Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private The (Would-be) King and I

wjujCZT.png
"It could." She hummed in thought. "Jedi who've reached Masterhood are skilled enough to rein it in. But there are others who want you to feel the full brunt of their power."

An uncouth tqctic, she'd always thought. And not particularly in the purview of the Jedi - the Sith and assorted neutral Force users were a different story, however.

"Raw power doesn't always translate to ability, naturally."

Cora tilted her head, a faint gesture of understanding to Carlo's response. The Force often only governed the lives of those who've dedicated themselves to it. For most people - Force sensitive or not - it wasn't as much of a priority as working to provide for your family

Or ruling a planet, perhaps.

"I am a Jedi of the New Jedi Order. While Jedi doctrines have changed over millenia, the one constant is that we work within the Light side of the Force." The tea cup raised to her lips for the final sip.

Cora sighed, contentedly.

"When Ukatis was first in talks with the Alliance, my father sent me to the New Jedi Order to…learn." She'd been more of a goodwill token, a pawn, but Cora chose to look at that particular piece of her past through a rosy lens.

"Is there anything that you're particularly interested in learning about the Force, Carlo?"

Carlo Von Corrino Carlo Von Corrino
Dc6pDtW.png

"To me, those people flaunting power seem to be overcompensating for something they're lacking," Carlo mused, a slight chuckle in his tone. He then turned his full attention back to her words.

He paused for a moment before speaking again. "Isn't being limited to one side of the Force restricting the tools available to someone?" This question could be seen as skirting the edges of dark side thinking, but it was a genuine curiosity of his whenever the Force was mentioned.

Raising an eyebrow slightly, though it was hidden behind his glasses, he continued, "Apologies if this is out of line, mon ami, but it sounds more like he sent you to the Order as an insurance policy."

Carlo considered what he would want to know or learn about the Force, lightly drumming his fingers against the table before speaking. "Mainly, I'd like to learn how to fully control my connection to the Force."

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

wjujCZT.png
Cora murmured, a light, amused sound of agreement to Carlo's observation.

He was a curious young man, and if she had to guess, probably wasn't much younger than herself. Cora set aside his questions regarding the Force for a moment, choosing to first address the mention of her father.

"I suppose the timing would indicate that." She conceded with an airy chuckle. "Alas, my station at the time was not particularly important, though I would've liked to have thought differently." Cora had been unrepentantly snobbish when she'd first come to the New Jedi Order, believing herself to be far above others. That had impressed exactly no one, and had caused quite a few of her fellow Padawans to regard her coldly before she'd learned to change her tune.

"Regarding the Force, though – there are techniques that are exclusive to both the Light and the Dark side, respectively. Those who use the Dark are fueled by their anger, fear, and selfishness. Practitioners of the Light rely on honesty, compassion, and selflessness. There are quite a few abilities that overlap between the two – telekinesis, for one."

Cora glanced down to the teacup where it sat against it's saucer. Both bone white, with light blue detailing she found quite pretty.

"Though, I speak solely from the Jedi perspective. A Sith – who wield the Dark side of the Force – would likely tell you something different."

She hummed softly.

"You keep using that phrase - mon ami. What does it mean?"

Dc6pDtW.png

Having braced himself for some sort of backlash due to his comment about the other's father, Carlo was relieved when none came, allowing him to relax slightly. "The origins of one's birth do have interesting effects on thought processes and personality," he spoke softly, tracing a circle on the table's surface with his metallic hand.

"Hm, so the building blocks of a person's personality could affect which side of the Force they are drawn toward. That must be hell for those who are nothing more than a storm of emotions, unsure how these feelings work." He stopped his tracing, not wanting to scratch the surface, and continued speaking.

"From the sounds of it, a Sith would either try to tempt me to the dark side of the Force or simply kill me. I assure you, death sounds like such a bland experience," he chuckled, knowing it might come across as slightly weird, before blinking and adding, "Oh, the phrase 'mon ami' roughly translates to 'my friend.' It's an old dialect that my house has made sure all members are familiar with."

wjujCZT.png
Cora nodded to Carlo's observation. Absently, she wondered what trials the young Prince had personally faced - nobles often lead charmed lives free of the common plights, but that did to mean that that everything was simple for them.

"Some people are born with the expectation that they will follow either the Light or the Dark, and as a result have been influenced by it from birth. It can be hard to escape something like that."

She glanced to Carlo's mechanical arm, then back to his face.

"I suppose some people do have certain emotions that would lend themselves well to the Dark. Fear and anger among them - a Sith may seek to prey on these in order to corrupt a person."

Cora’s gaze wavered in thought, recalling the fragile state she'd been it when she'd first met Darth Nwul, and how he'd made her feel loved in her bleak, violent marriage. It had been artificial, at least at first, but he'd managed to play her pain and insecurities like an instrument.

She smiled, letting those thoughts break up like clouds. It was getting easier to view the situation for what it had been, the more distance she put between then and now.

"You'd rather be tempted to the side of greed and corruption than dead?"

That thought had her arching an amused brow. "I've never considered it an either-or situation."

Her lips quirked, pleased.

"Ah, that makes sense. So many native tongues have been superseded by Basic. The nobility here are still taught High Ukatish - it's nice that you're keeping the dialect of your people alive."

Dc6pDtW.png

Mulling over the idea that one's birth could predetermine their alignment with the dark or light side of the Force didn't sit well with Carlo. After a few moments of contemplation, he spoke, "It seems like a weak excuse for someone's actions, and the concept of a predefined path at birth is truly dull."

For someone who valued his freedom and zest for life, the notion felt as grating as a high-pitched noise. Noticing her glance at his metallic arm, a soft smile touched his lips. "If you're curious about how I lost the arm, don't hesitate to ask," he offered. It was once a sore subject, but over the years, he had grown accustomed to recounting the event.

A cheerful laugh escaped him as his left hand swept through his coal-colored locks. "It's already a sin to be this good, what's a little corruption to spice things up?" he said with a wink. "Though I do joke. The dark side sounds like it's just full of edgy try-hards, not really my scene, mon ami."

He let out a contented sigh. "Such is the duty of all born into the Corrino bloodline, along with ensuring the pilot academy is funded and thriving," he said, resting his head against his palm. "I must say, this is an interesting planet," he added thoughtfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom