Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Book is a Dream That You Hold in Your Hand

h2lONRN.png

Icy blue eyes widened perceptibly as the soft pad of a finger brushed across the spine of a text that had seen much better days. The supple leather scratched against her skin temptingly, the rare volume tucked between rows and rows of scrolls, data-tapes, book chips, and the occasional hologram. A sharp intake of read as she pulled the item off the shelf with a reverence most reserved for holy relics and sacred documents, the Arkanian’s eyes sparkled with delight, a smile blooming across her face.

EJXLWf1.png
Lips moving in time with that quiet, inner voice as she read the title, a small, flush burning across her cheeks, the pink tint of her skin coming to the forefront, curious gazes cast her way by the others scattered amongst the stacks. Sephie hardly had eyes for any save the tome of mystery, romance, heartbreak, and tragedy currently resting in her palm, the book plucked tenderly from the shelf upon which it sat. The story was a familiar one, a handsome, chivalrous warrior enamored with a beautiful, yet untouchable princess, their love destined to burn brightly yet perish in that delicious way that the best of loves do.

Although with each telling the names, places, and details changed, it’s soul persisted. And here, now, one of the rare, recorded renditions of the popular romance sat nestled in her hands. The soft leather opened, revealing yet another miracle to the young bookworm…paper. True paper, crisp and pressed against the covers of the book, not the more common Flimsiplast she was accustomed to. A small, delighted sound escaped her throat, the tale clutched against her chest for safe keeping as she returned to her task with renewed vigor.

PbLvPDE.gif

Arms laden with a precarious pile of data-tapes, flimsis, and a scroll or two, Persephone made way to one of the small reading nooks nestled throughout the great library. She paid little to no attention to those surrounding, strange looks cast her way as she passed, curiosity and suspicion wholly ignored in rapt attention for the wealth of knowledge in her arms. A few research items to satisfy her father and her purpose in visiting the University of Eight in the first place, ranging in topic from the genetics of carnivorous plants altered by the presences of various Force Nexuses, to the evolutionary timeline of the destruction of a nebula. Nestled within these was her true prize, the reason for the sparkle in the corner of her gaze, the single piece of romantic literature she endeavored to enjoy beyond the rest.

A soft, happy, hum drifted around her as she moved, her eyes casting back down to the engraved spine of the book, her attention no longer on the path before her. A simple catch of a toe against the floor sent everything flying, a gasp and a curse cast out as girl and books began to tumble to the floor.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
Kay had a collection of books within her office. But she liked to circulate some of them. Afterall, she didn't want to read the same old books over and over again. That would get very boring rather quickly. And so she was at the library in the University of Eight on her bi-monthly visit. As always there was a flurry of activity, with various people either wanting to cater to her or to have a picture taken with her and divulge whatever wrongs are on their minds. Just like her husband, Kay didn't see herself as being above all of that. If there were people that weren't happy, she needed to find a solution otherwise that unhappiness could grow into a much bigger problem. For in her mind she served her people, rather than the other way around.

The fall of [member="Persephone Alonna"] was easily heard, most especially as Kay and her guards happened to be nearby. The clatter of the books, scrolls and flimsies was easily heard. Kay's first instincts were to help, and so she did, rushing over to the girl with her guards in tow. "Are you okay?" Two of her guards started to pick up the fallen tomes, all the while keeping a close eye on the pair.

The crunch of her elbow hitting the carpeted ground didn’t go unnoticed, the flare of pain masked by the pure triumph that flooded her veins and her face as her fingers wrapped around the precious leather binding, the novel clutched against her chest protectively even as the rest of her stash clattered around her.

”Are you okay?”

The slightly alarmed, yet kind, voice broke the sudden silence that fell over this section of the library as the clamour of her fall died down. A light flush colored Persephone’s cheeks as she noticed the many sets of eyes trained on the young girl, currently collapsed on the floor. A bashful smile lit up her face as she looked up at the woman hovering over her, concern etched into her expression even as the guards accompanying her began collecting the scattered flimsies and datacrons.

Brushing her long hair back away from her face with an easy laugh, she sat up gracefully, the movement seemingly at odds with her tumble moments before.

”Nothing a little ointment can’t handle!”

Her eyes flashed down to the tome in her hands, a light brush of her palm over the soft cover ensuring it was in one piece, before returning to the figure in front of her.

”I’m sorry for the trouble, Ma’am, but the book and I are perfectly fine. Honestly, I’m a bit used to it.”

Another easy laugh and large smile accompanied the words as she began to rise, nodding in appreciation to the men assisting in the clean-up.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Well, at least the fall wasn't serious, but still, it wasn't without injury. Falling unexpectedly on a hard surface, especially when one was carrying a bunch of items, was never a kind fall. Maybe if there was a rug it would've been better.

Kay held out her hand to help [member="Persephone Alonna"] to her feet, noting that she took the greatest of care to the old book cradled in her arm. "A bit used to it? Do you have a habit of tripping?" She wasn't trying to make her feel bad about it, just concerned as it could either be that her shoes were too big. Or it could be that it was a medical issue to affect her balance. That would need looking into.

"This library has plenty of great books, doesn't it? Are you studying for exams or putting together an essay?" As far as Kay was concerned, Persephone was a student at the University.

The hand was gratefully accepted with another full smile, the book still clutched protectively against her. Where others may have felt a touch of the Force running through the connection, reacted to the power flowing through the Queen of Commenor, Seph herself was pleasantly oblivious. What she felt was the firm grip of a soft palm as the older woman helped pull her from her prone position.

”Unfortunately. It’s a bad habit of mine, always has been. You get used to it!”

A soft laugh accompanied the words, an easy admittance to her clumsiness underscored only by the light pink blush of embarrassment that colored her cheeks. All her life she’d tripped and stumbled even under the best of circumstances, the moments of klutziness easy brushed away with a sheepish smile, a laugh, and quickly resuming whatever she’d been about in that moment without hesitation. And so she did now, accepting a small pile of flimsies from the nearest guard.

”Thank you.”

A moment taken to rebalance the load she carried, she turned her attention back to [member="Lady Kay"] fully.

”Something like that. I’m touring the labs of the University for a research project and thought I’d take advantage of the collection they have here- As well as a bit of personal reading.“

Her finger unconsciously curled around the rough edges of the leather-bound novel as she spoke.

Kay-Larr

"Well in that case you should have a stockpile of knee pads at home for whenever you leave home." She smiled at her to show that she was kidding. But already Kay could envision what [member="Persephone Alonna"] 's home would look like. Probably padded everywhere. Of course it could be that she was only clumsy outside of her home, as though it was a type of social anxiety. That was certainly a possibility.

Kay raised a brow slightyly at her answer to her question. "Oh? Just touring? I take it that you're not Commenori, then?" The University was quite famous and had been for centuries. Padmé Amidala herself used to come to Commenor and relay anti-war speeches. Kay had watched recordings of them and read the transcripts. They helped inspire her for any of her own speeches that she was to give to her people.

Persephone seemed to really clutch onto one of the books. By the look of it's binding, it was old, but not exactly one of the restricted volumes. "What is your topic of research, if I may ask?"

Knee pads. The thought sent a laugh through her, head shaking slightly in amusement.

”It’s never been that serious really. A scrape here and there, but knee pads! Ha!”

As Kay’s attention turned to the contents of her collection, she shook her head again, this time in response to the question poised. ”Yes, ma’am, and no, ma’am. I’m a graduate student at the University of Avalonia.” Technically she was also a First Order Citizen, due to her residency within their borders for most of her young adult and adult life, but she hardly called it home. Her father had moved them from one University to another for a number of years before the Order offered him a large sum to stay and work in their Biological research studies.

They had stayed, she’d enrolled in an undergraduate program, graduated, and eventually continued. Not that it had ever been her particular dream, but Dr. Kaladis was….persuasive.

”Genomes, mostly. A little on evolution. A little on the impact of Force Nexus’ on various living beings…”

Nose scrunching up a bit as she mentioned the Force, her eye dropped down to the two flimsies in question specifically tailored to the topic of Force Nexus’ impact on their surrounding environment. The mythical Force had always been a foreign concept to the girl, rather like a color someone else swore existed but was utterly invisible to yourself. And so she studied it in curiosity, but with little conviction.

Noticing the woman’s glance to the older volume she cradled preciously, her smile resumed its usual radiance, a slightly sheepish look settling on her face.

”And a bit of personal reading… too.” She all but mumbled.

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

"Avalonia? I've been there quite a few times. We have an Embassy there. Mostly I've just popped by for some of the fundraisers. It has been some time since I've been to that sector though." Quite a long time. Although her visits there were never really good ones. But they were necessary in order to keep the alliance going.

Kay raised a brow a little as [member="Persephone Alonna"] had mentioned Force Nexus'. "I don't believe that we have any Force Nexus' in CSA space, so I haven't really looked into that topic myself. Are they really bad for the environment that they're in?" Kay didn't know as much as she should on the various aspects of the Force. She had to keep her abilities a secret, after all.

And then Persephone seemed almost embarrassed of the old volume that she had held in her arms, her voice almost mumbling. "Nothing wrong with some personal reading. I myself am a fan of mystery novels, full of puzzles and various twists and turns in the plot. I can never seem to guess it all before the end...." Whether that was a goid thing or not, she didn't know.

As they spoke, Persephone began to make her way towards the alcoves that lined the far wall of the library, set aside for personal study. Pausing to allow her new companion to accompany her should she choose, she considered the question.

”That depends on the nature of the nexus itself. And the outcome one hopes to achieve.”

Turning, she offered [member="Lady Kay"] one of the flimsies off the top of the stack with a small smile. A bit of confidence had leaked into her tone as she spoke, the easy-going personality still present, but the scholar coming to the forefront.

”Nexus’, regardless of their alignment, seem to strengthen aspects of their environment, certain plants and animals flourishing within a given radius- there’s a formula based on age and the strength of a nexus somewhere, but I can’t remember for the life of me! Many consider this a good thing, but other species, even those native to the biome, are absent or corrupted…”

Stopping in her tracks, she realized she’d gone off on a tangent, the light creep of a blush coloring her cheeks again.

”It really is a fascinating subject if you’re interested in it!”

A soft chuckle met the Queen’s admittance that she enjoyed mysteries but often could not discern their ending, the girl perceptibly relaxing as they shared a moment of understanding.

”I prefer um-“ A slight pause followed by a slightly embarrassed admittance again. ”Romances. Have you ever read Tristan and Isolde, Miss-?”

Gesturing lightly to the novel in her arms, she belatedly realized, much to her dismay, that neither woman had introduced themselves to the other. A worried glance cast at the men accompanying them, she must be important to warrant her own- what were they? Assistants? Judging by their appearance, more like bodyguards. What had she gotten herself into?

Kay-Larr

Kay walked alongside [member="Persephone Alonna"] , although slightly behind her, allowing the young woman to lead her through the library to wherever she had wanted to go.

She took the offered flimsie in hand and listened to her while she explained what Nexuses were and how they functioned. It was an amazing thing to hear about. It was no wonder that some of the Jedi and Sith seemed to flock to areas where they were. Great power tends to draw people that sought more of it. "I don't believe that we have a Nexus around here. But it's good to know what they are. How is it that they develop? Are they naturally occuring? Or did someone create them?"

Kay shook her head as she was asked about a particular title of story. "No, I haven't. People expect me to read them, but I don't. Though there is hints of romance in some of the mystery novels that I read." Then it struck her. Persephone was asking her name. Was she to give off the whole title? Or just a little bit. Some people react funny when they find out that she's royalty. Others just don't really care. Kay wasn't much of a stickler for formalities and titles, except for upon ceremonies. "I'm Lady Kay Arenais. And you are?"

Sephie’s nose scrunched up a bit as she thought about the answer to her companion’s question, her gaze lost in the distance as she thought.

”Not so much someone as something.”

It was a long, complicated subject that she would need months to delve into. A pause as she considered the fastest way to answer the question without going into too much boring detail. Although, she thought as she flashed another easy smile, perhaps her new friend was the type to enjoy a generous amount of discourse on an academic subject. She did inquire after them herself, after all.

”Mostly, they develop around an event or item that’s particularly strong in one side of the Force or the other. Dagobah is probably the most famous, the Dark Side Cave is exactly that- a cave that is bursting with the energy of the Dark Side. It was created after the death of-“

Another small frown as she struggled to recall the history lessons she’d taken in her undergraduate studies. The blush on her cheeks returned as she shifted the books in her arms to balance within the crook of one elbow, using her now free hand to push her long pink locks behind one ear with an embarrassed chuckle.

”I can’t remember, if you’d believe it! But it’s safe to say that you’re lucky you don’t have one of those around here, although they can be great for research potential.”

They’d easily made their way to the alcoves, Persephone slowing as she hesitated to pick one of the empty reading nooks for them, personally preferring the one nestled against the large glass walls of the library, but knowing that others rarely had her affinity for natural light and views. Often, she found it made reading difficult for others and the views a distraction, something the young Zeltron never minded.

[member="Lady Kay"] Arenais.

”I’m Persepho-…” The wide grin and sing-song introduction trailed off into a surprised, wide-eyed expression as the name, and the reason it sounded so familiar, struck her. Aqua eyes dashed to the men accompanying them, her suspicions confirmed. ”Oh goodness, I didn’t- I mean I didn’t recognize- I’m so sorry I should have-“

A rush of apologies stumbled over each other as the girl attempted to hastily bow and curtsey at the same time, her feet and the stack of books wobbling precariously once again.

Kay-Larr

"Ooohhh...Now I understand. And here I thought that they were naturally occuring." Kay was certainly glad that there were none of them in her corner of space. Those that could create them never came around. And that was a good thing, for only the wrong attention would ever be brought to them if they were. And who needed that? She loved the stability that her neutrality gave them.

Persepho? That couldn't be her name, now could it? Kay looked over to [member="Persephone Alonna"] as she stopped snd nearly stumbled all over herself, both verbally and physically.

She smiled though, doing her best to hold in the bit of laughter that threatened to come up. "It's alright, there's no need to fret. I like not being so well known. Gives me a bit of freedom that way." Kay looked through the nook area, not exactly picky on where they could sit. "Shall we pick a seat? It'll be much more comfortable than standing around."

It took a few more seconds of stumbling and struggling to balance before the girl finally found her footing, eyes shining with a lingering bit of nervousness as Seph took [member="Lady Kay"] at her word.

”I’ll bet. You don’t get much of that do you?”

Her eyes flashed to the bodyguards once again, standing close enough to be useful but still attempting to afford the pair a bit of privacy. In a way she understood, even the graduate students were rarely left to their own devices, often finding themselves under the watchful gaze of a lab director or a professor overseeing the research and development. It was hardly the same as being a Queen, but the sympathy was still present.

”Oh um- that’s true. I hope you don’t mind the sun?”

The half-Zeltron set her precarious pile atop the smooth desk of a corner seating arrangement nestled against the large windows, the angle affording them shade should the Queen prefer it, or a spectacular view of the common grounds of the library.

”Some believe there are naturally occurring Nexi in the universe, but the ones most people are familiar with are a direct result of a nearly cataclysmic event. There really are none in Commenor space?”

Her brow furrowed slightly in curiosity and confusion as she shifted from foot to foot slightly, glancing at the arranged seating and back to her royal companion, hesitant to take a seat before Kay herself.

Kay-Larr

Kay just smiled with a sigh. She didn't get a lot of things anymore. Most especially freedom to be hersrlf. It was as though she had to do a performance every day, or at the very least, be guarded as though she was some criminal. True, her guards were only protecting her, yet it felt as though they kept her from doing a lot.

She took a seat in the sunlight, letting it warm up her skin and make her feel somewhat connected with the world. She listened to [member="Persephone Alonna"] speak about the Nexi. Cataclysm event? Hmmm. After a moment, Kay shook her head. "Not that I'm aware of. Or at least none that we know about. This sector tended to change hands with very little fight. It's helped to keep it from getting destroyed." Not to mention it kept others from invading them.

Here there was safety.

Here there was freedom from worry and strife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom