Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Vonduun Skerr Ygdris - Crab Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
ME2_Collector_Armor.png
FemaleCollector.jpg

Intent: Two purposes. First, to reward [member="Vrag"] for her assistance with the One Sith reclamation of planets during the Netherworld event. The second purpose is to help Vrag and Reverance assimilate into the ranks of the Legion Yun'Do, Reverance's personal force of Vong from the Hrosha-Gul. This can be used by other PC's but requires direct permission and development through the Legion Yun'Do shapers on Selvaris, and thus, Reverance.

Development Thread: A case of crabs.

Manufacturer: [Reverance]/Legion Yun'Do/Hrosha-Gul

Model: Personal Armor, Vonduun Skerr Ygdris

Affiliation: Hrosha-Gul/Legion Yun'Do

Modularity: No

Production: Limited

Material: Vonduun skerr kyrric , Armorweave, Rebreather, Powerpack, Durasteel

Classification: Highly Resistant Armor (anti-blaster, anti-slug, anti-lightsaber)

Weight: 15 kg

Quality: 9

Special Features:
-Lightsaber Resistant
-Slugthrower Resistant
-Blaster Resistant
-Substantially augments users strengths and speed (lifting double the users weight and being capable of punching through duracrete walls, calf and thigh muscles see an increase in capability)
-Space worthy (coupled with technological enhancements such as rebreather and body glove - 2 hours supplied oxygen)
-HUD with multiple viewing spectrums, including IR, UV, Night Vision, Thermal, and AR (Augmented Reality) for enemy tracking
-Thermally insulated against drastic changes in temperature

Description:

After partitioning a majority of Selvaris for Vong-forming purposes, Reverance began work on development a humanoid specific Vonduun Skerr Kyrric. Despite common misconceptions of vonduun crab armor, the armor is often a composite of multiple crabs that are shaped specifically to it's wielder. Thus, after getting proper measurements for both Reverance and Vrag, taking into the account the need for some technology within the armor, non-traditional vong shapers were put to task on preparing the armor to the prescribed details given by the Wrath of the Dark Lord.

Beginning from the inside out, the first component of the Vonduun Skerr Ygdris is actually not vong at all, but instead an armorweave body suit that is vacuum sealed. A dual layer of armorweave and composite specifically manufactured to hermetically seal the suit, built with intentions of insulating the user from force lightning (a widely known weakness of the vonduun crab) and the depressurization of space. This allows for a bit of a safety net, as well, as it helps to diminish the chance of puncturing the suit.

On top of the armorweave, multiple crabs were stretched and shaped to meet the proportions of the user. These crabs were grown in harvesting bogs in depressional and low elevation locations of Selvaris. Taken from a specific stock, in attempt to develop rapidly aged vonduun crab in replication of Czulkang Lah's crab armor, this suit gives the user a substantial boost of strength. This is fairly obvious of the suit, as the crabs have a more aged look and fairly visible muscle striations that work in tandem with the wearers basic muscle capacity. However, with a single low effort push, Vrag was capable of breaking a few of Rev's ribs, who was armorless at the time. While the value of the strength cannot be quantified, it is directly dependent on the user and will have significant combat impact.

By and large, the development of the suit is relatively simple for Vong standards. However, afterwards, scientists under the employ of the Wrath were put to work in order to marry technology to a relatively resistant Vong species. After a bit of plying, the suits were fitted with a HUD system often employed in similar suits. This HUD allows the user to view the environment along multiple bandwidths and spectrums, including IR, UV, Night Vision, Thermal, and through an Augmented Reality HUD, which essentially supplements stimuli with computer generated information to assist in tracking targets. The computing systems are coupled with a highly pressurized tank re-breather that works in tandem with the HUD, displaying the available stored atmosphere for the user (dependent on the user, typically a common air tank). Without puncture, the tank can hold roughly 2 hours of usable atmosphere, though it must be checked on a 90 day interval to meet Hazardous Safety Standards employed by the benevolent One Sith. Power to the HUD and rebreather system were provided via standard power cell units, which are also required to be replaced on a semi-annual basis.

Because of the well known weakness of the species to Baffor pollen, the armor has been treated with numerous Bafforka Bore Worms, to meet the needed resistance. This suit comes standard with a chitin carbine, shaped to match the desire to induce fear so common in the Legion Yun'do. For locations that are considered somewhat vital and not covered by vonduun crystal lattice armor, molded plates of Durasteel were used to offer extra protection against kinetic damage (cod piece, for example).

Strengths:
[+] Highly resistant to damage, as is common to the Vonduun crab armors.
[+] Augments users strength substantially (listed above for more specifics). Would also increase speed, as the muscles of the calves and thighs are augmented.
[+] Resistance to Bafforr pollen
[+] Spaceworthy with supplied atmosphere
[+] Force dead - Like all vong species, this species is relatively immune to the force.

Weaknesses:
[-] Susceptible to Spark Bee Honey (common vonduun allergy)
[-] Typical weak points of armor, though its supplemented with a body glove. Damage to gills, in the armpit, can kill the crab.
[-] While the wearer is insulated from electricity, the vonduun can be killed with force lightning
[-] Living - Unlike other armors, this is a living species. While it can slowly heal against damage, it will also die of old age, requiring another suit be created through the same task of tedious shaping.

Primary Source: N/a

Additional Images: Standard Chitin Carbine (comes with the suit, but doesn't have to be used)
793_max.jpg

[member="Reverance"]

Could I ask you to elaborate a little more on the strength boost?

Is this along the lines of: can carry a bit more stuff, can punch a touch harder?

[member="Raziel"]

I was thinking low level stuff, punching something a bit harder, being able to lift stuff a bit heavier than normal, nothing like a power suit or crushgaunts. Would you have suggestions on it, canon is relatively bleak in detail in regards to this subject and crab armor.

[member="Reverance"]

I would say if augmentation provides a boost to combat, I'm going to put this under the "power armour" heading and require just a short 10 post dev.

[member="Raziel"] I'd like to be given an opportunity to defend this before I have to dev it...

I'm not, by any means, subbing something that is not canon. I see this more as a personalized and prettier form of canon, nothing more. A wookiee quote:

The vonduun crab's spear-like legs were extremely sharp, and could be used as weapons. One set, called "grip legs", would sometimes grab the corner of the wearer's mouth, giving them an evil, skull-like smile. Vonduun crab armor had crystalline properties, and was resistant to blasters, slugthrowers, and even lightsabers. Certain varieties were known to augment wearers' strength as was the case with the elderly former Warmaster Czulkang Lah and his aged vonduun crab armor.

Now, I think if anything, this is a case of me being forced to develop something that is canon due to the lack of information in canon, pertaining to this specific effect of some crab armor. I understand that, but I'd like to try and flesh out the particular subtlety of it, instead of using up time to develop something that has historical canon precedence and would easily see play in invasions and skirmishes without development.

"I am old. But for my augmented armor, I could barely move. Aches befall me that have nothing to do with the marks I have put on myself over the years. And I am little but an honored prisoner here, unable to lead, and begged by my son not to die."
―Czulkang Lah[src]

"He was a warrior of the Yuuzhan Vong, his face so thoroughly scarred and tattooed that the decorations all but hid his wrinkles of age, his augmented vonduun crab armor concealing the leanness of active venerability. In his hands, coiled like a long rope, was an amphistaff of unusual type - far longer, much more slender than the standard Yuuzhan Vong weapon." - I have provided link to the pdf of the book itself, for reference.

As you can see, I use augmented particularly in this situation because that is how it is commonly referred in book and wookiee. However, this a situation where they fail to elaborate on the notion of augmentation, leaving it vague to a purpose that allows a broken man to fight, unbroken. I would think this wouldn't require a development thread, mostly because of it's grounding in canon and the fact that I'm not doing anything new. Vonduun Skerr Kyricc have shown, in particular instances in canon, to be capable of augmenting the users fitness and this isn't seen as something that is rare - just often unused as the youthful don't need it and the Vong are, except in rare cases, not ones for long life.

I can put in a small scale if that would make things better, or perhaps reword it? I'm hesitant about developing something like this as it will depart from canon, which was not my intent with the armor.

[member="Reverance"]

Many thanks for providing the detailed references available (no really, so much better to go straight to the source material, rather than unverified comments on a wiki! :) )

Is this the only reference in canon sources?

In my current understanding, this is not something that was widely written about as an advantage of the armour, but we have a single example of crab armour providing augmented strength.

My concern here is precedent. We limit power armour for a reason, and I don't want a precedent of crab armour, already superior to nearly anything else that doesn't require development, also being used for strength enhancement.

For this reason there are two options:

1) A line is added to the submission that clarifies that whilst this might let you carry a few more kgs of weight into battle and add a little strength, the effect on combat ability is negligible.

2) 10 post dev thread.

Overall, it's a very solid submission, but I hope you can see where I am coming from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom