Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frost Redoubt

Hoth, 844 ABY
Alen Na'Varro is now 41. To him, his wife and children died seven years ago. To the galaxy, they passed from history a few months over 828 years ago. Both of his old Masters are long dead. His former rivals, bar a few, are all dead and forgotten. He has made a home in this new, strange galaxy he has found himself in, and yet his past still haunts him with ghosts of times past. The bearded man has suffered much. The genocide of his people, the murder of his wife, the times where his best was not enough and it was he who fell, yet the relief of death's embrace never came for him. He is a Sith Lord. Truth be told, his life has not allowed for anything else to come to pass. And now memories of his second Master, the first great man he ever deceived, lead him back to Hoth. Hoth, the planet he had saved him on ... Hoth, the place where Killian had hinted that redemption was possible ...
Sharp, biting cold froze Na'Varro to the bone. His breath formed in front of him as if painted by a thick brush, almost as if it held more mass than was possible. The wind was slight, but in this extreme cold it was brutal. Not even the Sith Lord's fetching snug snowsuit could keep it out, and you could be assured that he had spent a fortune to get the best kit available. You couldn't prepare for Hoth. It would get you every time. What was the trick, then? Always keep moving, and moving quickly. The tauntauns would get you where you needed to go every time, and the quicker you were indoors, the better. Na'Varro ushered his beast on. Gotta keep moving.

Memories of the men who had once drawn him here, over eight hundred years ago, bounced around his skull like a child with attention deficit disorder. None of the memories stuck for long. Talus Invictus, the Sith in hiding who had taken the young Na'Varro under his wing, taught him the ways of the Sith in secret and made him formidable. Killian Quane, a good man, a deceiver who Na'Varro in turn had deceived, the most powerful being in the galaxy at the time and the man who had made Na'Varro one of the best. It was Killian who had come here first. It had been Na'Varro and Invictus who had saved him. Of course, the inhabitants of the Keep would be long dead, but their memories would remain. Soulless, they had appeared, with hearts of ice.

"Stand fast," said Na'Varro to himself as he first caught glimpse of a spire, rising imperceptibly, barely silhouetted against the slopes of a lone mountain. "Behold the Keep of Ice."

Between him and the spire, snowy undulating ground stretched for kilometres. It was still a ways to go yet, and Na'Varro would likely spend that time with his thoughts; his memories. Being young, learning, training hard, fighting battles against great Jedi and terrible Sith, and becoming great. His thoughts would then turn elsewhere, back towards the spire. Was what Killian sought really among the ruins of that Keep?

Was redemption really possible?

I'm getting old.

Na'Varro's body was not what it once was. He was no longer in his prime, and the Dark Side was a cruel mistress that took from him as much as it gave. It reduced him physically, reddened his eyes and his hair, gave him many wrinkles where he should have few. His endurance was lower than it could be ... the Dark Side was like alcohol and cigarettes. Its effect on his body was drastically similar. Na'Varro was tired. Tired in body from trudging through the endless sheet of snow and ice, and tired in mind from decades of hardship, victory and defeat. Tired from being angry all the time. His enduring anger had been what drove him; what made him successful and powerful, but it couldn't last forever. Finally, Na'Varro was tired of being angry. Just tired. There has to be something more than this.

War wounds had accumulated. As he crested another ridgeline, the bearded Sith remembered them all. Ashin Varanin had almost taken his left arm, as he had almost taken her life. Raien Keth had knocked him into an abyss on Kashyyyk, over eight hundred years ago. The young Na'Varro had survived, but had shattered his shoulder in the process. His right leg carried a slight limp from Darth Invictus' harsh training, his chest a gigantic, lightsaber hilt sized scar from his first near death experience. He remembered them all. His mind recounted each memory in vivid detail as he drew closer to the mountain, and the Keep that lay concealed on its slopes. The journey took a couple of hours, but to Na'Varro it was only a minute slice of time in his life. It passed quickly. Soon, the Sith Lord was at a landing, snow and sleet ice covering stone. Above him, for dozens of metres, a giant icy tower stretched into the sky. Sheer white, covered in snow and sleet and frost and everything cold.

Na'Varro looked up. He grunted. His breath hung in the air in front of him like a ghostly companion. He took no notice of it, instead proceeding forward and dispersing his fog into the four corners of the icy world. It was likely that the particles would reach that far ... in time.

Manipulating the Force with his waning passion, he opened the black double doors and swung them backwards with a creak. An antechamber lay beyond it, empty except for the deafening sound of silence. The bearded man stepped through the archway and inside and stopped briefly, inspecting the room for the absence of nothing. All he found was ice. I remember it being warmer than this. Then the realisation hit him. Eight hundred years ... long enough for any generator to die. The inhabitants would likely have perished a long time ago. There was now nothing but memories here. Memories and secrets.

Na'Varro proceeded onwards, towards a spiraling staircase and what lay at the bottom of it.

Icy walls bounded by small drifts of snow. Stone floors coated by a thin, frosty white powder. Silence, except for the echoes of Na'Varro's footfalls. The emptiness of the tower created a powerful ambience that was emotionally overwhelming for most. The bearded man was not unaffected. The silence made this place, in mental terms, a lot bigger than what it really was. That space provided an inclination to think; to get inside one's head and get lost inside that mirror maze. And Na'Varro didn't have many good memories to think about. Kitt popped into his head at one time ... those memories were good, no matter how much he pretended not to care. He had messed that one up too, and thus his thoughts returned to darkness. Though this time, he thought he could sense the source of them all, and perhaps if he could do that, he could root it out. Maybe ... maybe it wasn't too late for him.

It felt like an age had passed, but it was only then that he reached the bottom of the stairs. He found himself in another room, much like all the others, except this was darker and lit only by ever-burning torches. The weak sun rays of Hoth's star didn't reach this far down into the mountain ... down. Why down? From what the bearded man could remember, Killian had been searching for what lay at the top-

"Strider ... this is a surprise." Na'Varro had not sensed the new presence, which now lingered at the archway. He turned to see him, an aged Echani man who shimmered in a familiar blue-white hue ... a ghost. He remembered his face, but could not for the life of him- What was his name? For the Force's sake, what was his gorram name?

"Good afternoon," the Sith Lord said pleasantly, his outward demeanour showing no signs of his inner confusion. "I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd drop in for a cuppa."

"That ... that can be arranged." The ghost seemed amused, though his expression didn't change. It was a feeling that came through the room like a wave. Even an empathetic spastic like Na'Varro could sense it. "I am surprised, however. You were in such a hurry to leave last time.."

"That was my friends." He shrugged. "They kinda wanted to move on to the next party."

"Right. Well-" The ghost paused. "You never were the greatest mentalist, were you?"

"Oh shi-" Na'Varro felt his mind being penetrated, fighting hard against the incursion but quickly being overwhelmed. The last thing he felt was a distinct sense of disgust at his mind being violated so easily. And then everything went black. Na'Varro slept, his mind being filled with dreams that would alter him profoundly, but also ones that he would not remember.

~~~
"Wake up.." The Echani man's voice punctured through the veil of Na'Varro's slumber. He felt a soft, gentle hand touch and then shake his shoulder, and opened his eyes to find a room full of dim light. He lay on a large bed, the sheets white as snow ... apparently made from the same cloth as his new sleeping apparel. Sitting up, he recognised the old Echani man with his eyes now, as he stood at the doorway with amused eyes. He too wore the monotonous white that dominated this icy keep. He was flanked by two young Echani females, both stone-faced and seemingly with hearts of ice. Na'Varro's head turned to the left and found the source of the hand that still lay softly on his shoulder. Partial recognition flooded his memory bank immediately, signified by a rush of butterflies fluttering through his gut. A young Echani woman, this one with kind eyes and perceptibly sad. It was her. The bearded man couldn't remember why he knew her, or how, or who she was exactly. But there was the feeling of knowing there. Had she been the one who had helped his old Master all those centuries ago? Had she been his salvation?

"I hope your slumber was to your satisfaction, honoured guest." The elder cut through Na'Varro's wandering thoughts, bringing him back to the present. His eyebrows rose slightly. A strange use of Basic, evidence of a man who had not been with the outside galaxy for some time.

"Ah ... it was, thank you." Na'Varro's face remained still, as it had been trained, but his inner reaction was sheer shock. That was not his voice. That is not my voice! The voice was familiar, but it was not his ... too familiar.

"We bring breakfast." With a gesture, the Echani females filed through the doorway carrying silver platters laden with food from the four corners of the galaxy. Lavish. Na'Varro wondered how all of these beautiful things had found their way to Hoth, a dead world at the brink of the Unknown Regions. "And hope it is to your liking. Your stay here will be ... long, and it is our hope that you will be comfortable for its duration."

Long stay? No chance. Na'Varro grimaced. Hoth wasn't exactly the holiday destination of a lifetime. So he weighed things up. He was, by all accounts, a very powerful individual. Governments had tried to hold him and failed. There was nothing stopping him from walking out the front door. His eyes narrowed, focusing on the old Echani man, knowing that a simple motion would fling him like a rag doll against the wall, bones breaking and sinew twisting, and - the Dark Side wasn't there. Where once there had been something great and terrible, there was a void in Na'Varro's mind so massive that he almost lost control completely. It was his drug, the very thing he relied upon for everything. And it was gone. The bearded man felt a sickness rushing through him, tears of desperation and complete and furious emptiness pouring from his eyes. He curled up on the bed, an arm stretched out in agony as if he was trying to recapture his soul. At the sight of it, Na'Varro's confusion compounded. That's not my arm. He looked around in desperation, catching his reflection in one of the silver platters. A huge mop of blood red hair, clean shaven with eyes as red as fire. That's not my face!

"You will not find the Force here, and nor will you find it again. Relax, Master Reaver ... you are quite secure here. And here you will remain, until your purpose is achieved."

The old Echani turned and left, his white-haired entourage following out the door that slid closed and locked behind him. He left a man confused, broken, and in terrible mental pain, on the edge of sanity and his animal side, almost devoid completely of reason.

~~~
Na'Varro awoke screaming. It took a matter of seconds to re-orientate himself; he was used to nightmares, to him they were the constant companion of sleep. But re-orientate himself he did. He was in the same room as in his dream, yet everything was darker, older, shabbier. There was no bed, not even a mattress, just a cold hard floor and icy walls. For the moment, he was alone. Na'Varro did not try to seize the Force yet. Truth be told, he was terrified that it would not be there, and he would be truly alone. The Dark Side had ebbed inside of him for the past six years. He was no longer as fearsome as he once was, and the thought that the rest of it could be taken from him seemed a real, terrifying possibility. The bearded man was scared. For the first time in a long time, he was feeling something ... and it was fear. Terrible fear, and he was unsure of whether he had the strength to fight anymore.

"It's not there." The Force ghost had reappeared during the meandering of his mind. He couldn't see the expression its face held, but on the whole it appeared smug. A disgusting disposition, if there ever was one.

"Excuse me?" Na'Varro managed.

"The Force, it's not there, so don't bother trying." The ghost continued, its disposition vastly changed from the memory or dream that Na'Varro had just experienced. "The last guy who tried after I put him in here went insane for two whole weeks. He was useless until he calmed down. Two weeks. Sure, not much time when you've been here for EIGHT HUNDRED FETHING YEARS ... but still, after that long a wait, you tend to get a little impatient."

"Righto."

"Hmm, quite. Now," the ghost drummed his "fingers" against the doorway. "I require to keep you here for as long as it takes-"

"As long as what takes?" Na'Varro inquired.

"None of your business! Anyway, we've established that you can't access the Force and your mentalism game sucks. This door locks, and it's the only way out. I can put you to sleep at will ... what I'm trying to say is, you have to stay here. Your cause is hopeless. Your only way out is to give me what I seek. But you don't know what to give, you can't know! So this is probably going to be a lengthy process.." The ghost stopped as if disgusted with himself. "I don't even need to explain myself to you, really. I guess I've just been a little bit lonely. Eight centuries is a loooong time. Anyway, plenty of time to chat. Enjoy your sleep."

The ghost vanished into thin air, and Na'Varro was out like a light before he had even finished evaporating. Blackness was his companion once more, as were the memories that came with it.

~~~
"Wake up!" Na'Varro's slumber was broken by breathlessness and pain as his father's boot slammed into him just below his ribcage. The boy doubled over on the floor, his throat making desperate noises as he gasped for breath. He struggled to retain some kind of dignity as Aran Na'Varro's footfalls echoed against the stone floor. His father paced. Alen continued his struggle.

"Get up. Na'Varro stand above all other men. Your place is not on the ground. It is on your feet." His father's harsh face showed only dispassion. "Get up, or I'll kick you again."

Alen struggled to his feet, swallowing the blood that he had almost spat out before. He bared his bloodstained teeth, fatigued but almost feral with rage. His father humiliated him like this constantly, his 'lessons' little more than beat downs in front of half of the house guard. There was nothing that Alen wanted more than to make his father fall, and then he'd break his face with his fist as he- His father moved quickly, closing the distance and faking with a quick left jab. Alen fell for it, ducking under it and running into a powerful body kick. His arms caught the brunt of the blow; it was painful and they burned like fire. He took an opening, blasting his father in the face with a right hook, but the older Na'Varro simply took it on the chin and drove a knee into his exposed gut, before dropping him with a right cross. Alen rolled away, rising and wiping blood from his face.

"You are Chosen, son. Destined to rule, the Lion of Ascension, created through myself and your mother to serve the old gods of our world. Created by the Force to rule the Sith." You are wrong, Alen thought in reply. But he said nothing. "But you will rule nothing like this. You are pathetic, a mewling infant, a child. I thought my son a man, yet you are less than nothing."

His father charged, crashing into him and tackling him to the floor. He punched Alen again, driving his face into the stone.

"I will make you a warrior. I will make you the greatest of the Sith!"

Alen struggled to get away, the sixteen-year-old powerless against his father's mad strength. There was a terrible insanity in Aran Na'Varro's eyes, and Alen found himself losing consciousness again as his father screamed for the last time.

"I AM THE SOURCE-"

His return to unconsciousness was all too sudden.

~~~
Na'Varro awoke to see the ghost 'standing' before where he lay cuddled up to find what little comfort he could from the cold. He frowned, confused. The ghost's aura was rather pensive, and the bearded man expected to see a frown there as well.

"Interesting." The ghost said this after a period of time that felt like forever. "Nice childhood you had."

"Shut up." Na'Varro's reply was barely more than a grunt. His head hurt like frell. "Got any food or water?"

"No.." The ghost actually shrugged apologetically. "I don't really have use for such things of late, due to my condition. I expect you'll die in a few more days. But not before I find what I'm looking for, I hope."

"Empathy's not really your strong suit, I guess."

"You're one to talk, Mr. Sith Lord. You've killed more people than I care to count, and didn't care about one of them."

"Mighta cared about one or two, but I see your point." Na'Varro sighed and folded his arms, resigned to his fate.

"Not going to fight me on this?"

"Nope." Na'Varro thought briefly, stroking his beard. "When you've lived your life like I have, you have to be prepared for this kind of thing. Besides, I've come to realise that I may deserve an end like this. I've made a lot of mistakes.."

"Hmm.." The ghost vanished, and Na'Varro's return to slumber was as instantaneous as it had been before.

~~~
"Hey sleepyhead, wake up.." Alen groaned and rolled over, trying to escape the need to do anything. Eva persisted with a girlish quality, grabbing a pillow and smothering him with it. "Wake up wake up!"

Alen couldn't resist retaliating. Rolling into her, he brought her down with his brawny arms and wrestled her into their bed. Her struggle was brief and perfunctory, and soon he had his wife pinned beneath him. Each of his hands held one of her wrists down, his face merely a few centimetres from hers.

"You've done it now.." He chuckled as she squirmed beneath him.

"Let go you ... you nerfherder!"

"Not until my demands are met, princess." Eva's face took on a playful, seductive quality.

"Which are?"

"Okay, first, I'm gonna need you to take-"

Their play was interrupted by the pitter patter of four little feet charging through the hallway. The twins, at a mere four years old each. There was Aria, the wilful, rough-and-tumble daughter and Aran, the sensitive and precocious son. When they played together, they made a human cyclone that was not easy to stop, or for that matter, control. And at the moment, Cyclone Na'Varro was headed towards their parents' bedroom.

"Uh-oh," said Dad. "We're in trouble."

The twins rounded the corner, and charged their parents without hesitation with blood-curdling yells. Dad was tackled off Mum by his two enthusiastic cubs, one moving to sit on his chest while the other body slammed his exposed stomach. Mum managed to extricate herself from the situation and watched, gasping through debilitating laughter as Dad was pummeled by two pint-sized terrors. This chaos was sheer bliss. Dad managed to find a way to get one little tyke under his right arm, and the other one by the ankle. Victory for Dad, it would appear. Mum stopped laughing just long enough to give Dad a kiss ... and immediately the kids stopped struggling. A calm after the storm ... early mornings at the Na'Varro home on Charny. Bliss.

Fire. Na'Varro sensed it before he saw it; knew there was nothing that he could do to stop it as he watched it consume everything he loved. He collapsed to his knees in grief as his wife and children went up in flames, eaten by fire from the inside out. The family home burned down around him, but he did not see it. He was too gone ... curled up in a ball on the ground, bawling his eyes out as fate took everything from him.

~~~
The ghost reappeared in the room, but from the state of the bearded man, he realised that any sort of exchange would be impossible. The Sith Lord had not even realised that he had returned ... instead, he lay on the floor staring with sightless eyes, remembering beautiful memories long repressed for the first time in a long time.

Sleep would come for him again. Soon.

Kitt Solo

Alen Na'Varro's Ex
[member="Alen Na'Varro"]

Hoth.

Gorram it Alen.

Winter boots that hadn't been worn in awhile fit snugly around her feet. The cold still managed to find its way into her jacket and beneath the snow goggles over her myrtle-ellipses. Vibrant-gaze swept the snowy-landscape, gloved hands tugging back on the reigns of the taun-taun.

"It had to be fricken Hoth," the mutter left her lips in a puff of foggy-air for only the beast to hear.

The cold world brought back uncomfortable memories for the Empath force master. Memories of someone she was tugged to find here. Memories of the fringe. Memories of a broken relationship. Memories of the ball. Memories of the family she just lost on Corellia and the price of love.

Urging the taun-taun forward, she extended her senses in the force picking up on a flurry of emotions ahead. Eyes narrowed on what looked like a spire almost lost in the mountainside. She was getting closer.

She nudged her presence beyond where she physically was, sending one word.

Alen.

~~~
"Gorram it, Alen.." Na'Varro was woken from his thoughts by a female voice, one all too familiar to his ears, and immediately came to his senses. The Sith Lord found himself once again in familiar surroundings ... it was his old apartment on Annaj. The one with the incredible view of the skyline of the balcony, the one with the unspoiled sunsets. The one he and Kitt had shared before he left to bring war to those from beyond the Unknown Regions, the extra-galactic threats that threatened the Fringe and all sentient life in the galaxy. He had won victory, a great feat that none would ever hear of, and had returned to find that she was with another. That wound had been deep, his anger fierce, the strength of his connection to the Dark Side completely restored ... for a time. But over time, the wound had faded, his anger had subsided, and his connection to the Force weakened once more. And now it ebbed to a state of nothingness. Na'Varro was no longer formidable; he had never felt weaker in his life. He had stopped caring in the hope that the pain of his life would stop. He could not decide whether the end was worth the means, and in truth he did not feel like thinking about it much longer.

"When are we leaving?" Na'Varro looked over at Kitt. His situational awareness had increased from his past dreams ... he knew by now that this too was a dream, and looked at it from the back seat with an analytical mind. He could see Kitt's sadness, and the pain he constantly put her through with his constant crusades. He did not blame her for leaving, not anymore. The girl had the critical vulnerability of needing to be loved, needing someone. When Na'Varro was there, it had been enough. When.

"We are not going anywhere," he heard himself say, looking back down at his cup of caf on the counter. "I've just received word that the mechu deru hordes have penetrated through the O'Reen Perimeter and are threatening the Spires of Hell. I'm taking the 4th Fleet to counter their advance.."

"When?"

"Half an hour?"

"Gorram it Alen, you ... you ass!" Kitt's anger reverberated around the room. Dating an empath had its disadvantages. "What about us?"

"Well what the feth am I supposed to do, then? Fething Sivas gets on the fething phone and gets me to do this shavit! It's my job, for frak's sake!"

"You're never here."

"Well I'm sorry, didn't ask to be saviour of the universe but it looks like this shavvit is down to me. I don't do this, Annaj falls, Fondor falls, Coruscant falls." Na'Varro felt himself look up, his annoyance softening. He let his guard down, walking over to where Kitt stood with her arms folded. He took them up with his hands, breaking her defensive barrier and slipping his hands around her waist. He tried to kiss her, she turned her head, but he could feel her defenses grudgingly begin to break. Heh, still got it.

"I'm sorry, I love you. I'll be back before you know it, and then I'll take a vacation. I promise." He kissed her again, and this time she didn't turn her head. After a second, she pushed him off gently, folding her arms again.

"Okay. I still hate you right now though." Turning, she headed for the exit of the room, her oversized shirt swaying slightly.

"Bye, princess."

"Smell you later, nerf."

And that was the last time Alen saw Kitt before the ball incident. How times change..

~~~
Alen.

Na'Varro jerked upright, the familiar presence in his mind shocking him out of his slumber.

Kitt. That one was for her.

I'm done for. That one was for himself.

[member="Kitt Solo"]

Kitt Solo

Alen Na'Varro's Ex
[member="Alen Na'Varro"]

Apparently Kitt was a one-dimensional character in Alen's memories. No wonder why things hadn't worked out. But that was neither here nor there.

Kitt

She latched onto his thoughts and let his emotions act as her compass. She was at the base of the mountain, at the base of a structure that looked on the losing-end of its battle with nature. But the mountainside offered a nice buffer from the wind.

One plus out of a feth ton of unknowns.

Alen. Do you know where you are? Are you okay? She grasped that mental link again as she tethered the taun-taun and made her way through the snow, getting out her blaster. She walked toward the mouth of a cave-like entrance. Myrtle-ellipses caught a pair of double footprints not yet taken by the elements.

She knew a few things: she and Alen weren't alone and the footprints were fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom