Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Velok Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
cherry_cthulhu_idol_2_by_coppercentipede-d5r1mpl.jpg

Image Source: Here
Intent: A talisman for use against gods, demi-gods, would-be gods, Elder Gods, and all things like unto them -- for purposes of countering plot empowerment.
Development Thread: Dray Holocron obtained here
Godslaying-related things:
-Kills an apocalyptic god of the Knell of Muspilli
-Kills a planetary demigod, acquires his status and worshippers
-Builds a godslayer for use against the Dark Lord
-Fights one of the gods of Moross
-Fights a major servant of Akala
Manufacturer: Rave Merrill
Model: N/A
Affiliation: Personal
Modularity: No
Production: Semi-unique (4)
Material: The tusks of Velok (original body, taken as Mandalorian trophies some time ago) and the tusks of Lotek'k, the Terror From Beyond
Classification: Talisman of Plot-Empowerment Removal
Size: Handheld
Length: 10cm
Weight: 0.4kg
Ammunition Type: The Force (will not function in a ysalamir field)
Ammunition Capacity: Infinite. Must be 'reloaded' with a sincere supplication to the aegis of Velok, and it knows if you're repeating yourself.
Effective Range: 20 metres
Rate of Fire: Single action invocation. Must be 'reloaded' with a sincere supplication to the aegis of Velok, and it knows if you're repeating yourself.
Special Features: Nullifies improbable destinies
Description: The emblems were carved from dark ivory, in the form of the ancient Thrella god Pomojema -- a derivation of the Sith god and transdimensional being known as Typhojem. The form is crude enough, however, that some have seen an immense, hooded, cloaked Whiphid in its imagery. The emblems are symbolic of hunger for transcendent knowledge and for surpassing challenge, and change and chaos and audacity. They represent a bloody passion for hunting the unknown and laying pride to waste. They were made of the tusks of Velok and of an elder god, extrapolating upon study of the Dray Holocron's denial of destiny. They were made, in general, because Rave Merrill just keeps running into gods.

The talismans were made using Sith alchemy, Nightsister crafting, and Tashai scrimshander arts. Their purpose is to assist in the killing of gods; they accomplish this purpose with a blast of eye-watering wrongness that is difficult to look at. The blast has no direct corporeal effect, involves no energy, transfers no kinetic impact. The blast, which spans perhaps five metres at its twenty-metre maximum effective range (targets beyond that will experience massively reduced but noticeable effects up to perhaps a hundred metres), affects the flows of the Force which have to do with destiny and probability. The talismans are blasphemous in the sense that they represent apathy or even opposition towards the will of the Force, but they were not made for the purpose of overcoming the will of the Force, though they can. They were made to overcome those aspects of Force-based identity which lend some beings good fortune, impressiveness, perfect timing, and overwhelming might proportional to exigent circumstances.

They were made, in short, to strip away or at least reduce any possible reliance on 'it's not my time', 'I am upheld by their reliance on me, their strength willed to me, their belief in me', 'Force Deity X has a plan for me', 'I was never meant to die here', 'it is fitting that we should duel', 'only I can defeat him', 'only he can defeat me', 'this moment demands that I be able to do this', 'my timing is somehow perfect', 'I arrive in the nick of time', 'speak of the devil', and all other examples of voluntary or involuntary bending of probability through will and belief. It negates what a writer might call plot empowerment, a statistically verifiable phenomenon whereby an individual's importance to a given series of events often has a marked impact on luck, survival rates, and observed Force power. Likewise, it is known to have the side effect of counteracting probability fluxes relative to destined pairings of opponents. Under the influence of a blast from a Velok Emblem, the plucky hero actually fails against staggering odds, the Dark Master's ascendancy loses gravitas, the evil twin finds someone else to fight, the inevitable confrontation never quite materializes.

A Velok Emblem is most potent against beings that have declared themselves gods, demi-gods, pseudo-gods, and gods-in-all-but-name of one kind or another, especially those with actual followers. Its blast, against a true worshipper, can affect the strength of the god in question, primarily its ability to empower its follower(s). An emblem can also protect its wielder against that being's influence; if such a being is attempting to influence or overcome an emblem's protection, the wielder is surrounded by a shield of eye-watering wrongness that affects only others. The talisman itself is difficult to look at. This quality, presumably, is an echo of the Sith Spellbook.

A Velok Emblem's effects can be suppressed with Force Drain or Force Light, contingent upon the wielder's ability to counter those powers. A Velok Emblem cannot override free will, though it has been known to shift targets' priorities.

Note: In reference to someone else's concerns that this is outside the spirit of Star Wars, I'd present the following list of canon items and principles that do similar things or operate in similar ways.

First, 'the Dark Side clouds everything.' Palpatine's machinations and growing strength had the direct effect of interfering with the Jedi Order's perception of, and access to, the will of the Force. (Source: Revenge of the Sith)

Second, the Taurannik Codex. Destroyed in 100,000 BBY and reassembled/translated by Cronal, it gave the ancient Knell of Muspilli the ability to summon 'apocalyptic gods' from Beyond Shadows and gave Cronal the ability to compel the soul of Dathka Graush to answer his questions. It represents the Force giving direct access to beings considered godlike, as well as the means of compelling them or suppressing them. (Source: Shadows of Mindor) I should also mention that Rave and her people spent five threads recovering and translating the Codex.

Third, the Dagger of Mortis, a weapon capable of killing anything, of interrupting the essential Force roles of the Son and the Daughter. It represents the ability of the Force and agency to interfere with immense and significant patterns of the Force. (Source: The Clone Wars)

Fourth, Darth Nihilus' relationship with Force Drain and Palpatine's Dark Side ritual. Nihilus' use of broad-scale Force Drain, such as against the Miraluka world of Katarr, focused heavily on exploiting existing Force bonds over massive ranges. His Force Drain could affect linked beings. Comparably, Palpatine could affect Yoda's soul, directly, across galactic ranges, using Dooku's old Force bond with Yoda as a vector. (Sources: KOTOR2 and The Clone Wars)

Fifth, the alchemical process by which the Sith Emperor created the Emperor's Voice and the Children of the Emperor. This involved long-range possession, empowering them with the Emperor's will. A special, taxing technique was used by the Jedi to shield beings from the Emperor's influence. This item is a close parallel to that situation and technique. (Source: The Old Republic)

Sixth, ysalamiri. Ysalamiri represent the potential for all Force effects to be countered and nullified, including influence by virtue of Force connections between beings, as expressed in the use of ysalamiri to prevent clone madness (which arose due to Force resonance, as noted by Luke Skywalker when facing his own clone). (Source: The Last Command)

Seventh, the Emperor's Hands. Palpatine was able to reach out across galactic distances, empower his Hands with his knowledge, and imprint his will on their minds. That is the sort of influence that this artifact is designed to counter. (Source: The Last Command)

Eighth, the Oracle Stone/Darksight/Heartshadow/flow-walking. The Oracle Stone was a significant Sith artifact designed to allow Sith Lords to interact directly with probability and destiny. Its success rate was not absolute, but it was comparable to flow-walking and Darksight/Heartshadow in terms of its ability to allow Darksiders to perceive and attempt to influence destiny. (Sources: Dark Empire, the Legacy novels, Shadows of Mindor)

[member="Rave Merrill"]

My Dearest Rave. How are you? Because of what I think this is for or could be used for I am going to double check the development threads and pertinent links and then if all checks out I will stamp it.

I'm on it let me read and I'll make a decision.

[member="Rave Merrill"]

Ok. As it turned out I had already read 75% of those linked threads and the last was not that long. So, that said, due to the pertinent information and the work put in along with the understanding that this will not break site rules on GMing. I am going to say....

ChuckNorrisApproved.jpg
PENDING SECONDARY!!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom