Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Doctor Learns to Fight

Hazel Zanteres

The Angel/Devil on your Shoulder
Monastery
Field East of Sanctuary
It had been about a week since [member="Mishel Ren"] had last visited Monastery. It was where the young woman had given Hazel her gift, a thank you for what the Hapan had done for her since the fateful day on Mustafar. To say it surprised Hazel would be an understatement, especially so when it was revealed to be a lightsaber. One the young Ren had crafted herself, specifically for her. From there the two spent time catching up, learning what the other had been up to and it eventually ended up evolving into a heart to heart, where Hazel finally told Mishel about her illness and the recent developments that had mutated it. By the time she had to leave though, things were back in good spirits, and the younger woman left with an offer to Hazel to visit her shack sometime.

Which had left Hazel with a problem, a pretty major one. She didn't know how to use a lightsaber. Sure she had been amongst Jedi for a period of time, though never specifically learning that side of things. And there had been a number of Jedi she had fought alongside with during her battle medic days. But it meant nothing when it came to actually handling one, and Hazel was the type that took precautions, especially around something as dangerous as a lightsaber.

Hazel had thought to ask Bethany initially, but she remembered the Jedi Master didn't make use of one. So she sent a message to Nylea, figuring that if she was going to ask someone to help train her, might as well make it an Echani.

So after a conversation with the woman, Hazel found herself east of Sanctuary waiting for the Echani woman to arrive. The Hapan had picked a location some distance away from the building, but at the same time close enough if one of them needed medical aid. It was a nice open field, just by a forest. Hazel was sitting at the treeline, back against a tree with a bag beside her, full of provisions such as water and food if needed.

It was also a warm day, the sun was shining and there was barely a cloud in the sky. This however meant that Hazel couldn't keep herself covered up, despite how much she'd like to, she knew it would just make these next however many hours much worse if she tried to remain in her usual attire. So instead, she was wearing something akin to what the other students would wear. The usual ensemble of trouser and a tunic, though the shirt was short sleeved, revealing the numerous scars that Hazel had over her arms.

[member="Nylea Apollodor"]​

When Hazel had reached out to her to ask to be trained in the use of lightsabers, Nylea was definitely surprised. There were many Jedi among the Lotus who outranked her and although they had met on multiple occassions she figured she was involved in too many other things to think about her when it came to any kind of Jedi business. The doctor's incredibly busy lifestyle also passed the Echani's mind, making it even more surprising. Still, she was nothing but honored and promptly accepted, gladly willing to impart whatever she knew. If you asked her what she was best at she would answer with bladework without hesitation, considering it to be her greatest skill. Perhaps the fact she was of Echani descent had also been a factor in the decision, but she wasn't going to ask. What made her a little anxious however was the fact she had never taught anyone before, making this the first time. Nylea found it akward to use the word 'student' and just referred to it as training instead, hoping the teaching itself wouldn't be as awkward.

The place they had agreed to meet at was a place that looked stunning to her, although most places on Monastery were able to take her breath away. It was completely different from Coruscant and even though she had to think of the people she provided aid to back when she lived there she also realized they weren't going to be able to depend on her forever. What she was doing now had greater effect than ever before and it was something very satisfying. The sun was out, causing the woman to dress lightly. It would also not get in the way of her movement, something imperative when practicing bladework.

As Nylea arrived she saw that Hazel was already there, sitting against a tree. She smiled and waved as she approached, putting a slight zip in her step. "I hope I'm not late!" the silver-haired woman said as she found shelter in the shade for a moment. "I have to admit, I have never actually taught anyone before. In a way I'm learning myself today, so I hope you are patient with me." She double checked if her saber was clipped to her belt as she placed her hand on it, nodding internally to confirm she didn't forget to bring it. The sheer awkwardness of forgetting her lightsaber would've been something she wasn't ready to deal with, already feeling a bit nervous as it was. "Well, I'm ready when you are."

[member="Hazel Zanteres"]

Hazel Zanteres

The day was practically open for Hazel. She had made it a point to not set any lectures she was intending today, which wasn't too much of a surprise given her teaching was never usually on a set schedule. That and she had checked to see if there was any off-world appointments, but those were also clear of, at least for a few days.

And she was going to take full advantage of that.

While waiting for Nylea, Hazel looked down at her arms, at the scars that decorated them. Since going to Maena to see Irajah, to run some tests on her disease and the subsequent reveal of her dwindling healing, it had steadily got worse. Though that was her own doing. Despite her new condition, Hazel couldn't not keep helping whether it was to provide simple aid or her actual Force Healing. But each time the latter had been used, the scars that were once hidden were now being revealed, and gradually returning to their original state.

Hazel was broken from her throats when she heard a familair voice suddenly calling out. The Hapan looked up to see the Echani approaching.

"Nah, you're on time." She said, returning the wave before slowly standing up. "And indeed, I hope you don't mind me asking this of you. I figured it would a learning experience for us both."

"Well, do you know where exactly we should start?" Hazel asked, hand reaching to her belt and grabbing her lightsaber. She was still hesitant to actually use the weapon, mainly out of fear that she would end up damaging it after Mishel had spent her time on crafting it. But it did occur to her that she would've probably approve of her learning how to use it.

"How about the basics? I mean I don't even know how you should properly hold it." The Hapan let out a sheepish chuckle at that fact.

[member="Nylea Apollodor"]​

Nylea gave Hazel a shy laugh and looked down for a moment. "Good to hear! I hate being late. It only leads to bad things." She unclipped her saber and twirled around the hilt for a moment, something she often did absent-mindedly. It kept her calm and focussed and gave her something to do while talking to not get distracted, which happened to her easily. "It's my pleasure! Bladework is my greatest passion, it's something that requires utmost concentration. I need that. And... being an Echani who was born and raised on Eshan it was hard to avoid." She watched as the doctor stood up, silver eyes scanning over her as she saw a multitude of scars on her skin. She wondered if those were marks that were gained on battlefields, but not knowing too much about Hazel's past she decided to stay respectful and not bring it up, at least for now. "I'm looking forward to... I guess you could call it teaching. Teaching, you."

The young woman pursed her lips and nodded in an impressed fashion when the blonde took hold of her lightsaber. "I must say, your lightsaber is very nice. You don't see ones with that level of quality and detail very often." Her own saber perhaps wasn't as detailed, but that fact mattered little to her. It was a symbol of change, a reminder that she was freed from the Dark Side. She had made it with the coaching of a Jedi Master, the crystal at the core of the hilt one she had found and focussed herself.

She watched as Hazel held the hilt somewhat awkwardly and chuckled, walking over to stand to the side of her. "Here, hold it like this." Her pale hand carefully took hold of her arm as she shifted it, her other hand shifting the other woman's back a slight bit. "Since you're right-handed, keep your left leg in front. Since I am left-handed I will do the opposite, so it might be smart to tell you before you start copying me." She took a few steps to the side and ignited her lightsaber, revealing the silver blade as it spat out of the hilt. "The stance you're in is the basis for most of your movement." As an example Nylea made a simple but fast and fluid slashing motion while taking a step forward. At the end of the slash she had returned to the stance she started out in. "Let's take it easy for now. Try to do what I did, but at your own speed. Put the focus on returning to how you're standing right now after you have taken the step."

Hazel Zanteres

A small smile appeared on Hazel's face when Nylea commented on her lightsaber. It brought forth some of the Hapan's happiest memories, certainly the warmest.

"Thank you. It was crafted for me by someone quite dear to me." She said, her thoughts turning to Mishel and the inevitably concern she always felt when the young Ren was away somewhere in the galaxy, likely putting herself in danger in one scenario or another.

Hazel raised a slight eyebrow as the Echani moved in close, to her side and guiding her arm and altering posture. She did as instructed, placing her left leg just in front and held her hand correctly. The Hazel couldn't help but smirk slightly, as it reminded her of several moments in her past. Years ago when her old squadmates were trying to teach her how to shoot a gun. She had been adamant that she'd never do it, but they had insisted just in case. Especially so if she ended up needing to use a stun weapon, or something along those lines.

Ultimately though it meant she adapted to Nylea's instructions with ease.

She watched closely as the Echani moved with elegance, even from a simple motion with the lightsaber. She had always been amazed to watch how someone wielded the weapon. Back when she was first learning to use Healing, she would on occasion go and watch the younglings learn with their training versions. But the one in her hands right now was very real, and as such Hazel took a deep breath before she activated it. It's light gold-copper blade igniting a split second later.

As the blade hummed, Hazel could feel the calming effect of the crystal wash over her; focusing her mind. Recalling Nylea's simple movements, Hazel copied them moving forwards a step and slashing with the lightsaber. It was fairly rigid in flow, evident to the fact she was very much wary about handling the dangerous weapon. Nonetheless, she then slipped back into the stance before, taking a moment to correct her footing upon realizing it was a bit out of place.

"Like that?"

[member="Nylea Apollodor"]

Nylea watched intently, registering every bit of movement as the doctor sought to mimic what she did before. It was a tiny bit stiff, perhaps because of how careful she was around the blade, and her footing wasn't immediately on point, but for a first time it was definitely a good start. "That's the idea!" The Echani recalled her blade for a moment and walked over. She felt the calming effect the saber crystal had on Hazel, something that would definitely help her. "Things like footwork will come to you naturally with enough practice, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just keep doing it and you'll get it down in no time." A smile and a nod followed the words, looking to instill a bit of confidence. That wasn't without reason.

"I did notice you are very wary of the saber's blade. That's understandable, it's a real weapon, but try to let the Force worry about that. I sense you haven't been fully trained in the Force, but you do have a connection. Listen to it, let it guide you." Nylea's vision went black as she closed her eyes. After a deep breath she continued. "Feel the Force. It's there, all around you, but you know that. It's your sixth sense, the one that is connected to the crystal. Listen to it and you will know where the blade is at all times." With her eyes still closed the young woman took a step to the side and reignited her lightsaber. Another deep breath later she made multiple slashing motions, all done with speed and grace. It started with the same motion she did before, then quickly transitioned it into a spinning slash, finishing the combination of moves with a stabbing manveuver. "Trust the Force and trust your own hand. Then you will strike nothing you do not want to strike."

Hazel Zanteres

Hazel smiled and gave Nylea small nod in response to her feedback. The Hapan had always been very methodical in the past, with how she went about learning. It was something crucial to her medical studies years ago, drilled into her during that time and remained a constant for everything else she did. The Echani's words did have its intended effect, giving the Hapan a boost of confidence in a subject she was probably the furthest from knowing.

Again she watched as Nylea moved with her lightsaber, starting with the inital slash and added several more to it, then suddenly shifted into a spinning one with a final forwards stab to finish the maneuver. There was a slight gulp from Hazel, but she didn't let it deter her and she closed her eyes. She mentally recited what Nylea said, focusing on the Force and the added effect of the crystal assisted in that. Albeit it still resulted in it taking a couple tries. Hazel moved forwards with the multiple slashing motions, but she hesitated when about to do the spin. After about the third attempt the Hapan successfully completed the series of movements. Each time she could feel the beginning of the Force helping to guide her hand.

Stepping back into the initial stance, she looked over at the Echani.

"Yeah, I was taught how to heal many years ago. Although that was the only thing I learned, beyond that it wasn't permitted."

As Nylea watched Hazel move she was surpised and impressed. The sequence of movements were meant as a demonstration, but it seemed the doctor had enough confidence to try it herself. The first time around the Echani felt the hesitation, but let her do things at her own pace. "Take your time. We have all day, and many days after to practice," she said to her, "the progress you're making already is very impressive." She knew how tough it could be to put trust in something when potential danger was involved, so the fact that with every attempt her movements got more and more fluid and seamless was something that put a smile on the woman's face.

The third attempt contained the spinning motion, which prompted Nylea to nod and clap. "Well done! You're a natural, it seems," she said as she approached Hazel. There definitely were little bits within her movement that weren't completely perfect, something most Echani were able to pick up on with ease, but this was day one. There was no need to overwhelm the blonde with information and critique points, instead she would keep it at one thing at a time. "You're getting better with every try, that's good."

Hazel then went to mention her limited Force training. It was an odd thing, to see someone only having received training in a single thing, but Nylea figured it had its reasons. "Hm, you don't hear that everyday. Seems like an interesting story, if you're willing to tell it." She didn't want to push it, but there was some curiosity. "When you want to move to something different or take a break, let me know."

Hazel Zanteres

She had always taken to learning new things with ease, along with several other things at the same time. It was a natural talent, or her mother use to jokingly say that back when she was younger and had decided she wanted to tackle as many medical degrees as possible. The calming assistance from the crystal also played a factor in how quickly the Hapan seemed to get use to having a dangerous weapon in hand.

Hazel was not just putting her trust in the crystal inside, but the who crafted it as well.

She continued practicing what Nylea had shown several more times over the course of next thirty minutes, until inevitably building up a sweat under the blaring sun high above.
"All right, I think it's time-" Hazel took a breath inbetween, "to have a break." She finished with a chuckle, deactivating her lightsaber.

The Hapan walked under the shade of the trees, where she had placed the bag. Prying it open, Hazel pulled out two bottles of water, offering one to Nylea and throwing it to the Echani if she accepted, otherwise she placed it back within the bag.

"Being taught how to heal was...born from necessity." She began, removing the cap and taking a healthy sip of the water. "I had caught the interest of the Republic back then, and it came as no surprise that Jedi Order at the time eventually approached me too. Although I was surprised to learn I was even sensitive to the Force, and they had in fact offered to teach me in general at first..."

When Hazel called for a break a good amount of time had passed. While she practiced Nylea didn't still either, instead she was inspired by the doctor's training to practice her regular routine in the meantime. She kept a close eye on Hazel however, watching her improve at a rapid pace. "I would say you've earned it," the echani answered a little bit tongue-in-cheek as she put her own lightsaber back to sleep, the somewhat jokey tone referring to the implication of her non-existant authority over the other. "I have to watch out, before I know it you'll outclass me."

The shade provided by the treeline was a welcome refuge from the sun and when Nylea was offered a bottle of water she happily accepted it. She went to sit down against a tree as she opened it, putting it to her mouth and letting the cool liquid go down her throat. In the meantime she listened to what the blonde had to say, talking about the Republic days, even mentioning the Jedi order. "Finding out you're one in... billions, it really takes you aback. Things kind of fall into place in a weird way, although the way I found out about it was not a particularly happy memory." Noticing herself drift off towards another topic the pale woman snapped herself back, saving that particular part for later. "But, uh, I suppose the necessity was there because it was wartime? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much here, I'm a curious person." She took another sip of the bottle before putting the cap back on and setting it down on the grass. It immediately fell due to the ground not being flat enough, but she couldn't be bothered to try it again and simply left it there.

"So," the woman continued, "What was the reason you weren't fully trained? It doesn't seem to happen often that a Force sensitive is only given training in one particular thing." She wasn't particularly sure if such a thing was done in different situations as well, having no formal Jedi training apart from the two years she had learned about the Light from a Jedi Master back on Coruscant. During that time the Nylea that roamed the galaxy today was shaped, built up from the pieces of the broken her of the past.

Hazel Zanteres

Hazel took up a similiar position as Nylea, settling up against the tree huddled comfortable under the shade it provided. She had chuckled at the notion joking as it was, that she'd ever outclass an Echani at combat.

She listened as Nylea seemed to drift off towards something else, but quickly caught herself before going any further. Much like the Echani, Hazel was naturally curious but she knew well enough not to bring it up if it was something the other person didn't want to mention. She flinched slightly at the mention of 'wartime', the circumstances back then did end having an odd way of connecting up within quick succession.

"In part it was due to the impending war, but it was mainly because I personally needed it." Hazel bit her lip slightly, debating silently on what to say and how much. After another sip of her water, she finally continued. "I have an illness, one that was originally taken care of by medicine. But that had its own repercussions. So learning how to use the Force to heal was a breath of fresh air almost, an option presented to me given I could actually use the Force. Though it also helped that it went hand in hand with the fact I was already studying to be a doctor." For years it had occured to her, thinking on the 'maybe' of what would've happened if she never ended up being sensitive to the Force. "I learned with the Jedi inbetween studying at university, took a few years but I eventually succeeded in both. But then, of course it wasn't long after that, that the war broke out and I ended up joining their Medical Corp."

Hazel picked up her lightsaber again, feeling it's calming presence as she rolled it in her hand slightly. There had been times in the past when she had wondered about being fully trained, but there had been obstacles in her way at the time.

"In terms of being fully trained? It was never really on the cards for me. Too many things were happening for me to just uplift everything and become a Jedi full-time. I was too old, busy with my other studies and so on."

When Nylea noticed [member="Hazel Zanteres"] slightly flinching at her mentioning of the word 'wartime' she didn't speak up, but kept it in mind. Not willing to bring back any unpleasant memories for no reason she decided to keep the word and any similar ones out of her speech for now. The doctor then talked about her illness and the need to learn to connect with the Force to help remedy it. The echani had never heard of such a thing before and assumed it is was a very rare affliction. She made an impressed face at Hazel as she explained that she received the training alongside studying at university. The story ended at war breaking out, to which she slightly nodded. "That explains why you're such a quick learner. Having both the pressure of university and, partial at least, Jedi training must have been tough." The bottle of water was picked up off the ground and she took a sip before continuing. "So, your connection to the Force keeps your illness at bay? I keep learning new things about the Force, I'm starting to think it can do anything."

The explanation that was given why Hazel did not receive full training was one that made sense to Nylea. It seemed there was a lot of pressure on her already, which she couldn't simply toss off of her shoulders. "Those kind of things always make think. What if the fact you were Force sensitive was discovered earlier? Your life could've been completely different. Whether that would have been for the better or not is just yet another question." She let some silence fall. The pale woman was about to mention the fact that in her case that was a different story, it most definitely would have been for the better, she was sure of that, but wasn't entirely sure whether saying that was something she wanted to do. When she continued she had decided on leaving it behind for now. "The tiniest decisions can shape your life in a life-altering way, and there is no way of knowing beforehand. I think I can safely say that if I had listened to my mother at age fourteen and stayed home sick for bladework practice that one day I wouldn't be here right now."

Hazel Zanteres

She let out a good-natured laugh at the mention of her academic habits.

"Everyone thought I was crazy when I practically chose every medical degree under the sun. There were a few I couldn't take on because the university essentially didn't allow it. I wanted to learn everything so I could help as many people as possible. Then the Jedi approached me and that revelation nearly threw things off kilter completely. But in the end I managed to get all my intended degrees." Hazel paused briefly to take another sip. "Albeit, some did end up just barely being passing grades." She admitted with a chuckle, a rather sheepish look on her face.

It had ultimately stemmed from the incident with the Hutt, and to an extent the other incident that occured when she was much younger. They had both instilled a notion in the Hapan to never stay still, that she could always do better if she kept moving and taking action to help those in need. Rather than feeling helpless and just sitting on her arse hoping someone else would take on the problems.

Hazel nodded with understanding, having had the same conversation in her head as Nylea was having right now. There had been countless times when the Hapan had second guessed things, thought on what might have happened differently, what could've been the result if something else had happened. But like those times before, her mother's words were soon ringing in her ears, bringing a smile to Hazel's face.

"I know that feeling well, had a few instances in my past where I did nothing but think along that line. My mother gave me one of the greatest bits of advice during that time. She said, 'Don't ever allow yourself to think on the maybes too much, otherwise you'll find yourself falling into a loop that you won't be able to easy walk away from.'" The Hapan's gaze seemed to wander away, falling upon a random bit of their surroundings as she thought back to those times years ago. "I could say the same in a way. Certain things happened that can't be changed, but I always did wonder if my mother had been a bit more attentive at the time, I wouldn't have winded up in the situation like I did."

"Talk about being driven, that's insane." Growing up, Nylea definitely cared about doing well and making the most out of her education, but she never pressured herself nearly as much as Hazel had done. "Lightsaber training must be a piece of cake, then!" She chuckled at the doctor's sheepish look, entertained by the sight. She definitely understood the reason why she was added to the Council of Elders now. "The Lotus is very lucky to have you, that's for sure."

What Hazel said about thinking too much on one thing was most definitely true. It was hard to not get lost in such a train of thought, but in the end where you stood was where you had to go from. Dwelling on the past wasn't going to get you any further. "The past was rough, but I learned a lot about myself. All I can do is use that to be the best person I can be." The echani looked down towards the grass for a moment, running her hand over it. "I wish I did stay home, but there isn't much I can do about that now. At least I can say I ended up in a wonderful place in the end." Making the best of things, that's all Nylea could do. "The Lotus have given me a second chance, something I will never forget."

The woman slowly stood up, looking out across the field. She was hoping to skip over her story, at least for now. "Should we continue, or do you want to take another moment first?" She grasped her lightsaber and walked back out into the sun before looking back at Hazel. "If so, I can practice on my own for a bit. I'm itching to get going again."

Hazel Zanteres

The Hapan's laugh returned with Nylea's words. It had most certainly been insane to tackle so many things at once, but Hazel had always been one to just absorb and excel at her studies. It had helped that her university studies came after a period of her life where she was determined to actually make something of herself, learn everything she could so she can get out in the galaxy and make a change.

Lo and behold, it took roughly eleven years for the Hapan to finally 'settle' anything and do some actual good as a doctor. Not to say there wasn't at least some of that during her time as a battle medic, but it was certainly ugly no matter what battlefield it was.

"Honestly, I feel lucky that the Lotus; and in extension Bethany found me. They've given me a purpose, something I had ultimately lacked after everything was over."

After stepping away from the war in the wake of Corellia breaking, Hazel had at the time, been at a loss with what to do next. She had focused on caring for her family and friends that had managed to survive. But after that, the Hapan had simply resigned to just wandering. Sure, returning to the battlefield was a possibility, but after learning her squad had perished on Coruscant had certainly put a damper on that.

"I think I'll take another moment." She said, a smile on her face. "Plus I do want to see how an Echani moves with a lightsaber. Haven't ever had a chance to really watch before."

It seemed Nylea and Hazel had found a similar thing within the Lotus; purpose, in one way or another. Where it seemed that Hazel had to find the place where she could truly settle as a doctor, Nylea was aimlessly darting around Coruscant trying to change something she couldn't change on her own. For the echani it was like she had finally found the place to find true redemption after her turn to the Light. Making that change and leaving behind the Dark side was no easy road, but it was not supposed to be.

The silver-haired woman nodded when the doctor mentioned taking a bit of a longer break. After twirling around the hilt for a moment she ignited her lightsaber, taking her salute stance. "I suppose you have a front row seat here. I will do my best to entertain you." The comment was followed by a chuckle as she cracked her neck. A fluid motion forward started off her combination of movements, her silver blade cutting through the air in exactly the ways its wielder wanted it to. The lightsaber was an extension of Nylea herself, just like she was taught back on Eshan from a young age. Jumping and spinning slashes were only a part of her chained movements, every maneuver smoothly transitioning into the next. It was one of the few things she was able to keep her hyperfocus on and was a way to straighten out her often scattered concentration.

After completing her regular training routine the woman looked over to Hazel as she once again retracted the blade of her weapon into its hilt. "Was it like you expected, or are you left wanting?" She let out a small laugh, looking up to the sky for a moment. "I must say, this place is better for training than any place I used back on Coruscant. Lots of space and fresh air."

Hazel Zanteres

Hazel watched as Nylea went about training. I was fascinating to see the little things that moved in the Echani's body, especially right before she began. The moment Nylea had entered into her stance, it was like the woman's entire being had shifted to solely focus on the matter at hand. Hazel had seen Echani train before, there had been a couple younglings and padawans back when she had been learning.

She admittedly felt jealous a times, watching the other students as they trained with the Force as a whole. Whereas she was simply relegated to just one side of it. But that had been a long time ago now, and she had gotten over it as she matured. Especially given the fact what she was taught had saved her life, and still did to this day.

Returning her attention to Nylea in its fullest, she watched as she moved with elegance between the different patterns. It was incredibly difficult to pick out when he part started and ended, with how smoothly Nylea moved. Once the Echani was finished, Hazel gave her a brief round of applause.

"That was fantastic, but I suppose that's no surprise coming from you." She said with a smile. Hazel had researched the Echani in the past, and it truly wasn't a shock to see Nylea's prowess with a blade. Her kind after all were quite combat-focused and very studious when it came to training. "And dare I say, it very much inspired me." WIth that, the Hapan stood up and rejoined Nylea out of the tree's shade.

"Mhm, it's indeed quite perfect. The Order struck out lucky with Monastery, and if I recall correctly it took a while for Sanctuary to be built because they didn't want to disturb the land too much with the building."

Hazel transitioned back into training rather easily, returning to the moves Nylea had initially shown her. They continued like this for a while longer, adding small additional moves every now and then. What became apparent however, was as the Hapan grew increasingly comfortable with the weapon, her swings were becoming a lot more faster. It was at that point, a realization occured to Hazel and she stopped.

"I just remembered. Mishel; the one who crafted the saber for me, she said that a couple of the parts would benefit when in use." Hazel paused, thinking over what the young woman had told her when she first received the lightsaber. There was the Kasha crystal that helped calm her mind, but there was also a couple others. "One of the crystals; Rubat I think, was used. She said it would help with quicker attacks. Other than that...I think she mentioned a fencing emitter?"

Nylea has to blush a little and looked away as the compliment was sent her way. While growing up she was among other echani, meaning that even if she was a skilled bladeswoman it simply was a way of life. One didn't expect compliments or a pat on the back, but that was different here. It felt odd, but it was not bad per se. "I try my best. It was the one thing that was always with me, so it provides me with a sense of comfort whenever I practice. I'm glad it was inspiring." She brushed away a strand of hair that was in her face while chuckling shyly. "Once you are comfortable enough we should start doing spars. That is when you really start getting better, it's crazy how much you can learn from it!" There was a spark of excitement in the echani's voice. She was clearly passionate about the art and was always happy to talk about it.

Hazel joined Nylea once more and they quickly went back to continuing their practice. The pale-skinned woman had to smile at the rapid progress, and it didn't fade throughout the session. Watching the strikes become faster and more precise was a good sight to her. The doctor then suddenly stopped, and started talking about the lightsaber she used. She spoke of multiple components that were used in its creation, to which Nylea nodded. "Rubat crystals are very effective for when very precise and quick strikes are needed, which often is in close quarters like when facing another bladesman. It helps create a sharper and more defined blade, which makes it easier to track. That in turns helps with being able to strike faster." The silver-haired woman had done a lot of research behind lightsabers, their components, and their crystals. She had built one of herself as well, and had often taken apart and reassembled the one she carried before the one she had now. For moments like these, the wealth of information was extremely helpful. "The fencing emitter is one of the two types of emitters you will see most, alongside the deflection emitter. Where the deflection emitter is better at deflecting blaster shots and the like, the fencing emitter works better in melee combat. My own lightsaber also has a fencing emitter."

Hazel Zanteres

She nodded in understanding, knowing well how useful having such a comfort was.

"I know the feeling, back before I learned healing it was books. I was always surrounded by time, whether it was for study or leisure - though often enough the latter always took the backburner." The Hapan paused as she reminisced. "Then I was taught by the Jedi and was just simply fascinated with how the healing interacted with people, creatures, plants and so on." There was a point where she had examined herself, seeing how the Force aid in keeping her body healthy against her illness.

She listened as Nylea elaborated further on the parts she had brought up, nodding here and there. The crystal made sense of things, as she had felt the ease of swinging the lightsaber in quick and swift movements. Her eyes had remained on the blade at all times, moving in sync with it.

Though now she was more interested in the fencing emitter, they had yet to test that component out.

"Personally I feel up for some sparring. Learning how to swing and move the weapon is one thing, but I need to know how to act when facing against an opponent."

Hazel stepped away then turned to face Nylea, a smile on her face.

"So, what's first on the agenda? Defence perhaps?" She asked.

Originally, Nylea did not expect to do any sparring today. Hazel had progressed so much more than she had expected however, which led her to nod at the doctor's wish. She was ready. "A good defense is important. Starting there is a fine idea." After twirling her saber she put it to sleep, then let it float with the Force. Parts moved and it came apart for a moment until a clicking sound was heard, at which point the echani put it back together. She seemed satisfied after awakening the blade once more, then turned to Hazel. "I have set my lightsaber into its training mode, just in case anything happens. I would hate to accidently do anything to you, I have seen some nasty cuts from accidents during practice back home. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's scars myself."

She walked towards her and left a little bit of distance between the two as they faced each other, holding up her silver blade. "I will start slow, and will speed up bit by bit. I just want to see on what level we're starting off on." Nylea smiled and stretched for a moment. "I will only use my blade, so focus on that. Of course in other situations there will be other factors to keep in mind, but doing everything at once may be a bit much. Block as much as you can, and don't be afraid. The blade shouldn't do more than a very slight sting. Ready?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom