Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voxyna-class Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
loki.jpg

Image Credit: http://freespacegalaxy.de/forum/upload/loki.jpg
Intent: To develop a speedy interceptor with basic jamming capabilities to annoy enemy fighters and bombers.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Subach-Innes
Model: Voxyna-class Interceptor
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: No
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Fiberplast(hull), Duranium(frame)
Description: Not a stealth fighter, nor a true interceptor, the Voxyna is a starfighter designed primarily to agitate those who'd try to pass it off as a simple hostile craft that would be easily dealt with. Capable of carrying three proton torpedoes and mounting a quartet of light laser cannons, the Voxyna's hull is less durable than your standard interceptor. Its shields are, as well, not as capable as comparable Subach products like the Angel or the Scalpel, though it does maintain performance equal or superior to both(thanks to its smaller size and the antimatter reactor it runs on) and mounts the engine of the former. The fiberplast, used in the StealthX of Galactic Alliance fame, works in concert with a jamming suite installed in the nose of the fighter. This jamming suite renders any hostiles within two hundred and fifty meters of the fighter in question incapable of solidly locking onto a target, their radar being scrambled as well for as long as the Voxyna is within range. The Voxyna itself will not fully appear on the radar of a ship at any range, instead appearing to be a blurred, static-filled blip randomly sparking on and off the sensor screen. They do however show up perfectly fine to the eye when in visual range, and are relatively easy to destroy with a few laser blasts.

This jamming does however have a downside - Voxynas will appear to be scrambled blips on a friendly ship's targeting computer as well, and if in range, a friendly ship can have its targeting systems jammed as well. Standard protocol is for Voxynas to automatically switch their jammers off if within five hundred meters of an allied ship.

Classification: Interceptor
Role: Harassment
Height: 7m
Width: 10m
Length: 15m
Power Core Generator/Reactor: 2:1 Matter-Antimatter Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Minimum Crew: 1
Optimal Crew: 1
Armaments:

• 4 light laser cannons
  • 2 torpedo launchers(carrying 3 proton torpedoes)
Hangar: N/A
Non-Combative Attachments:
  • Communications Array
  • Encryption Network
  • Sensor Jammer
  • Standard Shield Generator
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Sensor Array
  • Standard Targeting Systems
Passenger Capacity: N/A
Cargo Capacity: N/A
Consumables: 3 days
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability:
Class 1

Okay, several things.

Firstly this interceptor is HUGE, easily shuttle size which makes it hard to believe that simply using plastic hulling and a simple jamming suite (needs to be in the NCA list btw) would provide the level of stealth you're suggesting. Remember the stealth X's also had thrust dampeners, reflec coating, and used a special fuel type.

You're also using an absolute saying, "any hostiles within two kilometers of the fighter in question incapable of locking onto a target, their radar being scrambled as well for as long as the Voxyna is within range." This is very overpowered and would enable a single one of these to incapacitate an entire fleet both offensively and defensively.

And as always, stealth tech should have a development thread.

[member=Enigma]

[member="Domino"]

And the tag didn't show up. :|

Will downsize it, in that case. Will edit the jammer in. The ship isn't designed to be a stealth fighter so much as it is annoying to lock onto, hence why the ship's appearance on the radar is of a fuzzy, sporadic blip - not invisible.

I'll reduce the jamming capabilities as well to a much shorter range.

And, well... Not a stealth fighter, so I don't really see the rationale for requiring a dev thread.

That's alright, I was out sick and taking care of RL issues, back now. [member="Ashin Varanin"]
Sorry for the wait [member="Enigma"] I should have passed this off to someone else when I went down.

As for the sub, there are several things that are still 'off' in the description. You say armor and shields are inferior to previous interceptors, and with plasteel I can see that, but you then say you have equal or superior performance to the two without explanation of how or why. And I'm also uncomfortable with a mass-produced interceptor doing so much when traditionally they're as stripped down as can be to save on mass, especially with just a range limit on your jamming. A single squad of these could theoretically lock down hundreds of hostile ships, or is this affecting all ships including allies? I'd be okay with that as you haven't excluded them from the jamming or explained how they would be.

After some serious discussion, fellow staffers and I have come up with a list of things that need to be done to get this to the point it can be approved.
  • Omni-directional jamming with a 250m radius on a mass-produced interceptor-sized ship is impossible
  • Directional rather than omni-directional; think fighter jamming beams in the TIE Fighter games.
  • Size limit on ships affected. Substantial dev thread for capital ship jamming.
  • The jamming suite needs its own sub.
  • Stealth as is, with a dev thread. Potentially at minor production.
[member="Enigma"]

[member="Domino"]

No thank you. If staff's going to do that, go ahead and archive this, please. I cannot put that much effort into completely changing and modifying this design from what it currently is.

And it's not stealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom