Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeltros: Home of... A Jedi?

Carn Dista

One beard to rule them all, and in the Jedi bind t
How long had it been? Years? Months? Decades? It had all been so... blurred. Time had lost meaning. He recalled the silver haired slicer girl. The fight in the bar. The endless, endless wars. The cold solace of the hilt of his lightsaber, and the searing pain of ... another? No. It wasn't another that caused him this anguish - it was loss. She had been confirmed deceased a hundred times, and a hundred times more, yet none of it was enough to sate the ever-hungry wound within him. The loss of a Padawan was a grave one indeed. Asha. The name fluttered through his mind, reminding him of better times. Of a better Galaxy. He found a deep irony in her name - she was the one thing he longed to see again, above all other things. Yet, in the ancient Sith tongue, her name - Asha, meant power. A Jedi seeking power. Empires had risen and fallen on such a simple notion, yet he could not help himself. Nothing had filled the void left by the departure of his former Padawan from the mortal coil - Not even the taking on of another. Not even the lessons he held for Kiskla. Not even the short time that he held the position of Grandmaster, where the entire Order had been his students. Nothing. Not even this damn Juma juice. The thought was a bitter one. He had shrugged off his duty in recent years, becoming recluse from the Order to the point where they had simply stopped looking for him. He had become unkempt. At times unruly. Yet worse, his taste for liquor had gripped him fiercely. There were days where it had almost been his end - and were the Force not his ally, it would have been the drink rather than the Sith that killed him. Another deep irony. The humorous Force certainly had its way of inflicting itself on the Galaxy.

Yet here he was. Alive. And still on Zeltros. He occasionally mused that the Jedi had simply declared his death, doubting that there would be any grief for one such as he. Absconding duty and winding up on a planet infamous for lewd behavior - Certainly actions worthy of recognition in the Archives. Oh the Archives... He missed them, the quiet reverence of the halls, the studious looks on his peers faces. Telling the younglings to keep the noise down. No doubt they had been razed to the ground, or scattered to the stars. Perhaps Phyllis had been scattered with them? Despite keeping an ear to the ground, his former peers seemed to have been... He didn't want to think about it. More of the drink passed his lips, and more time passed him by. He remained this way for days. Drinking. Remembering. Regretting. Drinking. A far cry from the noble Adumari Warrior that had waged war across the Galaxy. Yet perhaps this was the fate of all who take up the sword for a cause. A lifetime of sorrows, to be drowned in a sea of poison. Fortunately for the disheveled looking Jedi, the local thugs had long since learned to keep their distance, and then some. Those that had tried him, even while he was in a deep stupor were often found with broken, or more often than not - missing limbs. Fortunately, if left to his own devices, the Jedi had been observed as docile enough, so that is how he was left. Even after his credits had dried up, the cantina owners allowed him to eat and drink his fill, simply because his presence (even if he was not aware of it at the time) was enough to keep something resembling law and order alive in their establishments. And so that is how he spent his time, at least until disturbed...

[OOC:

Thought i'd do a bit of a background post as to where carn's been all this time. Feel free to come contact him, anyone from any faction and we'll get some RP on the go. xox

Edit: I should probably note, it's common knowledge in Jedi circles that Carn was last seen on Zeltros. If Jedi have defected, other factions might have some idea as to where he is too.]

With my newfound love I found my way to Zeltros to find a master, whether Jedi or sith, with my new love I've learned not to hate and maybe a sith is not my path

Carn Dista

How? How had he fallen so far? It was a question he had asked himself a thousand times, and a thousand times again. As a Padawan he had been full of a deep wonder about the Galaxy. As a Knight he had forged himself into a great warrior. As a Master, moreso. Yet somewhere... Somehow, he had slipped from the good graces of the wider Galaxy, into near obscurity. The cup slipped to his lips again, almost unbidden. The thoughts slipped away just as easily, as his mind receded back into the now familiar stupor that he had allowed to consume himself. It came easily to him, a simple escape from the ever calling ebb and flow of the Living Force - An escape from a Galaxy that would see him thrown back into conflict. Was it such a sin to wish to stay still? If it was, it didn't matter to him. Not now, and not without a reason. He had no want to, even if, at times, he felt a deep need to. Another sip. Another waning of the unstoppable pull. Existing for the sake of existing was an exhausting ordeal, it seemed...

The soft dirt felt moist and alive. The entire area was almost unexpectadly in a better shape then one might assume in locations with industrial complexes like this one.
But then, for the most part the local business had abandoned here a while ago. Empty houses and untended infrastructure was signs that these were lesser known parts of Zeltron. A good place to hide from the public. A good place to remain incognito.

However, it had not been that hard to follow the rumors about the man that no one knew in person, yet everyone knew something about.
The bearded man, the drunkard, the kind one, the silent one. Some even whispered a jedi...
While he was clearly here to get away from things he did not hide either.

MAntic stepped inside the cantina and removed the hood of his cloak looking around the room. The jedi masters presence was there and Mantic made no effort to hide his own.

He took a few steps inside and found the man sitting at a far table. He remained still, waiting for eyecontact. He felt unsure about how [member="Carn Dista"] - the legendary warrior of the order would react on his presence and if he was not welcome he would leave. But if given any sign of that he was accepted, or even a welcomed sight he would proceed to take a seat at the jedi masters table.

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

His body was slumped loosely over the table, his long, unkempt hair draped across his face in a manner not dissimilar to the way his near ragged robes were draped across his shoulders. The ever distinctive beard was similarly unkempt, and though it was difficult to see his face, he looked withdrawn, tired almost. Eye contact for the newcomer was certainly not forthcoming. Again, he drank from his cup, and as he tipped his head back to savor the last of his glass his matted hair clung to the sides of his face, before he returned to his slumped posture. His silence was... almost an unnerving thing, perhaps, yet as the seconds dragged to minutes, finally, he broke his silence.

"You make a poor door, and a poorer window."

The remark was directed nowhere in particular, but it was clearly aimed at the Jedi that had entered the battered cantina, with the undertones of a simple, unspoken statement; Come closer or go away - but stop gawking. The only question now was, would Mantic make a decision?

Mantic watched the broad image of [member="Carn Dista"]
Yes, his appearance had lots to want from, his tired statement was far from the booming voice of rhe past warrior Mantic was told the man to be.
But, it was not uncommon for veteran jedi to withdraw like this either. It was a sad fact and Mantic embrased himself in that he would be strong enough himself the day came, the day that seemed to find almost all jedi at some point during these chaotic times.

Mantic inclined his head with discretion and moved to take the seat on the other side of the table.

"Whatever is the local beer please," he ordered from the bartender who went of to serve the new customer.

"Master Dista," he then continued. "I will assume you know why I am here. Before you send me away though. My intentions are nothing but pure and I am in no position to judge. Will you hear me out?"

He asked and reached out to grab the served pint.

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

An insidious smirk crept across his face. "It would seem I have no choice. Sit and speak, and trick yourself into thinking you're not judging." He remained sat, slumped over the table. Somehow he wasn't surprised that one of them had eventually found him here - Kiskla had managed it so long ago. Perhaps she had been diligent in her note keeping. Yet he was surprised that they had sent someone so... naive. A Jedi who thought himself above judging others was, in his opinion, a Jedi who disregarded the nature of sentient life. Still, he would sit, and he would listen. After all, the newcomer had bought a drink, and it would be a shame to waste it.

Mantic tried a feint smile.

"Right..." he tried the words somewhat before speaking. He was used to being mocked or made fool of because of his loalty to the order. He felt unsure if that would repeat itself with this one as well. It probably would and for most Mantic was an annoyance. Not that he did not stand for it, but on this particular case there was no reason to begin on the wrong side.

"Master Dista, may I start with offering an appology for not having found you earlier. But then..." Mantic hesitated. "It appear you have sought solitude which of course is your right." he took a sip from the ale.

"My name is Mantic Dorn, knight of the jedi order. What is left of it." Mantic wet his lips and pondered for a moment.

"I am here to plead for your return to service in the order Master Dista. While times have changed many of us and very many of the jedi have left to go on their own crusades or join other force societies those of us who remain are in dire need of help to rebuild and restore." he spoke plainly and to the point.

"I am not a master and have yet to have found the strength to understand the force in such a way as you or other masters have, but I have stood by the order for my entire life. What I have seen during my life is indeed a real and most evil threat from the many sith crawling across the galaxy. I like yourself has stood on the field of death and endured both loss, fear, and pain in its purest form. That is an enemy we at least can see." Mantic sighed.

"But we are also fighting an enemy that is far more dangerous and equally lethal to us. The order is bleeding its members. Those who ones trained in our ranks are abandoing us in favor of other orders or simply stand unprepared to give back to the order. It is not true for all of course but the facts speak their plain language. We are fewer remaining by the day."

" I wish to learn if you in your heart still trust in the jedi order and its teachings. Because we are a rare breed these days. If that concerns you, I would ask that you came back to Ossus with me to rejoin us in our struggle."

[member="Carn Dista"]

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

Carn fell quiet for a great spell again, unmoving save for the rise and fall of his body with each breath. The Knight, Mantic Dorne as he had introduced himself, had given a rousing speech, one filled with dread and despair, laced with ill news and topped by a single dash of hope - hope that should Jedi return to the fold, the Order would beat the Sith away once more. Even in his stupor, Carn had understood that much. He also spotted the light homage and ego stroking. Smart. Not effective, but smart none the less.

Still, such a speech deserves an answer. At least that was the conclusion he had come to.

"I.. sense that this is not simply about the order. I can smell desperation, even over the stench of Tihaar. You invite me back to help the Jedi wage war, no?" though his speech was slurred a little and it had taken him some time to come up with this brief yet blunt approach, he felt as though he had hit the nail on the proverbial head, and to him it seemed that the order was losing on multiple fronts, and they needed more bodies.

There was a stillness in the room. He had sensed it the moment he had stepped inside the cantina and as he spent time here he more and more realized that the powerful built man was an important piece of the puzzle to bring some sense of order here.

It was a good thing and for a moment Mantic felt guilt for playing the part that maybe would spirit this order away.
But he shook the notion away, the jedi had to lift their eyes and look on bigger pictures. It was a hard time to do so where darkness and evil lurked in every corner. It was easier, quicker... To find a place to do good where the effect was detectable right away. It was not the same as the right thing to do though.

[member="Carn Dista"] was in himself an impressive person, one that could bring much wisdom and security for the worlds that the order tried to protect. He could cause rippled that would do good through so many more if he could be persuaded to lift his eyes.

"Yes Master Dista. I am. I am in no position to ask anything else, but we need persistance in our ranks and jedi masters to show the way. Our new Grand Master is trying to save what can be saved but she need help. We need help. If you still believe the order to be true to your heart."

He added the last sentence with a slight tremble to the voice. Many masters were in fact gliding away from the orders disciplined teachings and toward less strict organisations. Mantic naturally hoped to find out if [member="Carn Dista"] would be among those who somewhere deep still trusted in the old ways.

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]
[Apologies about the delay, I've not been able to get online for any real time over the weekend!]

War. Hrumph. He wondered what this Knight, this youth, truly knew of war. He wondered if he had been in trenches, boarded ships, or truly danced the dance of death between Jedi and Sith. He wondered where his next drink was. He wondered a great many things, and a great many of said things were irrelevant. What was relevant was his... righteousness? Rightness? No... not those words... How correct he had been. The Jedi were once again embroiled in war. A war that threatened their existance, again. No doubt brought on by liberal Jedi, who forget that it is a privilage, not a right. The kind of privilage you threw away. His own thoughts stung him deeply, as they often did these days. He grunted in a way that perhaps could have been viewed as towards Mantic, when in fact they had been directed mostly at himself. I need to know more. The thought came unbidden into his mind, forcing its way through the fog to the forefront of his thoughts. It had been there for his entire life and it would take more than a bottle or two of the infamous Mandalorian liquor to sear it from his mind for long. There were other thoughts that meandered aimlessly through his mind after that. Who was the Grandmaster? Where was Asha? What happened to my drink? What's the weather like on Adumar this time of year? All of them seemed as important as the last, which was, at least to Carn, not very important at all. Still, one of them needed asking. Apparently that was how good conversation worked. The first one would do. It seemed apt.

"So who is she?" came the badly phrased question. What he meant to ask was "What is the name of the Grandmaster?", but alcohol and good questions were never going to be a marriage made in conversational heaven. Still, it suited the purpose, and if this Knight genuinely wanted his help, they'd both find suitable answers to their questions.

It was a strange thing to be part off. the table with the two jedi was left mostly undisturbed. As igf a protective bubble had been raised and kept sterady around the,. As the large jedi [member="Carn Dista"] seemed to think Mantic realized that the jedi masters presence here must have left a long term mark on the place. This was a fascinating thin in itself for Mantic. While he was an adept at certain force skills he still had a long way to go to be able to use the force in any similar and much more refined way.
However, it was not certain that [member="Carn Dista"] had caused this intentionally. Perhaps it was simply an effect on him being here over a longer period of time that had caused this slight alteration.

What if someone with this amount of power would not heed the orders call? he suddenly realized. What if...

He snapped out of the thoughts as the direct question finally came.

"Grand Master [member="Corvus Raaf"] is a person who has fought hard to keep the order out of the republics politics but still remain at its side. I believe her goal is to see the jedi order regain momentum over the great wounds we are suffering, bleeding our members away from the code and life of servitude thast is the core of our orders teachings." Mantic took a deep breath and looked dep into his ale mug.

"Wether or not she will succeed is still an open question. I would say she is not against reform, and she has brought the new time into our ranks but not without abandoning the code or our ancient traditions either. I have met her on a few occasions out of chance and even though I myself am guilty of being more of a traditionalist I put my faith on her shoulders."

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

There was that word again... "Traditional. Prft." Carn looked positively soured at the idea. In his mind, tradition had been lost in the Jedi Order when marriages and other such liberal goings on had been allowed to spring up within the Order. It hadn't been like that in his day. His day. Another clouded memory flickered briefly through his mind, of an Order in the midst of yet another war. Had it always been war? It felt like it. He fell into a deep, brooding silence while he tried and failed to remember the years of his life that hadn't been surrounded in conflict. He supposed his Padawan years had been more idyllic, but even they had been filled with combat - although that was more simulated, as opposed to life threatening. His thoughts shifted to this Jedi in front of him, and for the first time he took in all that he could about Mantic, his cold, stern eyes staring less at him, and more... through him. He wondered what his younger fellow thought of him. Of the Order. Of the Galaxy. There was only one way to find out. Perhaps a trick he had employed to some effect on Kiskla...

"I can sense... Questions, brooding at the front of your mind. Out with them." He phrased it intentionally bluntly, in a way designed to force Mantic to acknowledged his near-demand. Ofcourse, Carn couldn't actually sense the questions there - he was more playing a dangerous guessing game. Once, when he was sober, manipulating the Force to pick up on the vibrations that a quizzical mind produced had been something that came naturally to Carn, however, now, all it boiled down to was a half informed guess and gut instinct.

Mantic returned the mug to the table and while taking a deep breath he went over how he could reply to the mans question. While he knew that some masters could read minds like open books he did not sense anything that would resemble an attempt to breach his own. While there was a chance that this master was powerful enough to hide such an attempt Mantic did not really sense any danger at all.

So he leaned back in the chair resting in the same comfort that the rest of the taverns guests were enjoying.

"The only time the jedi managed to best the sith was in the old times. Whatever the new reformists claim about the order has outlived its purpose nothing they have done has come even close to achieve that. We the jedi must embrace duty and servitude to the order and surrender thoughts of constantly going our own way." he began.

"While the order is not perfect by far, it is, in my own opinion, the strongest hope that galaxy has to reach balance once more."

"What I ask is if you are ready to return to duty as a jedi Master in the jedi order. I can not speak for the council but I believe that you would be a most wanted return in their eyes. And of course in mine."

While Mantic was more eager then his words might reveal he knew it was not his place to set further requests on a master. Even though this one needed to be pushed a bit...

[member="Carn Dista"]

Carn Dista

[member="Mantic Dorn"]

He grunted again. Mantic was right- it was only the Jedi of times long past that had prevailed against the dark side of the Force. The Jedi he had aspired to be like in his youth. It was almost disturbing to him how Mantic had managed to read him like a book, and have his words resonate with Carn's philosophies and thoughts in regards to the order. Either that or a strange coincidence... But then again, the Force had a myriad of strange ways, and in a Galaxy so bound by its unstoppable will, Carn had long since come to the conclusion that coincidence was nothing more than a myth adults told to children, a bit like the rancor man that lived deep within their closets, and Father Lifeday. Again, the grizzled figure fell into a deep brooding silence, as if he was searching for some deeper place within his mind. Finally, an answer came forwards.

"I will speak with the Council."

It was all he needed to say. By the time they reached whatever planet the Jedi had holed up on after the fall of Coruscant, Carn intended to be completely sober, and not unlike his former self - certainly a force to be reckoned with in a word of wars. Or just wars in general. His decision came from two points - The first, that if he met the council he could decide for himself if the Jedi Order truly wished for his return. The second however, was for Mantic. In the brief conversation they had had, Carn had spotted something about him - perhaps how he held himself, or how he spoke, or what he spoke of. Whatever it was, the venerable Jedi had decided that Mantic would likely gain a little recognition for attempting to bring him back into the fold, and that, for now (and perhaps the future, depending on the outcomes of a potential meeting with the Council) would be nothing short of a good thing. For the first time in a great deal of time he found himself standing up with his back straight, and the look set in his eyes suggested that he felt he had a sense of purpose about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom