Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now?

The Fringe's medical ship was unfamiliar to Mia, its crisp white surroundings but her on edge, but she never left Rel's side. It was her fault they were here after all. She had been so self abosorbed, so focused on what she needed to recover, she had't even thought of the effects that her torment had had on him. Dwarfed in a chair large enough to seat a wookie she sat hugging her legs, her eye fixed on his face as he rested.

She was torn apart by his actions. He had wanted to get shot, he had wanted to die. Who was she to deny that? Was she being selfish? She already knew the answer to that question. Of course she was being selfish, she had done nothing but be selfish since this started. Rel had given her his everything, built them a ship to hide them from the world so she could overcome the last attack that had left Mia reeling on the edges of sanity, held her hand every step of the way and now... now he couldn't cope.

She'd wanted to rage at him, to scream at him for being so selfish for wanting to leave her behind, but as the hours wiled away she came to realise what she was asking of him. There were two ways beyond this point. He'd already broken the jukre stuff around his mind and taken up a weapon, killed a man. Either he continued down that path or...

Or What?

She pulled the chair forward and laid her head on the bed, close to his hand and closed her eye. She had an answer that wasn't death, but she didn't like it.

[member="Bard of the Hyperlanes"]

Jorga the Hutt

When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade
SERPENA SYSTEM
[member="Mia Monroe"]

A Senator of the Republic could only last so long without attracting notice, by his actions or his absence. The Liberty's Veil helped with that; for all the Republic knew, he was on Eshan meeting with constituents. Today he answered to a constituency of one.

But how do you say I'm sorry I tried stepping into the line of fire, I'm sorry I tried to die when the words will break her heart more than the action? Is there any way to walk away without putting your weight where you've been? It's like walking on cracked ice.

In the end, lying there staring at the inside of his eyelids, he could only find one way forward, the path right before him.

"I'm sorry," he managed, quieter than he'd like. "There was a moment...there was a long moment there when I couldn't handle living in a 'verse where things like..."

He gestured at her hands, her face.

"I won't do it again. I'll be Hennst again -- be the man who can handle it." With a grunt, he levered himself up on his elbows. "I'm not afraid of that anymore. I know I should be, but..."

She kept her head where it was, blinking hard against the tears in her eye as he spoke, lifting it only when he pushed himself up. She still didn't look at him, she sat back and looked at her hands.No, not her hands. her hands were gone in their place were prosthetics, she curled her fingers into lights fists. She could hear the whir of the joints as she did. She opened them again. "I am." she said softly finally looking up at him "I'm afraid."

"I'm afraid I'm asking too much of you, to survive this. Its not fair that you should have to suffer with me." She wiped a tear from her face "I've lost count of the amount of times I've put the barrel of a blaster against my temple, yet every time I do I realise, if I die...they win and everything we've done, everything you've done, to stop that goes to waste. I can't let that happen. But that..." a ripple of pain shot through her system, taking her breath away as the portion of her mind she'd dedicated to crucitorn slipped. Not now. She didn't let the pain show in her face but it seeped into her voice "...that doesn't have to be your path too."

Curse Nemene. She would rip the woman's heart out for this.

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Mia Monroe"]

"But we both know I'm going to do it anyway. Don't close off my only way out -- you've seen me now when my back's to the wall. And if you need me as much as that, if you need me around, Mia-" He closed his eyes, sank back to the hospital pillow, collected his thoughts, pretended mention of her potential suicides didn't drive a spike through his heart. "If you need me around in any kind of a functional way, you're going to have to work past the fear of imposing on me. Because the only way I can get there is as Hennst, and by 'get there' I mean 'stay alive.' This is me doing what I can to be what you need. This is my only way out."

It wasn't the only way out. There was another way. He'd had his mind rewired before, she could do it again. He could forget her. The knowledge was there to do it, as was the power but was she actually capable of it? She didn't know. She didn't know if she could do it without screwing up, nor did she know if she even had the willpower to do it. She knew someone who could though, and she was pretty certain Je'gan would.

Would she survive without him? Knowing he was alive and well, but having no knowledge of her? Maybe. Though the odds were against her. She'd almost lost him today, and that was enough for her to want to tighten her grip on him.

All of it circled through her mind round and round it went and still she'd said nothing. Finally she got up from the chair and stood next to him. "Frak what I need." she said softly "Its always been about what I need, and the more I think about it, the more I realise how selfish I've been...the more I see what I'm becoming. There isn't a light at the end of this tunnel. Its a dark road, and I can't get off it. But I can get you off it. You could walk out of here in a couple of days and you would have never even known me."

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Mia Monroe"]

"No, you won't do that to me," he said quietly, eyes still closed, still flat on his back. "And here's why. I'm smarter than whatever chunk of Velok is buried in your head. I'd notice gaps in my schedule, in my achievements, in rationales for stygium for the Shev'la Kal. I'd feel melancholy around this ship, and good luck wiping the Liberty's Veil from my life in ways that someone won't notice. My brain's wired to associate the smell of blaster solvent with a thousand things about a woman, and I've never been with a warrior before you, so good luck creating a new one. I'm not saying it's not feasible, or that you couldn't make me forget for a week, a month, a year, but sooner or later I'd realize something was missing, and I would find out what it was. And maybe at some point in that week or month or year you'd need me to stay alive, and I wouldn't be there to fill that need. So if you're looking to show me a kindness, don't go that far. This is the hand we were dealt."

"Its a shid hand." The retort was sharp and a little louder than she intended.

"I just want to fix something, to make something right. Because there is nothing right about what I've done, about what I am going to do."

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Mia Monroe"]

He opened his eyes, nodded. "I can respect that. We'll just have to find another way. There's nothing right about what I'm going to do either. I've been dreaming in this bed, Mia. Things I always knew I could do, but never needed before now. Physics, firegems, crystallography, ysalamiri, baradium, stygium, thaissen, ionite, paddle beamers, magnets, microwave interference, Magwit's Mystifying Hoop -- I can make anything. And now I'm going to make things that'll kill Sith before they know they're dead.

"I'm going to start with a poison that only affects Darksiders and that keeps your pain to manageable levels unless you lose control. There's no way to strip all the Devaronian blood poison from your system, but I can make its effects conditional.

"I've been busy, lying here. I've got traction again. And I intend to make you the best weapons in history."

Mia sighed, her shoulders dropped slightly and she relented. If this was the hand they had been dealt then so be it, but she would do whatever she could to make the best of it. This wasn't about her any longer, it wasn't about what she needed, it was about what they both needed. Maybe somewhere down this path there would be another road for them, and they could find a measure of peace together. Until that time though, the sith would have to contend with two of the most dangerous people on their trail.

That brought a small smile to her face. "Oya." she said softly her hand moving over his.

"What do you need me to do?"

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Mia Monroe"]

"Get well," he said. "Finish physical training with your prosthetics, take a vacation, relax a bit if you can. Oh, and there's a pretty decent chance that some quantity of beskar will come in handy if you could dig some up with a beskarsmith who takes very precise custom orders. But overall, I've got the materials, I've got access to funds. I just need time to take the first project from groundwork to function. I've been working on it already, without much success, but sitting here -- well, call it inspiration, but I know what I need to do. So give me some time, a week or two, to see if I can't get it operational. And if that works, if I can cure your pain or at least get it down to manageable levels -- the next steps will blow your mind."

Relax...

Because that was a feasible thing to do when the sith were knocking on your door. She pursed her lips a frown creasing her forehead. A week or two? Her eyes glazed in thought. She still had a couple of animals to track and catch before she could enter the final stages of her own weapon.

Train? Yes, she could do that. Take a vacation? Not possible. "I'll get you some beskar, but theres other things I need to do before I can think about relaxing. What about the Senate? Sooner or later people will start asking what you're running off to do. I'm not exactly the Republic's favourite person."

Jorga the Hutt

[member="Mia Monroe"]

"I've kept us quiet this long, I can keep it up. As for the weapons research...well, I've got old habits for that. This sort of thing shows up on my schedule as meetings of specific and boring types. I'm on the finance committee -- I know how to bury things. That," he admitted, sitting up again, "and I've got my legs packed full of fifty thousand creds' worth of kolcta. But the Republic doesn't need to know I'll be mobile that quickly.

"I'll make it work, never fear. Get me that beskar, and I'll make you everything you need."

How long could he keep it up for? All it took was one slip, or one overly interested person with a sharp mind. She blew a sigh out her nose, the only vocalisation she gave to say she didn't like it. She didn't like any of the risks he was taking.

Hypocritical? Absolutely.

She reached to touch his face as he sat up, prosthetic hands registered pressure and sent signals to tell her nerves she was touching something, but it wasn't feeling not truly. She wanted to tell him she had everything she needed so long as he was with her, but the words wouldn't come out. They stuck in her throat as she stumbled over the fact that she couldn't feel through her hands any more.

Her hand dropped and a lump formed in her throat and for a moment she simply stood there, utterly lost.

Jorga the Hutt

Syncretic CounterIntelligence Neutralization/Erasure Technode

Chancellor:

Please excuse the informality of this report. I've supervised this project while recuperating from injuries sustained at Serpena, and the urgency of the project necessitates that I summarize my research notes as follows, despite the influence of powerful anesthetics.

Every once in a long while there comes an idea so all-pervasively broken that bureaucracy clings to it like a blankie. This was not one of those ideas. This was Chancellor Harkness chewing the ears off a stuffed gundark.

And it came to pass that Serenity, artificial intelligence of some note, was deployed to coordinate the entire Republic military, the entire Confederate military, and Baktoid (because conflict of interest is never a thing, especially not when Baktoid's owner is the Republic's director of intelligence, and the only person to whom the AI answers).

And lo, it came to pass that Rel Connory, Senator of Eshan and leader of the finance committee, did object to the outlay as well as the security ramifications in the most strenuous of terms. His objections and his terms were laboratory-related.

For Connory did have no patience with Baktoid nor with Serenity, whose programming tended to futz up the precision-tuned Mon Cal engineering of the MC180 Remembrance-class (a vessel with Connory's name on the design manifest, a couple of lines from the top).

And so began a project codenamed FIREFLY, under my own authorization, routed through Eshan Drive Yards and its subsidiaries. The project was one of many, a black box outside the realm of influence of either Serenity or GIA.

Therefore, that such abnormalities may be done away, I, Rel Connory, do hereby offer my preliminary report to Supreme Chancellor Popo. The AI Serenity, while passing into obsolescence due to upgrades across the board in Republic military technology, still represents a serious threat to our security and sovereignty. Her full capabilities are on file, though heavily secured and swept under various rugs; I've attached them. You will find that there are problems.

Project FIREFLY, codeword clearance exclusive of GIA, has begun to produce a semi-sentient artificial intelligence for defensive purposes. The AI has a hard-coded priority hierarchy as follows.

*Obedience to the Office of the Supreme Chancellor and a quorum of the senior military officials of the Republic
*The welfare of the Republic
*The preservation of Republic worlds and civilian lives
*The preservation of Republic computer systems security
*The preservation of Republic military assets

The AI's primary directive is to assure computer systems security against slicers and interference from rogue or enemy AI. It is a reactive, rather than proactive or offensive, system.

As you'll note in the attached logs, the Serenity model involves a handful of hardened main sites. Serenity's influence and operational presence analog percolate through tens of thousands of locations, including GIA agent uplinks and Republic starships, as well as Baktoid assets. Early on, we discovered that Serenity was a sword of Damocles, capable of doing significant damage to a substantial portion of the Republic. We do not exaggerate when we say that Serenity may be the single greatest threat to the Republic's security. Furthermore, as Serenity's presence requires a constant, high-volume uplink, and as the Republic military's wireless is maintained by Baktoid, the military's astronomical roaming charges are designed to siphon funds directly from the Republic to Baktoid. This is where the Finance Committee's jurisdiction came into play; attached is our report, which has also been forwarded to judicial authorities for potential prosecution procedures.

Capability prioritization came about through intermediate sessions, comparing our models with the digital echoes left by Serenity in a wide variety of Republic devices. A minor virus, a refinement on a keylogger, enabled us to clarify these echoes into a more comprehensive map of Serenity's core programming. The most thorough aspects of our model involve the means by which Serenity accesses Republic, CIS, and Baktoid devices and processors. Around the third month of our research, we were able to isolate and compile a list of ports and vectors, sufficient to heuristically predict and model Serenity's access capacities.

SCINET is the embodiment of that heuristic process, capable of locking Serenity out of any device or starship. In our later sessions, we decided that a decentralized model would both reduce cost by several orders of magnitude and ensure that our solution did not duplicate or continue the problem. Each SCINET AI program is replicable to any Republic device of starfighter grade or higher. Delegated coverage can percolate to, for example, service droids and personal devices.

In terms of defensive capabilities, an individual SCINET personality can usually be overcome but not coopted by a top-grade AI such as Serenity or the Red Queen. We tested this on captured Sith Empire AI nodes with varying degrees of success, but we're now confident that a SCINET copy can resist a major AI for up to half an hour, providing compromise alerts along a variety of vectors, before succumbing or being locked out of its corporeal sphere of responsibility. Our logs are attached, including a priority report depicting the destruction of a minor deep-space research facility when a captured AI proved too powerful for SCINET and too hazardous to staff. Subsequent test notes will confirm that a copy of that test AI was later overcome by two SCINET copies after further refinement. SCINET copy reinforcement-based cooperation is only feasible over intrasystem distances.

As for deployment method, we recommend that SCINET be quietly installed in a scheduled mandatory security software upgrade to all Republic assets. Timed update installation will ensure that the entire Republic is protected simultaneously. If project FIREFLY is approved for deployment, the Serenity AI will be locked out of Republic military and intelligence assets overnight. This project has been a Senate Finance Committee production, designed to enhance the Republic's financial asset protection capabilities.

-Connory

Mia blinked and shut down. She shut it all out, flicking the switch on her emotions as only a soldier could do. The lump went, the unspent tears retreated and a cold gaze lifted once more to settle on Rel. It was as if she'd shut the great gates to her mind, locking everyone out simply to keep her sanity, to maintain composure. She was not broken, she refused to be broken. Not again, not at the hands of a karking sith.

The switch faltered.

"I need to go." she said, her voice slightly cracked "I'll leave you the Veil, get a transport back home. There's some things I need to do, as well as get your beskar."

Two weeks. That was all she had. Two weeks to create a monster to hunt monsters. She wondered, even if she wasn't making something, even if the New Order weren't banging on their front door whether she would be able to rest. Part of her didn't care, the other part was afraid of the answer. She leant forward, to touch her forehead to his.

"I love you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom