stubborn decision swept over her unexpectedly. Qyren thrust herself from her chair, crossed the space between herself and the door in a few swift steps, and passed into the street. Master Dorn was not yet out of sight, walking sedately away from her one block at a time.

Qyren ran after him, desperation fueling her, and stopped only when she had passed him slightly so as to be within his line of sight. She gestured for him to stop by holding out a hand that fell just short of touching him, not willing to cause discomfort or offense by crossing that boundary.

"Will you wait until this evening for an answer?" She was slightly short of breath, but she looked up at him intently as she stood, tall and straight, before him. "Please."

Walking through the streets of the small town Mantic felt the calm nature of this settlement. A force sensitive just might grow up her and have enough moments of peace and solitude to not be touched by the dark side he convinced himself. But when he heard her voice again he could not help but feel joy.

He turned and gave a warm smile.

" [member="Qyren Leret"] - I will find a room in the local tavern we passed on our way to your house. Take the evening to contemplate and if you wish to dwell deeper into the ways of a jedi - you will find me there." he nodded and fell silent to avoid affect her even more.

He instead encouraged for her to return to her house and do as he suggested. While trying not to act like one Mantic had the habit of behaving like a tutor and instructor. It was a trait hard to ignore for him after all those years as teacher in the jedi temple.

[SIZE=9pt][member="Mantic Dorn"][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Relief washed through her. A chance to think with a ready source of answers available if she found she had questions that needed answering.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Yes, Master Dorn,” she replied. “I will find you there once I have made my decision.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]She inclined her head in a show of thanks and respect, then turned and walked back down the street toward her home. The chores left to her might not be done when her parents got home, but they would forgive her. Her contemplation was the most important focus for today; if her parents got home before she made her decision, they might find it became the most important focus for them as well.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom