Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would the avarge person know IC about the events of the movies and games?

So I ask this now so I don't make myself look stupid in the future but what is reasonable for a character to know about events of the movies and other media, For example in the omega event I mentioned that Claire was scared of the Omega weapon because she studied the fact that the Death Star destroyed Alderaan in school, would that be reasonable?

[member="Claire Ouron"]

As Undin, I make him know most of the mainstream stuff, because he spent a lot of his free time in Coruscant's library, so I do assume that something as big as the Death Star, would have been heard troughtout the whole galaxy.

Our storyline takes place 800+ years after the end of the canon plotline. Between then and now, we've had a plague and about three other galactic apocalypses. When the site began, we were just coming out of the Dark Ages. How much each individual character knows is entirely up to their writer, but the average NPC in the galaxy probably knows that Skywalker was some Jedi guy who lived forever ago.

The rest is likely just perpetuation by common knowledge. Sith are bad guys because Sith are bad guys. Mandalorians like to fight because Mandalorians like to fight.

Things like the Death Star, basic knowledge about the Clone Wars, basic knowledge about the Galactic Civil War (The Rebel Alliance-Empire war), and basic things like that would probably be fairly common knowledge.

Smaller events such as the Battle of Hoth or specifics about people like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker would probably only really be known by historians or people that studied historical events.

Visser Chernykh

No one makes the hero bleed.
They'd know about major events like we know about things like the Batlle of Canae or the Battle of Waterloo. That in spite of those things happening hundreds and thousands of years ago. We know of them but not necessarily specific detail. Unless your character might have a special reason to know more. Suppose, for example, you are part of a lineage.

As [member="Ludolf Vaas"] once helpfully pointed out to me, in Episode VII we have Rey and Finn quite inexplicably being surprised that some events surrounding the Rebellion and Jedi were even true, with Rey saying about Luke Skywalker "I thought he was just a myth", this being just a few decades from the event.

Imagine how knowledge and perceptions could change in 800 years!

But yes, to directly answer your question it's entirely reasonable your character would have learned about the Death Star in school.

[member="Claire Ouron"]
How much do you know about the Third Crusade? How much do you know about the Mongol campaigns of Genghis Khan and his successors?

That's what we're talking about here, but with an added dark age.

Well educated folks would know the 'history book' version for sure. For others they'd be just vague names and half-remembered facts.

Matreya

I cheated. Damien lived through most of the canon stuff. So I have Damien possessing a slightly higher than average knowledge of them. But even then, he only knows basics. It isn't like he can name dates etc. Plus he had forgotten a LOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom