Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War Stories

Ord Cetus | New Zantay Hills Mining Operation | [member="Xin Boa"]​
sandcrawler.jpg
Blue eyes squinted behind a pair of sunglasses, scanning the flat horizon. Hills loomed in the hazy distance, a glint of metal the only sign of life for kilometers around. The area was known for hardscrabble settlements, dotted by mining operations. Life was rough, difficult and harsh. Despite the barren appearance, Delila knew there were riches too. Ones hiding deep underground, buried underneath the sand and hills.

Booted feet moved slowly with the hulking piece of equipment, walking along its shadow. The shade provided a small piece of relief on assignment...well, only until she had to move around the vehicle once again. The Crawler moved at an excruciating slow pace. Such a pace that made it an easy target for thieves and pirates. Cue her job to guard it. Not the most glamorous line of work but considering she was a gun-for-hire now it meant a lack of steady paycheck. Survival meant taking as many as possible.

Blaster rifle slung over her shoulder, the redhead started a circle around the slow moving Crawler once again, checking for threats.

[member="Delila Castillon"]

The two figures walked side by side. One in shadow, one in direct light. It was Xin Boa who kept to the shade. Large goggles covered his eyes and only a few tattooed headtails escaped his cowl. Next to him a towering barabel with bright scales left a long track in the sand with his tail.

"You really enjoying that?" Xin asked incredulously.

"Yup. Cold blooded," Braktek replied. "How are you going to keep a look out from in that cowl?"

"How are you going to shoot anything with that sawn off?" Xin retorted.

"Might be close combat."

"In an open desert?"

"Stop being grumpy because you don't like the weather," the Barabel countered. It frustrated Xin that he couldn't goad the easy-natured reptilian into an argument.

"It dries out my skin. And the sun hurts my eyes."

"How you didn't get shanked in prison is a constant mystery," Braktek chuckled. Xin didn't seem to find any humour in the comment.

[member="Xin Boa"]

There was an audible sigh.

Delila wasn't sure about her backup on this assignment. It had been too large to take on by herself, the target far too valuable. Not that she hadn't thought of doing this alone. In the end she had met up with a small fleet of...drifters?...who seemed willing to help out.

She turned the corner of the Crawler to find two of them bickering like an old married couple. Perhaps they were a married couple. Delila tried the relationship and work together thing, crashed and burned. Hopefully the two kids currently arguing would make it.

"How's it lookin' out here? Anything unusual?"

"Well there's sand and..." Xin turned to look back at the crawler. "Yup still here. So not stolen yet."

His barabel companion glowered at his unprofessionalism. Xin knew that it was the effect of the climate in his mood. At the best of times his mouth could land him in trouble. All the luck in the Galaxy couldn't keep him safe if he was feeling like mouthing off.

Braktek was the senior member of the Fleet Dragoons and the much younger Xin wilted under his gaze. He looked back over at the human. A particular pattern of clouds crossing his inky black eyes indicated guilt.

"We've good sight of a good distance from the crawler. Anyone with some rapid skiffs could get on top of us quickly though no matter how much scouting we do. We don't have any probes that could get some height do we?"

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Not stolen yet? I hadn't noticed."

Delila made a mental note not to hire the tentacled on again. The barabel though....he seemed like someone she could work with. Someone not afraid to to get his claws dirty if push came to shove - which it always did. Blue eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses took in the landscape once more. They may not be able to do much if a raiding crew came upon them quickly...given the flat land however it would give some advanced warning.

"No probes. You can always climb to the top and look around, I've got some macros you could borrow."

A silence followed. Xin felt both human and barabel eyes on him. Underneath the robes that kept the worst of the sun away he shoulders sagged. Clearly the expectation was they he was going to be heading for the top of the sandcrawler. On one hand once he was there he would no longer be trudging across the sand, having it gradually sap the strength from his legs. It was just that the notion of climbing stairs in this heat brought him absolutely no joy.

"You still need a rifle," Xin remarked to Braktek. He took the E-22 rifle that hung across his chest and slung it over his shoulder. "I'll head on up then if I can borrow those?" he asked

"Oh, I'm Xin Boa, this is Braktek by the way," he said with a subtle bow.

"I'm here for repairs and enforcement," Braktek added. His split tongue gave a distinctive reptilian hiss to his words. "He's here as our good luck charm. He's actually quite good at spotting trouble," he added with a chuckle following a glare from the nautolan. "Don't thing he realised the climate before agreeing to come though."

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Good luck charm?" Delila shared a look with Braktek. "You've must had run into an incredible string of bad luck then. You have my sympathies."

Smirk was tossed in the direction of the Nautolan, half-joking. Although since they were not well acquainted the man might think otherwise. He was gearing up to climb to the top, something Delila would have did herself if the Nautolan wouldnt have 'volunteered'. The job wasn't going to last forever though. Delila doubted anyone would want to raid the slow moving vehicle. It would have been awfully hard to get away in time. Literally a snails pace out in the desert heat.

"Tell you what, I'll buy you both drinks when we get into the mining town. Up to five rounds on me."

"Hah!" Xin let out a short bark of a laugh at her quip. As far as Xin was concerned there were two kinds of luck. There was the kind that kept him alive from day to day. He tended to duck at the right time, spot the danger by chance. He seemed to have some of that to spare. Then there was the second kind of luck. The long term kind that would have put the drifter in a life of luxury after a string of good breaks. For some reason the 'verse had left him fresh out of that kind.

"Well, at that promise I'll cease complaining. For a time," Xin said, offering a half bow.

"You're an easy squid to please really," Braktek chuckled.

"I think mine will be four cold beers and a bucket of water," Xin said. The right corner of his lips twisted into a smile. Turning towards the crawler he broke into a jog and reached for a metal hoop sticking out of the hull. A series of them formed a ladder that ran up the entire height of the crawler. The cowl that shielded Xin from the sun fell free. Before setting out he'd been in a good mood and hence his tattooed headtails were decorated in more colourful wraps. There were no metal bands on account of the heat, but leather straps with beads and a couple of visible feathers. Xin braced with one elbow locked to a rung to bring the cowl back up and over his head. A bucket of water sounded a greater prize than the beers right now.

[member="Xin Boa"]

"On this planet the water is going to cost more than the beer."

Didn't mean she still wasn't going to buy it. Squid was going to need a bucket or three after the day they were putting in.While the whining ceased for a little bit their day was boring and grueling. There had been thought a raid was coming as they neared the mining town. They were quickly passed by an elderly man in a rickety speeder heading to the same town. If Delila had to guess, the planet was near deserted.

The sun was setting by the time they had reached the designated mine. Hot, sweaty and tired the three would get their credit payment for a job well done. Not that the job had been hard in some ways. Annoying would come to mind. Yet she kept her promise about the rounds, hitting the pitiful bar.

"Bet the beer here tastes like water..."

Three off-worlders didn't cause a commotion at the bar, but it did draw some attention. The sun-weathered locals must have had the odd convoy and guarded hauler come through these parts. Xin didn't enjoy the sensation of eyes on his back, but it didn't counterbalance the relief at being out of the sun. He seriously doubted there would be any trouble here. In some ways it was a shame he hadn't been in a single bar fight since being released. To pass the time in prison he'd learned a form of kickboxing. Nautolan skeletons were supple and difficult to break, but he had several lumps on his shins to show for the effort. His record, however, didn't need any more black marks right now.

"And the water like..." Xin's voice trailed off. With his cowl down he reached up and pulled his goggles from his eyes and let them hang around his neck. He could feel the divide where his skin had been protected by the goggles and the dry skin around that had been punished by sun, wind and dust.

The very first thing he did was take a cloth from his jacket and moisten it with the least water possible. He drew it gently across his forehead just above his eyes. The nautolan shot the mercenary a grateful look. It was obvious that right now that cloth brought him great relief. The barabel was more concerned with leaning over the bar and his beer.

"You do this kind of work often?" Xin asked. He realised she hadn't offered her name in return earlier but didn't ask; that might have been deliberate.

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Best not to think about the water."

Beer bottle in hand, Delila turned her back to the bar and faced the crowd. She could tell the Nautolan was nervous. She doubted little would come there way in terms of a fight. Maybe a few snide comments. A subtle push against them. Nothing she saw worth getting worked up for. Maybe in her younger years. Dusty boot hooked around the stool she took a long sip, listening to his question.

"No, not really. Its necessity." Another long sip. "Used to be a fairly decorated soldier. Went out of commission for a little bit....realized quickly the 'verse didn't need me. So here I am."

"Delila Castillon by the way. Most call me some variation of that, its entirely up to the both of you. How about you? Living the vagrant life, jumping from space port to space port and doing odd jobs?"

Xin didn't get any looks of derision from the crowd, but a couple at a table did watch his moisturising act in bemusement. The young nautolan didn't care, his skin was so dry it was almost painful to touch. He ignored them and tried to imagine what variations people could use. I-lah, Castie and Tillon didn't sound great. He decides he preferred the full Delila for now.

"Well you've got Squidly in a box there," Braktek chuckled.

"It's Xin Boa by the way," Xin said to the soldier. "And no matter how many times you say that it isn't catching on as a nickname Brak."

"I can try," the barabel replied. He seemed quietly determined on the matter.

"Actually we've come from the refugee Fleet stationed a few parsecs from here. They send people on errands and jobs to bring some credits back and try and earn enough favour to secure passage," Xin said. It didn't sound as impressive as being a decorated soldier, but perhaps a gave him a little more integrity.

"Xin's been with us for a week," Braktek added, instantly undermining him. Xin's shoulders sagged a little. "We picked him up after he'd been in a sith prison for getting caught in a heist."

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Squidly eh?" There was a grin on her face, a gentle nudge of his arm. "Brak is clearly a genius."

Delila listened to the two banter. It was revealed they had known each other for roughly a week but to her it had seemed like a lifetime. Thoughts had drifted back to when they she thought they were an old married couple. A chuckle escaped her lips at the thought. A shake of her head.

"Sith prison eh? So you're not overly bright but tough. I'm honestly surprised to you lived to see the light of day."

Eyebrows raised at the mention of the refugee fleet.It didn't sound right to her.

"Sounds like slavery." Tone was harsh, mind spinning. Enough favor to earn passage? What if you didn't? "Why don't you both come work with me. I'm a one woman operation right now....Can't promise much in credits. You'd have to share a room but you'd get your own bunk."

"Whatcha say Squidly and Brak?"

To the background of Brak's rumbling laughter Xin made his protest. "Oh come on, don't humour him." The chuckle from the barabel was akin to a small landslide of rocks.

Xin sighed emphatically. "You know that's going to carry on at least another week now." The barabel shrugged. Xin had been rather nervous around the Dragoons he'd been introduced to. Partly because they had frightened off Yulon's thugs to take Xin back to the Fleet. Partly because they were all large, well armed and surly. It seemed that was mostly on the surface. Inso was a deep thinker for an aqualish, Brak was almost mischievous when he wasn't tinkering with mechanics. Hirrau... We'll Hirrau pretty much embodied his appearance. He was, at least, usually professional about it.

Xin took a sip of his drink and waited for the laughter to subside. There was apparently serious business in the table.

He narrowed his eyes and stuck out his jaw to one side in contemplation. "Slavery? Oh no like that I mean... Well the fleet isn't that popular when it shows up apparently. I mean earn the right with local systems to drive a massive refugee population through. No one has to earn passage to stay aboard..."

He looked to Brak for confirmation. The Barabel nodded.

"I travelled with them for a few months way back, it was mostly Corellian then. Well, still seems to be, but it's a lot bigger now," Xin said.

"No dice for me sorry," Brak said. "Got a lot of people to look out for back there."

Xin made no likewise assertion. He didn't have family on the Fleet. They'd managed to get him out of a tight spot, but that debt had been repaid now. He decided to sip his drink instead. It really did taste like slightly wheaty water. Whilst he contemplated Brak added more.

"On the flip side..." The barabel started, "we often have big jobs that need more gun hands than we've got."

"Are you asking if she wants to go on your little black rollerdex? You saucy lizard you," Xin quipped. His mind had turned from his future to his past. He wasn't important enough to get any serious treatment from the Sith. Just a prison facility where inmates were permitted, if not encouraged, to do harm to each other.

[member="Xin Boa"]

Delila nodded. She could respect the fact Brak had a commitment to the people back on the fleet. Even if she didn't quite think the situation was on the up-and-up. Damn shame too, a partner like Brak would have been invaluable. Even Squidly was important, Delila could tell already he was a thinker, someone who would keep things on an even keel. The brains behind gunning and running.

"I had to ask. I understand having to look out for fellow crew."

She grinned at Brak.

"You could have buttered me up a little more before asking for my number Sweetheart." Teasing laced through her tone. "As much as I love having two handsome men on my arm daily.....I don't trust your fleet. I'm sorry. I wouldn't mind working with either one of you at any time."

"See," Xin gave Brak a well humoured slap with the back of his hand. He liked that Delila seemed able to get to the point in a timely whilst still meandering through some humour on the way there. He couldn't abide by the other extremes of never letting a joke go or never saying anything of any importance.

"You just have to try some complements first." Xin took a long swing of his drink then placed it on the bar and dusted down his hands as if about to get on with an arduous task. He put an exaggerated expression of concentration on his face.

"Do humans complement hair?" He asked. "Is that a normal thing to do?"

[member="Xin Boa"]

Delila finished her drink with a raised brow. Bottle empty, she motioned the bartender for another drink. Squidly seemed to be getting into position to propose something serious. There was some miming and a change in his posture. Eyes met Brak's and she gave a slight roll of her blue-green orbs, clearly directed at the Natuloan between them.

"They could, I suppose. I don't need any more comments on how red my hair is. Does my attitude match. Am I related to so-and-so. Please spare yourself the embarrassment." There was a shrug of her shoulders. "I'm old Squidly. I'm not sure the mating rituals that are supposed to occur anymore."

Xin flat out laughed at that. At least until he heard Brak add "oh, squidly " between chuckles. It abruptly stopped and he fixed the barabel with a glare. Of course the barabel would have wiped the floor with his headtails if they actually entered a fist fight, but Xin knew that Brak was after a reaction really. He would play up to it. For now.

Both of them had deep voices, but Brak's had more weight and emphasised sharp sounds. It was slightly raspy. By contrast Xin tended to emphasise vowels and round off his words.

"Alright, without me starting to stare, how old are you? Nautolans tend to lose skin tone over time and I'm not great at telling a human's age. Also is red hair a particularly desirable trait in humans? Do people dye their hair then? Do they ask about your relatives because breeding and family status matter greatly?" Delila had opened a small Pandora's box now. Xin was nothing if not curious and didnt always know when to stop talking.

He didn't know much about human rituals. Nautolans tended to braid their headtails more colourfully, which was why he'd asked about the hair. One of his old friends had, however, once offered some advice on humans and their mating rituals over drinks. Well, less the rituals part and more the culmination.

Goa had proclaimed that he had two pieces of advice on the matter having experienced the process 'at least three times'. At the time he had held up four fingers. Xin wasn't sure if that meant he'd been drunk and not in control of his fingers, or so drunk he'd forgotten two important pieces of advice.

"Right, number one. And this is the one that catches you out. Human females swear a lot. Like, lots. It's actually slightly scary. If they don't tell you to stop it's probably alright. You're not hurting them."

"That's...odd..."

"I know," Goa had said with a shake of his head. "But try and ignore it."

"And two?"

"Two? Oh yes right. Erm try and warm them that we grapple a lot. They evolved in the air remember, so they're used to let gravity do half the work."

[member="Xin Boa"]

Another cold bottled beer was soon in her hand as she listened to Squidly's questions. They were incredibly amusing to her, although being respectful she wasn't going to show it. Squidly probably knew next to nothing about human dating preferences, just as she had no idea what was ideal for Nautolans. Water was probably a turn on somehow. You know, if she had to guess.

"Old enough to dye my hair to keep the streaks of gray at bay....Although red is my natural color. You can stare all you want though Squidly, starin' is free." A wink and another swig of beer as she thought about his very numerous questions. "As for red hair, I think it signals the exotic for some. Which may have some...sexual connotations. Depending on your sub-culture scattered throughout the 'verse."

"As for family....I suppose it can be important. Some may marry for money or to settle clan disputes. To gain property or power. Different for everyone I guess. Family can be important though....I'm still close to my former sister-in-law. Trust me, family can make a marriage hell."

Delila downed a good portion of her beer and shrugged.

"I'm probably not the best person to ask though."

"Oh right yes. Human hair loses colour with age doesn't it?"

"Xin!" the nautolan received a swift backhand from the barabel. Xin rubbed it and gave Brak a scowl.

"Was just saying. We don't get all wrinkly like humans do. Our skin colour just tends to fade and get spotty." He gave a shrug. Then he grinned.

"I am sure that your hair is..." He paused, turning circles with his index finger as he thought. He looked to Brak for ideas. The reptile threw out his arms wide and shook his head. Xin had a medley of words to describe headtails but none to hand for hair.

"Lustrous! That's a good word yes! Lustrous red hair!" He chuckled, well aware that this was exactly what she had told him not to do. He turned on his stool to find another beer already waiting.

"Thank you!" He said, making a mock salute with the bottle. "So, your brother or sister still on good terms with their ex? Or do you even care?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom